|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Mizzix of the Izmagnus
Legendary Creature — Goblin Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost greater than the number of experience counters you have, you get an experience counter.
Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost less to cast for each experience counter you have.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Mizzix of the Izmagnus Discussion
3 days ago
DrukenReaps covered the mana issue pretty well. The other suggestion that I'd make for a deck with this high of a CMC is that you probably want more ramp sources or mana rocks. Commander's Sphere and Dimir Signet are both great here. You might also consider replacing Temple of the False God with a basic. You're really color-intensive and don't have a lot of land ramp, so it's at high risk of not actually doing much good in this deck.
To expand a little on narrowing the tribes... I don't think you necessarily have to cut down what tribes are in your deck. However, if you aren't running at least 25 creatures of a tribe, tribal support cards like Crucible of Fire and Door of Destinies are simply bad. You frequently have to take a turn off to play them, so if they're not going to do some reasonable work right away, they're probably worse than a basic land. Kindred Dominance is going to hit so much of your own stuff that you're likely better off playing something like Languish, Crux of Fate or Blasphemous Act instead.
Along those lines, given your high average CMC, loading up on more reasonably-cheap board wipes is probably a good idea. If it's going to take you a while to get going, being able to control the board in the early game is really important. If your opponent has a field full of elves, slamming Butcher of Malakir or Stormsurge Kraken without clearing the board first isn't going to save you.
As for a few cards that you might consider cutting:
- You're really not running enough instants/sorceries to support Mizzix of the Izmagnus in the 99. Mizzix is great, but he really needs a dedicated spellslinger deck to shine. Talrand, Sky Summoner suffers from much the same problem.
- Mindscour Dragon, Vela the Night-Clad and Archetype of Imagination all seem marginal to bad here (with their effects either being redundant or not really big enough for their mana cost). You might consider just slotting some of the decent dragons like Hellkite Charger, Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury, Steel Hellkite, Shivan Dragon or Ryusei, the Falling Star.
- Vapor Snag and Dark Betrayal are both pretty bad in EDH. The former represents major card disadvantage in multiplayer. If you're looking for more bounce effects, you might consider Capsize (although I don't think this is really a Capsize deck). Ratchet Bomb is also a little iffy in a format with such a broad range of CMCs on the table. Unless there are a lot of tokens in your meta, it's probably not worth it.
- Cartouche of Knowledge is probably worse than just Ponder.
- Lord of Shatterskull Pass requires you to pump 16 mana in to it and survive to attack before it does anything, almost certainly not worth it.
- Black Market may end up being pretty good due to Marchesa, or not very good since you have a lot of big creatures. I don't think this is immediately a cut, but keep a close eye on how it performs.
- Torment of Hailfire and Torment of Scarabs are also worth keeping an eye on. I feel like you're probably not going to be producing enough mana for Hailfire to do enough work, and Scarabs is limited by only targeting one opponent. They seem like good options to consider cutting in favor of more land.
1 week ago
Thinking about adding:
Archetype of Imagination
Arjun, the Shifting Flame
Augur of Skulls
Beguiler of Wills
Prince of Thralls
Disciple of Bolas
Docent of Perfection Flip
Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder
Fiend of the Shadows
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Jalira, Master Polymorphist
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge
Jhoira of the Ghitu
Jori En, Ruin Diver
Kaho, Minamo Historian
Lim-Dul the Necromancer
Maga, Traitor to Mortals
Magus of the Abyss
Magus of the Coffers
Magus of the Future
Magus of the Mind
Magus of the Will
Melek, Izzet Paragon
Mizzix of the Izmagnus
Nekusar, the Mindrazer
Oona, Queen of the Fae
Profaner of the Dead
Sage of Fables
Sower of Temptation
Taigam, Sidisi's Hand
Talrand, Sky Summoner
Tibor and Lumia
Vela the Night-Clad
Need help on ideas for sorcery, instants , enchantments and artifacts to add to this deck!!
Also not sure what way to go with this deck
1 week ago
I wrote a bit comment and it got eaten by TappedOut. So, apologies for the brevity on this rewrite. These are a few suggestions based on a similar deck of mine.
