Creature — Elf Lizard Wizard
When Frilled Mystic enters the battlefield, you may counter target spell.
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance (RNA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Frilled Mystic occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.23%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Latest Decks as Commander
Frilled Mystic Discussion
1 week ago
1 month ago
draconos: Thanks for viewing! Generally speaking this deck wins by giving Animar Flying/Trample/Some form of evasion and winning through Commander damage. To say I have "alot of cheat into the battlefield effects" isn't really true. Three creatures with Cascade and Auspicious Starrix. You could argue Etali, Primal Storm as well, but on top of being a great body to Mutate, cheating cards into play from each players deck is definitely worth losing a Mutate proc. It has happened a few times where a creature I would've preferred to mutate was cheated into play, but definitely not so much that it's slowing me down. Being that the deck is more than 40% creatures I've not really had a problem ramping up Animar, either.
While perhaps I don't have the most powerful cards in the 99, this is my newest deck and will continue to get stronger over time, but to say not a lot of power is being made isn't really correct, either. Any of the higher cost Mutate creatures with Rhox, Hydroid Krasis, Etali, Primal Storm or even Majestic Myriarch can be a win condition.
1 month ago
Your average converted mana cost is low enough to go to 33 or 34 if you had mana dorks.
- Holdout Settlement and Survivors' Encampment are just Springleaf Drum on lands. These are reasonable, depending on how hard your game plans need Kalamax or not.
- Rashmi, Eternities Crafter: Rashmi is incremental advantage. You and both know that you are going to play cards on other people’s turns, so why not get free stuff for doing so? Wavebreak Hippocamp does the same thing if you want more of this effect.
- Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Elvish Mystic, Arbor Elf, Priest of Titania, Rattleclaw Mystic. I prefer creature-based ramp if I’m playing . Most of these cards will Pod into Corridor Monitor, Deceiver Exarch, and Pestermite.
- Spellseeker: Spellseeker grabs most of the instants and sorceries in your deck and more food for Prime Speaker
- Torrential Gearhulk: Snapcaster Mage #2 aka Fatcaster mage. The 5/6 body is nice for when games go longer than expected.
- Thing in the Ice
Flip: I noticed that you don’t have ways to protect yourself. If played earlier, you can flip Thing in the Ice and reset that battlefield. It was dumb in other formats, it’s dumb in EDH as well.
- Niv-Mizzet, Parun: End-game beater and a storm card. Not necessary but strong.
- Creature Tutors: Finale of Devastation, Eldritch Evolution, and Neoform. More tutors for consistency.
Instants and Sorceries
- Reality Shift and Rapid Hybridization: Good removal outside of and . Do you really care about a 3/3 beast or a 2/2 manifest token? I don’t……
- Manamorphose: Just a good cantrip in Temur.
- Swan Song: Another good counter spell, but you have that covered pretty well. Once again, no one cares about one 2/2 bird….no one…
- Reiterate: Goes infinite with Turnabout and Dramatic Reversal and or more mana. However, I think Isochron Scepter is just better if infinite mana is the goal.
- Nature's Lore: This is only and grabs any forest onto the battlefield. Most of the time, you are going to tutor for Forest, so why not grab Breeding Pool instead?
- Raging Ravine: Ok, it has your colors. Are you ever going to activate this man-land? Also, it comes in tapped. Gross….
- Arch of Orazca: I think Arch is better in decks that lack access to card draw. You’re in . Drawing cards, most of the time, is not going to be a problem for you.
- Frilled Mystic and Mystic Snake: I’ve fallen for this trap too. I don’t want to pay for a counterspell on a weak 2/2 body. Compare these two cards to other mana spells like Cryptic Command. This cards counters, protects, and draws cards. I prefer utility creatures with more flexibility.
1 month ago
Forgot to add in Capsize and Venser, Shaper Savant as win cons with infinite mana and infinite bounce (in regards to Venser). Bouncing everyone right out of the game. Also Venser is a good "counter spell", much like Mystic Snake and Frilled Mystic.
