|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Hour of Devastation||Mythic Rare|
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations||Common|
Combos Browse all
Rhonas the Indomitable
Legendary Creature — God
Rhonas the Indomitable can't attack or block unless you control another creature with power 4 or greater.
: Another target creature gets +2/+0 and gains trample until end of turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||Captain_Ducky , dexxter7 , meowCat1234 , Poptartz95 , Wolfninja , ShishkyBob , MouseyWolf , philktoken8998 , golgarigirl , thetechzombie , gildan_bladeborn , DrPopular|
Rhonas the Indomitable Discussion
7 hours ago
Hey friend. The deck looks good to me -- you obviously know how to build. First thing I'd suggest is trimming out your extra enchantments/artifacts/etc. If your primary goal is beating down with Odric, then take out everything that doesn't help you do that. Campaign of Vengeance, for example, and any small creatures that won't help you even if they have every keyword imaginable -- a 1/1 is still just a tiny creature. Also cut all those "extra" keywords. I'd say the crucial ones are lifelink, deathtouch, first strike, and maybe vigilance. Indestructible, too, but I'll get to that.
Now, strategically add cards that will benefit from Odric. I might suggest splashing G for stuff like Oketra the True and Rhonas the Indomitable and under-costed creatures, because it'd be nice to swing in with big indestructible creatures PLUS keywords. What do you think of that? If that sounds like a plan, we can refine further from there.
Hope that helps! Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Also, just FYI, looks like you might need to clean up your deck description?
21 hours ago
Hello again, Looks like game day was ok for ya. I like the changes to the mana base, it does run a lot smoother then before, that said 27 feels like a lot and 3 Needle Spires feels like too many. I get you need to make your sure you hit your land drops that why I like the ideal of Traverse the Ulvenwald to make sure you hit your land early game and in late game it's a tutor late game, yes delirium may seem slow, it turns on quicker then you may think.(I would remove 3 non-basic land for 3 Traverse)
I think you would have more luck droping your Glorybringer turn 4 vs 5. Mana dorks for the win, sticking to human's we have Channeler Initiate and/or something like Swell of Growth. I would change out Thalia's Lieutenant for the mana dork. The lieutenant is a good solid card but, not here. It's better in a deck casting a fist full of 1cmc cards not 5cmc. swell of growth would take testing.
On the Creature side of things have you tried Rhonas the Indomitable? It plays very nice with Odric, Lunarch Marshal, yes Rhonas is not a human but, making your team death touch, indestructible and (using the pump precombat) trample is price less. I'd take out 1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal and 1 Tireless Tracker for 2 Rhonas. Also, Glory-Bound Initiate would have a nice home here.
GL Hope i was of some help.
3 days ago
If you've got the budget, Grim Flayer and Rhonas the Indomitable are perfect for this deck. I might also consider a go-wide finisher like Overrun, but you'd have to conduct a Gatherer search to find a standard legal one. At any rate, I think you should cut Scaled Behemoth for lower CMC stuff, and you'll need discard enablers if you're wanting to cast Honored Hydra for four. Luckily, B from SOI has a lot of that.
Hope this helps! Love the fresh deck concept!
3 days ago
I'm having trouble playing this against a Gruul value deck. Creatures like Lathnu Hellion, Rhonas the Indomitable, and Bristling Hydra are constantly hitting me in the face for 4-9 damage per turn. If they have any removal for Thing in the Ice Flip, I'm stuck either dedicating mana to protecting it, or if it gets removed, hoping my opponent's deck will run out of steam and allow me to stabilize (which doesn't seem to ever happen). Any suggestions for what to sideboard against this matchup?
4 days ago
I've done a swap of the number of Glorybringer and Verdurous Gearhulk. 4x Glorybringer gives me better odds to draw it and get it into play turn four or five. I've also increased the number of Mountain to 3x cutting 1x Forest to make room. Glorybringer is double red so having another red source that doesn't come into play tapped really helps.
The difference between the Dragon and Gearhulk is the Dragon's haste. Creature removal is good right now and I get more value faster out of the Dragon than Gearhulk. I've also found the Dragon to be much better than Gearhulk in both Mardu Vehicles and Zombie matchups, especially Mardu as a great way to deal with Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. Gearhulk is also an artifact, the Dragon isn't, which is relevant.
