Creature tokens you control get +1/+1 and have vigilance.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Intangible Virtue Discussion
3 weeks ago
- Idol of Oblivion for card draw that can be cashed in later for a big token.
- Strixhaven Stadium as an alternate wincon. You can kill a player by just hitting them 10 times which isnt tough to do with a deck like this.
- Intangible Virtue for obvious reasons.
- Illusionist's Bracers to double your Rhys activations.
- Grove of the Guardian land you can cash in for a big token if you need it later in the game.
I've got a similar list over here if you want other ideas: https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-selesnya-tokens-3/
1 month ago
Hello IHATENAMES! Thank you for your comments!
Personally, while I think Adeline lends herself to work well with equipment, I don't want that to be the focus of the deck - I'd like the deck to focus more on powering up the tokens through anthem effects. Most of the equipment that is there is because it's able to offer things towards our gameplan (Veteran's Armaments, Stoneforge Masterwork), give some form of protection or evasion (Loxodon Warhammer, Darksteel Plate, Whispersilk Cloak), or offers an additional form of removal (Godsend, Sword of Feast and Famine, Shadowspear). Batterskull provides an additional creature, which further boosts Adeline's power.
My main problem with mass removal in a deck like this is most of the time it's counterintuitive, meaning it messes with us more so than our opponents. Otherwise, I would run Wrath of God and Day of Judgment 100%. As for targeted removal, I am aware that my package is rather lacking. I'm a big fan of getting rid of things before they're even a threat or have a chance to be a threat, hence the Silence and Orim's Chant. I want to add more, but my problem is I also like utility and most of the cards that say "Destory target Artifact or Enchantment" are over-costed in my opinion.
As for the anthem effects you suggested, my main problem with them is they're over-costed for what we get. Take Honor of the Pure as an example - it's two mana for a +1/+1 effect for all of our creatures. Metallic Mimic does something very similar, as does Thalia's Lieutenant. Intangible Virtue is perhaps something that I might add, but all the others are too much mana in my opinion for what they do. My problem with cards like Gauntlet of Power is there is another mono-white deck at the table, and I'd rather not help them out.
Regardless, again, thank you for your comments!
1 month ago
2 months ago
Another early token card to consider Omen of the Sun for some instant speed soldier tokens with some small lifegain, and the enchantment can be sacrificed for some scry power.
3 months ago
I've always wanted to build a braids modern deck, but casting a 4 drop in a smallpox deck always seemed a bit risky to me, while running braids without smallpox always seemed too slow. Here are my comments on your list:
You have some cards that don't add enough to your gameplan.
1) Greater Harvester looks cute, but it sucks. A static ability that only affects you, while the only way for it to cause your opponent to sacrifice stuff is to deal combat damage with a 5/6 vanilla creature without any evasion or trample or anything. Even with Braids wiping your opponent's board this card will definitely hurt you more than them. World Queller is still pretty expensive, but has a much nicer effect that lets you choose the permanent type. I probably wouldn't run either but having another 5 cmc Braids is cool.
3) I know you run Thalia, Guardian of Thraben to tax your opponents and make it even harder for them to cast spells along with braids, but you have so many noncreature spells that it's probably not that good here either.
4) Leyline of the Meek synergizes with your token plan, but doesn't help you stretch out the game, deny your opponent resources, or create more tokens for yourself. If you really want to play something to buff your tokens I'd use Intangible Virtue , but I don't recommend it.
5) Timely Reinforcements definitely doesn't fit here. There's a reason it usually isn't played in decks with a lot of other token producers - because then its effect would be useless. Add in braids wiping the opponent's creatures and it becomes even worse. 4 Souls + 4 BB already seems like a good token package to me. It could maybe be a one-of in the sideboard though against hyper-aggressive decks.
6) Cabal Coffers is very questionable, since your land count is probably not going to be that high. If you are going to keep it, definitely add more Urborgs. Also 25 lands is a little high even for a pox deck like this one, I think 24 is the perfect number.
7) Crucible of Worlds does have nice synergy with sacrificing lands (and replaying Flagstones is pretty cool) but a lot of the time you would probably be sacrificing tokens instead. I don't think the card is that great here unless you have Flagstones of Trokair on the field, so if you need space for other cards I would recommend cutting these.
