Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Gideon of the Trials
Planeswalker — Gideon
+1: Until your next turn, prevent all damage target permanent would deal.
0: Until end of turn, Gideon of the Trials becomes a 4/4 Human Soldier creature that's indestructible and is still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
0: You get an emblem with "As long as you control a Gideon planeswalker, you can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game."
Max_Hammer on These silly hoomans - Need Help
7 months ago
Well hello there! I had way too much time on my hands, so here’s this. By the way, it’s all ordered best to worst. (:
- Circle of Dreams Druid is going to drop loads of mana, assuming you can pay the three green.
- Fallaji Wayfarer is going to give all of your stuff (including your commander) convoke! Not all, but a lot.
- Hamza, Guardian of Arashin is going to make a lot of your creatures cost a lot less.
- Herald of War makes all of your humans dirt cheap if he gets counters. But, oh, what’s that? This deck loves making counters for creatures? Perfect.
- Nissa's Expedition is just Cultivate but it potentially costs a lot less.
- Gaea's Cradle is perfect if you have a small fortune laying around and you’re in need of mana.
- Bennie Bracks, Zoologist every time you make a token? So every turn? Alright, sick.
- Ulvenwald Mysteries lets you investigate the murder of your entire army. A board wipe kills this deck, but this (plus loads of mana) could help bring it back.
- Season of Growth lets you scry a lot, letting you look for pretty much whatever and just pull it out.
- Devouring Light, Conclave Tribunal, Hour of Reckoning are all removal spells but if you’re on a mana budget with a lot of 1/1’s.
- Elspeth Tirel is a board wipe, if you manage to keep her around for long enough. If that’s not what you need, though, she’s got plenty of utility otherwise.
- Coordinated Barrage, Kabira Takedown Flip, and Outflank aren’t super powerful, but can destroy pretty much anything that comes your way. If it’s not hexproofed, shrouded, or indestructible, it will be killed.
- Devout Chaplain says “The power of Christ compels you! Begone!” but this time it actually works.
- Sanctuary Lockdown lets you say “Not this combat phase, Satan,” and if you have enough mana, you can do that again and again and again. Plus, if you decide you can’t, then it’s still a big boy.
- Kamahl's Will will destroy just about anything in sight and can give you extra attacking force, if you can manage a way to keep all of your lands safe.
- Loxodon Hierarch is going to save your deck (which is very sensitive to board wipes) from a board wipe, judy once. Use wisely.
- Scapegoat won’t save your tokens, but it will save everyone else, commander included.
- Kindred Boon can slowly but surely make literally every creature you own indestructible.
- Ephemeral Shields is extra protection that can easily be pulled out of your back pocket.
- Basri's Lieutenant isn’t going to save your deck, but it will buy you time or give you a chance next turn at a kill, if the board wiper was low.
- Song of Freyalise is budget, makes every spell into a convoke spell, and then lets your hammer your opponents with the might of ZEUS!!
- Path of Ancestry should go into every tribal deck!! Well, maybe not every, but it’d definitely be good in this one, so there you go.
- Branching Evolution is just perfect for this deck. Double it, yesssss!
- Hydra's Growth would be perfect on your commander, especially since your best protection works just on them.
- Rick, Steadfast Leader is enough to make a human deck cry. This is no longer a democracy, this is a Ricktatorship.
- Crowned Ceratok, Tuskguard Captain, and Bramblewood Paragon all give your big creatures trample. Just yes.
- Horn of Valhalla can both make a bunch of tokens and then use those tokens to make a big, fuck off 99/99.
- Voice of Resurgence protects you against, or at least discourages the use of, counters and murders on your turn. Why? It makes a big, fuck off 99/99 when someone does.
- Queen Allenal of Ruadach makes more tokens and is a massive body. What’s not to like?
- Hanweir Militia Captain Flip is a mean creature and makes plenty of tokens.
- Primal Vigor, Second Harvest, Anointed Procession, Parallel Lives, and Doubling Season all say “What, you thought I was going to stop at only one million?” Though, I do have a feeling you left these out intentionally. Either they weren’t working or you avoid doubling strategies like these, which totally makes sense.
- Craterhoof Behemoth is, to say the least, a strong card. All of them get trample? And +99/+99? And it has haste? This is a way to turn a game around fast if I’ve ever seen one. The ultimate Might of the Masses creature.
- Might of the Masses is the classic. Instant destruction for just one green. Perfection.
- Seraph of the Masses is a Might of the Masses creature with flying and convoke.
- Shanna, Sisay's Legacy is a Might of the Masses creature with ability hexproof.
- Appeal / Authority is just slow Might of the Masses.
