Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
Whenever enchanted creature deals combat damage to a player, you may sacrifice Mortal Obstinacy. If you do, destroy target enchantment.
4 months ago
Hello! May I step in to give you some recommendations? Since you're on a budget, all cards suggested are 2 dollars or less.
Part 1: Ramp
In: You probably want aura ramp and cost reducers over standard land ramp: Wild Growth, Transcendent Envoy, Hero of Iroas, Jukai Naturalist and Stenn, Paranoid Partisan (choosing Enchantment). These will allow you to storm through your deck casting Auras ad nauseam.
Part 2: Card draw
Just as important as ramp is card draw: Galea won't always be available to you.
Part 3: Removal
Swords to Plowshares is GREAT, no doubt. But, in this kind of deck, you can spice it up with the great Auras that has for removal.
The objective is, then, to use the cheapest Auras that can hit more than one permanent type, with emphasis on "loses its abilities" in the text box.
Part 4: Boardwipes
In: I believe you should run more boardwipes that leave your board mostly untouched. Austere Command is one such example. You almost always will clean all artifacts and the half of creatures that are more dangerous to you. Curse of the Swine is another selective wipe.
Part 5: Protection and Evasion
In Voltron, tempo is crucial.
- In: Negate and Delay are inconditional and cheap counters mana-wise.
- Out: Calculated Dismissal and Frilled Mystic aren't.
Now to the Auras:
- In: Spirit Mantle, Unquestioned Authority and Mask of Law and Grace are protection and evasion at the same time (protection also means it can't be blocked).
- Out: Favor of the Overbeing, Observant Alseid and Leafcrown Dryad.
Following the same logic as with removal, I'm using auras over instants to protect the Voltron.
- In: Shield of the Oversoul, Alpha Authority, Canopy Cover.
- Out: Benevolent Blessing, Shielding Plax, Karametra's Blessing. (I believe proactive protection goes miles farther than a reactive one.)
Part 6: Tutors
Part 7: Win Conditions
Out: Bruna, Light of Alabaster is slow and telegraphed in this build. People won't let her stick to the field. Nissa, Steward of Elements is tough to protect in a Voltron build, while she only offers scry, which your lands can already do.
Part 8: Lands
- You might consider more lands that fix your colors and manipulate the top of your library at will: Terramorphic Expanse, Temple of Plenty, Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Mystery, Cabaretti Courtyard, Brokers Hideout, Obscura Storefront, Naya Panorama, Esper Panorama.
- Rogue's Passage is great evasion on a land.
- Thriving Grove, Thriving Heath and Thriving Isle are neat fixing, but the Temples are superior since they play into Galea's strategy.
- Path of Ancestry is great if you're in a 5-color deck or in a tribal-heavy creature deck. This build is neither.
- Lumbering Falls is good for suiting Equipments on, but Auras will just go to the graveyard when this land stops being a creature.
- Azorius Chancery, because you don't run the other two bouncelands.
- Razorverge Thicket. You'll soon realize that the later turns are more important than the early ones in EDH. This land is a beast in Modern, but it is far from worth it in Commander unless you're playing a turn-3 win deck.
- Forest and Forest to give room for the two remaining Panoramas. (With all the land searching above, you're probably more likely now to have a target for Utopia Sprawl than before.)
- Seaside Citadel. I know, I know: tri-lands are great and all, but, in this build, I'm trying to bake the top-of-library manipulation into the manabase so you have more free spell slots for your Auras, similar to what I did with Yennett, Cryptic Oddity (to a great success): each land in it has to either enter untapped somehow or change the top card of the library.
If you read this far, congratulations! Here is the list of the deck with all the suggested alterations, in case you want to test it: Galea, Menacing Aura. Good luck and have fun!
2 years ago
Since you're playing Tireless Tribe , a couple copies of Whiteout plus snow basics seems like a shoe-in. Whiteout can let you just win the game out of nowhere, including on turn 2. Plus, it has some random utility in letting you block fliers with your ground guys in a pinch.
Honestly, I'm personally not a big fan of the oxen. Vanilla creatures with no additional upside get eaten alive in Pauper. Sure, they've got really big butts and will hit hard if all is going well, but if all is not going well, they're effectively doing nothing. Whereas, Trailblazer always has the threat to grow upon being targeted, and Tribe threatens to just win the game out of nowhere. I think those oxen slots would be much better served as something with added utility, even if they have smaller bodies. Heliod's Pilgrim comes to mind right off the bat. Plus, it'd allow you to have a small package of things to find in a pinch, such as a maindeck copy of Temporal Isolation , Cho-Manno's Blessing , or like a Mortal Obstinacy from the sideboard. Beyond that, Village Bell-Ringer seems like a decent option too, since it both can be flashed in unexpectedly and can allow your other creatures to block.
But that's all just my opinion. Carry on, my big butt friend.
2 years ago
Just to name a few
3 years ago
(Hope I'm not bothering too much by clogging up your comment & notification space)
Cloudstone Curio could, as usual, provide pretty good value here; each Aura you cast with Siona out lets you reuse another Aura and/or ETB creature. If that appeals you then you might want more CMC 1 Auras, One with Nature & Multani's Harmony seem decent of the ones left. Maybe even Mortal Obstinacy instead of Aura Mutation ?
