Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Creature — Human Warrior
When Ironclad Slayer enters the battlefield, you may return target Aura or Equipment card from your graveyard to your hand.
3 months ago
Hello fellow Wyleth, Soul of Card Draw player!
I'm glad you got both Wyleth's and Aesi's precons for a good price. They are reeeeally explosive in gameplay with a few upgrades.
I play a lot of this bad boy, and I want to suggest some swaps below 3 USD for you to take it to a higher ground:
First of all, the ramp. I found out that 2 CMC, untapped ramp is the best for Wyleth. Since he draws so many cards, he can chain rocks and voltron pieces in the same turn, so his next turn is even more explosive than the last one. I almost always have more mana than the Green decks in my pod.
- Oreskos Explorer -> Dowsing Dagger Flip (you can get this to flip easily on turn 4)
- Kor Cartographer (too slow) -> Arcane Signet
- Emeria Shepherd (Voltron decks need a REALLY good reason to run cards above 3 mana in their builds) -> Starnheim Courser (this allows you to storm out of control. It is another body to voltron if needed)
- Keeper of the Accord (the token is irrelevant for you and, with Wyleth's card draw, you won't be behind in land drops) -> Talisman of Conviction
You should run boardwipes that hits your stuff the least:
- Tragic Arrogance (no need to destroy your own stuff) -> The Eternal Wanderer's ult
- Disenchant -> Heliod's Intervention
- Ironclad Slayer (we'll compensate him in the landbase) -> Vandalblast
Also, you can streamline your removal package. All of those are fetchable by Sunforger:
- Wear / Tear (good removal, but you already have more flexible options) -> Reprieve (that's one hell of a card to fetch out with Sunforger)
- Hyena Umbra (still vulnerable to exile and bounce effects) -> Blacksmith's Skill (all-around protection)
More/better auras and equipment
- Gimli's Axe -> Maul of the Skyclaves
- Argentum Armor (too expensive to cast) -> Mirror Shield (hexproof is crucial on a Voltron build)
Cheating equip costs
- Brass Squire (having to wait a turn to use his ability is rough) -> Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist
- Kemba, Kha Regent (too slow for a Voltron build) -> Bruenor Battlehammer
More utility lands
- Minas Tirith (Wyleth draws enough cards already. Also, most of the time, you will only have a single creature on the field) -> Axgard Armory (tutor on a land)
- Plains -> Sejiri Shelter Flip (a protection spell stapled onto a land)
- Mountain -> Buried Ruin (Ironclad Slayer's removal is avenged!)
- Plains -> Mistveil Plains (it can return instants back to the deck to be fetched again by Sunforger)
- Mountain -> Great Furnace (synergy with All That Glitters and Puresteel Paladin)
- Plains -> Ancient Den (same as above)
4 years ago
Your manabase seems pretty good, I don't think 6 taplands is too little, plus you have Ash Barrens to find the basics you need.
I think your deck could utilize the new Answered Prayers from Modern Horizons pretty well - you have a decent number of creatures and plenty of ways to recur it.
The Bogardan Dragonheart - Kaya's Ghostform - Ironclad Slayer / Monk Idealist package seems kind of interesting; I'm interested to see how that works out in practice, but initally it seems clunky/slow to me.
I think if you were to make room to add TortEx/Grave Scrabbler it would indeed dilute too much away from your initial strategy. Your deck currently lacks ways to fuel cards into the graveyard like typical TortEx builds like Commune with the Gods and Vessel of Nascency , which are outside of your deck's colors. Maybe if you switched to Abzan instead of Mardu it could work, but as of now it just seems kinda unrealistic.
5 years ago
- Sol Ring -> Azorius Keyrune: Taking out Sol Ring bc it's oppressive. Kind of a soft ban.
- Azorius Cluestone -> Ojutai Monument: Having a 4/4 dragon available is better than a single card draw when we have mana to burn.
