|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic Origins (ORI)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
: Add to your mana pool. When that mana is spent to cast a red instant or sorcery spell, copy that spell and you may choose new targets for the copy.
|Have (16)||ironax , sneferie , Mousemke , jstn.mrrtt , Fairseas , Epidilius , Va1mar , itheoryz , ducttapedeckbox , OneEyedKing , Horizon97 , rockleemyhero , conker3009 , , CAPT.Shock , Nemesis|
|Want (10)||jkpker , Zidon , yeoldsmithy , hotmaildotcom1 , Karkelo , facepalmmuted , rightturner , ferretgr , Drops , Malachy_|
Pyromancer's Goggles Discussion
1 day ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
2 days ago
What this deck really needs is a center of gravity.
As is mentioned above, you're running Nullhide Ferox and Nikya, but you've got a ton of instants and sorceries. If you wanted to build a creature-centric build, then you should focus on that, including cards like Guardian Project , Regal Force , Soul of the Harvest , Lifecrafter's Bestiary , and Beast Whisperer .
If you want to go the GR token route, focus on your Instants and Sorceries. Flesh out those producers, and include cards like Pyromancer's Goggles , Primal Amulet Flip, Reverberate , Increasing Vengeance , Fork , Doublecast , Dual Casting , and Howl of the Horde .
There are a lot of Goblins and a lot of Elves. If you want to go tribal, there are a ton of both Elf and Goblin lords to draw on, as well as tribal boons like Vanquisher's Banner , Shared Animosity , Tribal Unity , Kindred Summons , etc.
Finally, you're running Wilderness Reclamation , Electrodominance and Rhada as your Commander. If you want to build with huge Instants, throw in Wort, the Raidmother and Rosheen Meanderer and fill the deck with cards like Chord of Calling , Commune with Lava , Comet Storm , Fall of the Titans , Squall Line , and Strength of the Tajuru .
6 days ago
Very Solid. There are some sub-optimal choices imo, but overall, nicely focused.
Shock is just not worth the slot in EDH. Leyline of Lightning is ok, but can be pretty mana intensive to keep using, especially in a land destruction deck, I don't see it being worth it. Guttersnipe is always nice, but with you creature wipes, you might kill it without a big payout. Keep an eye on how many X spells you have too, you might be shooting yourself in the foot, unless you add more artifact ramp, like a Fire Diamond and Ruby Medallion . Treasure Nabber can put everyone between a rock and a hard place if they are using artifact ramp. You'll also need some more card draw so that your single target removal keeps up with the board. Pyromancer's Goggles can help keep you up with 3 other players. If you fall behind, Acidic Soil and Price of Progress might be nice backups. Mana Web , War's Toll , Tectonic Instability might slow everyone down too.
Red has a huge weakness: Enchantments. You might want to add some enchantment hate, just in case. Even though they are costly Meteor Golem and Spine of Ish Sah are ok. Enchanter's Bane could fit in here real well.
I know you love your goblins, but I think Stuffy Doll is just better than Mogg Maniac . If you really want to anger people, mass land destruction is best: Ruination , Obliterate , Jokulhaups , Decree of Annihilation , and Impending Disaster are the most well known. Even an early game Tremble could be infuriating. If you your deck can get some tokens, or just fodder creatures Shivan Harvest might be fun. Mine Layer would cause a lot of frustration. So would Price of Glory , but it can hurt you too. I personally love Volcanic Offering because it can make someone mad at someone else. Bend or Break can divert some attention from you too.
You don't need to take any of these suggestions, but they might be nice ideas for a sub theme, or a different way to think about how the deck could be run. I am not looking forward to this monstrosity lol
2 weeks ago
@Gidgetimer, Drunken Reaps:
In previous drafts of this deck, I never used to run stuff like Bolt and Spike for the same reasons you outlined: doing 3 damage of the minimum 40 is, frankly, underwhelming. It wasn't until I got closer to this iteration of the deck that I considered them more. I looked over my options for Instant and Sorcery Burn sources and concluded that if I was going to get anywhere, I had to at least try them. So far things are alright. As one off damage and no momentum a la crap draws, they're awful. In the GY, however, with an active Kess and more expensive Spells in my hand - say, Neheb, the Eternal , which turns Bolt and the like into a better Pyretic Ritual - and they're great for playing when you'd otherwise have less mana to spend. A common chain of sequences can run something like this:
· Tap RR5 for Electrodominance . Player A takes 5 to face.
-> Guttersnipe: everyone takes 2 to face.
· Electrodominance eff., play something like Pyromancer's Goggles or Neheb from hand.
· Use part of what little mana I have left to play Bolt from the grave, Player A takes 3 to face. With Pyro Goggles this becomes 6.
-> Guttersnipe: everyone takes 2 to face.
