Black creature spells you cast cost less to cast.
Whenever you cast a creature spell, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
|Want (2)||ephemeralAubade , IzzyIsSKII|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bontu's Monument occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Bontu's Monument Discussion
1 week ago
16 lands is reeeeeallly low, even with the ramp in this deck. I would push it up to at least 18/20. Hazoret's Monument/Bontu's Monument can help with permanent cost reduction along with card filtering or some direct damage to close out the game. Shared Animosity could also go a long way here with the number of creatures you're attacking since they all share a type. Hope this helps.
1 week ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
2 weeks ago
Hello there, fellowr Syr Konrad player!
You could check my own Syr Konrad, the Grim's deck: For the Void to see how I went with him, why did I chose the cards I chosen and maybe you'll see some cards you might like too. Some feedback and upvote would be very appreciated aswell! :)
First things first, type CMDR behind "1x Syr Konrad, the Grim" in your decklist to specify him as a commander.
Second, I would probably avoid discard cards like: Mind Rot,Cavern Whisperer when its not discard focused deck.
Same would go with Underworld Dreams.. yes, it can punish some decks for their big card draws, but doesnt really fit the idea of the deck that well. But you could always add Peer into the Abyss which pairs with Underworld Dreams really well.
Next cut would probably be some creatures that doesnt really do much and other cards:
1) Barrow Witches - your only Knight is Syr Konrad, which you will 99.9% times cast from command zone anyway.
2) Feral Abomination - for 5/5 deathtouch is kinda meh, something that generates tokens would be much better, with so many creatures, cards like Pawn of Ulamog and Sifter of Skulls are nice budget options (even when token creature dies, it goes to graveyard -> triggering Syr Konrad's ability, then insantly vanishes).
3) Squelching Leeches - this can grow fairly big if you play for a lot of turns, but without anything that ramps your Swamps out quick, its just slow dumb creature.
4) Vampire Opportunist - its ability is really expensive just to drain 2 life.
5) Im sure you could replace much more creature for something more usefeul, either a card draw, removal, sacrifice outlets or more token generators. 6) Merciless Resolve is worse version of Altar's Reap, which is now worse than Village Rites.
7) Pharika's Libation - Im personally fan of this removal, just because your opponent can choose what to sacrifice. Feed the Swarm is definitely a better option.
8) Kaya's Ghostform - Kaya's Ghostform is okay, cheap protection for only one . You could add more protection, like: Malakir Rebirth Flip, which works even better, because its an instant speed "protection" and can also be used as a land if needed.
9) Evolving Wilds - no need to run this at all. You would be better to switch it either for an additional Swamp or some other utility land. Also Myriad Landscape is cheap budget option to ramp a bit, but its quite slow.
Some cards you could throw in:
1) Cabal Stronghold - budget version of Cabal Coffers, which can tap itself for and adds a decent number of black mana later on.
2) Crypt of Agadeem - with so many black creatures in your deck, this could ramp you a lot. Costs few dollars, but is definitely worth it in mono-black decks like yours.
3) Some mana rocks and spells to help you with ramp, so you won't fall behind that much should help for sure. There is plenty of mana rocks you could use, starting with Sol Ring/Mana Geode/Arcane Signet, also something like Bontu's Monument, Charcoal Diamond. There is also Culling the Weak/Dark Ritual/Cabal Ritual to give you some fast mana, on top of Bubbling Muck and Songs of the Damned. If you browse some other decks and the internet, you can find plenty of mono-black creatures and/or artifacts that can ramp your super fast.
4) Again, with so many creatures in your deck, try to get Morality Shift - which could easily take out all your opponents at once with Syr Konrad on Board. More creature returning spells from yor graveyard could be: Gravepurge/Forever Young and Death Denied. Gravepurge and Forever Young works even better with something like Bolas's Citadel, enabling you to cast those cheap creatures right away and possibly even sacrifice them, triggering Syr Konrad's at least twice each time.
5) In my opinion, super strong card like Tortured Existence. It can easily trigger Syr Konrad's twice, getting big creatures into your graveyard to reanimate them later, get cheap creatures back into your hand to re-cast them again, save some creatures from graveyard hate and works well with Desecrated Tomb. All that at instant speed, as many times as much you got to pay! And its really $cheap.
2 weeks ago
Everytime I look at ghoulcaller gissa, Im impressed by her ability to generate so many tokens so easily, even from her own 2/2 tokens.. I'm thinking about putting her in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck, just to make even more tokens, but its quite hard to find any free spot at this moment :D
Anyway, I know this is a budged deck, more or less, but why Ur-Golem's Eye? I would rather go with Sol Ring/Bontu's Monument or any other mana-cheaper manarock.
Armillary Sphere - in Gisa deck, Burnished Hart seems like a better option to me. You can either sac hart to Gisa to make two tokens or sac it to itself to fetch two basic lands if needed.
Hymn to Tourach - This honestly doesnt feel like it belongs too much in here, since its no discard focused deck. I would replace it with Village Rites, since you have plenty of creatures and tokens to sacrifice + Village Rites is instant for only one , strictly better Altar's Reap. Or Vile Rebirth to get rid off some annoying card if you play against some graveyard decks + makes you a 2/2 zombie token at instant speed for only one .
I think you might also cut like 2 lands, since you have plenty of cheap creatures, with few mana rocks and rituals anyway. Adding Feed the Swarm might also be pretty good, just as another creature removal or finally a good enchantment removal in black. Life loss is minor, since most enchantments are not mana-expensive anyway. It also gets better, if you would have Vilis, Broker of Blood on board.
