Creature — Hag Shaman
When Hag Hedge-Mage enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Swamps, you may have target player discard a card.
When Hag Hedge-Mage enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Forests, you may put target card in your graveyard on top of your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Hag Hedge-Mage Discussion
2 years ago
As I said earlier Creeping is a bad card... Reclaim, Nature's Spiral, Hag Hedge-Mage Reviving Melody and most famous of all Eternal Witness or Noxious Revival. It's pricey but Greater Auramancy grants Shroud, this is like Hexproof except you also cant target the enchantments. Open the Vaults puts any returned cards directly into play, you don't need to recast them, it too is actually better than Creeping, even if it costs 1 mana more. That would include something ridiculous like Platinum Emperion for example, a lot of decks use the graveyard as a resource.
2 years ago
- Oblivion Stone
- Chain of Acid
- Golgari Charm
- Elixir of Immortality
- Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
- Wretched Confluence
- Wall of Blossoms
- Hag Hedge-Mage
3 years ago
Cheap BG stuff that you might want to consider: Vulturous Zombie stuff dying is quite good, Varolz, the Scar-Striped graveuard stuff and sac engine, Spiritmonger, Reaper of the Wilds stuff dying is good, Rakshasa Deathdealer, Putrid Leech a decent buff, Pharika, God of Affliction graveyard and make some snakes, Hag Hedge-Mage versatility is good, Grave-Shell Scarab for some draw, Doomgape is a good sac engine, Deity of Scars good dude in general, Baloth Null for some recursion, Puppeteer Clique not BG but steal your opponet's stuff.
4 years ago
I would suggest more ramp. Ideally ramp on creatures that sacrifice themselves, yeah? Diligent Farmhand, Dawntreader Elk. Or some fatties who can help ramp/fix early like Krosan Tusker, Shefet Monitor which can cycle to draw you a card, plus either get a land to hand or to the battlefield, all while giving you a bigger body in the grave ready for Meren to use the effect again from hand or straight to the battlefield. Nothing can compare to Sakura Tribe-Elder and Wood Elves, but these guys help you stay creature heavy, feed into synergies, and helps you get to your ~49 mana/ramp sources. I would say you could cut 1-2 basics if you add in diligent and dawntreader at least. I have you at 49.
I don't know how much you like Primal Growth. It's pretty efficient if you are sacrificing a creature a lot of the time and that's feeding into your synergy, and there's even a card like Viridian Emissary who needs to be sacrificed to be useful, but I personally don't run either of those cards just because I'm in Karador (and tutor up Meren) with only 6 basic lands total. Instead I run more self-mill and include the new Ramunap Excavator, with cards like Splendid Reclamation, and Far Wanderings which is always 3 mana for 3 basics. Sure there is more risk in self-mill (make your opponents graveyard hate better) but I find that's less common than not having a sac outlet (Viridian Emissary) and/or needing my only blocker to avoid being beat up on early (Primal Growth). That being said, I think those two can definitely work better for you than me, but I would really like to say how well Splendid Reclamation has done for me, often netting 5+ lands even if cast early (turn 4-6). I feed that engine by using more cards like Ash Barrens, Myriad Landscape, the fetchlands (proxies lel- I hate expensive lands), and unfortunately some G/W lands that you can't run, but also stuff like Gather the Pack, Commune with the Gods, Crop Sigil (This can net you back a land on it's own), Drown in Filth which is removal as well.
These effects can also be found on creatures Mindwrack Demon is a beater and delirium is easy to achieve. Splinterfright, Sewer Nemesis are big X/X beaters who enable themselves to get bigger, Grim Flayer filters your draws and stocks your yard. Of course the dredge spells, four of which I find good enough to run Golgari Grave-Troll, Golgari Thug, Stinkweed Imp, and Life from the Loam. For a bonus when you run this much grave interaction you can use this nifty old creature Keeper of the Dead, oh you'll also want ways to get cards back from your graveyard besides Eternal Witness (my main target often being Splendid Reclamation) I would recommend adding Den Protector, Hag Hedge-Mage, and Greenwarden of Murasa. I find these to be generally better than Magus of the Will unless you've already got 10+ mana.
From your Maybelist I would definitely recommend Fleshbag and Merciless Executioner. Maybe Ashnod's Altar although I find Altar of Dementia to be even better without any infinite mana combos. Grave Pact is of course a house.
Some other random cards I think are include worthy, mostly cards that remove opponents stuff: Caustic Caterpillar, Avatar of Woe, Deathrite Shaman, Reclamation Sage (how could you cut this? lol), Shadowborn Demon. Possibly Oversold Cemetery, Undertaker for more recursion. Hell's Caretaker, Doomed Necromancer, Sheoldred, Whispering One, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Phyrexian Delver for recursion to the battlefield. Fauna Shaman, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Rune-Scarred Demon, Evolutionary Leap, Survival of the Fittest, Jarad's Orders for tutors.
