Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Enchantment — Aura
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has first strike.
Totem Armor (If enchanted creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and destroy this Aura.)
1 week ago
Fabled Hero also seems a little slow to run as a 4 of. A little more pricey upgrade would be replacing it with x4 Kor Spiritdancer adding card advantage from cast triggers of auras. She’s not heroic, but her ability feels similar.
Livewire Lash is another cut. I think the “shock” effect can be useful, but cards like Hyena Umbra, Sentinel's Eyes, Ethereal Armor would all be choice upgrades as a x1, x2, or x3 of any combination in its place.
Past that a sideboard can be extremely useful in modern. A fairly standard sideboard for the current meta that is fairly budget is.
Hope any of these suggestions helped!
2 months ago
Hello fellow Wyleth, Soul of Card Draw player!
I'm glad you got both Wyleth's and Aesi's precons for a good price. They are reeeeally explosive in gameplay with a few upgrades.
I play a lot of this bad boy, and I want to suggest some swaps below 3 USD for you to take it to a higher ground:
First of all, the ramp. I found out that 2 CMC, untapped ramp is the best for Wyleth. Since he draws so many cards, he can chain rocks and voltron pieces in the same turn, so his next turn is even more explosive than the last one. I almost always have more mana than the Green decks in my pod.
- Oreskos Explorer -> Dowsing Dagger Flip (you can get this to flip easily on turn 4)
- Kor Cartographer (too slow) -> Arcane Signet
- Emeria Shepherd (Voltron decks need a REALLY good reason to run cards above 3 mana in their builds) -> Starnheim Courser (this allows you to storm out of control. It is another body to voltron if needed)
- Keeper of the Accord (the token is irrelevant for you and, with Wyleth's card draw, you won't be behind in land drops) -> Talisman of Conviction
You should run boardwipes that hits your stuff the least:
- Tragic Arrogance (no need to destroy your own stuff) -> The Eternal Wanderer's ult
- Disenchant -> Heliod's Intervention
- Ironclad Slayer (we'll compensate him in the landbase) -> Vandalblast
Also, you can streamline your removal package. All of those are fetchable by Sunforger:
- Wear / Tear (good removal, but you already have more flexible options) -> Reprieve (that's one hell of a card to fetch out with Sunforger)
- Hyena Umbra (still vulnerable to exile and bounce effects) -> Blacksmith's Skill (all-around protection)
More/better auras and equipment
- Gimli's Axe -> Maul of the Skyclaves
- Argentum Armor (too expensive to cast) -> Mirror Shield (hexproof is crucial on a Voltron build)
Cheating equip costs
- Brass Squire (having to wait a turn to use his ability is rough) -> Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist
- Kemba, Kha Regent (too slow for a Voltron build) -> Bruenor Battlehammer
More utility lands
- Minas Tirith (Wyleth draws enough cards already. Also, most of the time, you will only have a single creature on the field) -> Axgard Armory (tutor on a land)
- Plains -> Sejiri Shelter Flip (a protection spell stapled onto a land)
- Mountain -> Buried Ruin (Ironclad Slayer's removal is avenged!)
- Plains -> Mistveil Plains (it can return instants back to the deck to be fetched again by Sunforger)
- Mountain -> Great Furnace (synergy with All That Glitters and Puresteel Paladin)
- Plains -> Ancient Den (same as above)
6 months ago
Hello! I went through your list looking for spots to upgrade, but I found almost none: congratulations, it is really optimized!
Still, I believe you might want to consider some of these cards to increase your engine:
- Since your deck punishes artifacts so heavily (Austere Command, Stony Silence, Titania's Song), I believe Helm of the Gods could be swapped out for Primal Order as a punisher for nonbasic landbases. (Against my decks, it would be doing all the damage.)
- Michiko's Reign of Truth Flip, Katilda, Dawnhart Martyr Flip and Hallowed Haunting might be good finishers for your deck.
8 months ago
Lol unfortunately not a MST3K reference Gleeock. I used to watch MST3K on occasion when I was growing up.
I just generally love corvids, they're my favorite animals. My first favorite deck in my early days of MtG was tabletop jank Bogles deck with Hyena Umbra & friends. Totem Armor was one of my first loves. My username is as much a tribute to crows & Totem Armor as it is a hope to get an actual "Crow Umbra" card printed some day.
Back to the topic at hand- I'm very intrigued about the Riders of Rohan precon deck. I'm looking forward to their explanation on why they chose Jeskai for them.
11 months ago
So, let's say that I have Mulldrifter and it has a Hyena Umbra, and a shield counter from Boon of Safety and then gets a Doom Blade on the face. Do I get to choose between the counter or the umbra? Or will they both leave?
1 year ago
lhetrick13 - Sounds like a sound plan. No need to rush to collect cards. I can recommend CardKingdom, especially for buying entire decks, I've bought all my decks from there. They have a large stock of cards so you don't have to worry about multiple shipment costs stacking up. TCGPlayer seems good as well if you are buying individual or a few cards. Cards like The Ozolith are insanely expensive and not worth the money in my opinion. It's definitely possible to build good decks on a budget. I've built a minotaur deck a while back for a friend (The Minotaur Horde). It's a pretty powerful deck with a 50-50 win rate against pretty much any of my decks, and the entire deck cost less than a single copy of The Ozolith.
I feel like Unearth's CMC makes it hard to beat, but I've actually considered playing more "return from graveyard cards", and Patch Up is a great suggestion. I've also looked at Kaya's Ghostform. It's an aura which means it can be found with Acclaimed Contender and it protects from exile, which is something my friends often use. If I make the switch, I'm dropping Hyena Umbra.
I'm glad to hear that your Haakon decks are improving! And I understand the feeling regarding your vampire decks. I've built many decks that had fun ideas but didn't perform well or consistently when I played them, and it's always a letdown. Both my knight and vampire decks were like that for the longest time, but I managed to turn them around, so keep working on them! For myself, what little time I spend on building right now is mostly spent on tweaking the knights or my new wizard deck.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Have you considered Hyena Umbra as a way to survive Wraths or creatures blocking you? 6 power First Strike will clobber most 2-4 drops quite handily.