Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Clifftop Retreat enters the battlefield tapped unless you control a Mountain or a Plains.
: Add or .
3 weeks ago
This deck looks really cool! I really love how incredibly affordable your deck is. For a few more dollars you can add amazing improvements that will significantly improve your deck's power. There's two cards, however, that are a must:
First, Sunforger will cast ANY instant you run, allowing answers straight from your deck AND enables Vial Smasher the Fierce if used outside your turn. Path of Mettle Flip is a decent repellant, but only if you flip it. More likely it will be an inconsistent killer or chip damage, which will only antagonize your foes, and worse it doesn't synergize with either Partner. Sunforger also makes Akiri and Jor kadeen happy, and its versatility will serve you more accurately.
I recommend these replacements, which give big improvements:
- Mercadian Bazaar and Subterranean Hangar perform better than Dwarven Hold and Bottomless Vault, and are cheaper to boot!
- Terramorphic Expanse for 1 plains: better mana fixing means less mulligans. You only have 1 card that casts for W (Skullclamp), which makes Terra Expanse's versatility a superior pick.
- Clifftop Retreat for Battlefield Forge: you have nothing that requires glass.
- Isolated Chapel instead of Caves of Koilos: same as above.
- Molten Slagheap instead of Icatian Store: you still have enough plains.
- Conspiracy Theorist repaces Underworld Rage-Hound: Theorist give its 2nd option to most discard you make, can be buffed by Olivia, is cheaper to enable & is more durable than the Hound.
- Demonic Collusion or Increasing Ambition instead of Diabolic Tutor: the first synergizes with your discard theme & the second one gives more searches in a more flexible mana cost.
- Phyrexian Arena instead of Dark Tutelage. Unless your pod runs only wheel decks, Arena is far superior.
- Greasefang, Okiba Boss replaces Pyre Zombie (not enough synergy, too expensive*).
*First of all, Sun Titan and Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle will almost always better targets to reanimate. Second, compare Pyre Zombie to Torment of Hailfire: For 7BB (the cost of return/cast/sac), you'd get 7 instances of "Each opponent loses 3 life unless that player sacrifices a nonland permanent or discards a card". While Hailfire is a prohibitively expensive card, it still highlights how inefficient Pyre Zombie is without your reanimators. Considering the # of vehicles you run, Greasefang is much better.
2 months ago
Since your deck is a fast one, consider running lands that don't enter the battlefield tapped:
- Bloodfell Caves -> Sulfurous Springs
- Wind-Scarred Crag -> Battlefield Forge
- Scoured Barrens -> Caves of Koilos
- Evolving Wilds -> Smoldering Marsh
- Thriving Bluff -> Foreboding Ruins
- Thriving Heath -> Furycalm Snarl
- Thriving Moor -> Shineshadow Snarl
- Black Dragon Gate -> Dragonskull Summit
- Citadel Gate -> Clifftop Retreat
- Cliffgate -> Ash Barrens
You might also want to run some utility lands:
- Temple of Malice -> Bojuka Bog (good against graveyard decks)
- Temple of Triumph -> Axgard Armory (tutor on a land)
- Temple of Silence -> Sejiri Shelter Flip (protection spell that can be played as a land)
- Temple of the False God -> Rogue's Passage (free evasion)
- Mountain -> Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion (double strike on demand)
- Swamp -> Buried Ruin (recursion)
Also, since speed is the name of the game for Voltron decks, consider those swaps in your ramp package:
3 months ago
Are the lands accurate? 24 basics in 4 colors is gonna be clunky and make it hard to reliably hit all 4 colors. I don't recommend multiple triomes due to etb tapped. There's a LOT of 2 color cycles that don't enter tapped (you can run 6 of any cycle in 4 colors) and any color lands. Checklands like Clifftop Retreat, Filterlands like Twilight Mire, Painlands like Caves of Koilos, Exotic Orchard, Forbidden Orchard, Reflecting Pool, and City of Brass are all budget(ish) friendly options. Obviously fetchlands and shockslands are ideal but cost a lot more.
3 months ago
I love Feather! Let me help you with that win rate, yeah?
Firstly, lands. You have too many. Take out the Boros Garrisons. All your cards are a low CMC and you don't really need that many. Other than that, I'd swap out either some copies of Temple of Triumph or Clifftop Retreat, but probably the temple for Sejiri Shelter Flip.
Secondly, you gotta keep your creatures safe. 4x Loran's Escape, 4x Gods Willing, and with the four Shelters, you should be just fine. Angelic Intervention is also a good choice, if you'd prefer something else.
Third, what are you targeting? For some suggestions, I like Dreadhorde Arcanist and Illuminator Virtuoso a lot. Tenth District Legionnaire is also very, very good here. Leonin Lightscribe and Clever Lumimancer are good, too. Harmonic Prodigy is really strong, depending on the other creatures you add, too. Of course adding Feather is a musy, too. If I were you, I'd probably pick like 12 non-Feather creatures to add in here.
Fourth, Removal. Mishra's Command is great here, otherwise I'd bump Boros Charm to 3 copies. Maybe throw 3x Wear / Tear in your sideboard or something. Options are great and all of these give options.
Fifth, buffs!! There's a whole lot of ways to buff your creatures, but here's what you want to do. Make about half of them cards like Coming In Hot, giving a buff + some sort of card advantage. Then, make half of them Brute Strength to make sure your creature has trample, or some other sort of evasion.
Sixth and finally, card advantage. White is bad with that. Red is bad with that. That's why your buffs really oughtta have card advantage with them. Ancestral Anger is a good one, for the record.
Okay, good luck and have fun!
7 months ago
Might be nothing, but Urabrask's art has him facing the same direction as Jin-Gitaxias Flip. Does this mean that he sides with Phyrexia after all? My thought process is that all of the Phyrexian legends would be facing one way and the Gatewatch/multiverse legends would be facing against them, art wise.
7 months ago
I have replaced the three checklands in this deck (Hinterland Harbor, Clifftop Retreat, and Sulfur Falls) with the shocklands of the same colors (Breeding Pool, Sacred Foundry, and Steam Vents), because, with this being a four-colored deck, I cannot take the chance of the checklands entering the battlefield tapped.
11 months ago
There's a good article on running burn at various budgetary levels here. If you do end up running stuff like Shock, Monastery Mentor, Vexing Devil, Lightning Strike, Deflecting Palm, Risk Factor, Rip Apart etc, then by all means live your dreams, but do be aware you'll be running a brew that is strictly worse than what you could be for that same budget. Rip Apart, Monastery Mentor, and Shock in particular are all terrible cards for burn and will make it a LOT harder for you to reliably win games (Rip Apart is at least playable in the sideboard).
In any case, you should definitely take on the advise of jethstriker and fix up the manabase. Burn generally needs 20 lands to begin with (so your land count is too low at the moment), but then you should always be aiming towards lands that don't enter tapped. Even Clifftop Retreat is too risky to be useful, and you'd be better off just playing all-basics than either that or Evolving Wilds. Battlefield Forge is a really good budget option for providing two colours.
1 year ago
beseides fetch lands the other check lands would go nicely with that full playset of Raugrin Triome.... 2x Glacial Fortress and 2x Clifftop Retreat...maybe even the snarl cycle Furycalm Snarl and Frostboil Snarl?