|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander Anthology 2018 (CM2)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Elves vs. Inventors (DDU)||None|
|Commander 2014 (C14)||Rare|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Goblin Artificer
: Choose target artifact a player controls and target artifact card in that player's graveyard. If both targets are still legal as this ability resolves, that player simultaneously sacrifices the artifact and returns the artifact card to the battlefield.
Goblin Welder Discussion
1 week ago
I recommend Liquimetal Coating with Goblin Welder , Clock of Omens on the field and Myr Battlesphere in the grave allows you make infinite 1/1s, infinite recur of any artifacts you have and infinite untap of any artifacts you have and with Grinding Station it's really good. I've started using Metalwork Colossus as it's usually a 4 mana 10/10 that can save your artifacts from exile!
1 week ago
Hey, looks good, nice upgrade so far of the precon :)
$50 upgrade to consider (the main theme of these upgrades are cards that give you repeatable value)
- Tezzeret the Seeker : repeatable artifact untap, tutor/put artifact you search for onto the battlefield and can be a win condition with artifacts. Tezz is the most expensive price card I'm suggesting, but he really does it all for artifact strategies.
- Daretti, Scrap Savant : repeatable draw/graveyard enabler/artifact reanimation, sac a Thopter/Servo to reanimate an artifact.
- Inventors' Fair : artifact tutor and life gain.
- Spire of Industry : rainbow land with an artifact or can make colorless mana.
- Great Furnace : red artifact land.
- Shivan Reef : Izzet Pain land, ETB untapped.
- Ash Barrens : basic landcycling or can ETB untapped to make colorless mana.
- Kuldotha Forgemaster : repeatable artifact tutor, sac Thopters/Servos to tutor for and put onto the battlefield an artifact.
- Sai, Master Thopterist : great repeatable value when casting artifacts, more draw with Thopters/Servos.
- Shimmer Myr : cast artifacts at instant speed, great with Unwinding Clock.
- Padeem, Consul of Innovation : protect artifacts from targeted removal and can be repeatable draw.
- Goblin Welder : instant speed repeatable artifact reanimation, sac a Thopter/Servo to reanimate an artifact.
- Treasure Mage : lots of good six or more CMC artifacts to tutor for.
- Memnarch : mana sink, turn your opponents permanents into artifacts and steal them.
- Bosh, Iron Golem : mana sink, sac artifacts you control to do damage to your opponents.
- Metalwork Colossus : good with Bosh since it can be recurred.
- Spine of Ish Sah : permanent removal, good with Bosh since when it dies it goes back to your hand.
- Nevinyrral's Disk : repeatable mass removal that's good with Planeswalkers since it doesn't kill them, can be reanimated or recurred since it's an artifact.
- Sharding Sphinx : army in a can with Thopters/Servos.
- Silver Myr
- Iron Myr
- Basalt Monolith : good with Tezzeret and Unwinding Clock.
- Hedron Archive : same as Monolith, but also sac to draw.
- Mystic Remora : one of the best sources of no mana cost repeatable draw in multiplayer Commander.
- Brainstorm : instant draw three for one mana.
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Hey, you could upgrade the mana rocks that you're already playing? All except Sol Ring and Monolith of course. All the rocks I suggested ETB untapped. Dragon's Hoard for instance for the same mana cost has much more repeatable value than Vessel of Endless Rest . Hoard is both a mana rock and a draw engine. Mind Stone also has more value then Fire Diamond because Stone ETB untapped and can be sac to draw later on when you don't need ramp.
The mana rocks you play don't have to make red mana, it would nice if they did, but they don't have to because there's 31 Mountains here. Red mana is not a problem; the rocks just need to be able to make mana, colorless mana, for ramp to get Zirilan or another Dragon onto the battlefield faster. There's a lot of high CMC Dragons here; if Zirilan gets stuck in the Command Zone due to Commander cost or disrupted and you're unable to use his ability to cheat Dragons onto the battlefield then you want a backup plan to be able to cast Dragons. Mana rocks for ramp is a good backup plan. Semi-budget rocks such as Thran Dynamo and Gilded Lotus are good when playing lots of high CMC cards.
Cards like Mishra's Bauble and Urza's Bauble are fine, but I think they would be better as mana rocks. Blood Frenzy and Volcanic Offering are okay, but they're a one time shot spell and as a one time use they lose a lot of playability. One time effects from cards like Chaos Warp and Gamble are worth it because these effects for the mana cost are unique in red/powerful for red. Fling is fine if you have ways to repeatably cast it, but as a one time effect with only one Dragon it's very lackluster.
