|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016||Mythic Rare|
|Magic 2014||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Hydra
Kalonian Hydra enters the battlefield with four +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Kalonian Hydra attacks, double the number of +1/+1 counters on each creature you control.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Kalonian Hydra Discussion
1 day ago
I took your advice and added Selvala, Heart of the Wilds to my commander deck. While testing with her in my deck I managed to get her on the field with both Heroes' Bane, and Kalonian Hydra. I was able to double Heroes' Bane's power and toughness to 4096 with his ability. Doubling it again by swinging with Kalonian Hydra, and then tapping Selvala, Heart of the Wilds for 8192 green mana. I then proceeded to continue doubling Heroes' Bane until the program I was using to test crashed completely.
5 days ago
WarlordDesto, Since my curve tops out at only 4 4-drops, I think the 22 land count is reasonable, and possibly even a land too high. This is meant to be a hyper-aggro huge creatures build. Kalonian Hydra is tempting, but it lands turn 5 and attacks turn 6 at best. I want to have won already by turns 4-5. Solidarity of Heroes is a very interesting possibility. I enjoy the idea of using this as a combat trick or a sudden "I-win-the-game" card. I'm not sure if this is the best build yet, as splashing black and going mid-range for more powerful cards (like hydra, constrictor, and Abrupt Decay) may be better. Thanks for the comment!
1 week ago
h00n on Hydra Deck
2 weeks ago
I think there are 2 main problems about this deck:
First one is, that your mana base is too slow, cards like Kozilek's Channeler simply aren't worth it (-> why would you pay 5 for a creature which isn't useful for anything but mana?)
The second one is, as I personally think, that you should focus on 1 or 2 different hydras, and not include any you can find, because if you build the deck around 1 or 2 cards, you can focus more on their unique mechanics (i.e. Kalonian Hydra) and therefore have a stronger core.
But I wouldn't complain if I didn't have any suggestions:
- Llanowar Elves are fine, but I doubt that you will ever need more than 4, maybe split them 3/3 with Elvish Mystic.
- Consider ramping cards like Rampant Growth or Cultivate (or Dawntreader Elk but I'll mention it later).
- Maybe Sac-Lands would do (Havenwood Battleground).
- Hardened Scales are basically your best friend in an Hydra deck, because every Hydra gets more counters (yay) and you can play with other +1/+1 counter cards like...
- Burst of Strength, Hunger of the Howlpack (Dawntreader Elk!), or Mutant's Prey, which include utility and removal.
- Consider creatures like Managorger Hydra (cheap hydra that goes nuts with Hardened Scales), Nessian Wilds Ravager (for removal] or Vastwood Hydra.
- Vastwood Hydra works very will with necessary healing spells like Momentous Fall, as you can distribute the counters on other hydras.
- I'd suggest Kalonian Hydra and Primordial Hydra as main damage dealers.
- Fun combos like Karametra's Favor + Gilder Bairn works well with hydras.
- Savage Summoning when playing against blue (sideboard if you want)
I hope I've made some good suggestions on improval
2 weeks ago
Kalonian Hydra would fit your +1/+1 counter theme.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Green Ramp has so many possibilities:
Khalni Hydra can come out for free sometimes
Did you say spot-removal? my Plated Crusher don't know what that means.