|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Soldier
Equip costs you pay cost less.
As long as Auriok Steelshaper is equipped, Soldier and Knight creatures you control get +1/+1.
Auriok Steelshaper Discussion
1 week ago
Inspiring Veteran , Heavenly Blademaster , Blood Crypt , Godless Shrine , Sacred Foundry , Arid Mesa , Marsh Flats , Bloodstained Mire , Auriok Steelshaper , Mortify , Vindicate , Damnation , Wrath of God , Enlightened Tutor , Sol Ring , Lightning Greaves , Boros Signet , Orzhov Signet , Rakdos Signet , Acclaimed Contender , Hammer of Nazahn , Arcane Signet , Sword of Feast and Famine
Mirran Crusader , Worthy Knight , Righteous Confluence , Despark , Generous Gift , Rakdos Charm , Infiltration Lens , True Conviction , Colossus Hammer , Blackblade Reforged Cavalier of Flame , Sunforger , Ugin, the Ineffable , 2 Mountains, 4 Plains, 2 Swamps
3 weeks ago
Cool idea. A weak stand alone but powerful in an equipment heavy deck.
The flavor seems a bit off to me though.
A quartermaster is usually someone who looks after a unit, of mostly soldiers, rationalizing supplies and raising morale. This looks more like a combo of a forger and an instructor/teacher.
The first ability basically says, the more creatures you have, the easier it is to train them to use weapons. This would hardly be the case. To me it would make more sense if the cost reduction was flat or if it scaled off his own power. Then you could consider how to grant him power naturally or if that's the synergy you require outside help for.
The second ability is... kinda awkward and definitely busted.
It goes infinite with Mortarpod (or Mask of Immolation straight away on first tap. The germ is the second creature, making the equip cost on the original Equipment, equip on the germ, tap, sac, rinse repeat.
That alone would advice some sort of mana cost associated with copying in the first place.
Second of all, copying all non-token equipments on the creature seems a bit broken when he also reduces the cost of equipping (no other artifact is capable of being attached to a creature). However that may be what you intend for him to do, so as long as we fix the previous issue with being too easy to combo out with, it could function.
I would very much like for Equipment to be better (especially for EDH) but this seems a bit too far as it is.
There's another problem with copying en masse, for cards like Sword of X and Y . Suddenly your entire board has protection from everything and get really big.
As long as you have just a few creatures, most equip costs becomes 0 - I believe there is a reason why WotC haven't made anything yet that reduces equip costs in general by more than ( Auriok Steelshaper ). Removing the equip cost on equipment makes them very powerful, especially if you can equip at instant speed .
Some equipment generates tokens on entry, like all the Living Weapon variants and Ancestral Blade , Mask of Immolation , and Wolfrider's Saddle . It goes infinite very quickly, making this more of a combo piece than a way to improve equipments in general.
I think it would be better if this guy had less power built in him.
4 months ago
Yay Cat tribal!
If you want to focus more on the token generating aspect of Kemba, you could consider adding some more low mana cost/low equip cost artifacts or stuff that automatically equips itself, like Hero's Blade . That way, even if she gets removed, you'll have an easier time getting her up to speed when you recast her. Also Basilisk Collar is a very neat and cheap equipment in terms of mana and equip cost.
6 months ago
Hey, you're welcome.
In my last comment I suggested 27 cards to add. Of those 27 these are the in my opinion the 10 to consider adding first:
- Lands: Command Tower , Battlefield Forge and Mistveil Plains
- Sol Ring : expensive price card to consider, but is the most played card in Commander because it's amazing ramp for one mana.
- Godo, Bandit Warlord : search for Host or Sunforger and put it onto the battlefield. As long as Gogo is equipped with Host before your combat step it will create an infinite loop of attack steps of creating Godo tokens attacking with them, a game winning combo. This works because Gogo is a legendary creature thus all tokens that are created by Host have haste. For Host to make a copy of the equipped creature you don't have to attack with that creature it happens at beginning of combat.
- Sigarda's Aid : cast equipment at instant speed and when the equipment ETB attach it to a creature you control, both these effects are very powerful.
- Open the Armory : search for Host or Sunforger and put it into your hand.
- Smothering Tithe : expensive price card to consider, but some the best repeatable ramp for white in Commander.
- Swords to Plowshares : exile a creature is very good in Commander.
- Chaos Warp : versatile removal spell since it can target any permanent even your own.
- Knight of the White Orchid : search for Mistveil and put it onto the battlefield.
Here's the 27 cards to consider cutting:
- 2x Mountain
- 1x Plains
- Boros Guildgate
- Vivid Crag
For lands I would cut these that ETB tapped and a few basics.
- Call To Serve
- Candlelight Vigil
- Divine Favor
- Ethereal Armor
- Knightly Valor
- Lightning Talons
- Mirror March
- Vigil for the Lost
Consider cutting these auras? Ethereal Armor is one of the best auras for voltron, but to use it effectively you want to play a lot of enchantments to take advantage of it. Because of Host and Sunforger equipment in my opinion is much better for voltron with Aureila then auras.
