Secrets of the Golden City
Ascend (If you control ten or more permanents, you get the city's blessing for the rest of the game.)
Draw two cards. If you have the city's blessing, draw three cards instead.
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Common|
|Rivals of Ixalan (RIX)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Secrets of the Golden City occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%
Secrets of the Golden City Discussion
3 months ago
In my experience, Lotus Petal, Miscalculate, and Brainstorm are really underwhelming in this format. The conditions that make them great cards in other formats just aren't present in PDH most of the time.
Doublestrike spells are good enough that I'd consider running more of them, like Uncaged Fury.
5 months ago
5 months ago
Saw this got a recent comment so I thought I'd take another look.
The only real place for improvement here I can see here is that it's up at 72-cards. I haven't played the deck so I'm not sure I can accurately assess ALL of which cards are your key win condition(s), but there's some things that do stand out to me that you could adjust to trim it down (and increase the chance/speed of getting your key cards out):
- Tower Defense This could trim down to x2 or x3, and possibly even get moved out & into the Sideboard unless you know you're going up against a Flying deck.
- Secrets of the Golden City I'd drop this completely since you can get a lot of card draw out of Arcades, the Strategist and all the cheap Defender Creatures (not to mention mana generators) you have in this build.
- Tangle Angler It's hard for me to suggest removing him completely even though he doesn't really fit -- just because I love surprising people with it in Casual/Legacy sometimes myself. I'd definitely drop him down from a 4x-copy by losing a copy or two given his high mana cost, though (compared to the rest of your creatures).
- Commune with Nature You could probably get away with dropping a copy or two of this as well. If you can increase your chance of getting Arcades in play, then this becomes pretty much moot.
In any case, I really (really!) like what you've done with this deck. Nice job!
6 months ago
11 months ago
I know you're looking for non-wheel card draw. I don't love cantrips in EDH unless there is a number-of-spells-matters effect in play but they can smooth out a deck a bit. Ponder , Preordain , Portent , Sleight of Hand , Serum Visions , etc. The sweet spot in around 3-5 CMC for me, ideally drawing CMC -1 but there aren't a ton of spells that efficient. I don't love Divination in EDH (2 for 3) but it's the gold-standard in 60-card decks for a quickie hand refill. There are tons of efficient cards like Divination too.
There are a ton of "draw 3, discard 1" for 4 or 5 mana, which are okay. Sift , Trial of Knowledge , and Amass the Components , for example. Many are costed for being commons, which isn't where you wanna be in EDH. There should be plenty of good, efficient cards to draw from though. At the same time, you have a lot of great high-CMC draw, like Consecrated Sphinx and Thought Reflection, so having a few Divination effects might smooth out your draws.
Some suggestions: Concentrate , Windfall , Cathartic Reunion , Plea for Power , Tidings , Nin, the Pain Artist , Finale of Revelation , Mind Spring , Braingeyser , Stroke of Genius , Blue Sun's Zenith , Fact or Fiction , Chart a Course , Ugin's Insight , Treasure Cruise , Dig Through Time , Kumena's Awakening , Fevered Visions , Honden of Seeing Winds , Reverse Engineer , Read the Runes , Precognitive Perception , Distant Memories , Arcane Encyclopedia , Endless Atlas , Trail of Evidence , Theft of Dreams , Borrowing 100,000 Arrows , Nezahal, Primal Tide , Kefnet the Mindful , Cavalier of Gales , Combustible Gearhulk , Thassa, God of the Sea , Shared Discovery , Secrets of the Golden City , Vivisection , Weight of Memory , Recurring Insight , Breakthrough , Niv-Mizzet, Parun , Deep Analysis , Gush , Invoke the Firemind , Expansion / Explosion , Chandra, Flamecaller , Dragon Mage , Wild Guess , Tormenting Voice , Arch of Orazca , Runehorn Hellkite , Conqueror's Galleon Flip, Kraum, Ludevic's Opus , Ludevic, Necro-Alchemist , Commune with Lava .
1 year ago
Hello! Be most welcome to MTG! I wish you the best duels and adventures with this great community!
Now, to the deck!
It looks good, but there is something that I think you should keep on mind. Usually this kind of decks runs out of gas very very quickly. The way to solve that out is by “card draw” spells, of those you have none. I suggest any combination of:
- I would replace Gate Colossus , because although it is a good creature with good synergy with the gates, it is very slow. You need speed and control on this deck to get the most of it. What about Crackling Drake – Enigma Drake – Arclight Phoenix in this slot?
- I would replace Pteramander for Guttersnipe or maybe more burn spells like Skewer the Critics .
Hope this helps!
Have a wonderful day! <3
1 year ago
Secrets of the Golden City gets you 3 most of the time
1 year ago
+1 for an interesting take on PDH mill.
1) If you're a fan of Infinite Combos, here's one for you:
- Archaeomancer or Salvager of Secrets or Scrivener + Peregrine Drake + Either of these Blink cards: Ghostly Flicker or Displace
- With both the Wizard and Drake in play, cast Flicker or Displace to blink them.
- Return the blink card using Wizard's ETB trigger. Rinse and repeat to generate infinite mana.
- Next blink the Wizard and your Commander as many times as needed to win the game.
You can exclude the Drake if you're not a fan of infinite combos and just blink the Wizard and your Commander once for every spent.
There's also Mnemonic Wall if you need more recursion.
2) Banishing Knack - Redundancy for Retraction Helix.
4) Temporal Fissure - Pauper's Cyclonic Rift since PDH games usually last longer and it is common for us to have 10 lands/mana sources out. You can easily play and bounce Drake 5 times and cast this for massive bounce shenanigans.
5) I'd advise against playing cards like Thought Scour as a once-off effect to mill 2 cards ain't impactful in EDH. If you're playing it for the card draw, there're plenty of better options in at the pauper level: