Mother of Runes
Creature — Human Cleric
: Target creature you control gains protection from the colour of your choice until end of turn. ((Remember the acronym debt.) The targeted creature can't be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by anything of the chosen colour. Anything of the chosen colour attached to that creature immediately falls off.)
|Have (4)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , , Obsolete , CompleteWaste|
|Want (3)||pendraggon , Cliper51 , TrevStar7|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Mother of Runes Discussion
2 days ago
I absolutely love stax. Death and Taxes got me into Magic, especially Mother of Runes. My first deck featured Gideon's Lawkeeper, which remains among my favorite cards, along side Mom, Ghost Quarter, and Thalia, Guardian of Thraben.
I mean, my favorite and oldest deck is a Selvala, Explorer Returned deck which is about playing the fewest lands possible and trying to make everyone else play with as many lands as I am. I mean, what's the purpose of Hokori, Dust Drinker other than to untap your Lotus Field?
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player chooses one of each permanent type among permanents they control. Tap all other permanents that player controls.
Each player may only activate one loyalty ability per turn.
I love that what each of us loves about magic is different and want to continue this:
Let's see a card which excites you!
2 days ago
I've play-tested this a few times and its main problems is its speed. In seven out of ten games, I could not do anything useful until turn 5. To improve on this, I would definitely include Chromatic Lantern, for similar reasons you've already included Prismatic Omen and Dryad of the Ilysian Grove. Also, I would replace some of the cards in your deck with some more ramp spells or land-fetching of whatever sort. Some more opportunities for card-advantage would also really help out. I'm thinking Phyrexian Arena, Rhystic Study or something similar.
I should also point out that Jodah is instrumental in your strategy (at least in the early-mid game, until you have something on the board that allows you to cascade for free), but you've not included any protection for him. In my play-group, this guy is a primary target as soon as he hits the battlefield. So stuff like Lightning Greaves, Swiftfoot Boots, Mother of Runes or other cheap stuff like it would be highly recommended too.
Hope the deck works out for you.
2 weeks ago
I feel like Kyler is going to be a removal magnet. I'd definitely recommend stuff like Mother of Runes, Giver of Runes and other effects like Lightning Greaves and Alpha Authority or something. Since he has access to green, recasting him probably won't be too hard but I think some protection would help a lot.
2 months ago
Archangel of Tithes and Windborn Muse both have similar effects that make easier to attack someone else, while Michiko Konda, Truth Seeker and Phyrexian Obliterator drive that point home even further.
But if you want the carrot rather than the stick, there's Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Karazikar, the Eye Tyrant to offer up cards for attacking your opponents instead. And related to Karazikar's goading ability Grenzo, Havoc Raiser can help you keep your opponent open if you're going wide, and Marisi, Breaker of the Coil is that same ability but even stronger as you only need to connect with one creatre.
2 months ago
- Memnite relatively vanilla, and somehow quite expensive towards our budget (~$5). Instead Legion Loyalist which can also trigger (even on a top deck), and gives us much-needed evasion.
- Phyrexian Walker also pretty vanilla, replacing with Grim Initiate . Why? Grim gives us something on a board wipe, to help us recover
- Auratouched Mage (which also comes out with the next card).. it isn't quite as broken as it may seem. Gets chump blocked and doesn't do quite much. Add in Goblin Rabblemaster to give us more dudes
- Breath of Fury comes out if Aura Mage does, it's a combo that isn't too great. Let's add in Anax, Hardened in the Forge to give us more board wipe survivability
- Victory's Envoy is a tough cut, but is a bit slow. Only is very good if we have gobs of tokens. Add in Mother of Runes for obvious reasons
2 months ago
Recently I've been interested in putting creatures in my EDH decks that are solely dedicated to playing defense, blocking big creatures in combat. On gatherer its easy to type up "Defender" to find a large selection of creatures that do just that, but not every highly defensive creature has that keyword and I wanted to make a post sharing creature cards with great defensive capabilities in any color. (Preferably with cheap CMC's.)
Some great defensive creatures I've found are:
Beloved Chaplain , Commander Eesha , Crypt Sliver , Darksteel Myr , Dawn Elemental , Deepwood Ghoul , Degavolver , Dragon's Eye Savants , Dream Fighter , Everdawn Champion , Giant Ox , Mischievous Poltergeist , Mistmeadow Skulk , Mother of Runes , Phantom Nantuko , Predator Ooze , Seraph of the Sword , Serendib Sorcerer , Serene Master , Sorceress Queen .
Does anyone know some others I could add to this list?
3 months ago
- There are quite a few uses for this ability. Planeswalkers are definitely one, but there are also tons of cards with situational abilities or ones that want to be responding to other things. For example, sacrifice decks will run things like Viscera Seer to be able to sacrifice creatures in response to removal to get the correct death triggers. You can also use it on, say, Mother of Runes to get a removal spell through; even if they activate her on the creature you're trying to remove you can just cast your Pit Fight or whatever in response.