- Huatli, Radiant Champion is Might of the Masses but in Planeswalker form.
- Sigil of the Nayan Gods is Might of the Masses in enchantment form.
- Crusader of Odric is a poor man’s Might of the Masses creature
- Gideon, the Oathsworn just happens to slip and give all of your creatures an absurd number of counters. Not to mention the big body (noticing a pattern yet?) and the one-sided board wipe! He’s got a weird face again, sadly, pass.
- Gideon, Champion of Justice is a board wipe and a big, bad creature all wrapped into one. 7/10, he can dominate me.
- Gideon Jura can goad and destroy stuff. Perfect for removal and instigating fights when you know you’ll win. Not to mention the big scary 6/6 lurking beneath. Also a weird face, pass.
- Gideon of the Trials reads “Fuck your biggest creature, he’s not going to do anything, and also, as long as I’m around, fuck you more.” Nothing crazy, but can definitely make you public enemy #1 for having an effect like that. Pretty normal face, but that ability makes him a dick. 3.4/10
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip is just some kid. Ignore him. This is a child, pass.
- Gideon, Battle-Forged!? Where did you come from? Nothing super interesting here, but for one mana not bad. Weird face, pass.
- Gideon, Martial Paragon can give buffs to all of your stuff, which is definitely not bad at all, and your opponents are automatically dead if he gets that ten ability off. That said, this Gideon can get it. 10/10.
- Gideon Blackblade is eh. He’s okay. He can get it, though. 7/10.
- Gideon, Ally of Zendikar can do some generic Gideon stuff. Make tokens, give buffs, be a 4/4. Eh. 6.7/10.
- Reconnaissance lets you attack with everything and then say “Well, no, actually, I didn’t attack with those.” This is one of those cards in Magic that you just have to believe was invented or inspired by toddler games where they invent the rules as they go along, y’know? Anyway swing at will!
- Peach Garden Oath is one mana for a crazy amount of lifegain. Lets you swing aggressively and pay as much life as you want.
- Kindred Summons gives you the gift of as many humans as you damn please. That said, be careful not to deck yourself.
- Sigarda, Champion of Light is the other Sigarda card you might want to add, since she likes giving you stuff.
- Chord of Calling is just a plain good tutor.
- Flight of Equenauts, Ledev Guardian, Conclave Equenaut, Conclave Phalanx, and Argivian Phalanx, are just free creatures, more or less.
Icbrgr on Thursday Night Magic : What …
7 months ago
I MADE TOP 8! ... Out of 8 players I placed 8th; 3 rounds of best of 3 Swiss.
Round 1 Vs. Affinity 0-2: Seemed like a pretty straightforward U/W Affinity deck... Urza's Saga is one heck of a card.
Round 2 Vs. Mono White tokens 0-2: This was a deck based on a saffron olive brew utilizing Esper Sentinel with Force of Virtue and Mana Tithe.
Round 3 Vs. Eldrazi Tron 2-1: This seemed to be a pure eldrazi list.... Reality Smasher and company with Ugin planswalkers and Walking Ballista.
Granted I placed last but all my games really felt winnable; I was honestly pretty nervous for some reason and could/should have played better...heck i was frazzled just trying to figure out how to use the companion app because its the first I've ever seen it before lol...But I had a blast... I was kinda caught up in just the thrill and joy of playing in person for the first time since the original Zendikar set which apparently was over 10 years ago now!?!?!?... Gideon of the Trials with Pact of Negation is hilarious and was amazed that I pulled that combo off in 2 different games. I was able to interact well in all my games but lacked an offensive presence and or was not able to capitalize on a momentum shift after big plays like Settle the Wreckage.... I came pretty close but just couldn't quite close games out
Icbrgr on What is the "best" way …
8 months ago
i totally count/consider Worship and all means of play that facilitate it as strategy to be "Turbofog"... I have always wanted to build around Pariah and Kiora, the Crashing Wave's +1 lol
jamochawoke on Eternal Flame
1 year ago
Lightning Helix would probably be better over Incinerate or Guerrilla Tactics. Might move the Incinerates/Tactics to the sideboard in case you run into regeneration creatures or hand disruption. While it's a cool survival tactic, you might not see a Wall of Hope to run Prismatic Strands with and you've only got the 4 creatures. I think the reversal cards are fun, but at a certain point it's better to just kill the opponent than live longer so Life Burst is another option to swap out rather than the Incinerates. You're also running a bunch of low cost instants, but have no way of refilling your hand. White struggles with that outside of EDH (which is why its game plan is on stalling or tax) but red has tons of options to refill the hand in Legacy.