3 years ago
There are a few budget options like which play to this strategy- cheap enchantments which draw a card and a bunch of enchantment matters stuff to throw at their face. The cards that make it tick are Ethereal Armor and All That Glitters . Creatures like Champion of the Flame , Favored Hoplite & Lagonna-Band Trailblazer help.
Cartouche of Solidarity offers protection against 'sacrifice a creature' effects. Gleam of Authority can work alongside counters from heroic, but likes a higher creature count than ideal. If you insist on playing reckoner, Saving Grace exists. Hammerhands/ Cartouche of Zeal has eight functional copies if you often face single blockers, but Gryff's Boon offers flying and recursion. Consuming Fervor has a great rate for a pump spell.
Have fun and happy brewing!
4 years ago
Podkomorka: On the enchantments suggested: I have really found many more pacifism effects to be really meh, especcially at threee mana. I have found that whenever playing against a cPDH deck, I don't need that sort of effect because most of the combat oriented commanders lose to a protection from URBG wall with lifelink, so I have been slowly cutting them. I have really been wavering on Gelid S, because of the mana requirements, but your recommendation might push it over the edge. Crown of Awe was originally in the deck, then I cut it, but i should re-add it probably. The DoD player is getting more aggresive tutoring for removal before Tallowisp is online.
On to the cuts, pretty much every spirit under 4 mana is included, no matter how bad jusy because of the tutor effect and how badly I need to have protection from URBG by turn 4. Mortal Obstinacy is neccisary beccause every game my plagroup has a turn 3-ish Rhystic Study , probably because of DoD. This gives me a consistent answer, while also allowing me to destroy harmful white enchantment-based removal. Armillary Sphere probably should go, I have some sentimental attachments, but I will cut it in the name of cPDH. Chosen by Heliod is also borderline, I like the draws, but it's been unimpressive.
I can defenatly see adding more Auramancer type cards , and thanks with the help!
4 years ago
I'd make room for:
- Gelid Shackles (and run all snow plains)
- Bonds of Faith (if it's a human just tutor a different one)
- Compulsory Rest (its fine)
- Crown of Awe (backup)
- Luminous Bonds (pacifism is strong even at 3cmc)
- Revoke Privileges (^)
- Bound in Silence (^^)
- Caught in the Brights (^^^)
.. by taking out:
- Mortal Obstinacy (very meh, even for removal)
- Lifelink (nice but not needed at the most competitive place, which you're going for)
- Empyrial Armor (ethereal armor and some others are enough, just extra)
- Chosen by Heliod (cantrip is not worth tutoring for this meh)
- Armillary Sphere (is only used for colorfixing in decks with lots of colors and no green)
- Apothecary Geist (I understand you need tutor triggers but you've got plenty and this is your worst spirit)
- Shinen of Stars' Light (meh)
- Kami of Ancient Law (meh)
4 years ago
Hey, I'm an experienced Tiana pilot and would love to help! ( my deck link here ).
The first thing I would change is Wrath of God and Blasphemous Act because creature-only board wipes destroy the creatures, then the auras, so Tiana won't trigger for any of your auras. But board wipes like Hour of Revelation , Day of Reckoning, End Hostilities , Nevinyrral's Disk , Cataclysmic Gearhulk , Tragic Arrogance etc would make Tiana trigger on your auras. You could put in Auratog or Faith Healer so you respond to creature-only board wipes, or put in indestructible stuff like Hammer of Nazahn , Shielded by Faith , Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip etc.
Bludgeon Brawl has cool synergy with Tiana, because if Vandalblast , Scrap Mastery , Hour of Revelation etc are cast, then Tiana will trigger on your artifacts too. And if you include this, consider adding artifacts that sacrifice themselves like Unstable Obelisk , Commander's Sphere , Boros Locket , Boros Cluestone , Orazca Relic .
Along with self-sacrificing artifacts, I loved the idea of self-sacrificing auras and recycling them over and over with Tiana, especially with Sigil of the Empty Throne or Ajani's Chosen on the battlefield. Auras like Capashen Standard , Mortal Obstinacy , Flamespeaker's Will , Brand of Ill Omen , Sun Clasp , Weight of Conscience , Bound by Moonsilver , Lunarch Mantle , Uncontrolled Infestation , Inferno Fist , Guilty Conscience etc.
Other than the aforementioned cards, I'll also mention Mistmeadow Skulk which dodges board wipes, the new Swiftblade Vindicator and Smothering Tithe , Fabled Hero and other heroic cards that benefit from the aura recycling, Forgeborn Oreads and Scroll of the Masters and Mesa Enchantress for the aura recycling, Ethereal Armor , Helm of the Gods , Heavenly Blademaster , Laccolith Rig is stupid but fun, Heirloom Blade because RW sucks at draw (except this deck if you add auras that draw).
If I wanted to cut some cards from your deck, I would start with Order since it's 4 mana for a really narrow removal spell, and 3 mana to do something that odric or angelic skirmisher do (which is creatures so can be brought back into the game easier). Kwende, Pride of Femeref is essentially a 4/4 for 4 mana and is only useful for Tiana. Kitsune Mystic isn't needed with all the sacrificing and such. Authority of the Consuls and Godsend and Basilisk Collar isn't that impactful for an aggro strategy. Whispersilk Cloak gives shroud which isn't the best for a deck all about auras and equipment. Chariot of Victory isn't that good and doesn't add any power. And I would take out as many tapped lands as you don't mind, they slow down decks way too much, add Battlefield Forge .
Hope this helps makes your deck stronger!