Creature — Boar Beast
Cycling *(, Discard this card: Draw a card.) *
When you cycle Krosan Tusker, you may search your library for a basic land card, reveal that card, and put it into your hand. If you do, shuffle your library. (Do this before you draw.)
|Want (2)||SinisterSam , xxxxxxxxxZombiexxxxxxxxx|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Krosan Tusker occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Krosan Tusker Discussion
3 weeks ago
1: There are many weaker card choices. Not having access (or getting over time) is obviously apart of the collection-building aspect of the game; but your decks should avoid the weak cards that are not on theme. Focus on including cards that actively help or are benefited by your theme of heavy ramp with a secondary set of heavy draw. Cards such as Fblthp, Gurmag Drowner, Silumgar Sorcerer, and jace, are primary examples.
2: Finding cards that fit both themes: draw and ramp, is relatively easy and will increase the adaptability and efficiency of the deck. Commander's Sphere is the obvious example currently in the deck. Potential additions (that you should be able to more easily acquire) include Edge of Autumn, Explore, Krosan Tusker, and Seer's Sundial. Harder to get pieces would be Kiora, the Crashing Wave, Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait.
4: Having lots of mana is only useful it's spent casting scary game-winning threats. Threats you may not be aware of that might be fun for you to playtest: Soramaro, First to Dream, Prime Speaker Zegana, and Clockwork Dragon. The first and last cards specifically benefit from the amount of colorless mana you will generate with your general.
1 month ago
Thanks! I had considered Survival of the Fittest, but its a bit expensive, my combo cards aren't creatures, I don't play a lot of creatures, and most of my answers are not creatures. I might add it if I ever get my hands on one or need it or it becomes good with the combo. I really like Slice and Dice because a friend plays prosh, so its good there. I'm not sure about Krosan Tusker but I'll drop a land for it and throw the deck in the playtester. Daedalus19876
1 month ago
I love where you're going with this list, the focus on Transmute is really clever. Have you considered running Survival of the Fittest as another repeatable discard-then-recur option? :D You could potentially also make Krosan Tusker very good, as a repeatable cantripping land-tutor, or Slice and Dice to wipe away mana dorks/tokens (depending on your meta).
3 months ago
Thanks Profet93 :). I like your questions! They makes me reconsider card assessments formed long ago. Let’s dig into our new ones:
- Yavimaya Hollow: a card I like and play in other decks. I also considered it for this deck several times. However, every time I do I feel it just does not belong in this deck. I think the reason why I feel that way is because it’s not the creatures that need protecting most of the time (or that I don’t want to focus on protecting them). Opponents could kill Mina and Denn, Wildborn sure. But they are just an enabler for the deck. Not a key piece, like in decks where I do run Hollow. The deck does not really have many vital pieces like that. On certain moments, yes, hollow will save that one creature you needed for the explosive play, so I do agree it would be a useful include. I just don’t think it is necessary or used very often. A bit like Kessig Wolf Run maybe. To be honest, the threshold of getting one in FOIL also contributes to a feeling of resistance nowadays. However, I can totally see anyone swapping out Spikefield Hazard for Yavimaya Hollow if they feel differently. It might be a good idea to test this one again just to see what happens.
- If I’d cut Retreat to Kazandu now - which I won’t ;) - I’d probably go for another 2-mana ramp piece or put Krosan Tusker back in. I did just put in Rampant Growth in the last update, so I’m already up a ramp piece (5 now) to skip a turn for M&D. Sol Ring is a no go for me because of the total lack of synergy. Life from the Loam was cut in the last update for Ancient Greenwarden and the deck does not need a 4th effect like that I think. Eternal Witness is nice to have, especially with all the green creature tutors, so that is also a valid choice. Has creeped up on my maybe list rank recently because of Valakut Exploration. Depending on your meta, you can also consider something like Vexing Shusher for the spot.
- Ancient Tomb: I have a similar opinion on this land compared to hollow and kessig wolf run. They all provide a little something for the deck, but creating a spot for them is just terrible. Apart from Spikefield Hazard there are no lands I am willing to cut atm. Blast Zone has been a strong answer on a land so far that’s easily found. Khalni Garden has a lot of applications and synergy, Radiant Fountain I like for the same reasons as Retreat to Kazandu. Cryptic Caves and Temple of Abandon get you out of dead situations, which I value more than the benefits of the competition. Most other lands feel like they are kind of set in stone now.
