|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Born of the Gods (BNG)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Archetype of Endurance
Enchantment Creature — Boar
Creatures you control have hexproof.
Creatures your opponents control lose hexproof and can't have or gain hexproof.
Archetype of Endurance Discussion
1 week ago
@ClockworkSwordfish: This leaves us w/ one more cut. Ironically, I do have several candidates.
A: Clever Impersonator : This could work as it affect nonland permanents. That said, this is either Too good, or Too "Board hates you, & will target you all against you." Where would you hide?
B: One of the 2 Licids: Turning them into Auras is great, forcing one to equip to an Indestructible Creature so nobody can mess w/ you, in addition to one that thieves an opposing creature. We have Archetype of Endurance here so the only thing that could save such a target is Shroud; & that's an endangered species right now. I'm unsure about cutting the salt for this...
C: Stratus Dancer : Even less limited than Voidmage Apprentice ; & that can at least counter any target spell. This one is extremely limited to just Nonpermanents as a whole. Even if this deck can incorporate a way to flip one Morph up, activate their ability, & go back face down, this is regardless a Creature/Land only Deck. It would have to have a way to do something that's either a creature, a land, & nothing outside that. PURELY IMPOSSIBBLE.
I think I might already have decided, but I'd like an opinion from another.
3 weeks ago
You are probably missing the Top End token producers like Avenger of Zendikar or Tendershoot Dryad . Another alternative is Mycoloth to get a ton of tokens on the field. Another thing would be to include stuff that ends the game in one swing. You have Ojutai that grows bigger and bigger why not include a Overwhelming Stampede to give all your tokens his power and toughness and trample. Another thing would be Beastmaster Ascension or End-Raze Forerunners . A more hated variant of this would be Triumph of the Hordes .
Protection is also needed so i would include Heroic Intervention Rootborn Defenses that save your board the most scary thing for a token deck: Board Wipes. Asceticism and Privileged Position saves you spot removal trouble. If you don't like enchantments Archetype of Endurance is an alternative.
Card Draw should also not be neglected. I would play around your commanders and your win conditions. Ojutai gets huge pretty quickly so stuff like Rishkar's Expertise and Soul's Majesty or Garruk, Primal Hunter should give you the explosiveness to draw into your win conditions. Another thing to consider would be Huatli, Radiant Champion , easily the best Planeswalker you can put into a token deck and draws you cards for every creature that enters the battlefield. Exactly what we want for deck like this.
I also would cut Helm of the Host and rather play Bramble Sovereign cause helm is really scary and fragile too. You can easily waste 2 turns paying 9 mana only for your creature you want to equip it too being destroyed. Another thing i see is Entreat the Angels as a problem. It is a super good card but you have not much top of the library manipulation so i would cut it for Divine Visitation , does exactly what you want create 4/4 angels for every token you make. Also another thing to include and that is easily on of the best win condition if it hits turn 2 is Luminarch Ascension .
That's all for now from me, if you have any more questions just hit me up with them!
1 month ago
If you are having issues with blue and control matchups you could include Archetype of Endurance , Boseiju, Who Shelters All , and Autumn's Veil . You should also throw in a Thespian's Stage to combo with your Dark Depths .
2 months ago
2 months ago
We gave your request a lot of thought. Our main objective was to keep the spirit of the deck the same. So we decided to try and find replacements for the more expensive cards while keeping the original thought of the replaced cards alive. Naturally this would mean we would end up with cards that are either slightly less effective at what the expensive cards do, or they have a higher CMC, or both.
