Creature — Human Wizard
If you would draw a card while your library has no cards in it, you win the game instead.
|Have (3)||rockleemyhero , metalmagic ,|
|Want (14)||MsPickletonIII , S46354595 , deman464 , BasedNorseman , Birdman1 , makarzorklin , carlosfee , Barthie , Rinan , saeedysn , MitReklaw , Camypo , RationalPi , MisterFamous|
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster: Store Edition (MYSTOR)||Uncommon|
|Mystery Booster: Convention Edition (MYSCON)||Uncommon|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Azami, Lady of Scrolls + Laboratory Maniac + Mind Over Matter
- Laboratory Maniac + Lore Weaver
- Curiosity + Laboratory Maniac + Psychosis Crawler
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Laboratory Maniac occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.08%
UR (Izzet): 0.74%
WUB (Esper): 0.33%
UBR (Grixis): 0.62%
Laboratory Maniac Discussion
1 day ago
Yo drcatherwood, I play Kess quite a lot and I like the super combo feel ya did to your version! Have ever considered running the Underworld Breach combo with Lion's Eye Diamond? It goes in conjunction with Thassa's Oracle/Laboratory Maniac/Jace, Wielder of Mysteries line. Another cool line that you can run that goes hand in hand with a lot of your cards is adding in Copy Artifact to go Twin Scepter combo, add in Reality Shift or Lightning Bolt than you can either bolt people to death or Reality Shift their whole deck provided they have a creature on the field. Another thing since ya added Swan Song, you can go make infinite birdies as well.
Ya get a +1 from me!
3 days ago
I like your list, it's quite similar to mine. I particularly like the Laboratory Maniac + Demonic Consultation combo, so much so that I'm considering it for my deck as a "cheap" way to win the game out of nowhere.
The only things that don't convince me are the combos revolving around Necrotic Ooze because they are a little too clunky, but for the rest it's a very good deck!
Unfortunately Theros didn't give us any playable card, so fingers crossed for Ikoria!
5 days ago
There are a few things that Finale of Devastation really has going for it, especially compared to other similar cards.
- Finale of Devastation acts as a win condition by pumping creatures and giving haste. This gives big utility by being a win condition that also has a regular purpose too, meaning you aren't holding a dead card just for winning like Laboratory Maniac. Finale is a tutor, its a win condition, both are essential parts of decks when playing cEDH. This is really the single biggest reason decks run the card.
- Finale of Devastation pulls from the library OR the graveyard. In EDH, where you are limited to singleton copies, many tutors to winning lines can be turned off by having the creature in your GY instead of the library. Another way of thinking about it is that Finale of Devastation doubles as an X-cost reanimation spell on top of being an X-cost tutor.
- Finale of Devastation puts into play, which immediately sets it apart from to-hand style tutors. This is seen with a few tutors, especially X cost ones like Green Sun's Zenith. Compare to GSZ, for one more mana you are able to get a creature of ANY color. Compare to Chord of Calling, which has convoke and is instant speed for 1 more mana, but lacks the ability to pull from GY and the color weight is 3 instead of 2, which makes it slightly harder for 3/4/5 color decks
- It serves as layering by having creatures with removal. For example, imagine you have 3 cards in your deck like Caustic Caterpillar. If you run 7 creature tutors that can get you to your Caterpillar, it is like you have 10 copies of that card but you didn't have to spend any extra slots. Now apply this to removal, card draw, combo pieces, mana production, mana outlets, stax pieces, whatever type of card you can think of. Many decks choose to run Finale alongside GSZ and sometimes (but rarely) Chord of Calling too, plus a plethora of other tutor-to-hand effects to give fast access to combo pieces.
TL;DR wincon, tutor, reanimate, layering, at a CMC playable in the meta. Swiss army knife that does so much more for a little extra mana, and it can always be useful no matter when you draw it.
1 week ago
multimedia I see what you’re saying, I just don’t think that is the direction I want to go. Honestly this deck’s mill plan probably hinges too much on Psychic Corrosion for me to only have the one tutor for it, and an inconsistent one at that. But I’m ok with that. My playgroup is tiring of my infinite combos and other consistent win conditions, so this is mostly for fun. That being said I have been thinking about Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and/or Laboratory Maniac, because in testing I’ve been able to draw ridiculous numbers of cards. Psychosis Crawler could fit too, but I already play Nekusar so I’m trying to not double up on my strategies that much, that and the more non-zombies I run, the fewer cards I draw with Varina.
1 week ago
Hi everyone, i would like to build a self-mill + blink deck in order to use Thassa's Oracle, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and Laboratory Maniac as my win condition. Which commander do you suggest? I was thinking of Thassa, Deep-Dwelling for the blinking ability or Urza, Lord High Artificer for the ability to make a lot of mana and the combo off. Do you have any idea?
1 week ago
hey while looking for a good commander for the Demonic Consultation+Laboratory Maniac or Thassa's Oracle combo and used your deck as a starting point or point of reference, and built a my version of this deck (side note- I built my version in response to a Narset, Enlightened Master ).
Also upvoted your deck, would like it if you checked out my first deck that I put onto tapped out and let me know what you think of it, of course suggestions are welcome for it. https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/23-02-20-greven-predator-captain/
2 weeks ago
I would like to also win/play with the Thassa's Oracle and Laboratory Maniac combo. But I don't really know how, or if that fits in this deck. What do you think about that. Thanks for all the edvice btw!
2 weeks ago
I want my deck to be a artifact heavy deck, with fun cards, because the deck is trying to be kind of casual. I would really like to play with Possessed Portal and March of the Machines, and win with that in some kind of why. But I don't know if that is good.
I really like your isochron-dramatic combo, and would like to put that in the deck too.
I think Thousand-Year Storm, probably isn't good in this kind of deck. I would like to also win/play with the Thassa's Oracle and Laboratory Maniac combo. But I don't really know how, or if that fits in this deck.
I would also want som kind of value engine with Unwinding Clock.