|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Alara Reborn (ARB)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Mask of Riddles
Artifact — Equipment
Equipped creature has fear. (It can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or black creatures.)
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may draw a card.
Mask of Riddles Discussion
6 days ago
1 month ago
Love the deck tech and this is an archetype I have thought often of, though trying to do both artifacts and enchantments in a three-color format and not restrict your synergies can be tough. You're better off either going full enchantment or full artifact and then you'll be running a more streamlined, combotastic deck by doing so. I think you've gone heavier on the artifact side, or we'd be seeing more enchantment creatures from Theros and the Commander enchantment-creature precon and enchantment removal spells that combo with things like Blightcaster and Grim Guardian (which all combo with enchanting removal like Pacifism and Prison Realm and Dead Weight , etc.). To this artifact-heavy focus, I think Myr Retriever and Workshop Assistant are too redundant and provide only small bodies on the field when there are so many other cards that have this same effect already in the deck here ( Sharuum the Hegemon , Buried Ruin , etc.). Plus, without a sacrifice outlet, Workshop Assistant is definitely not the kind of card you want to be top-decking in situations where you've run out of steam. On the other hand, you may need more card draw rather than grave draw, since you don't self-mill, (especially if you're in a situation where Distant Melody is dead in your hand) and I think Mask of Riddles is an ideal sideboard/budget alternate for this deck. And is Ever-Watching Threshold in the pre-con? It should be. Faerie Mechanist comes to me as a distant budget option (because it only looks at the top 3 cards of your library, it's too limited to be truly useful since this deck also runs so many enchantments and creatures, but it's got tribal, flying, and it is an artifact as such is worth a mention). Finally, if you can make double-black mana work in your casting, Underworld Connections is card advantage that seems to be a staple of commander that also happens to trigger your commander. Sludge Strider can get you that life back on occasions where you have extra mana and are losing artifact creatures or sacrificing artifacts to effects (heck, even Dimir Locket and Orzhov Locket couldn't go wrong as cheap ramp that gets you card draw in the late game and triggers other effects). And take out the Winged Words from the 60-card precon, which gets you nowhere in a 100-card format, and put in at least a Terramorphic Expanse if you don't have access to better quality dual-lands. Campaign of Vengeance and Ethereal Absolution if you're really committed to going wide with your commander (I mean, with Etchings and Ethereal and your commander, you could have at least five or six 4/3 flying faeries threatening to go wider and wider). They could be protected from board wipes by an additional counterspell, like Stoic Rebuttal . I could go on and on, but definitely replace a few of the things in the precon with at least a few of these.
2 months ago
9 months ago
Yes! Finally, a Silumgar the Drifting Death deck. Palace Siege would be a flavourful and powerful inclusion in this deck. Living Death would be a good source of recursion in this deck. Painful Truths is a good source of card draw. Diabolic Tutor can help you search for the cards you need. A good land to include is River of Tears . Sign in Blood would also help you out. Mask of Riddles is also an include you could consider. Bitter Ordeal could also be fun.
Hope these suggestions help!
1 year ago
Thanks for your suggestions! Yes, I will definitely consider Etrata, but especially until I know whether I'll pull her from my bundle and what she'll cost as a single, I'll hold on to adding it (not to mention Tappedout probably won't recognise the card yet anyway).
As for the rest, I am careful about adding too many creatures which do nothing other than get through unblocked, as from playing the Ninja precon of the Planechase 2012 set, I've noticed the risk of getting stuck with just a lot of those is really daunting. As a result most of the 'ninja carriers' I have included have an additional effect, most either from leaving or entering play. Having said that, the Infiltrator might be a really good one to include as I have some very powerful pieces to tutor with its transmute once I have a satisfying amount of Ninjas on the field (Counterspell, Cyclonic Rift and Mask of Riddles to name just a few), so I will definitely consider that one.
1 year ago
Glad you like it!
In case of emergency I'll look for answers in my opponent libraries as mentioned above. ;)
1 year ago
So here are some suggestions, feel free to accept/ignore them as much as you want :).
1) I think the biggest issue your deck faces is that you are running a lot of cards that aren't terribly impactful in a 40 life, multiplayer format. For example, most of your card draw is either a one-off effect or tied to another spell that doesn't do a whole lot (i.e. Peppersmoke or Brainbite). I'd suggest adding card draw effects which either accumulate you more cards (i.e. Fact or Fiction, Stroke of Genius, etc.) or even better, are repeatable effects (i.e. Greed, Mystic Remora, Bident of Thassa, etc). Repeatable effects are key in EDH.
2) You are using a lot of spaces in your deck for effects that give your creatures evasion. I don't think you really need that much because most of your creatures already have evasive abilities. If you do want to devote some space however, there are much stronger options that you could consider like Whispersilk Cloak, Mask of Riddles, Sword of Feast and Famine and its siblings, Dauthi Embrace, Thassa, God of the Sea, Cloak and Dagger, etc.
3) Here is an obligatory promotion for Cyclonic Rift and Rite of Replication in any blue deck. Also, you probably want to run a couple more board wipes. Decree of Pain, Toxic Deluge, and Black Sun's Zenith are great. You also might want some more ramp. Talisman of Dominance, Sol Ring, Mind Stone, Hedron Archive, and Thaumatic Compass Flip are all really great options.
4) Alongside repeatable effects, flexible cards are extremely powerful in EDH. You are going tribal here, so a card like Vanquisher's Banner would be amazing. It boosts your tribe and provides card draw. Herald's Horn is another option.
5) I think you could be running a stronger removal package as well. Instead of running tap effects, why not just run straight kill spells like Hero's Downfall, Silence the Believers, Vraska's Contempt, Attrition, etc.?
Lastly, I'll leave you with my deck Pocket Sand. Feel free to take ideas from it. It isn't a rogue/faerie tribal deck and it plays a more political game than yours, but it is similar to your deck in that it likes to use small, evasive creatures to out value opponents to eventually win the game.
Good luck deck building! +1
P.S. Some of the cards that I suggested aren't very budget friendly, but there are tons of cheaper replacements that do almost the same thing.
1 year ago
I think an altar or two might be nice additions. Ashnod's Altar (or its more expensive counterpart Phyrexian Altar) and Altar of Dementia would be good fits here. Likewise Spawning Pit might be a good addition to both trigger Vela and give you more colorless creatures. These cards not only help trigger Vela, but they provide ramp and/or allow you to dictate when and how your creatures die.
Myr Retriever as a good sac target that recurs a better artifact.
I also would strongly suggest running Sword of Feast and Famine if you can afford it.
Mask of Riddles occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%