Creature — Human Wizard
If you would draw a card while your library has no cards in it, you win the game instead.
|Have (7)||rockleemyhero , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , Forkbeard , metalmagic , , abby315 , echohites|
|Want (9)||3xist3ntial , berk , watchy0ubac , Skreach , scaevola23 , Fylas , JazzCrimes , kingcraig , PawPawBear|
Printings View all
|Mystery Booster (MYS1)||Uncommon|
|Ultimate Masters (UMA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
- Azami, Lady of Scrolls + Laboratory Maniac + Mind Over Matter
- Laboratory Maniac + Lore Weaver
- Curiosity + Laboratory Maniac + Psychosis Crawler
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Laboratory Maniac occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.04%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.08%
UR (Izzet): 0.74%
WUB (Esper): 0.33%
UBR (Grixis): 0.62%
Laboratory Maniac Discussion
8 hours ago
what about Sword of the Paruns for a double up on infinite mana?
Personally I wouldn't splash blue in the deck. You want devotion and blue can't give you anything green can't in this case. A Rogue's Passage is a better Aether Tunnel - Helix Pinnacle isn't that much worse than Laboratory Maniac
I would also throw in as many x spells as possible. I'm willing to bet that in this deck - steelbane hydra is going to be better than Nature's Claim if you have the budget for a Mistcutter Hydra I'd replace Fireshrieker and Declare Dominance with them as finishers.
12 hours ago
- Nekusar, the Mindrazer hes a great commander if you wanted to change format for this deck style is really funny.
- The biggest issue with the deck is running Reliquary Tower and Underworld Dreams in the same deck you really need both effects, but the mana base is very hard to get by with.
- When deciding between these two decks ill say one is more comboy which means itll feel the same each game basically this one is mostly synergy so it'll feel different playing it each time.
- Forced Fruition is 6 mana. Youll probably hit your land drops on time due to card draw but thats still 6 turns (5 at the soonest).
- Fast lands like Sulfur Falls are great but you wanna run 3 max. They dont work well together. If your opener is just a 2-1 split of your fast lands your gonna be behind. (Shocklands are worth it).
- Consider the following: Teferi's Ageless Insight, Ominous Seas, Blasphemous Act, Fate Unraveler, Molten Psyche, Spiteful Visions, Whispering Madness + unblockable creature, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Dictate of Kruphix, Megrim, Dark Deal, Waste Not, (Magus of the Wheel is sadly not legal :( ), Psychosis Crawler, Howling Mine, Liliana's Caress, Temple Bell, Incendiary Command, Prosperity, Dragon Mage, Fell Specter, Kess, Dissident Mage, Sangromancer, Magus of the Jar, Laboratory Maniac, Thassa's Oracle, Nadir Kraken, Consecrated Sphinx, Baleful Strix, Sire Of Insanity, Reverberate, Wheel of Fate, Echo of Eons, Burning Inquiry, Scheming Symmetry, Font of Mythos, Otherworld Atlas, Spellbook, Crawlspace or Ensnaring Bridge, Jace Beleren, Ashiok, Dream Render, Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, Narset, Parter of Veils, Geier Reach Sanitarium.
- I hope thats helpful. There's a lot of similar affects so theres a lot of routes to go.
3 days ago
Nice concept. Consider replacing Jace, Wielder of Mysteries and Laboratory Maniac with just Thassa's Oracle. Consider Tolaria West to tutor for Walking Ballista, Mana Crypt, or any needed utility land. Run Mox Opal for additional ramp and Scroll Rack to find your combo pieces. Vampiric Tutor could also be helpful. Card draw will be an issue with this deck. Necropotence and the like are busted. As are blue cantrips such as Brainstorm for finding combo pieces. Dig Through Time can help if you fill up your graveyard fast enough. As the deck stands, it could fall flat without more draw or hate. I’m curious to see what you do next.
4 days ago
I haven’t seen Rule of Law ever in maindeck, but if it’s popular in your meta, Nature's Claim would be the better choice imo. I like Laboratory Maniac, but you only need one. Thassa's Oracle is better, but I realize the UU could be hard to pull off in your deck. Again, you would only need one card for the decking yourself wincon.
