|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Uncommon|
|Fate Reforged (FRF)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Rogue
: Draw two cards. Target opponent gains control of Humble Defector. Activate this ability only during your turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (9)||thekingpinBR , ironax , Hootiequack , Famicomania , , Zhorus_The_Bauqret , damo_rox , Tmanator , Unlife|
|Want (20)||Draw_Wurm , kobyjoe , sleepy104 , Gryffix , Pulseman , Gypsyhatten , Minimatte , Natugi , owenk2 , Suns_Champion , Darklowi , king0fclubs , Loading_Error , snowmaster55555atgmaildotcom , Legendary_Shadow , JSLardizabal , BorderlineEvil , kovellen , Snarkatr0n , Entanglement|
Humble Defector Discussion
1 week ago
Thanks for the comments and upvotes!
Daedalus19876 hate it when that happens! I made a rookie mistake and made a deck right before school started, and promptly forgot all about it!
The land base was just an interim land base until I can find more time to optimize it. Thanks for the jump start!
I love the free pump spells and Mana Geyser and will find room for them if I ever have time for more than a quick comment lol!
Thanks again! Any more comments/suggestions appreciated!
4 weeks ago
I wrote you a huge, detailed comment... then my computer crashed and erased what I'd written >.< Given that, I'm going to write it out as essentially bullet points and if you have any questions or want clarification, I can give more detailed thoughts :)
Let's start with the landbase. I'd cut down until you mostly have Mountains, and rebuild from there. Lands you may have missed: City of Shadows, Safe Haven, Command Beacon, Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. Lands I'd definitely cut: Desert of the Fervent, Field of Ruin, Forbidden Orchard, Forgotten Cave, Homeward Path (your opponents will get the Survivors back...), Temple of the False God, and possibly Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle. I'd run as many basics as possible, then play Ruination, Extraplanar Lens, etc.
Beyond that, I still don't see Blades of Velis Vel! ;) I'd also run Mana Crypt, if you can fit it in the budget (T1 commander seems GOOD for this deck). I am a huge fan of Mana Geyser in mono-red, as well as some free pump spells for Varchild (such as Blazing Shoal and Downhill Charge). You could also devour all of your Survivors to Descent of the Dragons...heh. Perhaps Conjurer's Closet to steal Survivors every turn?
I hope this helps! :)
4 weeks ago
Hi! Sorry it took so long to get back to you!
I personally do not like Revitalize, Reviving Dose, Ritual of Rejuvenation, or Spiritualize. Just my opinion.
1 month ago
This is awesome. +1! Varchild's War-Riders is a great find! love Valduk in here too!
Some suggestions from another mono-red player:
Neheb, the Eternal. He should be self explanatory, but if not, he gives you so much mana in the 2nd main phase it's stupid. This will let you tap out, attack, then after that cast your entire hand, or equip whatever you want to whoever you want. Want to pay for Loreseeker's Stone? He's your Minotaur. Want to Skullclamp and entire army of 1/1s? Can do boss. Can't recommend him enough. He also combos with Aggravated Assault if you're into that.
Helm of the Host might be fun! Extra (non-legendary) commanders for extra tokens AND even better, you can sack one of them to get all the survivors and keep your original Varchild. Also combos with Godo, if you're into that.
Mimic Vat might be awesome here too... Exile Varchild with it, pay three mana every turn to attack, give tokens, sac at end of turn, get tokens. Something to consider.
Great deck! I might make one now haha!
1 month ago
Politics on Rakdos is usually more about threatening with The Sword than offering The Olive Branch.
3 months ago
spicy idea: could run Galvanoth.
Love the stuffy doll idea.
4 months ago
Nice! I play pretty casually and play almost exclusively Boros colors, so here's my take:
- 1) 3.5. Skullclamp is really good in just about any token, sac or equipment deck.
- 2) 4. The only thing holding this back is the price.
- 3) 3. Not bad. The fact that you have to pay every time is annoying. Not quite as good as number 1.
- 4) 2.5. Not a huge fan. This basically eats up half your mana base and makes you the target of Strip Mines.
- 5) 2.5. Mask of Memory is pretty decent. Middle of the road.
- 6) 3. Solid. I like it.
- 7) 3. Good plan, Lifegain to mitigate paying life. Best with Necropotence.
- 8) 2. Still helps opponents, and normally discard outlets are useless without the deck being built around them.
- 9) 2. Tower of Fortunes is not really good if you don't have insane ramp. Better options out there.
- 10) 3.5. Nice!
- 11) 1. Just play Phyrexian Arena. Use Strionic Resonator for bigger trigger effects.
- 12) 2. Well of Lost Dreams is actually pretty good, but there are better lifegain effects than Peace of Mind. I like Inventors' Fair.
- 13) 2.5. You have to be pretty desperate to use this but it seems like it'd be okay sometimes.
- 14) 3.5. Tribal is always powerful.
- 15) 2.5. It's okay, kinda easy to interupt.
- 16) 3.5. I love Infiltration Lens!
- 17) 1. Little too janky and helps opponents.
- 18) 4. Because Slate of Ancestry is so good.
- 19) 1. I feel like there are better ways to repeat wheels. This one costs too much.
- 20) 5. My all time personal favorite. Humble Defector is good alone and my top two-drop in all my Boros/red decks.
So again, from a strictly Boros perspective, those are my thoughts. I'm sure you can see the biases and the ones I've actually tested haha!
Others to consider:
- Prophetic Flamespeaker + Sword of Fire and Ice
- Knollspine Dragon + Damage
- Commune with Lava + Neheb, the Eternal//other ramp
- Loreseeker's Stone + lots of mana
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser + lots of tokens
- Book of Rass + Lifegain if you're not in black/no necropotence
- Commander's Sphere + Sun Titan
- The Immortal Sun... alone
- Azor's Gateway Flip + Untap effects//filter effects
Hope some of this helps. This will be a good resource!
4 months ago
A draw engine is a two card synergy that results in repeatable card draw. I run a Mardu deck so most of the cards will be in colors. I've numbered each engine so you just need to post the engine number followed by your personal score for each. (Feel free to skip any since the list is lengthy. No card is mentioned more than once however.)
A score means the draw engine is janky, unreliable, clunky, inefficient, etc. Basically an engine you'd never consider running under any circumstance. A score means the draw engine is consistent, reliable, fast, and effecient at drawing cards. This score signifies a considerable auto-include for any EDH deck.
Not all draw engines need to be rated. Rating the ones that are the most interesting will do. This feedback will be crucial for other people when considering what draw engine to use for their decks.