I was sideboarding a third Glorybringer, but I don't need to do that anymore, I cut it for a third Manglehorn. I like Manglehorn in both Marvel and Mardu Vehicles matchups, especially Mardu because it can kill Heart of Kiran and slow down Scrapheap Scrounger.
Small Summary, Sideboard Cards for Matchups (Look for a more in depth guide in the Sideboard Card Choices section soon):
- Marvel: 4x Negate, 2x Manglehorn and 2x Tireless Tracker. Negate is the best card in the matchup because it can counter Marvel as well as both Chandras. I need all four Negates because I want to at least have one turn four. Tracker comes in as a way to get some card advantage if I can disrupt Marvel. This deck has no way to stop Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger.
- Zombies: 3x Radiant Flames, 1x Magma Spray. Flames and Spray are the best cards in the matchup. Spray because it can exile either Dread Wanderer, Relentless Dead or Scrapheap Scrounger. A heavy removal suite of 4x Spray, 4x Harnessed Lightning and 3x Flames is very potent and needed. Harnessed is important because it can kill Lord of the Accursed and/or large Diregraf Colossus, double Lord can make Zombies more than 3 power which gets around Flames. Sometimes I need to kill a Lord before I can sweep the board. Metallic Mimic is also a problem in this matchup it's best to kill it because it can make Zombies more than 3 power.
- Mardu Vehicles: 3x Manglehorn and 1x Magma Spray. This matchup is all about killing or delaying Heart of Kiran. Spray can exile Scrapheap Scrounger as well as kill a turn one Toolcraft Exemplar. Glorybringer although not a sideboard card is one of the best cards for the matchup because it can help me to stabilize being a terrific counter play to Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
- Izzet Control: 4x Negate, 3x Tireless Tracker and 1x Manglehorn. Negate is to stop Glimmer of Genius, Sweltering Suns and protect Tracker. Glimmer is the card that puts Control very far ahead. Suns is the Control players sweeper of choice and it can wreck me if it resolves. Tracker is the card I want to see in this matchup because if I can protect it, it can out card advantage Control. Censor is something I have to look out for always be aware of needing an extra mana for my spells.
- Golgari Energy: 3x Tireless Tracker and 1x Rhonas the Indomitable some versions are playing Heart of Kiran if so 3x Manglehorn also. Fatal Push is the removal spell of choice from my opponent making 3 drops much better than 2 drops in this matchup. Tracker comes in as a way to gain card advantage and Rhonas can be a both an attacker and blocker, mostly a great blocker. Storing energy for Harnessed Lightning is very important because my opponent's creatures can get big.
5 days ago
Ok so after game day I found the weaknesses and strengths of the deck as far as play testing against my local meta.
Round 1 Vs R/G Energy won 2-1
Round 2 vs W/B Zombies 0-2
This was just awful draws and stuck on 2 lands by myself with the opponent curving out each time so it was just brutally quick. I did not trust in the heart of the cards.
Round 3 W/B Zombies 2-0
Round 4 U/G Rashmi/Eldrazi 1-2
Game 3 was close but came down to missing a crucial land drop turn 3. Getting down Thalia, Heretic Cathar a turn early would have made the difference.
1 week ago
Randsome, Walking Ballista is very good with Winding Constrictor and seems like an auto include in a deck using the snake, but if you don't want to get Ballista's then you could use it's slots for anything really, Negate is even an option. Never / Return or Ruinous Path are fine in it's place, but I don't think you really need any more removal main deck, 4x Fatal Push and 3x Grasp of Darkness is enough. Aethersphere Harvester is good at pressuring Planeswalkers. Saying this I would definitely sideboard 1-2x Never or Path as some Planeswalker removal. I would also sideboard 4x Transgress the Mind which can hit any Planeswalker.
Some possible cards you could use in Ballista's place who go with the theme and with the snake are:
- Longtusk Cub
- Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
- Rogue Refiner
- Bristling Hydra
- Tireless Tracker
- Rhonas the Indomitable
As far as strengths and weaknesses of Sultai and Temur I think it really comes down to which kind of deck you want to play. Even though Sutali has energy I consider it more of a counters deck because the power of Winding Constrictor is in counters not energy. Temur is more of an energy deck that's also using counters, but energy is the main theme. If you like energy play Temur and if you like counters than play Sultai.
Sultai Strengths and Weaknesses:
- Better manabase having access to 7-8x fast lands that can make green mana.
