Choose one ---
Counter target spell.
You may choose new targets for target spell.
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (29)||DHermos , ZombieFood , Hootiequack , pskinn01 , maR2307 , unnaturalelementals , Lindough , ecurps , acbooster , xXThormentXx , voidruby , Dr_Jay , philktoken8998 , fireborne1986 , Swamy , Archegos , Spinalripper , , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , MattN7498 , jhTheMan99 , meowCat1234 , Va1mar , GoldGhost012 , Regulus1010 , firemind12 , golgarigirl , VGJustice , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (2)||mlouden03 , Myris|
Insidious Will Discussion
2 weeks ago
Ya Insidious Will same cost but more effects for the mana and ya Supreme Will is needed. I like Take Inventory but it is rotating and Censor draws for one. The bounce is good for stalls but can be good to Unsummon after blocking to get another blocker and another round to live in some cases.
2 weeks ago
I played a similar deck at FNM, with similar results, winning 9 out of 15 games in 5 rounds (all 2/1 for, or against me). I did, however, leave out Unsummon (which marginally slows down both you and your opponent) and Baral's Expertise and added a play-set of Take Inventory. I left out Censor and played 3 Turn Aside, 3 Supreme Will and Mirrorpool instead of Insidious Will. I think that I prefer Insidious Will.
2 weeks ago
Looks like a fun deck! Well done to stick with the budget.
There aren't any obvious omissions coming to mind as I browse the deck (and I'm not familiar with this kind of budget), but you could consider these cards: Muddle the Mixture, Insidious Will, Mizzix of the Izmagnus and Melek, Izzet Paragon.
Thanks again for looking at my list.
GL & HF!
2 weeks ago
TrentenEnder I used Fork-like spells in the past, but I finally removed those from my deck. The only spell I use to strengthen my combo is Insult, since it's basically game if I can combo from there. (If I can overcome my lazyness I'll someday upload my deck here, but it looks a lot like jwe94's). The problem I see with Fork-like spells is that they don't do anything for themselves, you need a setup and the meta with my friends doesn't let me go those extra manas, they are so aggressive.
Also, I don't own Force of Will right now, but I plan to get with one asap. Pact of Negation has made wonders protecting the combo as well as Dispel. If you don't own any, I'd try to get a copy of Pact of Negation at least. I also run Misdirection for the same reason, in my area, my Nekusar is well known and being able to redirect a Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile in response of my Wheel of Fortune-like effect is vital.
PD: I've tried Insidious Will for it's versatility and didn't work for me either, mana cost it's too high for any option.
PD2: I'll try to upload my decklist soon enough and compare it to jwe94's, there seem to be some things we don't agree and I'd like to see if I'm wrong and be able to improve my deck!
2 weeks ago
What's your gameplan / primary wincon? Baral is perfectly suited to play 'draw-go', even on a budget, but you need some way to close out the game. Either a combo or some kind of finisher (e.g. Jin-Gitaxias or Tidespout Tyrant come to mind).
Here is some cards I think are weak:
- Insidious Will (Flexibility is good, but this is overcosted)
- Tolaria West (You don't play moxen nor Pact of Negation, nor do you have especially useful utility lands)
- Guile (too expensive for a card that doesn't impact the board immediately. And you have no way to cheat it into play)
You're also running a lot of mass removal (AEtherize, AEtherspouts, Curse of the Swine, Devastation Tide, Coastal Breach, Cyclonic Rift, Evacuation). I would be more selective and choose only the best, depending on how 'permanent heavy' your meta is. Personally I would cut Coastal Breach (conditional, sorcery speed) and AEtherize or AEtherspouts.
Things I would add (I tried not to recommend high budget cards):
- Delay (especially useful against other counterspells, which will fizzle down the line)
- Frantic Search (saw this in your maybeboard, it's good, run it)
- Back to Basics (then cut all your own non-basics, none of them are particularly good)
- Muddle the Mixture
- Non-basics I think you should be running is Riptide Laboratory, since your commander is a wizard and you're running other relevant wizards and Strip Mine.