Consider Goblin Welder ? Welder, Feldon of the Third Path and Steel Hellkite have great interaction because Hellkite is an artifact Dragon. The tokens that Feldon creates are artifacts you can use one of these artifact creature tokens at instant speed with Welder to sac it to reanimate Hellkite or any other artifact. Welder can also be a way to reanimate an artifact sac/tuck outlet which you need on the battlefield otherwise the Dragon you cheat into play with Zirilan will be exiled end of your turn. Welder also helps to assemble the Monolith + Rings artifact combo. Solemn Simulacrum is very good with Welder and Feldon because he's an artifact who gives you value when he ETB and when he dies.
Cards like Welder and Feldon can benefit from cards that can put other cards into your graveyard. Consider adding Daretti, Scrap Savant , Faithless Looting and Gamble? Daretti is repeatable draw/graveyard enabler/reanimate artifact. Consider Tel-Jilad Stylus ? The most mana cost effective way to tuck a Dragon back into your library. Artifacts are honestly just as important for your deck's strategy then Dragons are.
Cards to consider adding:
- Dragon's Hoard
- Mind Stone
- Fellwar Stone or Everflowing Chalice
- Thran Dynamo or Gilded Lotus
- Goblin Welder
- Daretti, Scrap Savant
- Faithless Looting
- Tel-Jilad Stylus
Cards to consider cutting:
- Fire Diamond
- Vessel of Endless Rest
- Mishra's Bauble
- Urza's Bauble
- Blood Frenzy
- Volcanic Offering
- Whispersilk Cloak
- Voyager Staff
2 weeks ago
The first thing I think of looking at this new card is reanimator. The next thing I thought was "damn, why couldn't he be in Rakdos?" But anyway....
To me, he could really run well with Daretti, Scrap Savant , being a more efficient way of pitching more artifacts and drawing more cards. What I'm wrestling with is whether he is strong enough to run as the Commander, or in the 99 alongside Daretti or even Feldon of the Third Path . He just screams to pitch artifacts and then cast Scrap Mastery or start digging with Goblin Welder and Daretti.
Here's the drawback I see with him. Its hard to draw cards consistently and keep a full grip in mono red. At 4 CMC, you can get him out early, by turn 2 or 3, depending on how aggressively you can ramp (or what you ramp you can afford). Red does rummage really well, but even then, you are trading cards for cards, and not really gaining much. The Wheel effects will be really helpful once a hand runs dry. I would recommend running Book of Rass as another card draw option, and perhaps a Howling Mine as well.
I think you've got something good started here. Let us know how it plays out for you. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this deck grows.
3 weeks ago
@Austin_Smith_of_Cards I guess you're right about Ral. I figured he'd be decent card draw with his first ability and putting things in the graveyard wasn't terrible because I do have several pieces of recursion but I hadn't really thought about how bad his other 2 abilities really are. Until now having it written out in front of me I hadn't really counted how many instants and sorcery cards I had.
I had been looking at Magnifying Glass as well. I figured it was one of my weaker options but I liked that it also made clues (which helps up my artifact count) and those clues added to my card draw. So, I kind of looked at it as pulling double duty.
Do you really think Mycosynth Wellspring isn't worth it? I guess I don't have a ton of ways to sacrifice it but I feel like it's a good when using Trash for Treasure , Scrap Mastery , Goblin Welder , Kuldotha Forgemaster , and Daretti, Scrap Savant . It also is good to bring back with Myr Retriever , Junk Diver , and Scrap Trawler . Is it just that this isn't enough options, or are these just too narrow of circumstances?
What are your opinions of Vedalken Orrery ? I know giving my spells flash is good, but is it worth it in this deck? I always want to use it but I feel like it's always one of the last cuts I make in most decks, but I was hoping it'd have more value in an artifacts matters deck.
4 weeks ago
ubermaan, Although Soldevi Digger and Reito Lantern aren't creatures, they offer the same utility as Epitaph Golem which, will allow you to use their abilities multiple times/turn (since they don't require tapping as part of the cost). I used to run a creature heavy Grenzo deck and the amount of work those cards can do for the build is absolutely incredible. Pair them with a Scry effect and you'll be able to move creatures down to the bottom with ease.
A good option to help you fish Artifacts out of the graveyard would be Goblin Welder . That way if you do get unlucky and accidentally toss one of them off of a blind use of Grenzo's ability, at least you'll have a chance to get it back.
1 month ago
Yeah building 4 colours suck. This build sticks to the theme of colored artifacts and/or artificers so I cut a lot of good stuff cards not related to this. Goblin Welder , Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer and Daretti, Scrap Savant are pretty good. I should probably include the B/R version of Daretti.
Goblin Welder occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.04%