Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Hero of Iroas
Creature — Human Soldier
Aura spells you cast cost less to cast.
Heroic — Whenever you cast a spell that targets Hero of Iroas, put a +1/+1 counter on Hero of Iroas.
7 months ago
Hello! May I step in to give you some recommendations? Since you're on a budget, all cards suggested are 2 dollars or less.
Part 1: Ramp
In: You probably want aura ramp and cost reducers over standard land ramp: Wild Growth, Transcendent Envoy, Hero of Iroas, Jukai Naturalist and Stenn, Paranoid Partisan (choosing Enchantment). These will allow you to storm through your deck casting Auras ad nauseam.
Part 2: Card draw
Just as important as ramp is card draw: Galea won't always be available to you.
Part 3: Removal
Swords to Plowshares is GREAT, no doubt. But, in this kind of deck, you can spice it up with the great Auras that has for removal.
The objective is, then, to use the cheapest Auras that can hit more than one permanent type, with emphasis on "loses its abilities" in the text box.
Part 4: Boardwipes
In: I believe you should run more boardwipes that leave your board mostly untouched. Austere Command is one such example. You almost always will clean all artifacts and the half of creatures that are more dangerous to you. Curse of the Swine is another selective wipe.
Part 5: Protection and Evasion
In Voltron, tempo is crucial.
- In: Negate and Delay are inconditional and cheap counters mana-wise.
- Out: Calculated Dismissal and Frilled Mystic aren't.
Now to the Auras:
- In: Spirit Mantle, Unquestioned Authority and Mask of Law and Grace are protection and evasion at the same time (protection also means it can't be blocked).
- Out: Favor of the Overbeing, Observant Alseid and Leafcrown Dryad.
Following the same logic as with removal, I'm using auras over instants to protect the Voltron.
- In: Shield of the Oversoul, Alpha Authority, Canopy Cover.
- Out: Benevolent Blessing, Shielding Plax, Karametra's Blessing. (I believe proactive protection goes miles farther than a reactive one.)
Part 6: Tutors
Part 7: Win Conditions
Out: Bruna, Light of Alabaster is slow and telegraphed in this build. People won't let her stick to the field. Nissa, Steward of Elements is tough to protect in a Voltron build, while she only offers scry, which your lands can already do.
Part 8: Lands
- You might consider more lands that fix your colors and manipulate the top of your library at will: Terramorphic Expanse, Temple of Plenty, Temple of Enlightenment, Temple of Mystery, Cabaretti Courtyard, Brokers Hideout, Obscura Storefront, Naya Panorama, Esper Panorama.
- Rogue's Passage is great evasion on a land.
- Thriving Grove, Thriving Heath and Thriving Isle are neat fixing, but the Temples are superior since they play into Galea's strategy.
- Path of Ancestry is great if you're in a 5-color deck or in a tribal-heavy creature deck. This build is neither.
- Lumbering Falls is good for suiting Equipments on, but Auras will just go to the graveyard when this land stops being a creature.
- Azorius Chancery, because you don't run the other two bouncelands.
- Razorverge Thicket. You'll soon realize that the later turns are more important than the early ones in EDH. This land is a beast in Modern, but it is far from worth it in Commander unless you're playing a turn-3 win deck.
- Forest and Forest to give room for the two remaining Panoramas. (With all the land searching above, you're probably more likely now to have a target for Utopia Sprawl than before.)
- Seaside Citadel. I know, I know: tri-lands are great and all, but, in this build, I'm trying to bake the top-of-library manipulation into the manabase so you have more free spell slots for your Auras, similar to what I did with Yennett, Cryptic Oddity (to a great success): each land in it has to either enter untapped somehow or change the top card of the library.
If you read this far, congratulations! Here is the list of the deck with all the suggested alterations, in case you want to test it: Galea, Menacing Aura. Good luck and have fun!
11 months ago
Hey Lillibritches! Number 1 Piece of advice: add Hall of Heliod's Generosity
I've been working on a curse deck for years. I created a vampire curse deck six years ago Cursing vampires, then completely overhauled it twice and have been working on a b/w control version for the past two years (url because I can't seem to get the internal link to work for it) https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nymphrodells-modern-curses-1/. I am curious as to why you have two copies of most of the curses you are playing. It looks like you're trying to hard cast 7 and 8 mana spells in modern... which just isn't feasible, even with Accursed Witch Flip transformed. If you're worried about your curses being removed and not having more copies, Hall of Heliod's Generosity gives you a way to retrieve them.