4 months ago
- If I would ever want to run Nissa, Vital Force, I would probably either cut a card with a similar role or a similar CMC. Garruk, Primal Hunter comes to mind as a slot. Krosan Tusker or Tendershoot Dryad might also be contenders.
- To my knowledge there is no other land in the game that allows you to bounce and play it multiple times to ramp like crazy. Of course you can do something a bit similar with Gruul Turf and Amulet of Vigor like in amulet-bloom decks, but Amulet of Vigor does not sit in the command zone. Growing Rites of Itlimoc Flip is similar to Cradle, but cannot be bounced and played in the same way. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx comes ti mind, but that also requires 2 mana to activate, so it is much harder to abuse (and does not synergize with landfall token makers like Field of the Dead). So, I am not aware of a feasible alternative to Gaea's Cradle if you want to combo it with Mina and Denn, Wildborn for more value. Growing rites is probably your best option.
6 months ago
Recommended additions and reasoning:
Mirari's Wake, Mana Reflection: These come at cheaper mana costs than your Zendikar Resurgent. Drawing a card on the Resurgent is good, but not good enough, since you have to cast the creature. While you likely will have enough mana to do so, it is going to be less common than cheating out the creatures. Additionally, Mana Reflection will work with all permanents, not just land. So your creature and artifact mana will double as well.
Exploration, Oracle of Mul Daya, Bloom Tender: all phenomenal sources of ramp. Highly recommend Oracle for the ability to remove land fromt he top of your deck, allowing you to dig that one card deeper... where you will find...
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth: Even if you aren't casting Kozi, you get a massive beater with Annihilator, and as a huge bonus, he helps recycle your graveyard in the event of a board wipe. Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Gaea's Cradle: You run a ton of green permanents, and if you take the Mana Reflections from earlier, you double the number of green you get from it. It is a really cool way to generate a ton of mana super quickly. about the Cradle, creature heavy decks can always benefit from it, and again... Mana Reflections doubles it.
Warstorm Surge, Stalking Vengeance: 2 enchantments that give you free damage that you can use as removal for opponent's creatures or nukes to the face. Additionally, fun interaction with the surge and the Blightsteel Colossus I also recommend, the Surge says the creature deals the damage... unblockable 11 infect shoots someone out of the game.
Panharmonicon: In a deck with a ton of creature based ETB effects, this artifact is a must. With the Surge from earlier out, now you get 2 of those triggers.... Eternal Witness: Phenomenal recursion, and can save you by getting back something you need from the graveyard.
Genesis Wave: Now that we have you pumping mana out like a pro, Genesis Wave for 40, and watch as a large amount of unnecessarily large creatures enter the battlefield and turn them sideways because you have...
Urabrask the Hidden: Yeah that's right, get that haste, and if someone tries to flash in a blocker it's useless.
Avacyn, Angel of Hope, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Privileged Position, Vigor: Because nothing says "fun" like having a boardstate that is hard to remove. Additionally, damage to your creatures makes them bigger. Thank you, Vigor.
Craterhoof Behemoth: You play this with 10+ creatures on the board, and you have an automatic 100 damage added to your total.
Tooth and Nail, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Zealous Conscripts: This is an infinite combo as well as the tutor to get it. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts, use the new copy's trigger to target Kiki, untap Kiki. Tap Kiki, copy the conscripts... Create infinite Zealous Conscripts to attack everyone for yes damage.
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight: Amazing for both extra damage and protection.
Vedalken Orrery: Because playing on your opponent's turn is funny. And your Seedborn Muse really gets to put in work in a 4 player game, on top of the Mayael useage.
Vexing Shusher: Because nobody likes blue. This card is a big middle finger to blue.
Lurking Predators: So your opponent wants to cast things? Maybe you get a free creature for it. Can be quite useful.
Recommended cuts and the reasoning:
Desolation Twin,Krosan Tusker: They don't do enough to better your boardstate in my opinion. Desolation Twin is a 10/10 sure, but other than that, nothing. Chances are, you won't be casting it that much to get the second 10/10 anyways. The Tuskar only benefits you if you cycle it, otherwise it is just a mediocre creature. Additionally, cycling it only gets a basic land, of which you are running very few. This is not a criticism of your land base. I didn't want to touch it too much because my own landbase is significantly more expensive.