4 days ago
Thanks, I will take out Root Snare and Goblin Cannon. Not Naturalize though, because I need it for cards like Rule of Law. I am thinking of putting in 2 Laboratory Maniacs, what do you think about that?
5 days ago
It’s a good start. I’ve played against many Urza decks. I’d recommend every infinite mana combo you can muster: Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith (you have this), Power Artifact + Grim Monolith, Deadeye Navigator + Peregrine Drake, Palinchron + High Tide, Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal (you have this). You will want tutors for these pieces: Tribute Mage, Trophy Mage, Reshape (you have this), Whir of Invention, Transmute Artifact, Inventors' Fair, Spellseeker, Mystical Tutor, Merchant Scroll. You can literally just run every combo piece available in mono blue and then bark up whatever tree is closest. Win cons include Nexus of Fate (take all the turns), Thassa's Oracle, Laboratory Maniac, and of course decking your opponents with Blue Sun's Zenith and Stroke of Genius. It’s actually quite beautiful in its simplicity. Just remember that playing Urza isn’t about having fun or being creative—-it’s about winning!
5 days ago
have every card in your deck be a Shadowborn Apostle/Relentless Rats/Rat Colony/Persistent Petitioners, with one Laboratory Maniac, and then just exile your entire deck and win! (I think I'ma build that deck now, actually)
let's use Crackling Drake to it's full potential!
5 days ago
Nice deck idea! If I may suggest something. Maybe put some countermeasures in the main deck that deal with your opponent's spells. I know this is more focused on creating your own combos, but say your opponent is playing with a bunch of exile/bounce spells, or (for example) have their own Leyline of the Void. It also might be hard to come back from a massive boardwipe as well. You have a bit of card draw with Silversmote Ghoul, but besides that, you may end up just top-decking after your opponent obliterates the field.
There are some inconsistencies. See some of your cards get stronger in the late game while others get worse. Some cards are just really circumstantial. Hedron Crab is fun, you got fetch lands. But later in the game, when you've drawn all you could and played all your lands, he just sits there. Being able to flicker, bounce, and interact with your own lands would help his ability continue triggering even into the late game. Having lands that give you triggers would also work with this idea. Cards like Mystic Sanctuary would prove beneficial, especially if you had instants and sorceries that could counter and destroy your opponents spells, you could also search up Sanctuary with fetchlands at instant speed. Silversmote Ghoul is cool how it can revive itself, but you only have Creeping Chill to trigger that ability. So the Ghoul will eventually be stuck in the graveyard. Merfolk Secretkeeper is the most inconsistent though. the card only works once. That's it. You can't copy the ability, nor do you have any bounce spells or revival for the Keeper. So once it mills, that is it. If you mill it to the graveyard, it also does nothing.
Putting in some looting cards might be nice. That way you still get to put cards into your graveyard, but you get to choose what that will be. Cause you might lose important cards just by milling yourself.
Another option is putting in spells with flashback. That way you can still cast spells even when you got nothing in your hand. You have some creature revival abilities, but no instant/sorcery revival abilities.
So cards like Merfolk Looter would work. Cause you get consistent looting every turn (not just a one off). The looter would also work with Mystic Sanctuary pretty well. That way you don't have to wait a turn to draw the card.
If you went straight up looting/card draw you also could use cards like Jace's Erasure and target yourself. So both looting and mill. A bit slower, but more stable. and you could use cards like Broken Concentration to help with problematic enemy spells.
If you would rather go massive self-mill instead of slow and easy mill, I would suggest putting in a few cards that outright win you the game if you have no cards in your library. Like Laboratory Maniac. Also cards that get consistently more powerful with the amount of cards in your graveyard. Gnaw to the Bone can help you stay alive in the late game. Splinterfright, Mortivore, and Kraul Harpooner are nice cards that get better as the game goes on.
I hope I was helpful. Good luck with your deckbuilding!