The problem with auras is they don't stick around like equipment does. If the creature who's enchanted dies so does the aura. If the creature who's equipped dies then the equipment doesn't die it just becomes unattached from the creature staying on the battlefield. There's much more support for equipment in Boros colors than auras.
- Assault Strobe
- Cleaver Riot
- Cosmotronic Wave
- Fury Charm
- Gleam of Resistance
- Hold the Line
- Show of Valor
- Sure Strike
- Hammer Dropper
- Tenement Crasher
- War-Spike Changeling
- Guardian of the Gateless
- Razia, Boros Archangel
I'm not expecting you to make all these cuts right away, but this is a list of the cards for reference. You can essentially cut any of these cards to add any of the cards I've suggested.
Sunforger is a good/fun card, but there's a catch. You have to control a creature and each time you use Sunforger it has to first be attached to a creature. This means that it's five mana to continually use, to equip to a creature and to use it's ability. Don't misunderstand me this is still good as a repeatable tutor for a instant and cast it for free at instant speed, but it can be better. If you can cut the cost or reduce it some having to equip Sunforger each time then it's better.
Other budget support for Sunforger to consider:
- Brass Squire : good with Aurelia's ability. Tap it to equip Sunforger to Aurelia or another creature. Pay to use Sunforger, attack with Aurelia and then untap all your creatures including Squire. During second combat or later at your second main phase tap Squire to equip Sunforger to a creature, pay to use Sunforger again.
- Auriok Steelshaper
If you find that you're having the problems with Host/Sunforger or other important cards getting exiled by your opponents then you can consider adding Pull from Eternity . This instant can put an exiled card back into your library. Can use it with Sunforger. If you're finding out that blue is a pain in the ass to play against then add Red Elemental Blast .
7 months ago
+1 for running a Cute Hound Commander!
Here're some recommendations:
Equipment Related Cards
Hammer of Nazahn - Free equip for your equipments when they ETB and grants your Commander Indestructible. Highly recommended!
Stoneforge Mystic - A staple for equipment themed decks. Nuff said.
Auriok Steelshaper - Reducing equip cost is always good.
Balan, The Wandering Knight - Just in case you need a Plan B.
The deck is quite mana intensive with all the equipping cost we've to pay so I'd recommend as much ramp as you can get.
Mana Crypt - Up your tempo by a lot.
Smothering Tithe - New toy that RNA gave us, you'll be swimming in treasures very soon.
9 months ago
Another great choice for a tribal deck is Coat of Arms .
It never hurts to have more creature tutors--especially in a tribal deck. A few you might consider are: Recruiter of the Guard , Eladamri's Call , Enlightened Tutor , Idyllic Tutor , Altar of Bone , Green Sun's Zenith , Sylvan Tutor and Summoner's Pact .
If you want to go faster you'll need to get more lands out fast and/or mana rocks. That's where green comes in. White has a few spells like Land Tax , Tithe and Oreskos Explorer but, green has stuff like: Burgeoning , Carpet of Flowers , Exploration Utopia Sprawl , Wild Growth , Land Grant , Crop Rotation , Sylvan Scrying , Azusa, Lost but Seeking , Birds of Paradise and Bloom Tender .
Its also not a bad idea to toss in a few more instant-speed removal spells such as: Swords to Plowshares , Wear Away , Sundering Growth , Nature's Claim , Naturalize , Natural State , Dispatch , Disenchant , Afterlife , Beast Within , Crib Swap and Oblation .
9 months ago
So for sure Drop:
EQUIPMENT POWER STUFF
9 months ago
Lots of good advice and options above, but I'll chime in anyway!
First, a shameless plug of my own Sunforger deck! Super Smash Boros | Firesong & Sunspeaker EDH
Notable ones already mentioned:
- Teferi's Protection
- Deflecting Palm: biggest "gotcha" card ever
- Enlightened Tutor: not only does it get Sunforger, you can can also get it with Sunforger
- Boros Charm
Options that I don't think were mentioned:
- Chaos Warp: good removal.
- Dawn Charm: flexible fog.
- Settle the Wreckage: havn't had much succes with this personally, but it's an option.
- Argivian Find: good to get some recursion, especially if sunforger get's blown up.
- Dispatch: basically a better swords to plowshares in an artifact deck.
- Intimidation Bolt: good for stopping attacks that you don't want to happen(think Narset, Jeleva, Etali triggers).
- Price of Progress: Most damage for 2 mana you'll get. In the late game it becomes fantastic.
- Sulfurous Blast: another wipe option.
- Rootborn Defenses: protection, populate.
Other sunforger support cards you might want:
- Relic Seeker: Cheap tutor
- Auriok Windwalker: re-equip shenanigans.
- Auriok Steelshaper: smaller equip cost.
- Sculpting Steel: more sunforger!
- Masterwork of Ingenuity: EVEN MORE SUNFORGER!
- Brass Squire: re-equip shenanigans.
- Sigarda's Aid: flash it in, free equip.
Hope some of this helps!
Auriok Steelshaper occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%