|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Pull from the Deep
Return up to one instant card and up to one sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Pull from the Deep.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pull from the Deep Discussion
2 days ago
Hey The_Baneslayer and thanks for your input. I have to agree on the landbase, so far it's underwhelming, especially with BB costs so I'll atleast add the cheap duals providing black. I really like Second Sunrise too, (Faith's Reward is an option too). So far Recall, Call to Mind, Deja Vu, Relearn, Scribe of the Mindful, Archaeomancer and Pull from the Deep are something to consider, but not sure how many and which to implement ?
I've avoided combos in this to not have to have emphasis on the tutoring. But if I decide to go with the combo I understand I need to have a few to pull it off atleast once in a lifetime.. I dislike combos in EDH simply for the requirement of tutoring :(
2 weeks ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
2 months ago
A couple suggestions that I've found very good in Melek:
- Turnabout can generate absurd amounts of mana. If you sequence things correctly, you can frequently play it 5+ times in a storm turn.
- Some amount of additional graveyard recursion for spells might be useful. Some options there could be Mystic Retrieval, Pull from the Deep, Mizzix's Mastery or Snapcaster Mage. I wouldn't run all of them, but 1-2 might be useful.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is still pretty good in the 99. May or may not be as worth it when you're balancing between storm and value creatures, but it might be worth a shot at some point if you're looking to mix things up.
2 months ago
As for Mystic Retrieval/Pull from the Deep; by themselves I agree with you, they're better than Archaeomancer. However, combine him with Cloudstone Curio (or Erratic Portal), and you can have as many recursions of spells as you want.
2 months ago
I'm glad some of my suggestions helped! :)
I've got few more;
3 months ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
3 months ago
I forgot to mention, between low block potential and very high cmc, all 3 bolas cards are too slow and only really get one activation for soo much mana
But what ive noticed as i put money into the deck is it does best when played like storm, casting rocks and rituals and a pain spell and then chaining wheels for spike damage, the cumulative upkeep stuff is rather slow and really draws hate from opponents before you can kill them, and you are forcefeeding draw but you dont necessarily want them to use the cards you let them draw,
Price of Knowledge is ok, but in order to achieve the speed for storm, its really hard on the mama base, the only card above 6 cmc i run in mine is Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, and i never cast them they're only as a more useful Library of Leng
On top of being able to chain wheels after sticking a 1-4 cmc pain enchantment like Liliana's Caress Underworld Dreams or a discard/draw/combo engine 4-6 cmc like Dream Halls, Waste Not Rhystic Study, playing dimir colors means you have access to the best tutors for wheels and graveyard recursion, ive found that filling my graveyard by discarding wheels as a massive secondary hand and then either resetting the mill with the eldrazi titan while milling opponents out often removes the need for Library of Leng, but its a good card to learn the deck in the sense it teaches you what you want to keep or discard during wheels, plus if you have 50 cards in graveyard casting a Yawgmoth's Will or Mizzix's Mastery usually wins me the game with either 300-500 burst damage or decking opponents
Theres plenty of budget ways to recast wheels and other important spells from the graveyard you usually can fill up relatively fast
Non budget versions would be
Tutors really help you with getting the enchantments, protection or wheels you need to gain the lead, ill start with budget
Better but more expensive options
3 months ago
Thanks for taking a look!
I kinda like the Mystic Speculation, do you have any ideas for a cut?
I'm not sure what spell I'd be copying that'd be worth running Increasing Vengeance for. The double red might be hard some percent of the time as well. My deck is mostly mono-blue. It can be hard drawing cards with Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius sometimes.