Icon of Ancestry
As Icon of Ancestry enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Creatures you control of the chosen type get +1/+1.
, : Look at the top three cards of your library. You may reveal a creature card of the chosen type from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
|Want (4)||DrBlitz , vonhelmet , OutlawPete92 , iluvbacon610|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2020 (M20)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Icon of Ancestry Discussion
6 days ago
/clap....more buffers tho Icon of Ancestry like for more evilness >:|
2 weeks ago
I agree with iDescendance and see you've already made a number of those changes but one I noticed you didn't pick up was Tournament Grounds which is immensely powerful since no other card type in standard has mana literally dedicated to casting it and only it.
On his point of 'what does this bring to the deck' I always question Worthy Knight since he pumps out tokens but they're not knights. Venerable Knight is another good 1-drop which can be used as a chop block and then buffs another knight when it dies bringing a bit more synergy with Basri's Lieutenant (BL). Further, I'd second his recommendation of Unbreakable Formation or even just Basri's Solidarity since the first is super to either buff your army if you're flush or save your army if your lean.
Icon of Ancestry would absolutely revolutionize your deck as well. Having the static +1/+1 to all your creatures (including tokens generated through The Circle of Loyalty and BL) is awesome but then on top of that you can use it to start churning through your deck to pick out more and more knights when you are looking for cards. Very good start and I think you're going in the right direction! Good luck!
2 weeks ago
23 Jul 2020 Updates:
1 month ago
I did a similar Orzhov (BW) Knights Deck Knights of Exile, though we did some things differently. I went at mine with a Spike mindset, but if you're happy with what you have, I'm all for it.
Cards You Should Remove:
- Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
- Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (doesn't synergize with Knights. I had her in an older iteration of my deck but realized she doesn't give any value to my Knights at all. I would recommend swapping her with Gideon Blackblade, better for what you're doing)
- Evolving Wilds (It's not bad, you should understand that you can only pull Swamps and Plains with it)
- Forever Young (The first iteration of my deck had that sort of "bring shit back from the dead" mindset behind it, but I find it's not super effective for what Knights are)
- Tymaret Calls the Dead (doesn't synergize with Knights, just forces you to mill and potentially lose Knights which you're playing)
- Underworld Dreams (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
Cards I Would Recommend:
- Gideon Blackblade (as mentioned, is good for Knights)
- Acclaimed Contender (can help you pull Knights that you need)
- Icon of Ancestry (is a direct buff to Knights, free +1/+1 for playing what you're playing)
- Knights' Charge (synergizes with Knights, is insanely powerful late game. It's more of a synergistic Forever Young)
- Basri's Lieutenant (free Knight generation, is just a really good card for Knights)
- Basri's Solidarity (synergizes very well with Lieutenant)
- Wintermoor Commander (Gets stronger the more Knights you have, can give any creature free Indestructible)
- Tournament Grounds (free Mana for casting Knights)
- Unbreakable Formation (everyone gets Indestructible, and if you cast it during your Main Phase, it helps synergize with Basri's Lieutenant)
Deck Building Tips:
- Constantly be asking yourself "What value does this bring to what I'm playing?" Synergy is fun to play with, but you also have to play around what helps you get to that synergy.
- A bad card that's good when you have another card with it is a deck building trap. I fall victim to it all the time, I tend to read card effects and love the card before I realize what it means to the deck.
- Figure out what your strategy of your deck is. I like playing Midrange, so I tend to play for the lategame with ways to keep me going until then. Another iteration of the Knights deck is Mardu (RBW) that focuses on equipment spells and being Aggro (you play for the early game and want to win as soon as possible). Find your playstyle, and look at ways other people are running that playstyle.
- If all else fails, netdeck. If you didn't know what that was already, it means copying someone else's deck and running it yourself. Many in the MTG community dispute it, but it's not a bad thing to use as a learning tool.
Hope this helps!
