|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Theros (THS)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Legendary Enchantment Creature — God
As long as your devotion to red is less than five, Purphoros isn't a creature.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, Purphoros deals 2 damage to each opponent.
2R: Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
Commander Recommendations Start Commander Deck
Latest as Commander
Purphoros, God of the Forge Discussion
20 hours ago
Creatures Craterhoof Behemoth , Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite , Aurelia, the Warleader , Samut, Voice of Dissent , Birds of Paradise , Bloom Tender , Derevi, Empyrial Tactician , Faeburrow Elder , Anafenza, the Foremost , Shalai, Voice of Plenty , Trostani Discordant
2 days ago
Try Reconnaissance .
Recon allows you to attack safely with every creature you have, deal combat damage in most situations, and have everyone untapped and ready to block to deter aggro. It untaps to avoid bad blockers (only situation you don't deal combat damage), it untaps after first strike but before normal combat damage is dealt (handy for getting counters from Drana to your whole team and busted with Stromkirk Captain/Stensia Masquerade), and it even untaps after normal combat damage is dealt due to the creature being an attacking creature until the end of combat step ends (untap in the middle of this step).
Another great card for low costed vamps is Scapegoat . It allows you to sac a token to dodge tuck, exile, -X-X, sacrifice, and other hard to dodge wraths. With Purphoros, God of the Forge it also allows you to just bounce your board to replay and murder everyone. Great secret tech people won't see coming... I'd rather eat a personal Evacuation than end up in topdeck mode.
A few of your current finishers I question. Dolmen Gate/Door of Destinies/Coat of Arms. Gate helps on only offense but does nothing to deter the inevitable revenge (Recon is a direct upgrade). Door does nothing for your current board, costs a lot of mana for aggro, and it requires gas after you play it to get it to do anything even then. Coat is ballsy and most token decks (and some tribal like elves) will destroy you with your own card (the ultimate feel-bad moment).
Feel free to check out my list for inspiration. It's one of the top rated Edgar lists on this site and there's also over 140 comments to sift through for more ideas. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated. Edgar's Dega Vampires
2 days ago
A little update
Who needs board wipe when you can player wipe :)
In all seriousness, I realize there plenty of ways to end that, but if/when it goes off it should be fun!
1 week ago
Gleeock, I've been looking into that, actually. I have identified 10 cards I can slip in.
I am considering removing the following, for their respective reasons:
- Gauntlet of Power : It costs to much mana and assists my opponents in ramp. I am not looking to build a group hug deck.
- Extraplanar Lens : While there is strong power here, I also feel I have enough solid ramp and cost reduction that I do not need it. I play games and win just fine in tests without having it on the field. There are even times where I find it slows me down because I get greedy and play it too early, removing lands from play. For example, if I have three lands out but exile my only red source, I kind of screw myself over.
- Rimescale Dragon : With Lens out of the deck, I have reason to run Snow-Covered Mountain s. That is to say, I was running SCMs because it puts a soft-lock on my opponent's ability to ramp off my card. If they have normal Mountains, they gain no benefit. They would need specifically a Snow-Covered Mountain. Well, if I am not using snow lands, I don't benefit from Rimescale.
- Glacial Crevasses : Again, no snow lands = no need to run this.
Now only two of these are actually mainboarded; Gauntlet and Lens. I play many games without using these and things work out just fine. So it becomes a matter of what to replace them with.
I'd like to stick to the Dragons if able, only because I'd get the most value out of Lathliss. However, other control-like Enchantments work as well.
The list of Dragons I am looking at currently are the following:
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon : Gives me another control outlet on a Dragon. Similar to Steel Hellkite in that I can remove threats or problematic cards. I can break combo pieces apart or destroy stones to slow opponents down. It also works great to remove Voltron equipment. Without being a tap ability, I can sink an entire turn's worth of mana into it and blow up 2 or 3 artifacts late game.
- Knollspine Dragon : Giant hand replenishment card. There are plenty of times where I swing for 14+ damage. That's 14 cards. The value there is just immense. Possibly even better than Dragon Mage because I don't give my opponent's new cards, too.
