|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Journey into Nyx (JOU)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Pull from the Deep
Return up to one instant card and up to one sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand. Exile Pull from the Deep.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Pull from the Deep Discussion
1 week ago
A couple suggestions that I've found very good in Melek:
- Turnabout can generate absurd amounts of mana. If you sequence things correctly, you can frequently play it 5+ times in a storm turn.
- Some amount of additional graveyard recursion for spells might be useful. Some options there could be Mystic Retrieval, Pull from the Deep, Mizzix's Mastery or Snapcaster Mage. I wouldn't run all of them, but 1-2 might be useful.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is still pretty good in the 99. May or may not be as worth it when you're balancing between storm and value creatures, but it might be worth a shot at some point if you're looking to mix things up.
2 weeks ago
As for Mystic Retrieval/Pull from the Deep; by themselves I agree with you, they're better than Archaeomancer. However, combine him with Cloudstone Curio (or Erratic Portal), and you can have as many recursions of spells as you want.
2 weeks ago
I'm glad some of my suggestions helped! :)
I've got few more;
1 month ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
1 month ago
I forgot to mention, between low block potential and very high cmc, all 3 bolas cards are too slow and only really get one activation for soo much mana
But what ive noticed as i put money into the deck is it does best when played like storm, casting rocks and rituals and a pain spell and then chaining wheels for spike damage, the cumulative upkeep stuff is rather slow and really draws hate from opponents before you can kill them, and you are forcefeeding draw but you dont necessarily want them to use the cards you let them draw,
Price of Knowledge is ok, but in order to achieve the speed for storm, its really hard on the mama base, the only card above 6 cmc i run in mine is Kozilek, Butcher of Truth or Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre, and i never cast them they're only as a more useful Library of Leng
On top of being able to chain wheels after sticking a 1-4 cmc pain enchantment like Liliana's Caress Underworld Dreams or a discard/draw/combo engine 4-6 cmc like Dream Halls, Waste Not Rhystic Study, playing dimir colors means you have access to the best tutors for wheels and graveyard recursion, ive found that filling my graveyard by discarding wheels as a massive secondary hand and then either resetting the mill with the eldrazi titan while milling opponents out often removes the need for Library of Leng, but its a good card to learn the deck in the sense it teaches you what you want to keep or discard during wheels, plus if you have 50 cards in graveyard casting a Yawgmoth's Will or Mizzix's Mastery usually wins me the game with either 300-500 burst damage or decking opponents
Theres plenty of budget ways to recast wheels and other important spells from the graveyard you usually can fill up relatively fast
Non budget versions would be
Tutors really help you with getting the enchantments, protection or wheels you need to gain the lead, ill start with budget
Better but more expensive options
2 months ago
Thanks for taking a look!
I kinda like the Mystic Speculation, do you have any ideas for a cut?
I'm not sure what spell I'd be copying that'd be worth running Increasing Vengeance for. The double red might be hard some percent of the time as well. My deck is mostly mono-blue. It can be hard drawing cards with Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius sometimes.
2 months ago
Thanks for the upvote/comment/suggestions seshiro_of_the_orochi! Totally on board with Sensei's Divining Top as a non-budget power up to this build very neat card. Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign at a glance seems tempting however for this particular build seems like a trap. if i had different sphinxes in here that less to cast would be too good to pass up... but the fact that it messes up the top 4 card of the library and puts two of them in the Graveyard doesnt seem good here... at least not without having recursion effects like Pull from the Deep/Snapcaster Mage and such. Neat card though... just dont think its good enough to replace Sphinx of Jwar Isle... i do think its worth play testing as a substitute for Djinn of Wishes at very least. Thanks again!
3 months ago
Scour from Existence is way too expensive imho. Better removal like Pongify, Rapid Hybridization, and Chaos Warp exists. I see no answers to jhoira hate; you probably need some sort of a counterspell package to protect Jhoira, because you are so dependent on your commander. Detainment and anything that shuts down activated abilities will freeze Jhoira out, so you probably need to pack in some anti-enchantment/artifact/creature hate as well to counter Arrest, Lavinia of the Tenth, Cursed Totem, etc. Note that UR are entirely devoid of things to deal with enchantments, so you are gonna wanna counter shit before it hits the table.