Pathbreaker Wurm, Tectonic Hellion, Tyrant of Discord: These guys are all decent, but the Pathbreaker only helps one other creature. The Hellion is cool, but what if you have the most lands? You aren't running Crucible of Worlds, but your opponents might be. the Tyrant is more of a personal preference, I don't like it because of it's random factor.
Rith's Grove: It is a bounce land, without the benefit of tapping for 2 mana like the dual color bounce lands. Not worth running in my opinion.
Pure / Simple: This card is too restrictive. Running the Krosan Grip, Swords to Plowshares, and Path to Exile are all better options. They don't force you to choose multicolor creature, or equipment or aura. They just remove a target.
Tragic Arrogance: I love boardwipes as much as the next guy, but this hits you just as hard as your opponents, and instead of using Invincibility to get through it, you have to sacrifice. Wrath of God would be a much better option in my opinion.
Rith's Charm: To me it doesn't do enough by itself to warrant keeping. You have little to no ways of getting it back or making more uses of it, so it is a 1 shot item. I'm sure by now you have noticed I prefer things that have multiple and recurring uses.
Overall, I love it. I love Mayael, and she has been my strongest and favorite deck for a very long time (2012). My current version relies very little on her ability, because I played with a bunch of rather rude people that played Pithing Needle and named her all the time. It was not fun, but building my deck to use her ability as an option, instead of a strategy, changed the way I used her, meaning that the needle no longer leaves my deck dead in the water.
Please keep in mind that my recommendations are just that. if that Gigantosaurus doesn't do anything, but you like it because it's a dinosaur, and you don't want to cut it, you do not have to. I unfortunately gave up all my dreams of having cards I like for flavor, aesthetics, etc, because I decided to build my deck to compete and even stomp on combo and control decks. I have no room for cards that don't serve to better my boardstate as a whole.
Final Note: I will be more than happy to provide further insight and feedback if you have any other questions.
6 months ago
Here's my take on what to cut:
Elvish Aberration: 6 mana is a lot just to ramp. Cycling is nice, but doesn't directly Ramp.
Ghitu Chronicler: Again, expensive. There are much better things to do with our 6-mana
Krosan Tusker: Same as before. Expensive for what it is, doesn't directly ramp.
Magus of the Candelabra: Unless we can double mana somehow, doesn't actually ramp.
Nessian Demolok: Can be useful, but I've found tribute usually gets paid with these cards since creatures are pretty easy to deal with.
Oblivion Sower: Fun card, but just doesn't fit the deck
Treasonous Ogre: Just seems really slow to me
Valley Rannet: Same reasons as the tusker
Void Attendant: Again, just doesn't fit with the deck
Vessel of Volatility: Slow, and I honestly prefer my ramp to be repeatable
Land. I usually stick to around 36, I'd go down to there and test to see if it works out all right (Maybe 1 or 2 more since you seem to have a good amount of lands that can be sacrificed).
The Chain Veil: Not exactly useful here. You have some Planeswalkers, but not enough to really make it worth it.
Blood Feud: Too expensive for what it does. Green has a lot cheaper options
Processor Assault: Good value for your mana, but how often does exile come up in your games?
Volcanic Vision: Has potential, but I'm not really seeing a whole lot of spells that make it great.
Yawning Fissure: Doesn't fit strategy of the deck
Fiery Fall: Expensive.
These are just my thoughts, hope it helped!
(Also, Pyromancer's Goggles seems good here.)
7 months ago
Replace Nature's Lore for Sakura-Tribe Elder, bring at least 1x Krosan Tusker, cut at least 3x Wretched Gryff and 2x Tangle Golem for 2/3x Fierce Empath at least 1X Ulamog's Crusher and some mainboard Pulse of Murasa to retrieve STE and depletion lands, if you pack 4x pulses, you'll probably won't need the food lands, which can slow you down. Nissa's Pilgrimage and Arboreal Grazer are some cards to consider too, along Land Grant. Nissas nets you 3 cards, grazer ramps and stops aggro for a while and land grant is free. Chimeras seem a tad fragile,maybe you can use something like Blastoderm which is also retrievable with Pulse.