- More powerful curve of Winding Constrictor, Rishkar, Peema Renegade and Verdurous Gearhulk. By itself a curve of Constrictor into Rishkar can be game winning.
- Better sideboard options for Marvel matchups and control matchups. Transgress the Mind and Negate can both stop Marvel. Transgress can hit Torrential Gearhulk.
- Less reliant on energy if keeping Elves.
- Constrictor is a huge target for removal and unfortunately the deck very much relies on him to be alive without him the power level drops a lot.
- Problematic removal options, other than Fatal Push all other removal has double black casting cost. Push is ok, but not great right now in Standard.
- No cheap removal that exiles the creature it kills.
- Not as versatile or as many creature options in black.
- Access to no three mana sweeper that does 3 damage to all creatures. Yahenni's Expertise is as close as it gets.
Temur Strengths and Weaknesses:
- Can still function without losing a key card in other words there's no Constrictor. Less reliant on a nice curve.
- More cards make and use energy. The energy theme is front and center.
- Magma Spray is a very good removal spell right now in Standard.
- Harnessed Lightning is unconditional creature removal that with energy can kill easier than Fatal Push.
- Access to three mana 3 damage to all creatures sweepers.
- Glorybringer adds an additional power level to the top end.
- Worst manabase having to use reveal lands from Shadows Over Innistrad which can be problematic at times.
- Worst sideboard options for Marvel and control matchups. Other than Negate and other counterspells.
- Relies much more on energy to overall function.
In my opinion red is better as the third color for this deck than black right now because of Magma Spray, Harnessed Lightning, Glorybringer and Radiant Flames. These cards do more for the deck than Winding Constrictor, Fatal Push, Grasp of Darkness and Transgress the Mind can. I like the combination of Spray and Harnessed over Push and Grasp because Spray can exile Scrapheap Scrounger and/or Dread Wanderer, especially Scrapheap because he's such a menace in Mardu. Spray also hits a ton of creatures in both Zombies and Mardu making it not just for the recursive creatures.
Creatures that Spray can't kill Harnessed can due to the amount of energy the deck can make. Glorybringer is great at pressuring or killing Planewalkers and gives me another flying threat. Putting counters on Glorybringer is also nasty fun. Flames in combination with Spray is very potent vs Zombies. I've found that I really need a sweeper to consistently beat Zombies because the battlefield can be flooded with them very fast. Red has access to two three mana sweepers that can deal 3 damage to all creatures, Flames and Sweltering Suns. Doing 3 damage is important because of Lord of the Accursed. Black has Yahenni's Expertise which can kill 3 power creatures, but it costs four mana instead of three. Flames can also only do 2 damage to each creature if I only use two different colors of mana to cast it. It's flexible this can be relevant as a one sided board wipe.
Push is a great removal spell, but the strong presence in Standard of both Aetherworks Marvel and Zombies takes it down a notch. Zombies wants you to spend a card to kill a single Zombie this is giving them an advantage. Spray is some what taking away this advantage even though I'm still spending a card to kill a single creature the creature is exiled which is relevant. Marvel plays all three drops except Servant of the Conduit and higher and very few creatures. Push is still excellent in the Mardu Vehicles matchup because it can kill Heart of Kiran, but so can Harnessed.
Thanks for the tips on using the stack. You're right I can't tap Rishkar, Peema Renegade the turn it's played to crew Aethersphere Harvester and then put a counter on Harvester with Rishkar's trigger. I would have to use another creature to first crew Harvester and then play Rishkar. I've been doing this Rishkar and Havester play for a while now and no one has said it's wrong, haha... My mistake is I didn't know that if an ETB trigger has to have a target(s) the target(s) must be declared the moment the trigger goes on the stack. I was declaring targets when the trigger resolved from the stack which is wrong.
1 week ago
I love this deck!Although I think you should have some cards put into consideration, Instead of Harrow I'd suugest Crop Rotation because you can search for a Nykthos, Reliquary tower ect instead of looking for 2 more lands. And I think the new god from Amonkhet would be good in here, Rhonas the Indomitable, just because he's a 5/5 Deathtouch Indestructible with a good/decent ability that'll help you against aggressive decks and can get some good damage in. and maybe for a good game ender that may be beter than your other trample effects is Triumph of the Hordes. Since it grants your big beefy guys infect. just some thoughts!