· If I played Neheb instead, I gain RRR and play another Burn spell from hand, triggering another 2 damage to everyone.
In cases where I have some of these Burn enhancers out already, this is more of a typical turn with X-CMC spells that I know will want a lot of mana. In the above scenario, the reason for hitting hard on one player is for cards like Combustible Gearhulk and Risk Factor ; "Either you can give me CA so I can burn other people and improve your chances a little, or you can continue taking damage. Your pick."
Funnily enough, previous drafts ran all of those aside from Hostility . The draft right before this version ran Goggles, and tbh, I don't know how I spaced on that. Almost. I recall in the older versions that I had issues getting things like Thousand-Year Storm and Metallurgic Summonings on the field because of higher CMCs. I definitely want to try those again, but I don't know what all I'd remove and still keep my curve balanced. Heck, like your Boros deck, at some point I ran a lot of copy spells, but in the middle of revamping that version (only nine regular Burn spells, jfc why did I ever think that was good), I eventually wound up dropping most of those, too.
@Luther: That's pretty much what the other two were saying. And trust me, I've had more than enough chances to learn that 40 life is a lot to chunk down lol. Thanks, though.
2 weeks ago
You have at least chosen a commander that might be able to pull it off. So we have a solid starting point. I had thought about building a burn deck too but I had decided that since burn is nigh impossible in EDH that I would focus on it being more of an attrition deck. A lot of the effects I was considering hit every creature or every player. Something like Lava Spike just doesn't cut it IMO. Maybe with Kess I'm wrong?
Mine is The Fire Of Life. Different colors and a different payoff in the command zone but you should be able to get some ideas from this.
I think my best suggestion to you is remove all the tiny single target one off effects and replace them with copy effects or value effects. Get more stuff like Pyromancer's Goggles and Thousand-Year Storm . Also some more payoffs like Hostility or Metallurgic Summonings turn your burn spells from being ok/good to awesome.
2 weeks ago
The fetches are a must as they help with deck thinning and I want as many useless cards out of my deck as possible. A bit of self damage is worth that increase odds of something useful. I've thought about adding The Flame of Keld or Pyromancer's Goggles but they're pretty risky. Risky in regards to Keld making me potentially losing my hand for only a chance at x+2 damage. Goggles are a bit of a thicc drop that idk if I want to devote 5 mana to an artifact. All good considerations and i'll see how my current deck plays out at larger tournaments and make the decision. If the deck was more EDH then I'd probably go with them but it focuses on 1v1.
1 month ago
A great include would be Pyromancer's Gauntlet , Pyromancer's Goggles , and Embermaw Hellion . They would boost your damage and double some of the burn spells. If you want a bit more chaos, take a look at Lightning Storm or Pyromancer's Swath . The Flame of Keld could also be interesting if you can have a burn spell or two in the four cards you get from casting it.
1 month ago
My best suggestion is Sundial of the Infinite This turns anything temporary into something permanent. Exile at end of turn become "keep forever". Steal until end of turn becomes "Keep Forever". Anything that ruins your turn like cyclonic rift counter it with sundial.
- Draw: Mono red is difficult to come across draw you usually either have to wheel or rely on artifacts here are a few of my favorites.
- Endless Atlas
- Infiltration Lens
- Mask of Memory
- Culling Dais
Steal: Red does not have a lot of good removal but it's great at stealing stuff. My favorite strategy is steal and then kill whatever you stole by sacrificing it.
- Conquering Manticore
- Zealous Conscripts Goes infinite Kiki or Splinter twin also great with blade of selves removing the biggest threat.
- Mass Mutiny
- Captivating Crew
Insurrection end the game or steal it all then kill it all for an explosive second Main phase
Copy & Tokens: cards that can create copies of your stuff.
- Blade of Selves Create 3 tokens instead of just one and can repeat.
- Splinter Twin a second kiki
- Feldon of the Third Path
- Mirror March not yet released but keep your eyes on it.
- Mimic Vat
Life & Fight & Death: Great creatures for you to copy.
- Combat Celebrant Goes infinite with kiki and splinter twin
- Balefire Dragon
- Wurmcoil Engine
- Thermopod free sac outlet or mana
- Fellwar Stone Better then a few of the rocks you have.
- Caged Sun
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Ruby Medallion
- Rogue's Passage
- Maze of Ith Protect your key attacker or protect yourself
- Gratuitous Violence Only doubles your damage
- Disrupt Decorum
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
- Basalt Monolith Goes infinite with rings of brighthearth
- Breath of Fury Goes infinite with Raka
- Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit Goes infinite with thornbite staff
- Nim Deathmantle Goes infinite with ashnod's altar and raka
Have fun going through and choosing stuff from the list and worst part of all cuts in your own deck.
Pyromancer's Goggles occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
U/R (Izzet): 0.11%