You should probably have more early game resource denial, lower your mana curve, and have more pieces that break symmetry.
1) Braids is a four drop, and doesn't have any impact on the board unless she survives a turn. You definitely need something early game that has a similar effect to braids. I don't think this deck can function without 4x Smallpox .
2) 4x Flagstones of Trokair . No questions asked. Also 2-3 Urborgs (esp if you keep Cabal Coffers). T1 Urborg, Inquisition/Thoughtseize into T2 flagstones + smallpox is backbreaking.
3) Bloodghast gives something to discard to pox, and you can repeatedly sacrifice it to braids as well. Nether Spirit is another option but I don't think it works well here.
4) Multiples of Braids suck, so I'd go down to 3 copies.
5) You could consider Sedgemoor Witch as a token producer instead of Bitterblossom. Not quite as sure about this one; it does something even if you only use the tokens to feed braids and gains life while BB loses life, but it also costs 1 more mana and acts as a juicy removal target. However, with braids on the field you already have removal targets so it probably isn't as much of an issue as it seems.
Your only early game disruption is Thoughtseize. This is definitely not enough.
1) I'd run 6-8 discard spells total between Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek . Honestly, In my opinion the best is a 4 IoK/2 Seize split, since IoK is better early game and you should be able to prevent your opponent from casting 4+ cmc spells anyways.
2) I understand that you are running Vindicate so you can blow up your opponent's lands, but you should definitely have some cheaper removal. I'd probably cut one and run 2-3 Fatal Push . Bloodchief's Thirst or Prismatic Ending could also work, just anything that isn't Path to Exile .
About the sideboard cards
2) Some boardwipes are probably needed, even though they don't synergize that well with tokens or braids. Without them, you'll just get run over by aggressive decks. Best ones are Damn and Bontu's Last Reckoning (first one is more of a 1-2x mainboard card, while second one is probably a 2-of in the sideboard).
5 months ago
Hey, what´s up!!!!
In general the deck is looking good. these are some sugestiones to remove:
Tormod, the Desecrator : You don't have that much of graveyard recursion. IMO having this card will not gain you much value in most cases. I would suggest to replace him with Aven Wind Guide since you have a lot token a having them gain flying and vigilance is pretty good.
Zombie Infestation : Two cards for a Zombie token doesn't look that good IMO even if you want more cards in your graveyard. I would suggest to replace him with Intangible Virtue since it pumps your tokens and gives vigilance.
6 months ago
Thanks dnthymamai! I like your Honor of the Pure idea, the deck could use a few buffs to make the tokens more lethal, I would definitely consider adding it but you also reminded me of Intangible Virtue which could be a real contender as well.
I think I will add Radiant Scrollwielder , I play tested this and at times it feel like there are more ways to throw things into the bin than actually remove them, so your suggestion could help just add another source for token creation.
6 months ago
I played a 3 player game with this list just to get a feel for the commander which means some of this should be taken with a grain of salt because I don't know how some of the cards would work in a different situation with only one game to base my experience on.
Out of several attack triggers from Velomachus, most of the free spells were a bit underwhelming. I think one I got Mana Geyser as my free spell and had nothing to spend the mana on during combat. I did manage to win the game, but primarily because one opponent had trouble getting lands early on and fell behind, and also because that player cast Song of the Dryads on the other opponent's Golos, Tireless Pilgrim which shut him down from getting lots of card advantage from activating his ability. Justice Strike unfortunately didn't feel useful, most of the creatures I wanted to kill had more toughness than power. Probably replace it with Path to Exile .
I felt like the deck could use another spell or two that give extra combats. That would be a great thing to hit off of Velomachus triggers. Akroma's Will would also be a nice thing to hit off of his trigger. Also you have a lot of token producing cards, but nothing really to pump the team. Maybe consider Cathars' Crusade , Shared Animosity , Intangible Virtue , or Balefire Liege to make your tokens more threatening. Another neat card that can also be used politically to buff an opponent's attacker is Duelist's Heritage .
Other cards to consider: