Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 for each card in your hand.
Equip (: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery. This card enters the battlefield unattached and stays in play if the creature leaves the battlefield.)
3 months ago
Hello fellow Wyleth, Soul of Card Draw player!
I'm glad you got both Wyleth's and Aesi's precons for a good price. They are reeeeally explosive in gameplay with a few upgrades.
I play a lot of this bad boy, and I want to suggest some swaps below 3 USD for you to take it to a higher ground:
First of all, the ramp. I found out that 2 CMC, untapped ramp is the best for Wyleth. Since he draws so many cards, he can chain rocks and voltron pieces in the same turn, so his next turn is even more explosive than the last one. I almost always have more mana than the Green decks in my pod.
- Oreskos Explorer -> Dowsing Dagger Flip (you can get this to flip easily on turn 4)
- Kor Cartographer (too slow) -> Arcane Signet
- Emeria Shepherd (Voltron decks need a REALLY good reason to run cards above 3 mana in their builds) -> Starnheim Courser (this allows you to storm out of control. It is another body to voltron if needed)
- Keeper of the Accord (the token is irrelevant for you and, with Wyleth's card draw, you won't be behind in land drops) -> Talisman of Conviction
You should run boardwipes that hits your stuff the least:
- Tragic Arrogance (no need to destroy your own stuff) -> The Eternal Wanderer's ult
- Disenchant -> Heliod's Intervention
- Ironclad Slayer (we'll compensate him in the landbase) -> Vandalblast
Also, you can streamline your removal package. All of those are fetchable by Sunforger:
- Wear / Tear (good removal, but you already have more flexible options) -> Reprieve (that's one hell of a card to fetch out with Sunforger)
- Hyena Umbra (still vulnerable to exile and bounce effects) -> Blacksmith's Skill (all-around protection)
More/better auras and equipment
- Gimli's Axe -> Maul of the Skyclaves
- Argentum Armor (too expensive to cast) -> Mirror Shield (hexproof is crucial on a Voltron build)
Cheating equip costs
- Brass Squire (having to wait a turn to use his ability is rough) -> Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist
- Kemba, Kha Regent (too slow for a Voltron build) -> Bruenor Battlehammer
More utility lands
- Minas Tirith (Wyleth draws enough cards already. Also, most of the time, you will only have a single creature on the field) -> Axgard Armory (tutor on a land)
- Plains -> Sejiri Shelter Flip (a protection spell stapled onto a land)
- Mountain -> Buried Ruin (Ironclad Slayer's removal is avenged!)
- Plains -> Mistveil Plains (it can return instants back to the deck to be fetched again by Sunforger)
- Mountain -> Great Furnace (synergy with All That Glitters and Puresteel Paladin)
- Plains -> Ancient Den (same as above)
11 months ago
Empyrial Plate might be really good!
1 year ago
Cool deck, looks fun!!!
You can make your commander show up in your deck by typing asteriskcmdr asterisk after the name.
Also, Skullclamp should be an auto include, and High Market might be fun. Empyrial Plate can help make your commander bigger so you get more tokens.
Cheers and have fun!!
1 year ago
Grind, thank you!
First: This is a decklist of a deck I play exclusively on MTG Arena. As such, currently, it only includes cards that are available on MTG Arena. But I do have a list of cards in mind that I might add should I ever purchase this deck in paper. Those are in the maybeboard, but that list isn't even close to refined, so suggestions are welcome.
Now to your suggestions: Neither Empyrial Plate nor Eldrazi Conscription are instants or sorceries. Note how almost every nonland card in this deck is either an instant or sorcery, so it can take advantage of Vadrik's discount. Putting +1/+1 counters on Vadrik is mainly done with day/night transitions in the eraly game, while saving the mana during those turns for 1 mana protection spells. So, if I had 8 mana to spend on Eldrazi Conscription in the late-game, that mana would be spent better on spells that give me massive card draw / tutors / extra turns / etc. for way less mana. Combined with Flux Channeler or Wizard Class, that means Vadrik just grows to infinitely, by which point you already basically won. The trample is nice I guess, but at that point, it's not really necessary anymore.
Empyrial Plate however is interesting. I could slam it down in turn 2 or 3 (during these turns I don't do much anyways) and then use it later if I needed it. The question is whether it wouldn't be better to then just use Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots instead, since right now growth isn't really an issue. Once Vadrik has 3 or 4 power and you have a card draw in your hand, you can usually go infinite. But I'll keep Empyrial Plate in mind.
Thanks for your suggestions!
1 year ago
1 year ago
2 years ago
Hey, you're welcome. If you want more advice from me I would rather give it here.
Some changes to consider based on the card suggestions in my last comment.
- Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist --> Flickerwisp
- Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith --> Ironclad Slayer
- Fighter Class --> Faith Unbroken
- Open the Armory --> Introduction to Prophecy
- Akiri, Fearless Voyager --> Venerable Warsinger
- Colossus Hammer --> Bonesplitter
- Empyrial Plate --> Haunted Cloak
- Zephyr Boots --> Mask of Avacyn
- Arcane Signet --> Liquimetal Torque
- Sun Titan --> Late to Dinner
- Thought Vessel --> Pressure Point
- Mistveil Plains --> Plains
- Battlefield Forge --> Mountain
- Furycalm Snarl --> Plains
- Axgard Armory --> Plains
These changes would increase interactions with equipment, include equipment tutors, more ramp and better reanimation.
2 years ago
Hey, nice overall upgrade of the precon on a very low budget.
Wyleth is much better as a Commander than Bruenor because Wyleth can draw cards which is more powerful as a repeatable ability than Bruenor's pump as well as only being able to equip once for free. Drawing cards in Boros can be more difficult than with other colors thus if your Commander can repeatedly draw then that's an advantage that Boros can really benefit from. You can get reduced equip costs or even free equip from other cards.
With Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist at combat on your turn you can equip all equipment you control for free to Wyleth which is nice with Colossus Hammer . Ardenn has excellent interaction with Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith 's Rocks which are equipment that's created when a land you control ETB. Toggo creates free equipment and Ardenn lets you equip it all to Wyleth for free.
Fighter Class is first an equipment tutor and then you can pay three mana for level 2 which reduces all equipment equip cost by two mana. Level 2 and Level 3 effects are static, after you pay mana the first time. With Level 2 you can pay three mana again to further reduce the cost of equipment another two mana, etc. If you pay five mana for level 3 then you don't lose the effects of level 2. Level 3 can be repeatable creature removal of your choice of opponent blocker when Wyleth attacks.
Akiri, Fearless Voyager is more repeatable draw with equipped creatures as well as a repeatable way to save Wyleth for one mana from many board wipes, other removal and in combat by giving him indestructible. Arcane Signet is a staple mana rock in Commander. Sun Titan is versatile repeatable reanimation of any 3 CMC or less permanent which includes Wyleth.
Pair Empyrial Plate with Thought Vessel to make Wyleth huge and a threat to win by doing evasion Commander damage. Zephyr Boots is a one drop equipment that can give Wyleth flying evasion as well as repeatable loot.
Consider cutting a few basic lands for more Boros dual lands as well as some utility lands? Mistveil Plains combos with Sunforger to keep casting instants since Mistveil puts an instant from graveyard back into your library to then cast again with Sunforger. Battlefield Forge and Furycalm Snarl are budget duals that can ETB untapped and Axgard Armory can be an equipment tutor.
If interested I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.