Almost all replacements we have chosen cost below 1 dollar. Some of the replaced cards are cards we do not own, so we decided not to post a new deck as we only do so when we own all the cards in it. So, here is a list of the replacements we would make in order to turn this into a less expensive deck:
- Forest for all the non-basic lands
- Hermit of the Natterknolls Flip for Beast Whisperer
- Ivy Lane Denizen for Bloodspore Thrinax
- End-Raze Forerunners for Craterhoof Behemoth
- Wirewood Channeler for Elvish Archdruid
- Skullwinder for Eternal Witness
- Rushwood Herbalist for Ezuri, Renegade Leader
- Evolutionary Leap for Fauna Shaman
- Elfhame Druid for Fyndhorn Elves
- Deadly Recluse for Hornet Queen
- Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen for Joraga Warcaller
- Ant Queen for Mycoloth
- Nullmage Advocate for Nullmage Shepherd
- Centaur Rootcaster for Oracle of Mul Daya
- Thunderfoot Baloth for Pathbreaker Ibex
- Mul Daya Channelers for Priest of Titania
- Initiate's Companion for Quirion Ranger
- Runic Armasaur for Regal Force
- Yavimaya Elder for Sakura-Tribe Elder
- Llanowar Scout for Sakura-Tribe Scout
- Deathgorge Scavenger for Scavenging Ooze
- Fyndhorn Brownie for Scryb Ranger
- Rampaging Baloths for Seedborn Muse (we know, not quite the same functions)
- Archetype of Endurance for Asceticism
- Overrun for Beastmaster Ascension
- Abundance for Burgeoning / Exploration
- Beast Within for Song of the Dryads
- Nature's Claim for Krosan Grip
- Vitalize for Benefactor's Draught
- Shared Summons for Green Sun's Zenith / Genesis Wave
- Mask of Avacyn for Lightning Greaves / Swiftfoot Boots
- Sol Ring for Worn Powerstone
We were not able to find suitable replacements (i.e.: cards that would do the same thing but be slightly less effective at it) for the following cards:
- Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
- Concordant Crossroads
- Mirri's Guile
- Quest for Renewal
- Heroic Intervention
- Worldly Tutor
- Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Umbral Mantle
So if you have any suggestions for these, please let us know. For now, we hope we helped you a bit to make a cheaper version of our deck. Have fun brewing it!
Mrs. and Mr. NV_1980
2 months ago
Actually, I will give a few thoughts.
The Immortal Sun - What does this do for your deck or game plan? It tries to do a lot but instead only does a little of a bunch of things for too high of a cost.
Decimate - Zacama, Primal Calamity should take care of most of your artifact and enchantment destruction on his own, making this redundant, but this card also comes with the unfortunate problem that you can ONLY cast it if you have viable creature, artifact, enchantment, AND land targets. If you are missing any one of the 4 it's a dead card, and if one of those 4 is your own then you're forced to destroy that. Now, if you find that you really need more artifact and enchantment hate look into cards like Krosan Grip or Force of Vigor .
Savage Stomp - Why would you risk your creatures with this? If you are able to target them then you already have removal in the form of Path to Exile or Swords to Plowshares , not to mention Zacama, Primal Calamity ability to deal damage to creatures. If your opponent has a combat trick then you just lost your creature. It's a gimmicky card and I think there are better things you can do with the card slot in your deck. For example, Aggravated Assault or Reckless Assault will give you multiple combats which will really let you bring the full power of your dinosaurs to bear without giving your opponents time to recover.
Priest of the Wakening Sun - Why? If you need a fetch then run cards like Worldly Tutor , Finale of Devastation or Chord of Calling . If you need lifegain there are plenty of better sources. This just reveals cards in your hand to your opponents, gains a tiny bit of life, and kills an entire turn with your expensive fetch.
Atzocan Seer - Skip the returning Dinosaurs. You're a creature deck, and a big one at that. Just focus on constantly dropping big creatures and hitting your opponent, putting so much pressure on them that they don't have time to worry about strategy. Aggro decks don't really worry about their graveyard. As for the mana, you'd be far better served with Birds of Paradise or Sylvan Caryatid , or if you go non-budget then Bloom Tender .
Gigantosaurus - I'm honestly really not a fan of anything that costs 5 of the same color. This pretty much kills anything else you were planning on doing on your turn, which is absolutely not what you want to have happen. Sure it's a 10/10, but it's really not worth that downside, especially without trample. Look at Carnage Tyrant for a fantastic alternative.
Kinjalli's Sunwing - This draws unnecessary hate and really doesn't help your game out that much. You have a deck of giant dinosaurs. This shouldn't be an issue. If you really feel you need it then look into Authority of the Consuls or Urabrask the Hidden instead.
Runic Armasaur - Too specific and unreliable. There are better uses for the card slot.
Sakura-Tribe Elder - While a good card, your deck can't take full advantage of this and would be better off running land fetches like Tempt with Discovery , Nature's Lore , or Skyshroud Claim , all of which are better and come out untapped.
Samut, Voice of Dissent - Why in heaven's name are you running this? This card is awful? If it's for the haste then there are tons of better cards. Look at Fervor , Rhythm of the Wild , or Fires of Yavimaya . Even Urabrask the Hidden would be a better way to spend 5 mana. Is it for the untap effect? There are still much better options such as Seedborn Muse . This card burns 5 mana for no good reason. No. Just no.
Shalai, Voice of Plenty - Meh. I'd run Leyline of Sanctity or Privileged Position instead. Asceticism , Archetype of Endurance , and Sterling Grove are other good options. All are harder to hit and kill. It's nice but overall i'd run the alternatives instead.