Speaking of her, she is far too slow and clunky. You have to either draw a removal spell (which you only have two copies of) and use it on her, or wait for your opponent to kill her (which they won't do if they're playing carefully). Either way you have to wait until turn 5 at the earliest to pay 1 less mana for your curses. Which sounds great, except you've probably spent mana to kill her so you actually can't cast a meaningful curse that you wouldn't've been able to without Accursed Witch Flip in the first place. If you want a card that reduces the mana cost of your curses, I would suggest Hero of Iroas, though I am still unconvinced on its reliability it is much more reliable than Accursed Witch Flip.
I hope my advice helps!
11 months ago
15 lands is waaaay too low. As reference, Burn decks play 19 lands, and run almost entirely 1-mana spells (and certainly nothing over 2 mana). While your curve is low, you are still heavility reliant on playing a second land - imo you need to go up to at least 20-21 lands.
Accorder's Shield doesn't look like it does anything to help your gameplan here.
I'm quite worried about your enchantment plan for triggering heroic. Them all being at sorcery speed is kindof just waiting for your opponent to respond to a cast and blow-you-out the water. But also with many of them being 2 mana, they're going to create clumsy turns where you can't buff your crew as much as you could (yes I know you have Hero of Iroas, but you can't reliably draw him). I would imagine the top priorities for triggering heroic should be 1-mana spells that are instant speed.
Your deck has almost no ways to interact with your opponent outside of Path to Exile. That's a really dangerous place to be, and will often mean you'll be in trouble against any other aggro, midrange, or combo deck (all of which are likely to be faster). I'd really suggest running a bit more interaction.
1 year ago
Kor Spiritdancer a better shram in the deck id run both
Eidolon of Countless Battles + for each aura
Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist moves auras especially for faith fetter type effects
Heliod's Pilgrim aura tutor
Boonweaver Giant aura tutor onto a body
Umbra Mystic Totem armor effects in general are good. One of the recent precons was aura based id look at that one for ideas!
Nomad Mythmaker recursion
Skybind interesting flicker effect for enchantment perms with sigardas aid out you can blink your lands to cast more auras next opponents turn. or flicker tokens etb creature ect.
Mistveil Plains return auras to re tutor for with your commander.
Homeward Path vultron doesn't like opponents taking their toys
Lost Leonin Infect if you choose is an option here is one to look at.
Flickerform Decent especially if you run auras that etb draw
Hero of Iroas cost reducer that gets a benefit when targeted.
Faith Unbroken removal aura
Sage's Reverie HIGHLY suggested card draw and powerful aura
2 years ago
2 years ago
Strive is an excellent way to ensure you're not missing out on heroic triggers on your other creatures when spells inevitably get diverted to Phalanx Leader . Launch the Fleet and Ajani's Presence are the best two options in white. If you don't mind running nonhumans, Vanguard of Brimaz and Tethmos High Priest could make Fight as One viable instead. More generic instant/sorceries could be Gird for Battle , Hope and Glory , and Tandem Tactics . Finally, if you prefer the Hero of Iroas , Kor Spiritdancer type of play, Spirit Mantle + Daybreak Coronet is a great way to push damage and Karametra's Blessing is a nice trick.
3 years ago
Neat build! Although, you're running into the same problem I did with my Mono-White Aura Deck using Hero of Iroas and that's that his Aura reduction isn't helping you at all using 1-mana Auras (as is preferable with these types of builds I've found).
If you don't need his Aura reduction, then Phalanx Leader offers a MUCH better Heroic ability trigger...literally the same as Hero except it hits all creatures you control.
You can take a peek at my deck build if you want further suggestions, but I've found Hero not to be really worth it ultimately. As it stands now you've only got 2x Unflinching Courage and 2x Bear Umbra that he'll even work on to reduce costs, and neither of those is particularly high cost to begin with.
Take a look Here: Intense Aura Beatdown (with Infinite Defense!)
Just my 2 cents - good luck!
3 years ago
Alright, I think Colossification and Eldrazi Conscription are fun, but they just feel too "win-more" to me. Keep in mind annihilator isn't all that great cause opponents get to decide what they sacrifice. With all the card draw you have you'll easily be able to use up to 8 mana a turn, and I think casting auras that make your plan bullet-proof rather than silver-bullet are better.
Also, I think Danitha Capashen, Paragon and Hero of Iroas are very good, but weaker links in this deck that's full of stars. Unlike the other two creatures, they only reduce the cost of enchantments, and it's possible their spot would be better filled by other cards... idk though, I do see the value in them so I don't know if you should take them out.
Lastly what about adding Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx? I know it's a 3-color deck but with all the permanents it has, I'm sure you could get some extra mana out of it- even better with Bear Umbra and Sword of Feast and Famine.