- Mind's Desire and Temporal Fissure are both excellent storm payoffs. The former is one of the best hits from Epic Experiment and the latter can bounce every land as a pseudo Time Walk if you need to swing with tokens.
- Sphinx-Bone Wand and Docent of Perfection Flip are two additional options for win-cons if you so desire.
- Pull from the Deep and Mystic Retrieval are good options for re-casting your rituals/untap effects
- More free spells like Frantic Search or Rewind might be worth it. The latter can at worst counter your own spells with High Tide.
- I personally really like Eye of the Storm. It's expensive, it can backfire, but if you untap with it, it's almost impossible to lose. It goes effectively infinite with a lot of cards.
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus is almost definitely worth it.
- I think the 1-shot token producers are probably not that great. They're reasonably good with Purphoros, but I don't think that's worth 6 slots in the deck. Don't worry about creature count in Melek. A lot of Melek decks actually go creatureless for the Proteus Staff combo.
- Phyrexian Altar is probably really borderline unless you're running something like Fall of the Titans to just win without having to go an extra turn by saccing out all of your Empty the Warrens tokens.
- Strionic Resonator is at best a very situational fork in Melek. It's probably better to spend your mana on a cheap cantrip / draw spell like Gitaxian Probe or Treasure Cruise.
- Echo Mage is really expensive and vulnerable for its effect. You have to pump 7 mana and wait a turn to copy 1 spell. At that point, you're probably better off casting Eye of the Storm.
1 week ago
Oh yes I see the Curious Homunculus! So...
Artifacts: the Monument cycle from Amonkhet ( Bontu's Monument ecc.), Conduit of Ruin, Helm of Awakening, Foundry Inspector, Mana Matrix, Planar Gate, Seal of the Guildpact, Semblance Anvil, Stone Calendar, Inspiring Statuary, Heartstone
Azorius: Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Red: Hardened Berserker
White: Hero of Iroas
Selesnya: Oath of Ajani
Rakdos: Rakdos, Lord of Riots
The cycle of the Familiars ( Nightscape Familiar, ecc.)
2 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions, it'll probably be a bit before I add the fetches as I just made some significant upgrades. Lotus Petal and Sensei's Divining Top definitely seem like good includes. I'm not sure about adding more rituals as I really only need pyretic for the reiterate combo but I'll test and think about it. For paradox engine, I really like it because it means I'm not just dead in the water if I start fizzling off a Mind's Desire. It also allows for infinite storm with rocks and anything under Isochron Scepter. Worse case scenario, with a couple of rocks, it can function as a replacement of Mizzix of the Izmagnus with the addition of providing colored mana.
2 weeks ago
I'm running Mizzix of the Izmagnus in commander. If I get out Skyship Plunderer or any other proliferate type effects, can I add experience counters to myself if my experience is 0? I have a few proliferate spells in the deck that get Mizzix rolling early, but I have always waited until he was on the field before playing them. Can I play them sooner and benefit from them?
3 weeks ago
IF You really want to make Burn viable i9n EDH, there are two options.
First is going into Storm, but I don't really like it, and I won't really be able to help you here.
Other option is goin for big X spells. This is what I like and what I know well. Banefire, Devil's Play, Fault Line, Titan's Revenge, Rolling Earthquake. But hey, You need mana for that. You already have Mizzix of the Izmagnus that lower their costs. Another must have is Mana Geyser and Mana Seism imo. Both gives You so much quick mana in mid-late game that it lets you to burn everyone. Another cards are all kinds of copy spells like Fork, Reverberate and Reiterate. Double burn? Nice. Now damage doublers which are Fire Servant, Furnace of Rath and Dictate of the Twin Gods.
There are more viable cards to write down, it will be simpler for you to check my Ignite your Planeswalker spark.
3 weeks ago
I have a Jhoira of the Ghitu EDH deck and I recently put in a Mizzix of the Izmagnus. Someone told me that while mizzix is suspended I will still be getting experience counters every time I cast an instant or sorcery. Is this correct?