Creature — Vampire Warrior
Whenever a creature an opponent controls dies (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield), put a +1/+1 counter on Malakir Cullblade.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Malakir Cullblade Discussion
1 month ago
To stay more in black, I would consider some sort of vampire sacrifice, counters, and/or lifedrain strategy. Your black cards that could work well in such a deck would be Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim , Embodiment of Agonies , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , Knight of the Ebon Legion , Mortician Beetle , Souls of the Faultless , Castigate , Disentomb , Gerrard's Verdict , Revival / Revenge , Despark , and Grim Return . Most of the other black cards are at least playable as well. The only two I'd cut in most circumstances are Underworld Dreams and In Garruk's Wake . The former needs more build-around while the latter just costs too much to be a consistent boardwipe.
Cards I'd look at adding for such a build might be Gatekeeper of Malakir , Anowon, the Ruin Sage , Sangromancer , Dictate of Erebos , Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , Victim of Night , Indulgent Aristocrat , Pawn of Ulamog , Grim Haruspex , Silversmote Ghoul , Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Vampire Nighthawk , Vampire of the Dire Moon , Malakir Cullblade , Blood Artist , Urge to Feed , Feast of Blood , Heliod, Sun-Crowned , Archangel of Thune , Cruel Celebrant , Drana's Emissary , Indulging Patrician , Malakir Bloodwitch , Marauding Blight-Priest , Sanctum Seeker , Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose , and Pious Evangel Flip.
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget version of Edgar.
You have the right idea with wanting to cast Vamps quick to take advantage of eminence, but the manabase also needs to match this strategy. There's too many lands that will always ETB tapped which reduces the consistency of casting Vamps quick. More dual lands that can ETB untapped would speed up game play.
Some budget land upgrades to consider:
- Caves of Koilos --> Forsaken Sanctuary
- Unclaimed Territory --> Gateway Plaza
- Exotic Orchard --> Idyllic Grange
- Battlefield Forge --> Stone Quarry
- Tainted Field --> Boros Guildgate
- Smoldering Marsh --> Cinder Barrens
- Ash Barrens --> Evolving Wilds
- Temple of Silence --> Akoum Refuge
- Temple of Triumph --> Bloodfell Caves
Some other budget cards to consider adding:
- Knight of the Ebon Legion
- Forerunner of the Legion : Vamp tutor and it can repeatable pump
- Pact of the Serpent : from Kaldheim Commander and it's a powerful draw spell with Vamp tokens.
- Shadow Alley Denizen : repeatable evasion
- Rakish Heir : grows each Vamp who does combat damage to a player including itself.
- Necropolis Regent
- Etchings of the Chosen : anthem and can be repeatable protection for Vamps from board wipes by sacing tokens to protect nontoken Vamps.
- Scapegoat can save all nontoken Vamps from a board wipe by sacing one token and you get to cast the Vamps again to recover as well as trigger more eminence.
- Bloodline Pretender : it can get huge because it triggers whenever a Vamp token is created.
- Raise the Draugr : can recur two Vamps for two mana at instant speed.
Higher CMC Vamps as less needed because you have Edgar who's the six drop you want to cast more than the others, but Necropolis Regent is a budget second. Like Edgar, Regent is also good with a Vamp swam as well as with Edgar and other flying Vamps.
Some cards to consider cutting:
- Price of Knowledge
- Sengir, the Dark Baron
- Crimson Honor Guard
- Arvad the Cursed
- Bishop of Binding
- Bloodbond Vampire
- Malakir Cullblade
- Bone Splinters
- Ambition's Cost
Good luck with your deck.
10 months ago
Dude those dragons are doing so well (when no one wipes them)!
Did you want a similar deck? 'Cuz that's what you've got here... but I think you should lean into go-wide-aggro > midrange and play more 1-2 cmc creatures and move all your ramp to 2 (Rampant Growth, signets, etc).
Rhys the Redeemed... he's getting a reprint
Gutterbones... reusable 1-drops
Norin the Wary... free 1/1s or ETB triggers
Mist-Cloaked Herald... anything that can't be blocked
Graveblade Marauder... anything <4 with deathtouch
Alpine Houndmaster... going wide?
Malakir Cullblade... grower not a shower
Tribal decks have so much flavor! Hope this helps, maybe we'll see it next weekend? :o
1 year ago
1 year ago
2 years ago
My suggestions for cuts are plentiful. However, Kresh the Bloodbraided comes to mind immediately. Reyhan, Last of the Abzan would be good, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is great, Rockslide Elemental is similar to Kresh, Taurean Mauler is another Managorger, and Yahenni, Undying Partisan and Malakir Cullblade, with even more similarities to Kresh, may fit well with your flavor. Curse of Stalked Prey could help, alongside Curse of Predation, some mana rocks would do you good, Apocalypse Hydra, and many other hydras would be decent finishers, Kalonian Hydra takes the cake though. Armorcraft Judge is nice, along with Inspiring Call, Pelt Collector and Experiment One, Champion of Lambholt, maybe Heroes' Bane, Ravenous Slime, Rubblebelt Raiders, Deus of Calamity, Scute Mob, Sporeback Troll, Tuskguard Captain, Vinelasher Kudzu, Soul's Majesty, Falkenrath Exterminator, and Stromkirk Noble?
So that's a few suggestions. Want me to propose cuts as well?
2 years ago
Desecration Demon isn't really doing much here. His whole theme is to have a cheap 6/6 flyer that an opponent can stall out to prevent it from attacking them. But the cheap is irrelevant because we're playing kaalia. So let's expand on its secondary purpose, making an opponent punish him/herself to stop you from doing something you really lack, card draw, with Indulgent Tormentor
Malakir Cullblade doesn't fit the theme of this deck. Malakir relies on your opponents to let him grow into a threat when the theme of this deck is to cheat out creatures that are already threats. Deaths usually don't happen unless you're dealing with a sacrifice themed deck. Instead, consider Strionic Resonator This card is also 2 CMC and is fantastic in this deck as you already have a lot of triggered ability creatures and more importantly, it works with Kaalia allowing you to go from cheating 1 giant creature for free per turn to cheating 2 giant creatures for free for 2 mana of any color.
3 years ago
This looks pretty good! I would like to suggest the following vampires for you. Some of my suggestions are a bit more expensive (and I know you want to keep this deck as budget as possible). The only reason I am suggesting them is that they are great value in your deck and can truly be game-changers for you (imho):
- Falkenrath Exterminator; very nice zap ability that does not require tapping; especially when you start to gain those useful +1/+1 counters.
- Malakir Cullblade; can get strong pretty quickly, especially when playing against multiple opponents.
- Kalastria Highborn; a bit expensive, but makes you less of an interesting target for spot removal or board wipes.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir; very powerful vampire and not too expensive for what she can do.
- Bloodline Keeper Flip; you want tokens? You'll get them.
- Sangromancer; in case life-gain is an intricate part of your strategy for this deck.
- Necropolis Regent; counters for everyone! Well, for you anyway.
- Olivia Voldaren; if you can't beat it, persuade it to join.
- Blood Baron of Vizkopa; pretty strong without the buff; insanely powerful with it.
Hope this helps any. And should you have the time and inclination, I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for one of my EDH decks (just pick one (or more)). Happy brewing and playing!