BRG24 on Cat Tribal
1 month ago
Nice deck. The one thing that I think might be a little lacking here is any form of card draw. As such, I would encourage you to have another look at Vanquisher's Banner and Icon of Ancestry. Both provide immediate value in the form of an anthem, and then provide additional value throughout the game. Banner is just pure value, replacing every cat spell that you cast, and Icon lets you sift through the top of your deck to find cards that you want/need. I hope this helps.
1 month ago
You just gotta read through a few forum threads. Or go the hardcore route and just scour Gatherer to find the gems
Arcane Encyclopedia is sorta the bar that I evaluate draw engines against. It's not a bad card, but that's basically the bar. Anything that's worse should not be played but anything that's as good or better is probably ok. I played a lot of mono white, so the context is largely the same. When draw engines get cheaper than Arcane Encyclopedia they also get more restrictive, so just pick a few of the ones that fit your deck.
Jar of Eyeballs, Mazemind Tome, Phyrexian Portal, Endless Atlas, Treasure Map Flip, Azor's Gateway Flip, Journeyer's Kite, Thaumatic Compass Flip, Temple Bell, Liar's Pendulum, Bonder's Ornament, Eye of Yawgmoth, Icon of Ancestry, Phyrexian Grimoire and prolly a bunch more I missed.
Remember that when you play red you have access to cards like Faithless Looting, so just getting lands is fine.
Alternatively, theres always the option of just doubling down on Skullclamp and play equipment tutors to always have it, but if it were me I would try to utilize your cool commander ;)
Lastly, I noticed you run a lot of tapped lands. Since you are playing a heavy artifact deck, mana fixing actually becomes a lot less of an issue, so I would actually advise you to just run more basics. This deck should run totally fine with three plains or three mountains in your starting hand. But you lose a lot of tempo from playing Stone Quarry and friends.
Hope this helps, and good luck with the deck!
1 month ago
You just made be realize that they changed the subtype hound for dog, that's good to know! Thanks for that!
About the deck, you have way too many enchantments that do the same thing, you should swap some for instant spot removal instead like Heartless Act, Eliminate or even Mortify, but to be honest this doesn't look like the kind of deck that wants to run that much removal. You could run some other useful spells like Agonizing Remorse or maybe even a few Icon of Ancestry for extra power and to have something to do with excess mana.
An easy addition would be Call of the Death-Dweller to let you bring back multiple dogs from the graveyard at the same time, essentially giving you more dogs to "cast" with extra counters. Just make sure Kunoros, Hound of Athreos isn't on the battlefield when you use it. It would certainly give you more value on average than Revival / Revenge.
Parhelion II Seems completely out of place tbh.
I suppose you're trying to keep the deck budget friendly by playing only basics, but adding 4 Godless Shrine, and maybe a few Temple of Silence would help a lot. I would recommend also running some Castle Locthwain since you don't have anything else that lets you draw more cards. Again, Icon of Ancestry would help for that too.
Hopefully these suggestions are somewhat helpful, have fun with your Good Boy Tribal!
1 month ago
I am actually running a very similar deck to what you have here. Feel free to take a look at my build. These decks can be blast to run, and if left unchecked, can spell disaster for the table.
First off, I would look to fixing my ramp. My personal preference is focus on my land based ramp because in my playgroup's it is far safer then rocks, because there is very little land hate.
I do ran a few rocks in mine also, just for the fixing.
Also, I would replace the sphere with Wayfarer's Bauble because it does what the sphere does but better because it puts the land on the battlefield, not into your hand.
This one will be a personal choice but I would swap Dragon Arch for Quicksilver Amulet, because the amulet doesn't have the color restriction that the arch does. What happens if you're holding up say Ramos, or someone bounces your commander back to your hand, and you have the four mana open but you can't play either because either because they are colorless. It is nice to pay two and drop the The Ur-Dragon.
Also, if you can afford it Scourge of the Throne because double attack steps, with huge beaters, is always fun.
In a five color deck with an average CMC of almost 5 mana, you need to be able to get as many lands on the battlefield as you can, so that you can hopefully cast Morophon, the Boundless by turn 4 or 5.
Good luck, and happy playing :)