|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Pull from the Deep
Return up to one instant card and up to one sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Pull from the Deep.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pull from the Deep Discussion
1 month ago
Does Panharmonicon work with Imprint artifacts? Let you fire off both Temporal Trespass and Pull from the Deep using a single Clutch of Currents and Spellweaver Helix for example? Would it create an infinite loop to get continually draw, cast and recast your instants and sorceries?
4 months ago
This deck looks like a wild ride! For the most part it looks like you just need to hit 6 mana and it will go off the chain.
Coat of Arms - You have more win conditions in this deck then I can count, this one is more dangerous than the others.
Forgotten Creation - This doesn't net you cards and is likely to die before it does any good. I would stick to out of hand wheels.
Jace's Archivist - Same as above but I think this one is worse since it has the potential to hook up other players.
Nin, the Pain Artist - You might have to explain this one to me? Are you drawing off your own creatures? Seems slow.
I think you want a fast land package here and very few to 0 come into play tapped lands. Once you start wheeling you will just be looking for a land that comes into play untapped and then wheel again...At least that's how I imagine this deck working.
Fateful Showdown - Doesn't net you cards, doesn't kill that many threats without a lot of cards and its 4 mana.
Blood Sun - The reason Blood Moon and Back to Basics are so good is because they stop people from playing cards. This just stops certain threats like Kor Haven and Maze. This deck seems to just want to win rather than police the board.
Firestorm - This card seems dangerous and the upside not that good. It needs enough legal targets so unless the board is full of targets and you have a ton of cards AND you are sure no one has a counter up...
I spent less time on looking at adds as I am sure you have some in mind already but here are a few that I would consider.
Mirage Mirror - Nuf said.
Knowledge Exploitation - Its whatever you need.
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth - Prevent yourself from milling yourself! I know you have the spiral and reversal but this is a good fail safe..also I wouldn't worry about not having targets for Pull from the Deep and others, it seems like that will never be a problem for this deck.
Neheb, the Eternal - Card is dumb.
Glen Elendra Archmage - I used to not play with this card cause I thought it was annoyingly good...I was right.
Omniscience - This deck is already broken.. might as well.
Propaganda - This one might need to be added to the deck later when our group starts killing you as soon as possible =).
Spell Swindle - My favorite counter spell.
6 months ago
Hey The_Baneslayer and thanks for your input. I have to agree on the landbase, so far it's underwhelming, especially with BB costs so I'll atleast add the cheap duals providing black. I really like Second Sunrise too, (Faith's Reward is an option too). So far Recall, Call to Mind, Deja Vu, Relearn, Scribe of the Mindful, Archaeomancer and Pull from the Deep are something to consider, but not sure how many and which to implement ?
I've avoided combos in this to not have to have emphasis on the tutoring. But if I decide to go with the combo I understand I need to have a few to pull it off atleast once in a lifetime.. I dislike combos in EDH simply for the requirement of tutoring :(
6 months ago
So this will be the same as my above comment. Anything I mention here does not mean that they are bad cards, rather I personally think they are less efficient for your deck's goals and strategies.
These are some cards I would look into cutting/replacing: Show
- Personally, I'm not huge on this card. Two 5/5 flyers is okay for blocking, but with all the control this deck puts out it doesn't really matter if you have chumps in the air. Plus, losing land drops/mana means casting less things, which is never good.
- All are good cards, but lose their strength when you don't have Mizzix out. Additionally, they aren't hard counters. Meaning that if your opponent does have the mana to sink into it, you're out of luck. Swan Song, Red Elemental Blast, and/or Pyroblast could be good replacements.
- I know this one seems crazy to take out, but really after you get so many XP counters, getting extra counters doesn't really matter. I see that Tezzeret's Gambit is in the side board, so I would say through that in here instead. That can be free card draw, while also providing Proliferate.
- Additionally, you get no discount on casting this 5 drop. Mystic Remora could also be considered as a replacement for this, because early game that card can essentially be Ancestral Recall in one turn rotation.
- I hate the bounce lands because they set you so far behind tempo. I honestly think running 36 lands will be fine for this deck, so I recommend cutting this in favor of one of the cheap draw cards (which help land drop consistency).
- This is alright, but without the Mizzix discount this is pretty pricy to draw a card and deal some amount of damage. It has a high ceiling of dealing a chunk of damage, but it can definitely be a dead card sometimes.
- Not a bad card, but Diminishing Returns is probably a better card overall, so I'd say just swap these out.
- You will most likely hit the Spell Mastery, but I hate how it is an X spell that has to be set up in order to not be solely creature removal. I'd say take this out for Pyroblast or Red Elemental Blast, in my opinion.
- This can be a huge whiff, and the lack of control you have over the kind of deck your opponent plays/what is in their graveyard makes this too unreliable. Your play group may make this card playable, so in that case keep it. If not, it might be too expensive CMC-wise to justify the variance this card has.
- I know that this is essentially Ancestral Recall, but I think that Dig Through Time is the better card between the two because of its instant speed. It gives you more cards insight for better selection as well.
- Similar to Pull from the Deep, just having Diminishing Returns in here replaced the need for both of these cards.
- I've never been to huge on this card, and really you only need so much, if any, redirection in your deck. You have cheaper (granted, less powerful) redirection in this deck, so I would recommend just swapping this specific one out for Fuel for the Cause. More Proliferate and more counter magic is always good.
I won't suggest any more until you see these and gauge whether or not these would be good cuts and replacements. I know there is more you could do if you wanted to, so let's just see what you think so far before we get too crazy here! Haha. Keep me updated on what you're thinking, man! Always enjoy helping other players.
8 months ago
A couple suggestions that I've found very good in Melek:
- Turnabout can generate absurd amounts of mana. If you sequence things correctly, you can frequently play it 5+ times in a storm turn.
- Some amount of additional graveyard recursion for spells might be useful. Some options there could be Mystic Retrieval, Pull from the Deep, Mizzix's Mastery or Snapcaster Mage. I wouldn't run all of them, but 1-2 might be useful.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is still pretty good in the 99. May or may not be as worth it when you're balancing between storm and value creatures, but it might be worth a shot at some point if you're looking to mix things up.
8 months ago
As for Mystic Retrieval/Pull from the Deep; by themselves I agree with you, they're better than Archaeomancer. However, combine him with Cloudstone Curio (or Erratic Portal), and you can have as many recursions of spells as you want.
8 months ago
I'm glad some of my suggestions helped! :)
I've got few more;
9 months ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.