4 years ago
It doesn't seem like there is much synergy for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth. If you don't have a land to replace it I would recomend adding something like Liliana of the Dark Realms, Corrupt, or Nightmare Incursion. I also like the card Hag Hedge-Mage though it is not an elf.
5 years ago
Some inexpensive cards to consider: Blood Artist, Doomed Necromancer, Vengeful Pharaoh, Zulaport Cutthroat, Vampiric Rites, Ashnod's Altar, Deathgreeter, Oversold Cemetery, Baloth Null, Hag Hedge-Mage, Marrow Chomper, Golgari Germination, Catacomb Sifter, Grim Haruspex, and Rot Shambler.
5 years ago
Here's a list of the cards I dug up which return dragons from GY to deck for scion re-use.
- efficiently costed
- returns multiple dragons
- doesn't make us draw the dragon by putting it on top (ur dragon shuffles stuff away when you use it though)
- instant speed
- difficult to destroy/interact with - other utility (such as a secondary effect, or having a decent body)
Yanu on Meren deck
5 years ago
Hello there,Personally I would cut
- Cloudthresher - he does nothing, except for killing flying tokens, only flying tokens
- Champion of Stray Souls - Sepulchral Primordial
- Deathrite Shaman - If you need ramp, make it as synergic with Meren as possible - Burnished Hart, Yavimaya Granger, Diligent Farmhand - all of these kill themselves, pumping your experience
- Great Oak Guardian - Craterhoof Behemoth
- Hag Hedge-Mage - This card isn't very good, especially in multiplayer pods
- Korozda Guildmage - This too
- Lotleth Troll - This card isn't really good in EDH
- Marrow Chomper - Green has better lifegain options, but life is not that important, you should scare away your opponents with giant creatures, so they dont attack you :)
- Mycoloth - Can be good in casual pools, but if you sacrifice your tokens to him and he eats a Path to Exile, you're in a very bad spot
- Pathbreaker Ibex - Craterhoof Behemoth
- Polluted Dead - Just nope.
- Reclamation Sage - If you want cards that kill themselves, there's Sylvok Replica and even Caustic Caterpillar
- Satyr Wayfinder - There are better ramp options
- Skullwinder - Why would you give anything to your opponents, when there is Reclaim, Restock and Noxious Revival?
- Spore Frog - While this can be useful in casual pods, it's always better to kill them before they can damage you :)
- Viridian Emissary - Look up to the Deathrite Shaman comment
- Wood Elves - If you plan on buying Overgrown Tomb it can stay, otherwise any of the Deathrite replacements or even Farhaven Elf is better.
From artifacts I'd toss:
- Thought Vessel - Reliquary Tower also does this, no need to duplicate
- Golgari Signet - If you have green, there's always something better than a signet
What should be instantly binned: (Get the pun?:D)
- Gaze of the Gorgon
- Golgari Charm - To protect your creatures, there are other options available, think Asceticism
- Grisly Salvage - If you wanna dig on a spell, try Hoarder's Greed or Dregs of Sorrow
- Tribute to the Wild - Since your general is all about reanimating creatures, keep this effect on a creature
What is this sorcery?:
- Barter in Blood - Black has plenty of removal that hurts your opponents more than you, In Garruk's Wake for example.
- Death Frenzy - Infest effects are generally bad in EDH
- Dread Summons - This card can be dangerous, as reanimation is popular in EDH, either be ready to purge your opponent's graveyards or bin it.
- Mulch - The effect is too weak
- Overwhelming Stampede - I prefer this effect on small Garruk
- Primal Growth - I would replace it with Far Wanderings, since it's all about graveyard sheaningans
- Sadistic Sacrament - Since you're gonna sac alot, try Bitter Ordeal
- Victimize - You already reanimate your graveyard, try stealing something from your opponents' (Rise from the Grave, Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead)
Now, for the replacements:
What I love about B/G decks, is the powerful package that Crop Rotation brings in: Mortuary Mire for returning a creature in a pinch, Glacial Chasm for protection, Blighted Fen for an edict, Bojuka Bog for instant graveyard purge to that pesky Mer... reanimator player and some other options.
And If you didn't fall asleep, don't forget the staples:
Tooth and Nail for instawins, Solemn Simulacrum for a birthing pod chain element and good value, Cauldron of Souls because in this deck, it's gonna be disgusting. Another good pod target would be Phyrexian Delver.
Remember to keep a few options for each CMC in the pod chain.