|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Surveil 2, then choose an instant or sorcery card in your graveyard. You may cast this card this turn. If that card would be put into your graveyard this turn, exile it instead. (To surveil 2, look at the top two cards of your library, then put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest on top of your library in any order.)
Mission Briefing Discussion
4 hours ago
another option for controlling your opponent to get the same (ish) effect of "extra turns" is Silence , which you can keep re-using during your opponents upkeep step via Isochron Scepter . Snapcaster Mage can also allow you to reuse Silence , but the mage is pretty expensive. Mission Briefing is another, much cheaper option.
1 day ago
Let me start by saying I've been playing Mizzix since he was released, and I've constantly strived to make my [[Primer]] Knowledge & Flame deck the best it can be. I'd like to believe with a 96% competitive rating, and the fact that I RARELY lose with the deck means it's a solid deck. As such it has seen several iterations and I've tried playing all kinds of cards... So here's a bit of advice.
I only have 17 cards that aren't spells that Mizzix can discount, 6 of which is Ramp. I only have two creatures, Niv-Mizzet, Parun (I'm testing him for extra draw power and secondary win con) and Laboratory Maniac as one of my main win cons. Of the 9 cards remaining 2 cards help me with consistent draw power, 2 are to protect Mizzix, 2 win me the game, and the rest are just there. Now I'm telling you all this because even with me having so little cards that aren't reduced by Mizzix I STILL end up with them sitting in my hand for ages for fear of tapping out and not having a counterspell up. So there are a lot of cards you have in this deck that do not directly add to your winning... And some cards that just don't play well with a deck that wants to either combo out or burn everyone into the ground.
Here are some suggested cuts:
- Invert // Invent: Invert does nothing really, and Invent is WAY too expensive for what it does.
- Seething Song: Just trade it out for Desperate Ritual so that you can tutor Reiterate and Desperate Ritual with Firemind's
- Keranos, God Of Storms: Great card, but honestly it's just a win more card, this won't win you the game.
- Melek, Izzet Paragon: I played with this for awhile but at the end of the day it's the same as Keranos
- Blatant Thievery: It's a great card, but it always felt lackluster for me because it requires your opponents to have a good board state, which obviously you don't want. I'd suggest Aethersnatch in it's place because then your opponent just plays a spell for you.
- Ignite Memories/Mind's Desire: Storm cards are good but they don't get you the game. In fact I have whiffed both of those spells more times than I can count! I'd say go for something a bit more certain.
- Mizzium Mortars: I just think that this doesn't kill a LOT of creatures in this format Blasphemous Act is strictly better.
- Stolen Goods: It's too easy for this to be a bad card. what if it's a Rampant Growth or vanilla 2/2 or a lord that doesn't do squat for you. Just too RNG
- Temporal Fissure: Too expensive and again it's too easy to whiff the storm aspect
- Sentinel Tower: It just makes you a target, unless you are committing to storm.
- Future Sight: As a blue player you always want people to assume you have a counterspell, or don't want others to know you have a counterspell... This crushes that. If you REALLY need this effect, which I think isn't worthwhile, Precognition Field is better.
- Sunbird's Invocation: WAY TOO EXPENSIVE, and it's strictly just a win more card.
I know I stated a lot of cards are too expensive and you are playing mizzix but assume mizzix isn't on the table because he will be killed or a target 90% of the time.
Here are some cards I'd highly suggest playing:
- The Usuals: I know it's expensive but... Mana Drain , Force of Will , and Pact of Negation I feel are absolutely necessary for this deck.
- Lightning Bolt : I know someone told you to take this out... but... Firemind's plus 4 experience counters means you win the game. You dig for infinite mana with Reiterat+Reality Spasm/Desperate Ritual and grab lightning bolt to copy infinite times with infinite mana casting reiterate on it infinitely. It's a one card combo basically.
- Mission Briefing
- Power Sink : At worst its a counterspell at best it forces someone to pass turn.
- Disallow : One of the best counters in the game.
- Fuel for the Cause
- Increasing Vengeance
- Nexus of Fate
- Scour from Existence
- Coldsteel Heart
- Pyromancer's Goggles
- Darksteel Plate
- Fanning the Flames
- Mana Geyser
- Time Stretch
- Mystic Retrieval
- Mystic Speculation
Sorry I know I posted a lot but I'm really passionate about this deck, and I love to see mizzix players succeed.
3 days ago
Hi thanks for commenting! The mana base will need lots of work; still unsure if it's color-heavy towards black or red or blue but more shocks are a definite must for sure so the checks can come in untapped.
