|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Each player discards his or her hand, then draws cards equal to the greatest number of cards a player discarded in this way.
Cipher (Then you may exile this spell card encoded on a creature you control. Whenever that creature deals combat damage to a player, its controller may cast a copy of the encoded card without paying its mana cost.)
Whispering Madness Discussion
1 week ago
- Ok so for starters your SB (sideboard) is for games after the 1st game, you want cards that help you solve problems in the match up you are against. For example Crypt Incursion is good against decks that want creatures in their graveyard.
- Shelldock Isle is an amazing card
- Fatal Push push is great when you have cards like Arid Mesa . Its one mana kill a dude. In more causel games it doesn't solve with big dudes. Murder is a card I use a lot in casual play just due to the fact it kills anything. Doom Blade is also good, as well as Hero's Downfall . - Visions of Beyond is a 4 of in every competitive mill deck. However, those decks are a lot faster. 1 mana draw a card is like a worse version of blue. If you have issues getting that card's up side cut it for opt.
- Ashiok, Dream Render helps you mill faster so i might consider putting 2 in the main deck.
- Unmoored Ego its a nice card, My only probelm with it is you want them to just deck themselves. Thats 3 mana 4 cards at best. Its not very effective. Mind Funeral mills more, plus its 4 less lands so they wont be able to get land drops as easily which makes casting spells harder.
- Wall of Lost Thoughts helps keep you alive which is always nice.
- Manic Scribe is a great card as well.
- Being its casuel this card is soooooo tilting Consuming Aberration Its so much fun I might even consider running 3. You are a 22-24 land deck which means you should be able to cast it often enough, and when you do it can be game winning.
- Sphinx's Tutelage can also help your deck.
- Traumatize is funny as well. There is a fish that does the same thing i cant rememebr its name.
- Increasing Confusion Reoccurring Nightmare are also fun.
- Another way to approach this deck is cards like Trepanation Blade + Tormented Soul and Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness . It can be a fun deck to play with.
1 month ago
mvas here you have the list. let me know if you want me to explain any of my choices so far. It's a new deck but there have been some stand out cards so far like Paradox Haze , Strionic Resonator , Faerie Artisans , and Whispering Madness .
1 month ago
(The goal was to make The Mimeoplasm as big as possible and then sacrifice it to Altar of Dementia ... relatively casual, but Mimeo can get pretty mean... especially with infect.)
Here's a great edh resource: Command Zone Deck Building Template
From your post, it sounds like you don't like Nekusar... but don't worry... nobody does! It's a burn deck and everyone at the table should target the player who's trying to slug everyone at once. It's a pretty weak strategy because it has poor politics and is easily disrupted. Remove Nekusar when he's about to cast a wheel and watch out for Tainted Strike .
Looking at your deck, a few things pop out right away: (1) You need more ramp, (2) better removal, (3) more draw. Focus on getting the engine turning before you're seduced by flashy plays that might work against you. If a card doesn't progress your game plan powerfully and quickly, cut it!!!
2) You have a lot of clunky counterspells. Add in 3-4 board wipes, like Ixidron and Massacre Girl and swap niche and costly interaction for Beast Within , Naturalize , etc. Creatures like Ravenous Chupacabra are great too.
3) Draw!!! You can't play if you don't have cards. There are a lot of ways to draw 7+ cards a turn. Champion of Wits , Fathom Mage , and every version of Windfall ( Whispering Madness , Forgotten Creation ,etc) are killer in this deck.
My favorite card for this deck is Morality Shift . Its not the best, but its what I really want to do.
Building on a budget is a rewarding challenge. Cut cards ruthlessly! Your commander already does what you want to do (...steal and play your opponent's creatures), so try to open up the deck and make it flow. Commander starts as a slow and clunky format, but its broken!
Good luck and +1
2 months ago
2 months ago
Going the pain wheel route is how to best utilize your commanders ability. He goes from a fair Howling Mine to a must answer threat. Wheel of Fortune , Windfall , and Whispering Madness are where you want to be; couple those with Narset, Parter of Veils and you have a soft lock that puts you far ahead and allows you to slow grind everyone to dust.
2 months ago
I am not sure if you actually want to make this competitive or if you were just mentioning that the competitive gauge is silly. I am just going to yeet in assuming the former.
First thing I would do is scrap everything 5 cmc or greater that doesn't almost immediately win me the game. I would cut your creature count by about half if not more. Lastly for cuts, I would put at the very most 33 lands in here (i.e. cut 7 and add in mana rocks like Dimir Signet , Fellwar Stone , and Talisman of Dominance )
As a mill deck, you will want to shut off your opponent's access to their graveyards. Planar Void is my fav for lazav, but Grafdigger's Cage , Nihil Spellbomb , Relic of Progenitus , and Silent Gravestone all really do the trick.
Your counterspell package should probably drop all of the ones greater than 2 cmc and add in Swan Song , Delay , Flusterstorm , Pact of Negation , Mana Drain , Mana Leak , Mental Misstep , Muddle the Mixture , Tale's End , Force of Will .
Tutors and draw are very quick ways to make an okay deck much better. For draw you can have necropotence, Mystic Remora , Rhystic Study , Consecrated Sphinx , Brainstorm , Search for Azcanta Flip, Dark Deal , Wheel and Deal , Whispering Madness , and Windfall . The wheel effects are particularly nice because they bring down your opponent's deck size as well. For tutors ya get Demonic Tutor , Vampiric Tutor , Imperial Seal , Mystical Tutor , Fabricate , Intuition , Merchant Scroll , Whir of Invention .
I would add in artifacts and enchantments that slow your opponents to a point that they can't do much and your counterspells can really devastate them. Null Rod , Cursed Totem , Winter Orb , Static Orb , Trinisphere , Back to Basics , Pithing Needle , Sorcerous Spyglass , Torpor Orb , Nether Void
I hope even if you don't go quite in this direction that this gives you a glimpse into a spikier mindset and can give you some ideas for this and future decks. Cheers!
3 months ago
if you run Invisible Stalker run Whispering Madness with it. and either megrim or lilians's caress and Dark Ritual . turn 1 play an island. turn 2 play a swamp and play dark ritual. giving you 1 blue and 3 black mana. play invisible stalker, and liliana's caress. turn 3 whatever. turn 4 as long as you have 4 lands, play whispering madness and forces hand discard and re-draw. for both sides. (if you go first opponent should still have 4-5 cards in hand) forcing them to discard all 4-5, and taking 10 damage from whispering madness and liliana's caress. cipher to invisible stalker and attack, causing whispering madness to be cast again and lose another 10 life from the discard mechanic of liliana's caress a second time. and usually a win by then. invisible stalker alone on turn 3 should make up for possible discard damage losses if they have 4 or less cards on turn 4, by attacking on turn 3.
5 months ago
Not the author of the primer, but I’d recommend you replace Timetwister with one of the above wheel effects JMan has listed ( Whispering Madness or Winds of Change ). As for the OG Duals, I replaced them with the two missing Painlands to good effect since I don’t have all the fetchlands. If you intend on running all of them, however, adding a Mountain, Snow-Covered Mountain and Snow-Covered Swamp may be a good idea so that your fetches don’t become duds too soon.
Whispering Madness occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%
UBR (Grixis): 0.6%