|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||None|
|Promo Set (000)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Unergrowth — Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of creature cards in your graveyard. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
Necrotic Wound Discussion
9 minutes ago
Glowspore Shaman seems an auto include. Deathsprout ramps but it wont be able to deal with things like planeswalkers and is a bit expensive. I would rather go for Cast Down and/or Vraska's Contempt or if you want to play something even better, that only your deck can run, go for Necrotic Wound its a 1 mana exile any key creature, especially in your deck. Lotleth Giant is cool dont get me wrong but its gonna do 7-10 damage most of the times , so you will need some more aggression in order to get the enemy into lethal range.
i love playing self-mill , check out my deck https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sultai-agrocombo-selfmill/
1 month ago
I'm not a big fan of Necrotic Wound ... it's just too inconsistent for my tastes (e.g., getting stuck with one in hand vs. Humans when they have RIP in play). I'm leaning towards Lightning Axe but also want to try good ol' Path to Exile .
I look forward to hearing how it goes irl! Good luck (and good skill)!
1 month ago
Harbinger is an interesting idea! I did not know about that card. I could see maybe playing one in the main so as to free up a couple slots in the side, or if needing more Evoke-based anti-hate turns out to be important as the meta adjusts. But I don't think fetching a Vengevine to put on top is very strong by itself, and I doubt I'd play two.
I don't like Darkblast, because killing opponent's creatures is bad for our Bridges. Necrotic Wound has been the anti-creature tech of choice. For dredging, Stinkweed is better.
I play only on paper, so for now I am just playing around the kitchen table with proxies, and goldfishing, to practice.
1 month ago
Great comments; thanks so much! Some thoughts ...
- On Necrotic Wound : I found I brought it in often enough, but that it was just too inconsistent for my tastes. E.g., I had one in hand vs. Humans, but they had a RIP on board ... ugh! I've swapped it with Lightning Axe , for now.
- Flamekin Harbinger is MVP in the Mirror. Finds Wispmare when they have a Leyline start, and can grab a Vengevine when they don't.
- I've also been amazed how strong the deck is vs. Surgical Extraction ... I started out totally convinced the deck needed 3-4x Silent Gravestone and now I'm almost positive it doesn't need any :-)
- Neo-Grisel is definitely faster, but it seems MUCH easier to hate out (not necessarily with this deck, but by other decks) so I don't think it's going to be anything but a super-fringe.
- Yeah, Burn is scary. Especially since I will almost certainly have to start with Sulfurous Springs in paper ...
Thanks again, and I'll give your deck a hard look shortly!
1 month ago
As with most Rakdos decks, I advise a reanimating package with Sire Of Insanity as the target. Animate Dead , Reanimate and Necromancy are all rather good when paired with Entomb or Buried Alive . In Rakdos, you’re generally the king of top decks. So embracing it with Sire is typically a good play.
One mistake I find in a lot of EDH decks is the prevalence of one-for-one removal. Cards like Demolish , Roast and Necrotic Wound are alright if you’ve only got one opponent, but in EDH you’re already facing 2x-3x as many cards as you have in your 2-3 opponents. This is why I suggest more efficient spells, like the Ritual of Soot I see you’re already running. Fire Covenant , Ashes to Ashes , By Force , Toxic Deluge / Damnation / Blasphemous Act and Syphon Mind are all good ways to regain card advantage when you’re facing down multiple opponents.
Another thing I suggest is that you run more mana rocks. In any non-green deck, artifact mana is the main form of ramp available. I’ve noticed there’s a tremendous difference between 2- and 3-mana ramp; cards like Mana Geode and Rakdos Locket are generally worse than Rakdos Signet and Talisman of Indulgence . Mind Stone , Coldsteel Heart , Fire Diamond , Charcoal Diamond and Thought Vessel are also options. Treasure Nabber is a good way to disrupt opposing mana.