And I haven't run much control so I wasn't sure if the additional land draw would be helpful, most likely not as it does look like I have some good amount of draw.
I can take one of of both Sinister Sabotage and Mission Briefing . Reckless Rage is something I found could be useful. 1 mana instant speed works just like a Lava Coil but with no downside as I run few creatures and was thinking about going creaturesless. I wasn't sure if Rage would be better than Lava Coil because of this. I can see the usefulness of removing the Moment of Craving as well but I've heard some good things about the card and see it run fairly often so I will wait for a second opinion on that one.
Yawgmoth's Vile Offering has become a pet card, I will move it to the maybe board. Rekindling Phoenix is considered because of its resistance to removal and allows me to run anything that may get it killed like a boardwipe. I also have one. Although Lava Coil is used often due to Phoenix. I'll take him out. I'll also just move Lava Coil over to the side.
3 days ago
Your land base needs more dual lands or some basic mountains, islands, and swamps to be viable. Dragonskull Summit , Drowned Catacomb , and Sulfur Falls are not nearly effective enough with only 6 lands which can allow them to enter untapped in a deck with 26 lands. I would cut one of each of those and the Memorial to Genius since you are already running plenty of draw and two Arch of Orazca and add two additional lands either a basic island and a basic mountain or two more shock lands of some combination to allow your lands to more consistently hit the play-mat untapped.
Additionally I would recommend starting with removing one Sinister Sabotage , one Mission Briefing , all four Reckless Rage , and all three Moment of Craving . Remove Yawgmoth's Vile Offering as it will be way too inconsistent with such little play ability and such high card cost. I also don't see the value of Rekindling Phoenix in this particular deck, especially when you are already running such a deep mana curve for sorcery, creature, and planeswalker.
Perhaps the Lava Coil could be moved to your sideboard for when removal is required.
3 days ago
OK - I have been playing around with similar builds and have a few comments.
2) I found that Disinformation Campaign under-performs and slows down the deck. If you play 4 Siren's Ruse you don't need Blink of an Eye , specially if you play some other cards that might speed up the deck.
3) Thief of Sanity can be a total game changer in this deck, allowing you to select your opponent's strongest cards and play then as your own. I like equipping Aether Tunnel to Thief of Sanity to create an unblockable 3/2 creature that does damage each turn and also gives you one of your opponent's cards into your 'second hand' each turn. IMO 3,or 4 Thief of Sanity are a must in your main-board.
My choices would be:
-2 Mission Briefing (pay 2 mana to select an instant to replay -then have 2 less mana to play that card - doesn't work until late in the game)
+1 Siren's Ruse
Then have some fun
Building on this theme, I would certainly have Hostage Taker in the side-board. It is a pity that we can't also play Nightveil Specter (from the guild-kit). I would consider the option of being able to drop Blink of an Eye for Curious Obsession to give your unblockable Thief of Sanity even more oomph.
4 days ago
1 week ago
hey all sorry for late replies, lifes been busy and my Underground Sea was stolen so i haven't worked on the deck in several months.
nekusar is more of a storm deck than a stax deck when tuned, however more countermagic could be run, i just cant find room for it, but things like Spell Snare , Delay , Stifle , Countersquall are on my watch list as i have copies, Entomb is mainly for eldrazi shuffles but it can be used to entomb targets for Mission Briefing and Yawgmoth's Will
i have a Dack Fayden but i took it out as i only get 1 activation before he dies, and its usually the +1 as the artifact steal is highly situational. i agree on Bitter Ordeal as i have one too and its been in maybeboard for a while
chains and puzzle box are actually the "stax" in the deck, as when combined it negates draws and nukes hands, thereby negating the opponent draw enabling that comes innately with wheels
kozilek is mainly anti-mill so i dont deck myself with wheels or get milled out by opponents, and confidant can be painful yes but on average its great card advantage on turn 1 or 2
i added ad naus in my most recent update as a "win on cast" card as its designed to be, but you're right that it can hurt a bit too much, id have to replace it with another pseudo wincon, maybe Laboratory Maniac ?
thanks for the input
1 week ago
I totally get where you are coming from and you are absolutely right.....but I'm trying to keep it relatively cost friendly.
But you did give me a lot to think about as far as adding flashback into my bag of tricks...but man Snapcaster Mage is soooo expensive (money not mana wise). I'm digging the Torrential Gearhulk and Mission Briefing so I will be adding that. I guess in my excitement of this deck I forgot the importance of card draw.
Overall thanks for the suggestions.
Mission Briefing occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0,06%
U/R (Izzet): 0,1%
All decks: 0,17%
All decks: 0,26%