|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masters 25 (A25)||None|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
Cycling (2) ((2), Discard this card: Draw a card.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
1 month ago
Also checkout red burn spells and black destruction spells for creature control.
Furthermore I would recommend mana ramp (i.e. Rampant Growth, Cultivate, Kodama's Reach, Myriad Landscape) instead of mana augmentation Extraplanar Lens et. al. You will not need as much mana, and they would effectively shrink your deck increasing the odds of drawing something you need.
Finally, for starters, aim for 1Commander, 40 Lands and 59 Others. Drop anything else that seems good but doesn't fit into your maybeboard, and we can adjust later.
If I come up with anything else, I'll let you know.
2 months ago
1 year ago
Phyrexian Dreadnought and Death's Shadow work great in Varolz, though they aren't the cheapest cards to acquire. Force of Savagery, Phyrexian Soulgorger, Hunted Troll, Hunted Horror, Groundbreaker, and Nyxathid are reasonable cards to scavenge, though some are harder to get into your graveyard.
You are playing a green commander that can be quite aggressive. Therefore, you should be playing Rancor.
I'd probably try to play closer to 37 lands with Varolz.
If Worldslayer has a place anywhere in the format, it's in a Varolz deck, since you can regenerate him to survive the first boardwipe (possibly more, depending on whether you make tokens or blow up the Worldslayer in response to the damage trigger).
Blood Seeker > Tresspasser's Curse, though neither card is very good (unless you're hosing a specific combo).
Fertile Ground > Gift of Paradise.
Prey Upon > Cartouche of Strength.
Polluted Mire > Cartouche of Ambition. There are hundreds of other cards I could list here, but I'd rather have a land that cycles in a format where you never stop wanting to hit land drops than this cartouche.
Silence the Believers > Edifice of Authority.
Golgari Signet > Golgari Cluestone.
Lull > Haze of Pollen, though I would advise against running either card.
Nature's Claim > Natural State.
Sword of the Animist > Explorer's Scope.
I like Inspiring Call more than Destined // Lead, but the two aren't nearly as comparable as some of the other cards listed.
Giant Growth > Shed Weakness, though I wouldn't recommend running either card.
Seal of Doom > Spidery Grasp.
Wickerbough Elder > Springsage Ritual.
You have a lot of creature slots that are due for upgrades.
1 year ago
ehlanamarie I've played around with it and it's pretty fun. I tried making a deck with it as my Win Con and it became a 4 colored deck where I used 4 Isochron Scepters with Manamorphose, Silence, Boomerang, Fire/Ice and Mana Leak and used 4 Khalni Gems as my mana stones. You could put in Angelsong, Lull and other Cycling cards so that you can get to Paradox Engine and the other cards faster
Panas on Chemo Ramp
1 year ago
Alright! I gave the deck a quick look and it looks relatively good overall. I understand you are not in a very competitive meta (or at least, not a very cutthroat one at that) and that budget is a concern albeit not a very crazy one.
I see enough card draw and cards that replace themselves. I also liked that you built the deck accordingly, avoiding enchantment and artifact inclusions to fit the theme of blowing all of them up.
With that said we reach the greatest flaw in the deck. Without any strong, early ramp and so many high costed cards doing what you want, your deck is left slow and clunky and will often durdle and fold to early advantage gained by other people through the same things you hate. Breaking a Sylvan Library on turn 5 means that opponent already has gained all the value in the world out of it and probably doesn't care too much that it's being destroyed.
A second point I want to make is that although you do have a lot of big mana plays, a LOT of them are inefficient considering the resource investment into them (mana cost Vs effect + P/T). Here's a list of which ones I didn't like too much and the reasoning behind it:
- Avatar of Might is a vanilla trampler in your deck. Unless you are facing against a fast aggro deck or token generator, you are the one playing the creature deck so I wouldn't expect to cast it on the cheap side often.
- Deus of Calamity is an awesome card but it needs the proper enablers (double strike/constant buffs) for it to work as intended and even then it's a "win more" card. In effect it does a hell of a lot under certain conditions, but those are hard to come by and when you are behind you'd prefer playing something else.
- Domesticated Hydra a very high investment just to get a trampler. Evasion is good but when you compare these kind of cards with enablers like Thunderfoot Baloth and Siege Behemoth they are very lackluster.
- Havenwood Wurm: 7 mana for a 5/6 trampler? You can do a lot better than this. The instant speed doesn't warrant this investment as it is essentially asking you to skip your turn to play this.
- Stonebrow, Krosan Hero would be a lot better in a shell where mass trample and Overrun effects ran rampant. This is not the case so quite often he will be giving you an extra 2-4 damage on swing. He's not that bad though.
- Blunt the Assault is a heavy costed fog effect. If life gaining is that important, running Shamanic Revelation is better. If the fog is really needed then just run Fog or Lull or Respite or Winds of Qal Sisma.
- Devil's Play is a very flavourful card and I do like it, but I think it's a bit small for commander. Fall of the Titans or even better Comet Storm do a much better job at finishing people.
- Scrabbling Claws is not good enough for graveyard hate. There exist much better alternatives (i.e. Relic of Progenitus)!
And here are my suggestions for you, including some notable omissions. Some have already been mentioned by others.
- Acidic Slime
- Mold Shambler
- Reclamation Sage!
- Sakura-Tribe Elder!
- Wood Elves!
- Farhaven Elf!
- Woodfall Primus!
- Chaos Warp!
- Krosan Grip!
- Ancient Grudge
- Comet Storm
- Hull Breach
- Skyshroud Claim!
- Hydra Broodmaster
- Beast Within!
- Xenagos, God of Revels
I would choose a number of these as replacements prefering their versatility, efficiency and power.
Those are my thoughts. :)
ps: since tappedout doesn't let me mark my most suggestions through the checkboxes for some reason, i'll put an exclamation mark next to them...
1 year ago
Hey this deck is awesome! I love Turbo Fog and it's awesome that you thought of doing it in pauper. Since there are no common Turbo's I think Angelsong and Lull could help with making Jace's Erasure go faster.
2 years ago
some better Fog variants
Arachnogenesis could help kill some of the attackng creatures and slow the opponent down until more fog cards are available
Constant Mists has buyback
Moment's Peace has flashback
Snag has alternate cost (free)
Unfortunately I couldn't find any that fog with card draw..
AEtherize might have a spot in this deck having to recast their creatures could slow them down considerably. Has a negative effect with ETB creatures... Maybe more sideboard or meta
Ensnare taps all creatures + alternate cost (Free)
1 x Reins of Power Alternate win con - if they have lethal (20+) on the board you can steal all their creatures and kill them with their own.