Creature — Elf Lizard Wizard
When Frilled Mystic enters the battlefield, you may counter target spell.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Frilled Mystic occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Frilled Mystic Discussion
2 months ago
Ok, that clears up the pond much more, thank you.
In that case, some strictly good copy/clone targets include:
- Biovisionary: Simply giggily. No explanation necessary.
- Sphinx Ambassador: Being able to straight up steal creatures from your opponents' libraries for guessing a random creature is fun!
- Woodland Bellower & Fierce Empath: They grab each other, and can grab other creatures! Great for a more "toolbox" utility to your deck!
- Temur Sabertooth & Kogla, the Titan Ape: Stuck with a clone that is just not good enough? Well, these two beasties can reset those etb's!
- Deadeye Navigator & Peregrine Drake: Yes, of course, they combo. yay. However separately, they can be quite useful. Being able to reset Clone targets is always useful to have in the pocket. With the P Drake, you can net mana depending on the clone being used!
- Tishana, Voice of Thunder: She isn't the most mana effective way of drawing cards per se, but the value you can get off of her ETB is just bonkers.
- Frilled Mystic, Mystic Snake, & Venser, Shaper Savant: Beyond being just some nice control on a creature body, Venser can get around those sticky "Cannot be countered" spells!
- Bane of Progress & Reclamation Sage: Simply lovely Enchantment and artifact removal!
- Meteor Golem: need to blow up anything? Golem boi can handle that. (Insert Staples button here)
Let me know if any of these help at all!
5 months ago
I prefer having a card in the commandzone that just wins with infinite mana, making combofinishes easier, instead of a value engine that only benefits a small portion of the deck. Also, Yarok doesn't really add to the control potential of for example Frilled Mystic or Silumgar Sorcerer at all, first of which is a soft lock with enough cyclers. Tasigur brings those back and if i have enough cyclers, i don't even care what i get, as anything can be used as a counterspell.
I stumbled across the Escape Protocol-Lock in standard, played it, and think all it needs is a reliable card advantage engine like the one Tasigur provides to keep going. The one thing that should never happen to this deck is to run out of cards in hand - therefore, Tasigur is my pick.
5 months ago
Hello swarm intelligence,
I am working on a deck idea i had some weeks ago, a sultai deck using ETBs to control the board using cards like Sidisi's Faithful, Silumgar Sorcerer, Frilled Mystic, Acolyte of Affliction or Reclamation Sage together with Escape Protocol in a cycling shell.
The commander of the deck will be Tasigur, the Golden Fang.
As i have many different ETBs and i want to get as many of them as possible onto the battlefield, i want to include Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, also to be able to use them all at instant speed.
I know this deck will not be played at a competitive level, but i would like to include 1-2 combo lines with Yisan. As i have Tasigur, the Golden Fang, any infitite coloured mana combo would suffice (at least for a win at sorcery speed), one thought of mine was Peregrine Drake and Deadeye Navigator, but i hope you have some other and unique ideas i could include. Preferably, if possible, without any effect targeting a card in a graveyard, because i would like to run Ground Seal as a control piece.
I hope you can breathe some life into this idea of mine, be as creative and convoluted as you please, i am looking forward to it!
5 months ago
Playing a Blue Green deck focused around flashing in creatures and not using Frilled Mystic or Nightpack Ambusher seems very odd. Vivien's Arkbow is also an amazing card that lets you flash in creatures and dig for specific ones you need that should definitely be considered. Misty Rainforest is banned in the Pioneer format btw so you should just replace that with something else.
5 months ago
While I hate playing against counter-heavy decks, and probably shouldn't help them improve, I do have some ways to (hopefully) make the deck better:
As is, you're running too few lands, given the amount of 4-drops. Also, I'd play some amount of Rewind, as it lets you counter a spell AND play a threat on turn 4+.
Titanic Growth is underwhelming in flash decks. They just need to tempo out the opponent, which is best done with value creatures and bounce and/or counter spells.
Frilled Mystic is a great tempo play. If you up the land count, you should play all 4.
Hope that helps. Good luck with the deck!
6 months ago
7 months ago
draconos: Thanks for viewing! Generally speaking this deck wins by giving Animar Flying/Trample/Some form of evasion and winning through Commander damage. To say I have "alot of cheat into the battlefield effects" isn't really true. Three creatures with Cascade and Auspicious Starrix. You could argue Etali, Primal Storm as well, but on top of being a great body to Mutate, cheating cards into play from each players deck is definitely worth losing a Mutate proc. It has happened a few times where a creature I would've preferred to mutate was cheated into play, but definitely not so much that it's slowing me down. Being that the deck is more than 40% creatures I've not really had a problem ramping up Animar, either.
While perhaps I don't have the most powerful cards in the 99, this is my newest deck and will continue to get stronger over time, but to say not a lot of power is being made isn't really correct, either. Any of the higher cost Mutate creatures with Rhox, Hydroid Krasis, Etali, Primal Storm or even Majestic Myriarch can be a win condition.
7 months ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.