2 months ago
Cards that could help protect the combo:
There is also Spiketail Drake, which is counter unless you pay if you wanted to choke the resources of opponents.
There is also a stifle creature, but you have to cycle it, so I'm not sure that it's immediately useful. Nimble Obstructionist The cycle ability can't be countered, but it's still 3 mana.
Siren Stormtamer is probably the closest you're going to get. If someone targets you to draw a card, you put this in to play with Kinnan and stifle it.
To put some of these cards in, you could probably cut Arbor Elf, as it doesn't tap for mana. Maybe the Talisman of Curiosity as you already have a very well made ramp package though dorks and other artifacts.
3 months ago
I always thought Emerge decks that used Deep Fiend were way better at instant speed than not. I've only ever played Grixis and UR variants of Emerge (He's gone) so I have a somewhat different perspective on the deck, but I personally think one of the strengths of Emerge is its ability to play at instant speed, which lets you deal with threats efficiently with removal and counterspells like a control deck while still having access a potent win condition.
That being said, I can see one flaw in your list: you don't have enough interaction. While Emerge is a fairly powerful game plan, it can fold pretty quick to simple one-for-one removal or unrelenting board pressure from your opponent. As such, I feel like you might have more success if you played more interactive spells to play at instant speed and fewer creatures. For example, you could replace the Sylvan Caryatids with Growth Spiral, Merfolk Branchwalkers with Quench/Censor/Supreme Will, and Jadelight Rangers with Frilled Mystic. It might make Decimator a bit less powerful, but I think this way you won't be run over by aggro as easily and you'll have a better chance against Inverter and those types of decks. A creature package of just Uro, Brazen Borrower, Frilled Mystic, and Deep Fiend/Decimator would keep its power but cut some of the more in-between-tempo/aggro cards for cards that would help keep you alive as well as make the deck more flexible overall.
4 months ago
Version 2.0 Upgrade:-Enchanted Carriage, +Renegade Freighter // -Screaming Shield, +Bonesplitter // -Prophet of the Peak, +Signal Pest // -Inquisitive Puppet, +Cultivator's Caravan // -Mana Leak, +Opt // -Mortivore, +Gonti, Lord of Luxury // -Renata, Called to the Hunt, +Witchstalker // -Vigorspore Wurm, +Gaea's Revenge // -Vorstclaw, +Genesis Hydra // -Hurricane, +Elvish Mystic // -Khalni Heart Expedition, +Utopia Sprawl // -Aerial Assault, +Banishing Light // -Wild Griffin, +Cleansing Nova // -Light of the Legion, +Raise the Alarm // -Cloud Crusader, +Midnight Haunting // -Frilled Mystic, +Hydroid Krasis // -Conclave Cavalier, +Camaraderie // -Sumala Woodshaper, +March of the Multitudes // -Worldsoul Colossus, +Selesnya Charm. Lockets out, signets in.
4 months ago
Suggestions: Buffing green, ramp payoffs, some boardwipes and tokens. -Nylea's Forerunner, +Polukranos, World Eater // -Renata, Called to the Hunt, +Witchstalker // -Tishana's Wayfinder, +Prowling Serpopard // -Vigorspore Wurm, +Gaea's Revenge // -Vorstclaw, +Genesis Hydra // -Hurricane, +Elvish Mystic // -Khalni Heart Expedition, +Utopia Sprawl // -Aerial Assault, +Banishing Light // -Wild Griffin, +Cleansing Nova // -Light of the Legion, +Raise the Alarm // -Cloud Crusader, +Midnight Haunting // -Frilled Mystic, +Hydroid Krasis // -Conclave Cavalier, +Camaraderie // -Sumala Woodshaper, +March of the Multitudes // -Worldsoul Colossus, +Selesnya Charm // -Samut's Sprint, +Sweltering Suns // Lockets out, signets in.