But if you're intent on running so much lifegain Felidar Sovereign or Test of Endurance might be an alternate wincon for you but if Storm and spellslinging is of greater interest to you, you might consider Angel's Grace and Near-Death Experience over all the lifegain. If just being an annoying opponent to face in Red/White is the goal, keep the protection cards and instead slap in some Gideon of the Trials in there.
1 year ago
Had a Bo1 with Amulet Titan. Good lord that was one hell of a slog. It’s hard to keep track of what all they were doing but they got out an early Urza's Saga to follow up my Stoneforge Mystic . I took turn three to pop Saga with Field of Ruin . They quickly follow with another with some Arboreal Grazer action. I got out my Batterskull on an end step and deployed Gideon Blackblade to give the germ double lifelink. I pulled up ahead on line enough to take a hit for 18 from a Primeval Titan . I followed with Gideon of the Trials to pin the Titan. They managed to get another Titan off of Azusa, Lost but Seeking land drops and they had to eat a Gideon. They took out GotT with some Golems and got a second Titan on board to go at me. I deployed Kaldra Compleat with my Stoneforge sitting on the side to block it and take it down. My Batterskull was giving me big life at that point with a Sword of Fire and Ice attached so I could sponge some blows. Some more trading with another Blackblade sponging blows off the emblem and giving Batterskull big boy lifegain. I eventually foretold a Doomskar and that sealed the deal with my planeswalker beats and germ.
That was a real brawl. There was big work done by all contributors. Gideon of the Trials emblem made magnets of our Gideons taking a lot of pressure off our life total while Batterskull with double lifelink with Gideon Blackblade sent our life soaring. We were sitting at around 48-50 by the end? Blacksmith's Skill gave us clutch as a ‘block’ for one of our Gideons getting threatened by a Titan. That bought a turn for another GotT to come in and nullify it. Doomskar has been an all star coming in clutch to close out games. With a log of our threats being resilient to the sweep we could easily follow with a big swing. I was stunned we were able to hold the fight without a single Path to Exile or Solitude . Wow. Those would have been fantastic pulls. The one flaw in my play that I could identify was getting Batterskull instead of Sword of Hearth and Home . That would have been great for blanking Titan hits. So what we pulled performed wonderfully and and we had a lot of live draws that would have helped. This is a real confidence booster for this deck’s viability. I never even bothered attacking with Blackblade and I could have. xD
1 year ago
Played a quick game against W/B Pox Reanimator. I don’t even know if the deck was going heavier on Pox but it had Liliana of the Veil , probably as discard outlets.
They led on a pair of Inquisition of Kozilek and Liliana of the Veil to strip me. I was able to hold out long enough to get Gideon, Ally of Zendikar to threaten Lili. They continued stripping me down to top deck mode. I managed to pull Gideon of the Trials to to get an emblem before being taken down. Middle Gideon held down the fort for a couple turns and the opponent ate up their Lingering Souls . I got out Castle Ardenvale to help with the Smallpox . They got out a Priest of Fell Rites and I followed up fortelling Doomskar . We went a couple turns with a Knight Ally token and Priest trading blows with Castle providing blocks for Priest. They got a Smallpox to eat some board and eternalized Priest to get Archon of Cruelty to kill my token. I stupidly forgot about my Doomskar for a turn but was kinda hoping for a Path to Exile or Solitude but I ended up blowing it up on the next hit. They followed up with a Persist and I pulled a useless Stoneforge Mystic .
That was a slug fest as they stripped my hand, I deployed threats, they are my threats and got out a big boi with me blanking on removal. I should note that I had a Path earlier in the game but between double Inquisition, several Liliana activations, and Smallpox , I had lost it before it was relevant. We’ll played, opponent.
Jackfrost23 on Fogger
1 year ago
Martyr of Sands , Ranger-Captain of Eos , Judge's Familiar , Blossoming Calm , Isochron Scepter . If you go with Isochron Scepter you might also want Angel's Grace . You might want to upgrade your mana base. Gideon of the Trials is good. The deck looks great though.
Phion on Liesa EDH: Unredeemed
2 years ago
Yup I like this deck, I had debated about making this deck myself but held back because I had made 2 decks prior that used similar tech to what I was thinking The kiss of Judas and Sunset of the king
In terms of cards I would keep in mind of Plunge into Darkness , Gideon of the Trials and Spoils of the Vault while you are playing with life. Stunning Reversal might also be interesting
|Have (4)||TheRealSpecialK , Downside_Up , metalmagic , gildan_bladeborn|
|Want (3)||Lunar_Wing , Amaterasu312 , rdtucker|