Shifting Ceratops - Doesn't do enough. It's nice but not good enough overall.
Territorial Hammerskull - While not inherently bad, it's also just "meh". It's okay. I'd rather have cards that give your creatures trample and just march your dinosaurs through your opponents, and/or bigger and better creatures.
Jaya, Venerated Firemage - Why? This is a waste of a good slot. Run Warstorm Surge and get a far better effect than her. If you want more damage then run Dictate of the Twin Gods . She's really not worth it.
Samut, Tyrant Smasher - This card is awful. Run any, and I mean any haste enabler instead. Her negative is awful and her passive is better on any other card. Honestly, run Xenagos, God of Revels . He's amazing, gives haste, doubles a creature's power, and add's their power to their toughness.
Temple of the False God - I've taken this out of most, if not all, of my decks by now. It's not great honestly. It seems really good, but if you get it early game then it's a dead land that stares up into you and slowly seeps the joy out of your soul, and if you get it late game then it's just an extra mana that really doesn't matter to you.
3 months ago
Mayael the Anima was included as an homage to my original deck and I thought she might be a decent back up plan if Atla Palani, Nest Tender was shut down. However, I agree that her activation cost is probably too costly, and I haven't built the deck with enough 5+ power creatures to make her hit consistently.
Call of the Wild is an interesting card, but I think it runs into consistency issues without the addition of more top deck manipulation. Plus I've been noticing with some early testing that I don't need much more than Atla to get things going.
Evolutionary Leap and High Market are definitely solid suggestions that I'll have to consider for this deck. Right now I think I'll replace Mayael with one of Selfless Spirit , Riftsweeper , or Remorseful Cleric . They are all good early creatures with powerful utility abilities.
3 months ago
Hey there, I saw your comment on my Tana/Tymna deck, I'm glad you liked it.
This deck is interesting! It seems like you struck a good balance with counters and tokens. I'll give some tips and suggestions based on what I see here. Before I start though, I need to know how you are using your tokens. Are they used more for beating down or more for value? I'll make more suggestions once you tell me. All the suggestions I make are just my opinion, take it however you like.
Cards I would suggest finding room for:
- Tendershoot Dryad It's a fantastic token generator, and the Ascend ability on it is no joke.
- Asceticism and Heroic Intervention I noticed there is a lack of protection for your board. Something I learned, especially recently, is that our token generators and any other value creatures need to be protected. Token decks have a hard time coming back if they get wiped or targeted down before they can do anything, so these are must haves in my opinion. Archetype of Endurance is a good budget replacement for Asceticism, though very high in cmc.
- Pitiless Plunderer This adds a ton of value for sacrificing your own creatures. It has come in clutch for me more times than I could count. Also it works really well with Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest since it counts sacrificing any permanents!
- Death's Presence Could also be interesting to use with Reyhan, or even Tana. It's like Kresh the Bloodbraided 's ability but for creatures you control, although the cmc is a bit high.
- Parallel Lives Would also be good for extra token generation.
- Replace Fungal Plots with Necrogenesis Card draw is nice, but these cards can exile from other people's graveyards. Great card for controlling any reanimator/graveyard shenanigans decks. You seem to have a lot of card draw already.
- Yawgmoth, Thran Physician He has a sacrifice outlet, card draw, and a proliferate function, all in one card! He's pretty insane for a deck like yours that generates counters and sacrifice creatures for stuff.
Possible Problem cards:
- Concordant Crossroads A great card, as a wincon. It's a very dangerous card to play if you give your opponents haste too and take more advantage of it than you can. If you can pull it off without your opponents taking too much advantage of it, then more power to you!
- Utopia Mycon I used to run this card too, but it only works for saprolings which became a bit problematic when I had other tokens that weren't saprolings. However you are running Tana as a commander, so it may alleviate the problem I had with it.
- Citanul Hierophants Seems a bit redundant with Cryptolith Rite , but that's just me. There could be other creatures more worth playing for equal or less cmc, like Grismold, the Dreadsower from the new Commander Set! Definitely putting it in my Kresh deck.
- Greater Good It's a very good card if you're getting good draws from killing large creatures. I'm not sure how often you are getting creatures with 4 or more power that isn't your own commander.
- Crop Rotation It's only really good if your playing high power lands like Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Cabal Coffers or Gaea's Cradle . If you're looking to fix mana, I would add Sakura-Tribe Elder Cultivate and/or Kodama's Reach
So far this what I have as far suggestions go. Let me know what you think!
Archetype of Endurance occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%