Put any number of target creature cards from your graveyard on top of your library.
Draw a card.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Gravepurge occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
1 month ago
I think you'd be better off going far away from mill.
A lot of newer players make the mistake of thinking "wow, it's a way to win that denies my opponent resources". It's not. It's a way to win that actually gives most of your opponents resources.
Even if you're playing casual, if your friend has their own Gravepurge then you just gave them a huge advantage.
However, there's another archetype that you definitely have some of the cards for and the rest is cheap: blue black control.
Try this basic list:
4x Doom Blade
4x Cast Down
4x Crux of Fate
Then add in your Dragonlord and that Liliana as well as some other big fun blue/black cards that win. Not the Abberations tho. The Necromasters will do fine.
Then, I recommend picking up some better untapped fixing and replacing those Refuges with River of Tears.
That list should cost you about $30. I've included budget options for the cards that may be more expensive, but if possible use the first in each line rather than the second.
I think you'll like that list a lot more, and do pretty well with it. With some slight tweaks(mostly replacing Preordain and Ponder with Opt and Serum Visions), it'd be playable in Modern, and, if you're skilled enough, you should be able to pick up some wins and do fairly well.
But that's just me -- if you don't like that direction, that's fine. Mill can be pretty fun sometimes.
1 month ago
Since you're new, I'll give some more general feedback first.
Mill was one of the first decks I ever made myself, as well. Your deck, however, appears to be going in too many different directions. Cards like Consuming Aberration and Mind Funeral care about milling the opponent to death, whereas cards like Gravepurge, Gravedigger, and Grimoire of the Dead care about self-milling. The most effective decks always capitalize on one main strategy. Your deck, however, is trying to do 2 very different things at once: milling the opponent and milling yourself. It's hard enough to mill an opponent's library out completely in the first place, so unless your entire deck focuses on just doing that, you may be killed before you get the job done. By doing multiple things at once, you'll do none of them well.
So my feedback at this point is to decide what direction your deck wants to go. Then it can be improved and fine tuned. At the very least, no matter what you decide to do with your deck, Ghoulcaller's Bell and Elixir of Immortality are just not that good.
1 month ago
Orange+: Thank you for the kudos.
The Minus counter theme is something that grew while going through my collection. I do realize that Ifnir and Carnifex Demon don't target, and that actually is the reason I included them. The deck has two cards that can steal opposing creatures. The first one is Grave Betrayal, which is just ridiculously powerful, but also costs seven mana. The second one is Necroskitter. If I were to target a creature which e.g. Cauldron of Souls, it would die before getting the counter, so Necroskitter wouldn't trigger. The demons can spread the minus counters without targeting, so the next targetting ability will give me control over them. A thing that seems very interesting in this regard is that proliferate doesn't target. I don't yet know what to make of this, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to abuse this...
The auras are meant to be used just as you said. They can protect my creatures when I attach them without an active Horobi. Swiftfoot Boots are especially important here. Protecting either K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth or Magus of the Coffers is crucial. Unhallowed Pact and Unholy Indenture habe a special little place in that regard: They can simply be protection, but enchanting an opposing creature with either before putting out Horobi is another way to steal them.
There are overall three spells like that: Bone Harvest, Forever Young, and Gravepurge. They are somewhat of a combo with Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Bolas's Citadel. Fill my grave with lots of creatures, control a Citadel and have a Merchant in hand or graveyard. Cast one of the three recursion spells, put all the creatures on top (If Gary is in the Grave, put him on the bottom of the creature pile). Cast all the creatures with Citadel, then cast Gary into a crowded board and drain an obscene amount of life. When we have enough mana, Death Denied or Reaping the Graves can do a similar thing.
There is one find in particular that I really like in the deck: I've always wanted a reason to play Skeletal Wurm. Horobi is propably the only deck that can make use of it, and it plus the not so small number of other activated abilities is the reason I included Necrotic Ooze. This can be a very powerful creature that can protect itself from Horobi's influence.
3 months ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Vilis, Broker of Blood
, etc... also from the new set:
(I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
- is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with
, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply
as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary / Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
- even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with
to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate / Animate Dead / Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp .
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation .
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)
3 months ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
5 months ago
I played two, four player games and won the first and almost won the second. Both games were 3 versus 1 since I was quickly the biggest threat. The first game Tidal Barracuda won me the game. The Niv-Mizzet, Parun player let it resolve because it helped him but it also let me cast Rise of the Dark Realms late game after I already milled over 3/4 of my opponents decks and get a ton of creatures for a stupid flashy win.
The second game I continued to mill and get value but just couldn't close out the game, I came close to milling everyone out but I would also have milled myself out before I could get the final player since I drew quit a few cards during the game. The game ended up almost being determined by cards in the library since the player who won only had like 3 cards lefts before he would have decked but he was able to kill the last opponent instead.
What I came to realize is that during the game as my library was dwindling down to almost nothing I began getting increasingly nervous because I was on the verge of milling only myself to death. I don't have a way to do much of anything without cards in my library and I don't have a way to replace my draw to avoid losing to having 0 cards in my library. What would you recommend adding in the deck to help mitigate this? I was thinking of adding Snapcaster Mage and maybe Gravepurge or something that will let me shuffle in select cards to my library. Any help is appreciated.
7 months ago
Forever Young/Gravepurge are both great ways to reanimate any creatures from your graveyard with Bolas's Citadel (even triggering Syr Konrad's ability.
Tortured Existence is in my opinion much better than Phyrexian Reclamation in reanimator orientated decks and is "cheaper" to use. I use it in my Syr Konrad's For the Void as part of the engine, together with Desecrated Tomb (which also makes BLACK tokens for Ayara) + Phyrexian Altar to go infinite.
Songs of the Damned, Crypt of Agadeem, Everglades - are all nice and cheap ramp cards for mono black decks.
Overall, the decklist looks pretty good! :)
7 months ago
Check some Shirei decks, most creatures have just 1 power, so they can sac/reanimate all the time and its pretty sick :)
Village Rites is better version of Altar's Reap
Black Market can be very good, especially if you can go crazy and put tons of counters on it.. or it just eats removal instead of some more important card in your deck.
Tortured Existence - absolutely great creature retrieval just for and can go crazy with your Desecrated Tomb. I use it in combination of Phyrexian Altar as infinite etb/etg engine. Bitter Ordeal to exile everyone's library; Emergence Zone to make it instant speed if needed.
Hell's Caretaker can be fairly good reanimator for Shirei aswell.
Crypt of Agadeem,Dark Ritual,Bubbling Muck,Songs of the Damned are cheap for mana ramp.
Mutilate is just board version of Defile, might aswell use both?
Altar of the Brood easy mill just for that triggers upon any permanent you play.
Insidious Dreams - to cast your combos from top of your library if you manage to keep Bolas's Citadel on board. Forever Young/Gravepurge for casting creatures from your graveyard (top of your library with Bolas's Citadel).
Blanket of Night if you get more non-swamp lands and you're on low budget. Its just cheaper enchantment version of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth.
Call the Bloodline could be easy way to get creatures into your graveyard, get some sacrifice dork and reanimate them later.
Priest of Forgotten Gods this pretty lady could be a nice addition to Shirei aswell, if you get some cards that make sacrifice dorks/etc. blahblah