Grunn, the Lonely King
Legendary Creature — Ape Warrior
Kicker 3 (You may pay an additional as you cast this spell.)
If Grunn, the Lonely King was kicked, it enters the battlefield with five +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever Grunn attacks alone, double its power and toughness until end of turn.
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Grunn, the Lonely King occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Grunn, the Lonely King Discussion
6 days ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
1 week ago
Maybe cut avenger because you're only running new cradle and any other way to abuse tokens? I know you mentioned in the group chat you want to win through overrun, but with a non-token, timmy, based commander, you should just win through beating face.
Why is Arcane lighthosue in the deck, what do you need to target of your opponents?
Cut Rhonas's Monument for another land, Yavimaya Hollow , a forest, or any other good utility land such as Miren, the Moaning Well . Maybe Deserted Temple to untap new cradle and nykthos? You had land issues (although I havent played against you enough to know) and monument isn't impactful enough.
Cut steel helkite for Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , other ulamog, or World Breaker . Both are cast triggers (as you so how crucial that was against blue), worldbreaker is recurable and colorless (for those rare, relevant moments). I understand helkite's appeal but I feel having to connect and pay mana on top of having to wait a turn assuming no haste, assuming you even have enough mana afterwards.
While this is a harder cut, it depends on the meta I suppose, cut Spearbreaker Behemoth for Boundless Realms / Traverse the Outlands . Behemoth is nice, but exile, sac and bounce effects are all prevalent in the meta.
Cut Omnath, Locus of Mana for Greenwarden of Murasa ? Not sure of what to add for this cut or the following cuts.... Recursion is nice, gives you a benefit to it's death as well (synergy with miren moaning well). Other good options of recursion include Creeping Renaissance , Seasons Past or even Preator's Counsel. Omnath does nothing at all except be a mana sink. Recursion is nice to rebuild after a wipe
Cut Apex Altisaur for Terastodon - All that mana to kill 1-2 creatures? Eh. Granted Terastodon isn't much different. Like I said, these last few cuts are flexible. But I've always had a soft spot for him.
Maybe a Dryad Arbor to synergize with G-Sun?
2 weeks ago
As for Rahnun's suggestions:
- Grunn, the Lonely King
- Primordial Sage
- Guardian Project
- Gaea's Touch
- Nissa's Pilgrimage
- Llanowar Tribe
- Kodama's Reach
- Frontier Siege
- Greater Good
- Traverse the Outlands
- Grothama, All-Devouring
- Hunter's Prowess
- Evolutionary Escalation
- Cultivator of Blades
- Mossbridge Troll
- Pathbreaker Ibex
- Forgotten Ancient
- Worldly Tutor
- Swiftfoot Boots
- Sylvan Library
- Force of Vigor
- Mirage Mirror
- Strionic Resonator
- Green Sun's Zenith
- Natural Order
- Sylvan Scrying
- Heroic Intervention
- Soul of the Harvest
3 months ago
Oh, you guys have some great ideas. My basic desire for the deck is swinging hard with Grunn, the Lonely King or Gorilla Berserkers . Alpha status on the berserkers or bestial fury on the king. I have 3 of Grunn because I wanted to get him out as often as possible. Kind of the Cesar of the deck, all hail the king baby. Not sure yet how I'll implement changes. Equipment and even high tech stuff would be interesting as it is Planet of the Apes. I thought ramp was needed and some of your suggestions were nice. I've been out of Magic for a while that there are so many cards it can overwhelm. Definitely gonna look into some Roar of Challenge , as it will be great with Berserkers or any other big apes. The Lands and land enchantments . . . hmm so good. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I do appreciate all your help here Agrothorn and aogoli. I might finally get my Apes deck running.
3 months ago
Sheltered Thicket has two types, mountain and forest, so it helps with Kird Ape . Maybe you can focus on your lands to surprise your adversary with Primal Bellow , you may try Ash Barrens or Evolving Wilds . Or, following the shout style: Roar of the Crowd .
In fact this deck can use a lot of cards ideas. So I believe you will maintain it opened for new ideas you may have for quite a while.
4 months ago
Grunn, the Lonely King could be a good add, as well as Might of the Masses . Mostly use Grunn if you think your opponent is going to have a very low number of kill spells, and Might of the Masses is pretty much just Berserk , but won't kill your creature if your opponent played Fog in response. It also boosts toughness if you need that, such as to attempt to survive something like Battle at the Bridge or Bathe in Dragonfire .
6 months ago
Grunn, the Lonely King is a solid commander option in his own right. The guys over at Star City Games did a video a while back of pauper builds, and Grunn was just nasty. He's pretty much Voltron, but man, can he get big and smashy fast.
6 months ago
I just want a deck where I can play my Grunn, the Lonely King and not feel like a total idiot haha