As for your idea on the 'wipe' package with Academy Ruins: I think it's too slow. You're sacrificing a draw and a significant amount of mana to stall. In the case of disk it will take another turn before you can wipe again. I would focus more on how you intend to win instead (see lack of clear win condition, above).
Hope this helps
3 weeks ago
Looks pretty good might need more control. Engulf the Shore is good board clearer. Idk if I would use Mirrorpool over Insidious Will same mana but more options. Check out my deck mono blue mill control
3 weeks ago
It would be helpful in evaluating the deck if your description actually went in to more detail about your intended game plan and the interactions that the deck is built around. Without that information, it's hard to evaluate some of your choices.
Also, there's a lot of card choices here that are not great EDH cards. In some ways, this list looks a lot like if what you'd get if you took a reasonable 60-card constructed Izzet spells deck and brought it up to 100 cards by adding similar versions of the stuff that was great in the 60 card deck. Things like Rift Bolt, Vapor Snag, Delver of Secrets Flip and Monastery Swiftspear tend to be much worse in EDH than in normal games for a couple reasons:
- As a 40-life format, they're almost trivial when pointed at face. Shock only does the work of Gut Shot.
- Since the format tends to be slower, mana pools are larger and cheap, efficent spells that are so good in 60-card are massively outclassed by more powerful, more flexible options at higher CMCs. That's not to say that running a handful of cheap removals or counters isn't good, but you run a few of them to deal with very specific must-answer threats. They're not your bread and butter.
I'd also recommend cutting Browbeat. In EDH, nobody is really too sad to take 5. If you want to draw 3 cards, Treasure Cruise is just going to be insanely better. Mana Leak and Censor are probably going to be dead a huge portion of the time as well. Slightly more expensive hard counters are generally going to be better (or something like Arcane Denial, which is really good in EDH.
In terms of mana base, you probably want more mana rocks, too. While your average CMC isn't very high, your payoff cards are all pretty expensive and in a lot of cases, you're going to need to be casting a bunch of spells in a turn to really get things done. At the very least, I'd recommend adding Sol Ring and Izzet Signet. You might also consider something like Mind Stone or maybe even Dreamstone Hedron.
All that out of the way, there's some cards you might consider adding:
- Aetherflux Reservoir is a really common EDH storm-style deck win con. You don't need to gain much life to kill a player with it.
- Blasphemous Act is one of the best red board wipes (not sure if it'd be in budget or not)
- Burnished Hart is an all-around great ramp card
- Charmbreaker Devils is a huge threat that also gives you more spells to cast
- Docent of Perfection Flip fills a similar role to Talrand, which is one of the best cards in the deck already
- Echo Mage is an option for spell copying if you want to go really deep (probably the worst copier of what I've listed here)
- Empty the Warrens can flood the board pretty efficiently at the end of a big turn
- Insidious Will is a great counterspell in EDH
- Mana Geyser is absurdly broken in multiplayer EDH. It's more broken online where people tap out to F8, but it's still pretty good and can lead to an absurd Comet Storm.
- Nivix Guildmage is another way to copy spells wherever you need a mana sink
- Red Sun's Zenith is a repeatable Fireball
- Reverberate is incredibly flexible and cheap enough to be able to hold up easily
- Rise from the Tides is frequently a "board wipe or bust" level card in these kinds of decks
- Rite of Replication may be out of budget, but can win games on its own
- Seething Song is basically a free spells for triggering any of your payoff cards and can ramp to bigger X spells
- Spelltwine gives you 3 spell casts on its own
- Sphinx-Bone Wand gives incidental damage as you cast spells. You can frequently kill an opponent in one big turn with it.
- Temporal Fissure can utterly blow people out at the end of a big turn
- Treasure Cruise is legal in EDH and still utterly busted
- Volcanic Vision can be a one-sided board wipe
- Wild Ricochet is a super fun card in this sort of deck
Good luck with the deck :)
3 weeks ago
Totally missing Insidious Will just dont counter if you dont want to.