- Moonveil Dragon : Functions as another anthem. Lathliss, Dragon Queen and Purphoros, God of the Forge both serve in this capacity. Having a 3rd Dragon might be useful, too.
- Mordant Dragon : A weaker version of Balefire Dragon . I may honestly replace Demanding Dragon . I don't want to give my opponent a choice in the matter. That's what makes Glorybringer and Flameblast Dragon so good - I choose where I want the damage to go.
- Thunder Dragon : Seems like a decent sweeper, but only if the boardstate is light enough. I'm not sure how this would fare in the changing meta. 3 damage probably isn't worth it late game, and early game it'd be too hard to reliably get out. Just posting it here so you know I thought of it.
- Zodiac Dragon : I was considering this only because I find it interesting that it gives me essentially an unkillable Dragon. No matter what the boardstate becomes, I would always have Zodiac and Lathliss I can fall back on. I just find that a bit interesting, but I don't think I should try and force Golgari into mono-red. Though, to be fair, I also have Haven of the Spirit Dragon which returns a Dragon as well as Daretti, Scrap Savant who can return Steel Hellkite and Moltensteel Dragon . So there is precedent for it in this deck.
Additionally, I have identified:
- Price of Glory : Completely shuts down reaction-based decks.
- Citadel of Pain : Forces mana-drain.
- Ashling's Prerogative : Another source of haste. If I choose even, all of my 6-cmc Dragons (Which are most of them) gain haste. Likewise, my tokens (0 cmc) also gain haste. It also gives my Commander haste.
I think I'd rather go with the enchantments I feel that slowing opponents down while I burn them out with passive triggers is a great foundation to rely on as I churn out an army of Dragons. Sort of keeps the pressure off of me to keep going as fast as possible. This way, if I get a hand with 2 or 3 6-cmc Dragons but also a 3-cmc control enchantment, I can keep it knowing I have a soft lock on the game for a few turns.
After I finalize this deck, I plan on building a Prossh, Skyraider of Kher deck, running Korvold, Fae-Cursed King as a "secret Commander". That will be far more of a "regular" EDH deck with interactions, wraths, tutors, land spell cards, etc. :)
2 weeks ago
So I watched the command zone episode about a week ago, where they talk about aggro and put the scary infect stragity to shame. But they may have forgot how good the color black is and how good Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon is.
Ok I know there's other good ones like Purphoros, God of the Forge and Xenagos, God of Revels you name it whatever. But black has tutors and black has card draw and black has ramp and black has Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon as a legend.
Ok so what would be some cards a mono black aggro deck would have with Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon as the Cmdr. If you rather not say what cards would be good in that deck, you could tell me why he would be a bad aggro deck, and why other ones are better.
Aggre or disagree, I want to know what you think. I need ideas and info, so please reference cards here (with brackets) alot.
2 weeks ago
@kamelyan thanks for the upvote and comment! I returned the favor by upvoting more of your decks!
The Locust God is one that was suggested to me by a friend as well. Are you thinking that because of the flying theme or because of the wheels or ? Just curious on people's thought process. I'm running it in my Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain deck and it's great there
Bag of Holding looks like it could go really well, or really bad if someone destroys it before you can get your cards back haha but I like where your head is at!
2 weeks ago
Here are some creature cards I'd like to add soon:
Dusk Legion Zealot , Cordial Vampire , Cruel Celebrant Knight of the Ebon Legion , Vampire of the Dire Moon , Changeling Outcast , Vampire Cutthroat , Duskborne Skymarcher . Lastly Purphoros, God of the Forge for amazing damage potential when i get the spare cash.
Some other cards I would like to get are the following:
Some Cards I'm considering:
Finally some Wishlist cards I hope to get sooner or later, but are more pricey:
2 weeks ago
Nice list! You might like these: Spark Double , Murmuring Mystic , Shared Animosity , Coat of Arms , Mana Echoes , Flickering Ward , Impact Tremors , Purphoros, God of the Forge , Aetherworks Marvel , Coastal Piracy , Bident of Thassa , Distant Melody , Mantle of Leadership , Cathars' Crusade , Valor in Akros
Purphoros, God of the Forge occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.06%