|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Amonkhet Invocations (AKHMPS)||Common|
|Eternal Masters (EMA)||Uncommon|
|Vintage Masters (VMA)||Common|
|Premium Deck Series: Fire and Lightning (PFL)||Common|
|Masters Edition III (ME3)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Chain Lightning deals 3 damage to target creature, planeswalker or player. Then that player or that creature's controller may pay . If the player does, he or she may copy this spell and may choose a new target for that copy.
Chain Lightning Discussion
1 month ago
With Modern Horizons... on the Horizon, what cards would you like to see printed into Modern for the first time? What new cards would you like to see?
I love burn so it would make my heart soar to see Chain Lightning , Fireblast or Price of Progress become modern legal. I imagine that Fireblast has a next to 0 chance of being in the set while the other two seem likely. Chain Lightning might not be in the set but I am confident that Price of Progress will be. Such a lovely card and a wonderful weapon for mono red burn decks. It would give burn specific strategies some serious gas but wouldn't break the 0 mana rule or be another cheap spell for Phoenix and Delver decks.
As for original cards I would like to see a land at common that has the ability to tap, sacrifice and pay 1 life to fetch a basic land.
A card like that would dramatically change the price point for players playing modern and legacy decks that are a single color.
1 month ago
After playing last night, I get the feeling that the deck is being pulled into too many different directions. My advice is to lean into the cantrip effects while protecting Feather and the other creatures, and try to win through combat as soon as possible. I think that the token subtheme is solid, but I'd chuck the redirect shenanigans. It would make for a good laugh when/if it finally goes off, but the combo is too fragile, too expensive, and takes up way too many card slots.
My suggestions (in no particular order):
- Gods Willing - Card draw/protection
- Balduvian Rage - Card draw/damage (potentially lethal)
- Niveous Wisps - Card draw/tap down a big creature if you sense that it will be coming at you next combat
- Panic - Card draw/get through a blocker
- Rile - Card draw/trample
- Chaos Warp - Turn tokens into value or deal with an enemy threat
- Samut's Sprint - Set up a card draw with the scry/more damage
- Shelter - Card draw/protection
- Vanguard of Brimaz - Token generation
- Boros Charm - Will likely be used to protect your board state, but could also be used to finish off an opponent(s)
- Aurelia's Fury - Can be abused repeatedly by just pinging one of your creatures/can be used as a finisher
- Seize the Day - Repeatable extra combats
- Ajani's Presence - Protection
- Balefire Liege - Lifegain and extra damage while buffing your creatures
- Iroas, God of Victory - Menace and damage prevention when you're swinging. Definitely.
- Titan's Strength - More damage/Scry to set up card draw
- Valorous Stance - Protection/Destroy an enemy threat
- Guided Strike - Card draw/might be able to first strike surprise someone
- Temur Battle Rage - Finisher
- Accelerate - Card draw/haste
- Grapeshot - You'll be casting enough cheap spells that this could be a finisher
- Swiftfoot Boots - Feather is key to the strategy, so hexproof is going to be very useful. I wouldn't bother with Lightning Greaves though.
- Aetherflux Reservoir - Definitely. Lifegain and one-shotting an opponent.
- Fellwar Stone - R/W are the two least played, so you may have more trouble getting what you want, but more mana is rarely bad.
- Darksteel Ingot - Colored mana rock
- Purphoros, God of the Forge - On the fence with this one, but I think you have enough token generation to warrant him.
- Twinflame - Multiple Heroic trigger and synergizes well with Purphoros
- Spawning Breath - Puke up tokens for ramp/Purph triggers. Bonus points if you proc Heroic.
- Assemble the Legion - Another iffy card that I'd probably only run with the Purph package. It pretty much has to be answered or it will get out of control, but it takes time.
- Skullclamp - Plenty of tokens to draw cards off of. May already have enough card draw, if there is such a thing. Test to find out.
- Bathe in Light - Protection for likely many of your creatures, but no card draw, and it doesn't protect against board wipes.
- Grand Abolisher - We aren't a particularly counter-heavy meta, but I think this might warrant an include to protect from getting hit with a 2-for-1 destroy spell in response to your targeting your creature with a spell. This deck will be reliant on swinging hard every turn.
- Duergar Hedge-Mage - We have a pretty enchantment/artifact heavy meta, but if you are fast enough, it may not matter.
- Runaway Steam-Kin - Useful for storing up some red mana for those X spells, but there aren't many in the deck currently.
- Vandalblast - cough Meta cough
- Soul's Fire - Good way to finish someone off, if you can't get through easily. Might not be necessary.
- Emerge Unscathed - Protection. The free cast is nice, but lacks the card draw.
- Sentinel Tower - Iffy on this one, but I think you'll cast enough spells to make this valuable.
- Graceful Reprieve - ETB triggers/"Protection". Definitely better than Gift of Immortality in this deck, but you should be able to keep your creatures alive without needing this.
- Teferi's Protection - Dodging boardwipes is useful, but this may be unnecessary. No way of abusing Feather's ability here.
- Gilded Lotus - Colored mana rock, but with such a low average CMC, this may not be necessary relative to the cost.
