Creature — Human Knight
Vigilance, protection from multicoloured ((Remember the acronym debt.) This creature can't be damaged, enchanted, equipped, blocked or targeted by anything multicoloured. Anything multicoloured attached to this creature immediately falls off.)
When Basri's Lieutenant enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
Whenever Basri's Lieutenant or another creature you control dies (is put into a graveyard from the battlefield), if it had a +1/+1 counter on it create a 2/2 white Knight creature token with vigilance.
Printings View all
|Core Set 2021 (M21)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Basri's Lieutenant Discussion
1 week ago
Thanks kenvan19! I've thought about that swap myself, but I think swapping for Basri's Solidarity might be better. I get more Tribal which is good, and I still have enough utility to keep me moving. I've also thought about putting in Cruel Celebrant over Corpse Knight. TL;DR Basri's Lieutenant's 2nd Static paired with Icon of Ancestry makes the tokens he creates infinite, so by chump blocking with tokens I can just punish my opponent for wanting to attack (token dies, they lose 1, I gain 1, and I have lost 0 board state). Honestly might just make that happen!
1 week ago
I agree with iDescendance and see you've already made a number of those changes but one I noticed you didn't pick up was Tournament Grounds which is immensely powerful since no other card type in standard has mana literally dedicated to casting it and only it.
On his point of 'what does this bring to the deck' I always question Worthy Knight since he pumps out tokens but they're not knights. Venerable Knight is another good 1-drop which can be used as a chop block and then buffs another knight when it dies bringing a bit more synergy with Basri's Lieutenant (BL). Further, I'd second his recommendation of Unbreakable Formation or even just Basri's Solidarity since the first is super to either buff your army if you're flush or save your army if your lean.
Icon of Ancestry would absolutely revolutionize your deck as well. Having the static +1/+1 to all your creatures (including tokens generated through The Circle of Loyalty and BL) is awesome but then on top of that you can use it to start churning through your deck to pick out more and more knights when you are looking for cards. Very good start and I think you're going in the right direction! Good luck!
1 week ago
Thanks for commenting, Hblue! I'm glad the list is helping you with ideas. This list is very much still a work in progress. The deck wins in the late game, usually through grinding value out of our creatures, but it does include a couple infinite combos to speed things along.
Basri's Lieutenant goes infinite if you sacrifice a creature with a +1/+1 counter on it while you have a creature that puts a +1/+1 counter on a creature entering the battlefield (such as Good-Fortune Unicorn).
Those two combos infinitely trigger Corpse Knight, as well, and lend themselves to the possibility of an Aristocrats shell.
2 weeks ago
I also play a experience counter atraxa similar to yours. It's so much fun because you have so much synergies in the deck! I can highly recommend:
3 weeks ago
I did a similar Orzhov (BW) Knights Deck Knights of Exile, though we did some things differently. I went at mine with a Spike mindset, but if you're happy with what you have, I'm all for it.
Cards You Should Remove:
- Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
- Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (doesn't synergize with Knights. I had her in an older iteration of my deck but realized she doesn't give any value to my Knights at all. I would recommend swapping her with Gideon Blackblade, better for what you're doing)
- Evolving Wilds (It's not bad, you should understand that you can only pull Swamps and Plains with it)
- Forever Young (The first iteration of my deck had that sort of "bring shit back from the dead" mindset behind it, but I find it's not super effective for what Knights are)
- Tymaret Calls the Dead (doesn't synergize with Knights, just forces you to mill and potentially lose Knights which you're playing)
- Underworld Dreams (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
Cards I Would Recommend:
- Gideon Blackblade (as mentioned, is good for Knights)
- Acclaimed Contender (can help you pull Knights that you need)
- Icon of Ancestry (is a direct buff to Knights, free +1/+1 for playing what you're playing)
- Knights' Charge (synergizes with Knights, is insanely powerful late game. It's more of a synergistic Forever Young)
- Basri's Lieutenant (free Knight generation, is just a really good card for Knights)
- Basri's Solidarity (synergizes very well with Lieutenant)
- Wintermoor Commander (Gets stronger the more Knights you have, can give any creature free Indestructible)
- Tournament Grounds (free Mana for casting Knights)
- Unbreakable Formation (everyone gets Indestructible, and if you cast it during your Main Phase, it helps synergize with Basri's Lieutenant)
Deck Building Tips:
- Constantly be asking yourself "What value does this bring to what I'm playing?" Synergy is fun to play with, but you also have to play around what helps you get to that synergy.
- A bad card that's good when you have another card with it is a deck building trap. I fall victim to it all the time, I tend to read card effects and love the card before I realize what it means to the deck.
- Figure out what your strategy of your deck is. I like playing Midrange, so I tend to play for the lategame with ways to keep me going until then. Another iteration of the Knights deck is Mardu (RBW) that focuses on equipment spells and being Aggro (you play for the early game and want to win as soon as possible). Find your playstyle, and look at ways other people are running that playstyle.
- If all else fails, netdeck. If you didn't know what that was already, it means copying someone else's deck and running it yourself. Many in the MTG community dispute it, but it's not a bad thing to use as a learning tool.
Hope this helps!
3 weeks ago
Chandra585, I decided against using Basri's Lieutenant because I don't generate many +1/+1 counters, so I didn't think I'd benefit much from it. Whereas I gain a decent amount of life per turn so I figured Deathless Knight can get a lot more run time.
3 weeks ago
Court Hussar seems weak. Syr Faren, the Hengehammer and Knight of the Reliquary do as well. I would cut all of them for better ramp cards, like Arcane Signet, Fellwar Stone, Coldsteel Heart. Ancient Ziggurat might replace a Transguild Promenade. Order of Midnight also seems weak. Try Belle of the Brawl. Basri's Lieutenant is also really good. It could replace Deathless Knight.
3 weeks ago
Hello Bramdal thank you for the suggestions.
I think Thraben Inspector is slow for this deck. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben probably in sideboard. Charming Prince, he can bounce Thalia's Lieutenant and soldier and knight protecting a noble why not ! haha I like the idea but I prefer focus on humans/soldiers/knights in priority. Militia Bugler could be nice to retrieve some cards but I probably go for Benalish Marshal. Basri's Lieutenant seems nice but not in the mainboard.
Concerning the cards you would cut :
Akrasan Squire and Fiendslayer Paladin will be in first line. Martial Coup will follow but not yet decided the substitution. Launch the Fleet is the signature card of this deck :) Wing Shards don't know yet. Knight Exemplar will replace Fiendslayer Paladin