Creature — Vampire Shaman
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, you may have that player lose 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Blood Seeker Discussion
1 day ago
i think your deck might need a little bit of work still; here's some suggestions
hope that helps :)
1 week ago
Phyrexian Dreadnought and Death's Shadow work great in Varolz, though they aren't the cheapest cards to acquire. Force of Savagery, Phyrexian Soulgorger, Hunted Troll, Hunted Horror, Groundbreaker, and Nyxathid are reasonable cards to scavenge, though some are harder to get into your graveyard.
You are playing a green commander that can be quite aggressive. Therefore, you should be playing Rancor.
I'd probably try to play closer to 37 lands with Varolz.
If Worldslayer has a place anywhere in the format, it's in a Varolz deck, since you can regenerate him to survive the first boardwipe (possibly more, depending on whether you make tokens or blow up the Worldslayer in response to the damage trigger).
Blood Seeker > Tresspasser's Curse, though neither card is very good (unless you're hosing a specific combo).
Fertile Ground > Gift of Paradise.
Prey Upon > Cartouche of Strength.
Polluted Mire > Cartouche of Ambition. There are hundreds of other cards I could list here, but I'd rather have a land that cycles in a format where you never stop wanting to hit land drops than this cartouche.
Silence the Believers > Edifice of Authority.
Golgari Signet > Golgari Cluestone.
Lull > Haze of Pollen, though I would advise against running either card.
Nature's Claim > Natural State.
Sword of the Animist > Explorer's Scope.
I like Inspiring Call more than Destined // Lead, but the two aren't nearly as comparable as some of the other cards listed.
Giant Growth > Shed Weakness, though I wouldn't recommend running either card.
Seal of Doom > Spidery Grasp.
Wickerbough Elder > Springsage Ritual.
You have a lot of creature slots that are due for upgrades.
3 weeks ago
I think I'd up Blood Seeker to a full set and cut Trespasser's Curse - that will bring in more life from the Soul Sisters and will give you an extra body on the battlefield. Also, it will work better than the Curse or Blood Artist when playing with 3+ players.
1 month ago
As long as you're doing monoblack with lots of black devotion and Swamps, I would also recommend Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Nightmare, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Nightmare Lash, Squelching Leeches, Abhorrent Overlord, Erebos, God of the Dead, Mogis's Marauder, and Sanguimancy.
I think you would have a lot of success in this deck if you made it a little more Voltron-y around Drana. ★★★☆☆ Let me know what you think of the suggestions. Good luck.
1 month ago
Maybe something like Blood Seeker could help this, the tokens enter the battlefield before they die because of the -1/-1 counters, so why not take advantage of that. With CMC of 2 it fits right in your deck.
1 month ago
KH is a good token maker, but BS is great against all the token/creature copy decks in my meta, and maybe in general in EDH.
1 month ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!