- Fell the Mighty - Board wipe that will let you keep at least something of yours. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Austere Command - Value city. Likely to be used to wipe other threats while keeping your own. Test to see if it is necessary. You may be able to outpace opponents without it.
- Chandra's Ignition - paired with one of the spells that give protection or indestructible, and targeting a heavy hitter, you can wipe everyone else's creatures and keep your own. Might be too heavy-handed, but probably worth testing.
- Bandage - Card draw/possible protection. The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Heal - Card draw/possible protection The protection seems a bit weak, so I'd only add it, if you feel that you're stalling out on card draw.
- Crowd's Favor - Not sure that it does enough to warrant a card slot, especially without drawing you a card.
- Galvanic Blast - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Liberate - Currently, the only ETB effects in the deck are Captain of the Watch and Stuffy Doll 's choose a player clause, both of which I would recommend cutting. It would synergize with the Purph package, but even still I'm not sure it warrants a spot, given all the protection you already have.
- Lightning Bolt - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Lightning Strike - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Magnetic Theft - There are currently only two equipments in the deck, and you're unlikely to face too many equipments in our meta, since your decks make up most of the equipment in said meta.
- Shock - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Authority of the Consuls - The small amount of lifegain is unlikely to be needed. The hatebear effect is too easy to play around.
- Gift of Immortality - This card doesn't synergize with much of anything. You're better off running protection spells that Feather can return to your hand.
- Guilty Conscience - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Indestructibility - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Pariah - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Shielded by Faith - With as many instants that give a creature indestructible, this card seems unnecessary and only serves to slow the deck down.
- Boros Reckoner - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Captain of the Watch - There are only 3 other soldiers in the deck. She might (barely) make the cut, if you had Purphoros, but I'd likely still cut her.
- Coalhauler Swine - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fabled Hero - Basically, just a beater. I'd much rather proc the other Heroic triggers in order to get tokens to protect against forced sacrifice effects.
- Firesong and Sunspeaker - You have 1 white spell that can trigger this, and that is if you swords your own creature. You have 6 (cut to 2 with these suggestions) red spells that will gain you life. Using Blasphemous Act to gain a bunch of life is neat, but lifegain in Commander is often negligible due to commander damage, and with so few ways of actually triggering this card at all, it definitely doesn't make the cut.
- Stuffy Doll - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Truefire Captain - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Fire Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Marble Diamond - Not terrible when you get it early, but coming in tapped is going to feel bad when you need the mana that turn.
- Pariah's Shield - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
- Pearl Medallion - Not enough high CMC white cards to warrant this, especially since it doesn't discount the color cost.
- Chain Lightning - Part of the cut redirect package. Little use outside of said package.
2 months ago
So i am building one right away as well, going more tokens and whatnot. however i do have a fun combo in mine involving Stuffy Doll and Chain Lightning and other great direct damage Electrodominance , Soul's Fire , ect... maybe a possible look at direction oh... and Path to Exile for Land ramp with tokens from all sources and Young Pyromancer
2 months ago
2) my point exactly. Why change the rule and add the legendary supertype to planeswalkers if not to dissociate the two? IOW planeswalkers w/o legendary supertype moving forward will no longer mutually anihilate. Pure speculation on my part...
3) I haven't read the spoilers. I've just always kinda wondered why they had to be elite-only cards. So my mind started asking 'what if' and dreamed up a common cycle.
5) Lightning Bolt it's not showing. Look at the Alpha version.
9) Banding was too confusing for noobs. So was tapped creatures not dealing damage, artifacts switching off when tapped, and interrupts. Not to mention good-ol' "damage on the stack" Morphling . The game changes. You get used to it. The structure is a lot better now than it used to be I think.
10) it's more about the concept. One could have a goblin "when this dude comes into play, regrowth a burn spell" or something to that effect. Subtypes in general allow for more flexibility in card manipulation, that's all. If this weren't true they wouldn't have made Lord of Atlantis a me folk.
11) also, about the concept. From a design perspective, you don't want to make a card too powerful because everyone is going to run four of them. But if you add a self-restriction it mitigates the possibility it will warp the meta game. Also, it allows for cards that while not necessarily broken would be too complicated in multiples, such as Teferi's Undoing I'd posted the other day. That was supposed to have "Build:1" but I ran out of space.
BTW you forgot Chain Lightning not instant but it used to go in 'that' deck.
I started playing with Antiquities. I wasn't ready to spend $7 on a pack of Arabian Nights just to have the older cards I'd missed out on but I made sure to get in on Legends. The first rare I cracked in that set was The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale . I got $20 for it. When gold cards came out, we were all wowed. And yes, I do remember.
3 months ago
3 months ago
I have made the following Changes
This is due to the meta running slivers, and elves, where they run multiple copies of cards, so I'm hoping it's more effective.
I'm dropping the instant speed of Lightning Strike, for the reduced cost of Lightning Strike.
Testing this out for additional card draw by exiling the lands
4 months ago
Sorry I take that back, but is the guy in Chain Lightning actually shirtless?
4 months ago
A good addition would be Lightning Bolt . It's pauper legal and a very strong card in general. Chain Lightning and Rift Bolt are also pretty good. Firebrand Archer may be a good replacement for Goblin Arsonist or Footlight Fiend as a repeatable pinger.
Chain Lightning occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.45%