|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2017 (C17)||Rare|
|Commander 2015 (C15)||Rare|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|2011 Core Set (M11)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Sword of Vengeance
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has first strike, vigilance, trample, and haste.
Equip (: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (22)||Ashy , failurechild88 , switchkill65 , LoneCrusader399 , geazykagar , , mziter501 , Tiddilywinkus , ironax , GoldGhost012 , Psycheretic , Doom_of_Valyria , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , the.beanpole , pskinn01 , HR19 , TheAlmostHero , shinobigarth , mazrimtaim , rockleemyhero , rakdos24 , SketchyScribbler|
Sword of Vengeance Discussion
1 week ago
- Krosan Grip Replaces Devouring Light
- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice Replaces Paragon of Eternal Wilds
- Darien, King of Kjeldor Replaces Tree of Redemption
- Sylvan Scrying Replaces Voyaging Satyr
- Austere Command Replaces Primal Command
- Seasons Past Replaces Slime Molding
- Sylvan Library Replaces Rancor
- Mirari's Wake Replaces Sword of Vengeance
- Throne of the God-Pharaoh Replaces Chalice of Life Flip
- Teferi's Protection Repalces Elvish Mystic
1 week ago
Hey, no Swords with voltron strategy? I wouldn't suggest them if this deck was budget, but it doesn't look like it is.
Other equipment that's good are the Rings. They can continuously put counters on Skullbriar. Kalonia is best because of trample:
Green Commander staples that are great in any deck playing green:
Golgari Commander staples:
You can take more advantage of Skullbriar to sac with cards that make all players sac a creature:
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Thanks for the input Ocelot44! I'm salty about Elbrus but thanks for pointing that out.
I have added Swiftfoot Boots and Champion's Helm replacing Sword of Vengeance and Elbrus, the Binding Blade Flip. I might tweak the equipment a little more as the deck is currently lacking the trample mechanic that would allow worldslayer to proc more consistently.
Lightning Greaves is highly regarded by a lot of players as a very strong card however, in this deck with the equipment theme and lower creature count I find it awkward. The shroud effect also prevents me from targeting my creatures to attach further equipment to. Unless I have a second creature on the board to bounce the boots to, I can't equip Avacyn with Worldslayer.
4 weeks ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
1 month ago
1 month ago
- Ojutai's Command
- Arcane Denial
- Merchant Scroll
- Isperia, Supreme Judge
- Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
- Ghostly Prison
- Wing Shards
- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Ajani Goldmane (Worse than Ajani Steadfast as it's on a -1 rather than a +1 and the +1 is terrible, but I have two Goldmanes and no Steadfast)
- Haunted Cloak
- Sword of Vengeance
- Ring of Thune
- Brave the Sands
Down to 107. Maybeboard updated.
1 month ago
Hello! Awesome deck!
What I like:
Love the color, theme, and commander choice! Seem really fun!
Love the inclusion of Elspeth, Sun's Champion, obviously!
I like all the lands that ping you for mana! Very clever!
Some suggestions to put in:
The first thing I thought of was Cathars' Crusade and am shocked you don't have it already!
Dusk / Dawn for a one sided boardwipe.
Some to take out:
Angelic Chorus seems kinda expensive for what it does.
Spectral Searchlight can be replaced with better mana rocks. Unless there's some group-hug reason for it being here.
Sword of Vengeance kinda seems kinda random here.
Profound Journey is wayyy over costed, even with the rebound. White has better recursion options.
Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
1 month ago
redace10 Unfortunately a lot of my more powerful equipment (stuff like Darksteel Plate and the Kaldra set) is currently taken up by a Nazahn, Revered Bladesmith deck. The main sources of vigilance and untap that I have available would be cheaper equipment - things like Ring of Thune, Haunted Cloak, Sword of Vengeance and Sword of the Paruns.
In its current state this is built a LOT closer to your Taigam deck - much more spellsling than voltron.