Hand-in-hand with what I’ve been talking about is card draw: You need cards to cast with your mana, as well as powerful spells in the first place. Phyrexian Arena is an excellent source of card advantage in black, as are Night's Whisper and Harvester of Souls . Faithless Looting , Magmatic Insight and Cathartic Reunion are ways to filter your cards from red, as well as ways to get creatures you want to reanimate into your graveyard from your hand.
Fighting counter magic is something red does very well. I advise cards like McToters suggested: Price of Glory is one of my favorite cards to run in red. If you want to go deeper on disruption, his suggested Stranglehold is good, as well as Blood Moon , Ruination and Magus of the Moon (though you’d have to craft you land base to accommodate these last three). If your meta is blue-heavy, Boil is good; white-heavy means Flashfires and Dread of Night may be helpful. I don’t know your meta though, and that’s what will dictate if the color-hate cards will be good. If your meta is filled with pesky dorks, Blast Zone is a good consideration.
Harsh Mentor is a card I like landing early, as is Scab-Clan Berserker . Because your curve is relatively high, Pyrostatic Pillar and Eidolon of the Great Revel might be helpful as additional repeating burn effects. If their life-loss becomes too great, a Whip of Erebos can help you survive.
At least consider Necropotence if you decide to run life-gain. It’s typically only found in combo-decks, but in my experience it’s a powerhouse across the board. Getting a card for one life is typically a good deal.
Alright. That’s all for now. Good luck building your deck!
2 months ago
So first off I just want to say sorry if you have a budget and I recommend some cards outside of price range, but here are some suggestions from me:
Cards to take out
- Murder I get that you say that there aren't many planeswalkers in your meta, but sometimes just having the option to hit them on a card that is the same mana cost and does everything else Murder does is just a better option like Hero's Downfall or like you said you fight voltron decks like Zurgo Helmsmasher a card like Vraska's Contempt is a better removal card as it exiles or only one more colorless mana.
- Isareth the Awakener while she is a reanimator, she also exiles the cards when they leave the battlefield which can hurt if you reanimate something you don't want to lose.
- Lotleth Giant - sounds like a good card when you first look at it but it requires set up and costs 7 mana. Not ideal.
- Necrotic Wound - same with the Lotleth Giant , it takes too much set up and there are better spot removal or board wipes
- Open the Graves now here me out on this one, this card is really good in a deck that wants to sacrifice their own creatures, but this looks to be more token focused which means that majority of your creatures that die don't have Open the Graves to trigger.
- Bontu's Monument it is a good card but it looks like you are going to try and cast more non-creature spells than creature spells
- Board wipes like Life's Finale or if you wanna get expensive Damnation
- Paradox Haze this card is a fun one of mine as it allows The Scarab God to have his beginning of upkeep trigger twice dealing hefty damage.
- Phyrexian Altar this card can win as it gives you deck infinite combos with Gravecrawler if you want the deck to go into that direction
- Tutors Tutors Tutors! cards like Sidisi, Undead Vizier or Diabolic Tutor are always musts in black decks as it can help you find answers or wincons when the situation calls for it. These are just a few ideas I have! If you want any more ideas please let me know!
What to put in?So what do we put in? We have a few options based on what you like:
4 months ago
Hey DevisTheWayfarer I'm still not settled with Skaab Ruinator . I removed it once (and this deck became BG), but honestly, there were times when I wished I could just cast from the graveyard, so I put him back. Sure, it exiles 3 creatures, but the only creature I have that can come back to my hand is Stinkweed Imp , so I'd cast Skaab when I find myself in a difficult situation in the game. It's a 3-drop for a 5/6 flying, so I think it's a good trade-off.
Necrotic Wound is great, but it doesn't cause any mill. If your deck has more Dredge creatures, I think that is a great option. Because mine doesn't, I'm relying on Drown in Filth for more self-mill abilities.
Wanna share your deck so we can discuss some ideas? :)
4 months ago
Hi I'm building a similar deck, but I'm having several doubts. Isn't it better Necrotic Wound than Drown in Filth ? Furthermore, don't you think that Skaab Ruinator could be dangerous for your strategy?
Necrotic Wound occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%