Some higher-budget possible upgrades:
Thornbite Staff - Next to Gisa, this is another card that gets more and more interesting the more I look at it :D If you equip it to Gisa, then sac some creature to Gisa's ability, you can untap Gisa and sac another creature again.
Phyrexian Altar - more expensive card to get, but it goes to so many combos. Especially to the previous one with Thornbite Staff, which can make infinite etb/die triggers just with only one 2/2 creature and Gisa equipped with staff with Phyrexian Altar on board. Then add some aristocrat effect like Bastion of Remembrance and the game is over.
Grave Titan - costs few dollars, since it got reprinted in Mystery Booster Boxes and is also great friend to any reanimator, zombie tribal or simply Gisa deck for the absurd amount of tokens it can generate. Also goes infinite with Nim Deathmantle and Ashnod's Altar.
4 weeks ago
Thanks for the response! I like the idea of treasure keeper a lot. For the bolasses citadel, I just realized that u don't play Aetherflux Reservoir in your deck, so my mistake. When I was building garna, I thought of a more stormy/aristocrats way and play her with both Bontu's Monument and Hazoret's Monument, Thunderscape Familiar, Nightscape Familiar and Dark-Dweller Oracle it's a lot of fun to play, but in recent time I dumped a lot of weird things in the deck and am now rebuilding it. Ur take on the deck seems like a lot of fun, so i am gonna give it a try with a way more budget version :) Btw love the new commander legends card, hopefully I can get a hand onto one, without paying too much...
1 month ago
maybe some inexpensive black cards to try Sanguine Bond with Blood Tribute for extra points throw in Aetherflux Reservoir. as for death triggers and graveyard shenanigans Endless Obedience, along withWight of Precinct Sixand Grimoire of the Dead . for tokens can't beat Army of the Damned with Ayara, First of Lochthwain this can be deadly. you might wanna throw in a tutor or two Diabolic Tutor + Mastermind's Acquisition...last thoughts Bontu's Monument Throne of the God-Pharaoh...any way hope that helps ..happy shopping
1 month ago
Whip of Erebos -> Nightmare Shepherd The whip looks better than it actually is. I don't usually attack so the "lifelink" aspect is basically useless. The reanimation effect is too expensive, The Shepherd looks more efficient at what it is supposed to do.
Phyrexian Altar, Tombstone Stairwell -> Ashnod's Altar, Nim Deathmantle The point here is to include an infinite combo with creatures like Sengir Autocrat, Weaponcraft Enthusiast and Chittering Witch. Basically you can keep recasting the creature thanks to the Nim Deathmantle by sacrificing the tokens to the Ashnod's Altar. With a Blood Artist effect on the table is game over. Not the most efficient combo in here, but a solution that may become the backup plan.
This is the closest built from the final version of the deck i had in mind when i started building it. The last two changes would be Phyrexian Arena -> Necropotence and Necroskitter -> Contamination. I don't know If i want to get there because this deck looks pretty good imo as it is now.
2 months ago
Hey, good first draft version of Yahenni on a budget. Nice to see Skirsdag High Priest, underrated casual card in multiplayer Commander :)
Do you own the cards in the sideboard? If you do consider adding Grim Haruspex and Shadowspear to the main deck? Some advice for improvements is to expand on effects that make all your opponents sac a creature, more repeatable draw sources for when creatures die and more ramp.
Some cards to consider adding:
- Oathsworn Vampire: can cast it from your graveyard, combos with Bontu's Monument to drain your opponents for one . Also interacts with Yahenni + any aristocrat for .
- Buried Alive: tutor for and put three creatures into your graveyard who can reanimate/cast themselves from your graveyard.
- Bolas's Citadel: one of the most powerful mono black cards in Commander and you can take advantage of it having your Commander be a sac outlet with a repeatable draw source. If you see a land on top of your library and you don't have a land drop for the turn then you can sac a creature with Yahenni to draw the land. This potentially lets you cast more cards from the top with Citadel.
- Dark Prophecy: triggers when tokens you control die.
- Vona's Hunger
- Demon's Disciple
- Dreadhorde Invasion
- Crypt Ghast
- Bubbling Muck
- In Garruk's Wake
- Dark Ritual
- Culling the Weak
- Rogue's Passage: make Yahenni unblockable.
- Castle Locthwain and Witch's Cottage: budget utility lands for mono black.
My advice for cards to consider cutting are instant/sorcery removal spells and creatures that only kill one creature: Walk the Plank, Drag to the Underworld, Devour in Shadow, Morkrut Banshee, Skinrender, Gatekeeper of Malakir only kill one creature and they're not as good as Ravenous Chupacabra for the effect. You can get better value for Yahenni from more removal that hits all opponents.
Unless your using Altar of Dementia as an infinite combo to mill all your opponent's libraries in one turn then it's subpar as a sac outlet since not taking enough advantage of self-mill and repeatable opponent mill is risky in multiplayer Commander where graveyards are another resource for lots of decks. In my opinion repeatable draw is better here than repeatable self-mill. Skullclamp could replace Dementia as a comparable priced card with a better effect.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Barren Moor
- Desert of the Glorified
- Polluted Mire
- Mortician Beetle
- Walk the Plank
- Drag to the Underworld
- Devour in Shadow
- Morkrut Banshee
- Gatekeeper of Malakir
- Army of the Damned
- Altar of Dementia
- Avatar of Woe
- Murderous Rider
- Geralf's Messenger
Good luck with your deck.