Creature — Illusion
Jace's Phantasm gets +4/+4 as long as an opponent has ten or more cards in his or her graveyard.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Jace's Phantasm Discussion
1 day ago
Your deck is a bit unfocused to be playing a mill strategy, stealing creature doesn't help you for example. In a mono blue mill deck I'd expect:
- 4x Hedron Crab, go to creature for mill, since you want to play at least 1 land every turn. To back it up 2x Drowner Initiate, you will be casting blue spells.
- 4x Tome Scour, mill 5 for , its a good efficient spell.
- 4x Sanity Grinding, your mono blue, so this mills a fair bit normally.
- 4x Archive Trap, most modern decks use fetches or tutors, mill 13 for . To back it up 2x Trapmaker's Snare
- Either Altar of the Brood or Mindcrank depending on how creature based you want the deck to be.
- Either Tormod's Crypt or Relic of Progenitus to exile the milled cards, 2x main-decked and 2x in the sideboard.
Aside from this, if you are going creature based, both Jace's Phantasm and Nightveil Specter are worth looking at. If you want to maximise the effectiveness of Hedron Crab (and you do) then Evolving Wilds or Terramorphic Expanse are cheap ways to get two triggers.
6 days ago
Wurmlover Thanks, that's a good idea! I was debating it because it was a playset in my original UB Mill brew. Trying to think of what I could cut for him. He could come in for Lingering Souls. I guess I opted for that for more board state flyers for blocking, even though they're always gonna be 1/1's. Then again, they cost more than Jace's Phantasm. I'll playtest switching either out for each other.
6 days ago
1 week ago
Hi TheSurgeon, first of all ty for your input, always appreciate it. So let me share my thoughts to it:
- I'll keep Mind Grind at this point until I find time to really test this deck in different games. Sure it is a costly card, but playable from turn 3 on. I just like the idea that the card grows on potential as the game goes on. Had a blue deck with Mind Sculpt, Hedron Crab and aaaall the other usual suspects, truth is: these cards just bore me out atm, so I'm eager to try a different approach.
- Consuming Aberration will be cut for some other creatures you pointed out
- Considering Undercity Informer you just missed the synergy with Bitterblossom, I guess? :D But Wight of Precinct Six sure will make its way in, Jace's Phantasm too. I think this will be the new creature base I'm going with.
Looking forward to your opinion after some adaptions ;)
1 week ago
Why: You should never use an mill spell. The U/B mana that the spell actually costs could do 8 cards with Breaking and leave you mana open so you don't get face-raped next turn. Or Mind Sculpt, which does 7 cards for a less picky mana cost. Mathematically speaking, Grind is clearly a poor choice in mill cards.
As for Aberration, the card costs 5 to even play! Then you have to wait a turn to use him? If you're still alive with a mill deck come turn 5, you better use the turn to clean up quick! Spending 5 mana.that could be used for 2 Glimpse and still hold a mana open for a Fatal Push, or Visions, is foolish.
Let's talk about Undercity Informer. This guy costs 3, and the only other 6(!) creatures to sac cost >3. At this point of the game, you either have to mill or play creatures? Uh, This shouldn't be a hard decision for a "Mill.Deck. " Manic Scribe at least does something when he ETB. He costs less, can chump block better than Informer, and will do more milling over the course of the game. Or even Wight of Precinct Six if you're looking for an alt-wincon.
I like Circu for casual, but he is just too slow for Modern. Try some creatures that synergies with your archetype a little better. Jace's Phantasm, is a great alt-wincon. A turn 2 5/5 flyer is dangerous!
Hedron Crab- because, duh.
Running 22 lands in a deck with a cmc of (what should be) ~1.5 makes drawing another land worth it. And with 4x Deltas in here, there's no argument against this pretty little one-drop.
This deck has potential and looks good; but could be sped up and tougher where it counts.
Hope this helps!
1 week ago
Check out my Dimir Mill deck on my profile for ideas, it works super well against creature decks and other decks bc of the sideboard. I recommend Jace's Phantasm, Wight of Precinct Six, Consuming Aberration and Lazav, Dimir Mastermind
1 week ago
Pulled out most of the sorceries, replaced with equivalent instants. Also sifted out some of the "themed" cards and replaced them with better versions (i.e. Mana Leak is the best 2 mana hard counter, and there is nothing better).
I spent some time balancing the instants. Instead of straight mill, I added some more counter magic, balanced kill spells (Grisly Spectacle is too costly), added Thought Scour for the cheap draw + mill and put in Rush of Vitality to make sure Consuming Aberration sticks around to make people's lives a living hell.
Still will welcome any and all suggestions.