- Mana Vault -> Basalt Monolith: moving towards 3 drop ramp to synergize with Trophy Mage.
- Auramancer -> Ironclad Slayer: Auramancer may technically have more targets, but the slayer hits our 3 hexproof/shroud equipment, which is more valuable than most of the non-aura enchantments. Plus Sun Titan gets many if not all of them back as well.
- Wingmate Roc -> Keeper of Keys: Roc conceptually has good value, but it relies on Raid. Keeper provides card draw as well as mass evasion for finishing.
- Ugin's Insight -> Recurring Insight: originally replaced with Trial of Knowledge and while that card is good, I wanted non-etb card draw effects in case of Torpor Orb or similar etb hate.
5 years ago
Some suggestions: Remove card-Replace with: Kitesail- Basilisk Collar Grappling Hook- Accorder's Shield Konda's Banner- Manaforce Mace Banshee's Blade- Armory of Iroas Everflowing Chalice- Astral Cornucopia Magebane Armor- Slayer's Plate Puppet Strings- Echo Circlet Silver-Inlaid Dagger- Captain's Claws White Mana Battery- Ring of Thune Accorder Paladin- Brass Squire Auriok Bladewright- Danitha Capashen, Paragon Auriok Replica- Amrou Seekers/Etched Champion Blinding Souleater- Ironclad Slayer Goldnight Commander- Daring Archaeologist Vengeful Archon- Forebear's Blade/ Heirloom Blade Conqueror's Pledge- Sigarda's Aid
5 years ago
Too many dead cards in the current list. Pick a strategy and go all-in on it. You don't win matches by being sorta good at two things sometimes.
You can cut lightning greaves , summoning and soldier, run Indulgent Aristocrat, Blade of the Bloodchief and Vampire Cutthroat for an aggro/lifegain strategy that lets you focus on getting black mana turns 1-2-3 then white can be tapllands without losing too much.
Alternatively, build around Heartless Summoning, with more cards in the 3/4 slot (Aven Riftwatcher, Bygone Bishop Eidolon of Rhetoric and Eldrazi Displacer coming down turn three in multiples is devastating), and acceleration like Pentad Prism to ensure you can get them onto the field. You can also put resto back in, run lots of etbs.
5 years ago
Warrior Creatures to Consider:
Devoted Crop-Mate like a weird Alesha
Hidden Dragonslayer decent removal
Ironclad Slayer if you are playing a lot of equipments
Malakir Cullblade gets bigger
Champion of the Flame if you go super heavy on the equipment
Garna, the Bloodflame save the creatures from a boardwipe? Not sure how it will do in action
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs pillowfort and some bodies
Taurean Mauler -technically a warrior
Burnished Hart ramp and can be brought back by Alesha
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight -got reprinted in Master 25 so its cheaper and will get reprinted again in Commander anthology II but that one will be foil so not sure if that will affect price
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser goad is amazing and his second ability is nice if you have mana to spend
Equipment to Consider:
Sunforger one of the best equipments in these colors, fetch your removal
Kusari-Gama mini boardwipe if they block
Artifacts to Consider:
- Gilded Lotus just got reprinted so its cheaper now
- Fellwar Stone our play group usually has your colors
- Oketra's Monument cast a warrior, get a warrior
- Throne of the God-Pharaoh
- Mardu Ascendancy
- Dictate of the Twin Gods you have both gods in deck, so why not?
- Berserkers' Onslaught
- Gift of Immortality
- Behind the Scenes since some of your creatures have low-ish power, although might such with all the anthem effects you have
- Pain Magnification just a fun card
- Kindred Boon
- Chandra's Ignition -really great boardwipe for this deck, if zurgo has lifelink you will get that life and also anything that dies will give him counters. You could have zurgo, cast this, and then more than likely one shot a player
- Read the Bones
- Open the Armory
- Disrupt Decorum tapped out won't link this for some reason
Instants: (sticking with four or less Cmc for sunforger shenanigans)
- Rogue's Passage
- Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
- Unclaimed Territory
- Path of Ancestry kinda pricey now tho
Mardu is great for control, so its best to have plenty of removal spells. I would not have Spinerock Knoll since it might be too slow. Windbrisk Heights might be better than Spinerock tho. Like what if you need to play that spell but can't get 7 damage off. Also, Graveblade Marauder seems too situational to leave an impact. When you start adding/removal stuff to the deck, make sure to keep it low cmc as you can since you don't have much in terms of ramp in these colors; be sure to keep as mana rocks as you can for the same reason.
5 years ago
Talorc03, I hear ya when it comes to lands. Usually I run about 37 and then shift up and down based on average CMC and amount of card draw. So far I am finding 35 sufficient in the deck due to lower CMC and good ramp. I'll definitely throw in another one if I find myself mana screwed. Hasn't come up yet though.
Ralsek, thanks! I've kinda gone off Return to Dust and Sylvan Reclamation, especially in a lower CMC deck like this one. If I threw in an exiling artifact/enchantment removal, it would probably be Forsake the Worldly. I really like its flexibility with the added cycling. Sure, you don't get the 2-for-1 but it's great at 3 mana and the cycling ability. Don't know what removal I'd cut to make room for it though.
Senomar, I hadn't thought of Mistveil Plains...thanks for the suggestion! Do you think it's better than something that would just bring the Hammer right back to hand? For example, I've thought of adding Ironclad Slayer to bring it back to hand (and also have another body on the field).
Treehugger003, I've thought about Blade of Selves. I don't own a copy, but I see its use. In a 4 player game it would offer pretty solid card advantage, tutoring up a couple more equipment. I may pick one up!
5 years ago
Hi!I answer in order:
Return to Dust the card is strong, no doubt about it, I run it in another deck that is weaker on card advantage and desperately needs spells like this. I don't run it here for a couple of reasons. First, my take on Sram requires me to really use well my turns in a proactive way. I really want to advance my board state or my virtual position (with my hand) every turn and I usually can't afford to spend my main phase with a 4-cmc targeted removal for it's maximum value. I can't even cast it on opponents' turn when there is a must-answer-now threat since I usually tap out or almost tap out on my turn and I can only afford to leave mana open for 1-2 cmc removal such as Swords to Plowshares or Disenchant. In particular, I often play against the guy who commented above you, he runs a Derevi, Empyrial Tactician deck full of annoying threats against which I need to be faster, but he also has a stax subtheme that is completely broken with Derevi, so if he pulls out a Stasis or any winter orb effect I need to be able to answer it with 1-2 mana, otherwise I'm not seeing any mana ever again.
I like Elspeth, Knight-Errant, if I ever get one it will be tested, could take Emeria Angel's spot. Their role is to produce food for the Skullclamp or bodies that can carry a sword. Elspeth can bring more versatility though.
Thought Vessel this is a tricky one, I don't run it for a particular choice, as I don't run Reliquary Tower. In my opinion, if you ever are in a position where your hand size exceeds 7 (often happens) it means that you are in a good shape. In that situation I just keep in hand the best spells and discard the others. Actually, if I have cards like Ironclad Slayer in hand, I can discard auras and equips, because he can grab them back when I need them. In this way, even if I have a limited hand, I virtually have access to the graveyard as a second hand. Having an unlimited hand would make those effects less useful.But of course, it's just a choice, I could run it, but for now I never felt the need to keep everything in hand.
Mox Opal budget reason
Recruiter of the Guard card is strong, it's also growing in price. I could run it but I don't have any creature that I absolutely need to find and that he could target. Most of them are tutors or recursion spells on a body, so it would be a bit slow to tutor for a stoneforge mystic and than use her to tutor something else and finally cast the thing that I wanted. Most of these effects I have on creatures have enough redundancy that I don't need him too badly, I think.