Creature — Vampire Shaman
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, you may have that player lose 1 life.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Blood Seeker Discussion
2 weeks ago
As long as you're doing monoblack with lots of black devotion and Swamps, I would also recommend Korlash, Heir to Blackblade, Nightmare, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Nightmare Lash, Squelching Leeches, Abhorrent Overlord, Erebos, God of the Dead, Mogis's Marauder, and Sanguimancy.
I think you would have a lot of success in this deck if you made it a little more Voltron-y around Drana. ★★★☆☆ Let me know what you think of the suggestions. Good luck.
3 weeks ago
Maybe something like Blood Seeker could help this, the tokens enter the battlefield before they die because of the -1/-1 counters, so why not take advantage of that. With CMC of 2 it fits right in your deck.
3 weeks ago
KH is a good token maker, but BS is great against all the token/creature copy decks in my meta, and maybe in general in EDH.
1 month ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
1 month ago
I understand you want Vampire Nocturnus to almost always give the +2/+1 is why you run 30 lands.
So here my view on things: To make a good use of those 3 vampires, you need a higher creature count, Simply put, the cards are useless if there's no creatures to take advantage of it.
Take out 4 Swamp, add 4X Gifted Aetherborn to stick with your theme of lifegain.
Take out 4 Swamp and add 4xGatekeeper of Malakir
Witchbane Orb is a good card, but belongs to the sideboard.
You don't need 30 swamp. I know you really want Vampire Nocturnus to give the bonus, but it's not a reason good enough to draw 8 lands in a row because yes, the odds allows that with 30 lands.
Hope this helps and have fun playing :)
1 month ago
2 months ago
Okay, I guess the next place to start is by going over the various archetypes for vampires in modern. They are a pretty flexible tribe, so there are lots of directions you can take them. Aggro, midrange, control, and even combo-esque strategies are pretty viable avenues to explore.All the lists are pretty much comprised of the following creatures depending on which direction you want to go: Bloodghast, Vampire Nocturnus, Stromkirk Captain, Stromkirk Noble, Captivating Vampire, Shadow Alley Denizen, Pulse Tracker, Vampire Nighthawk, Gifted Aetherborn (AKA Vampire Nightwalk), Vampire Lacerator, Vampire Cutthroat, Stromkirk Condemned, Olivia, Mobilized for War, Olivia Voldaren, Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Insolent Neonate, Falkenrath Aristocrat, Indulgent Aristocrat, Falkenrath Gorger, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Bloodthrone Vampire, Blood Artist, Viscera Seer, Blood Seeker, Asylum Visitor, Bloodline Keeper Flip, and Gatekeeper of Malakir.
Aggro lists generally stay super low to the ground in regards to CMC and include a lot of lords. Given the low CMC. Aether Vial also starts to become very good -- especially since all the lords tend to hang at 3 CMC.
There are multiple routes to midrange. One route is to to try and abuse the madness effect to turn Liliana of the Veil's +1 into a 1 sided effect.
The other is slightly more combo-y. Aristocrats is an interesting archetype that abuses the recursiveness of Bloodghast, the life-loss triggers from Blood Artist, and the instant speed sacrifice effects of Viscera Seer, Bloodthrone Vampire, Falkenrath Aristocrat and Indulgent Aristocrat. I also personally like Reassembling Skeleton, Gravecrawler, Doomed Traveler, and or Bloodsoaked Champion in the list to further be able to abuse the Blood Artist triggers with more sacrifice fodder. White also gives access to things like Rally the Ancestors -- which can be a brutal play to ping for a lot of dmg with Blood Artist triggers.
There is also more traditional midrange which just aims to play threats that if left unanswered -- typically win you the game. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Bloodline Keeper Flip, and Olivia Voldaren are all very dangerous cards for your opponent to leave in play, and Gatekeeper of Malakir can be a huge pain given his ability to not only provide a decent body, but also take down an opponent's creature with his kicker cost. Vampire Nighthawk and Gifted Aetherborn are also good for similar reasons. they trade profitably wirh almost any creature and have the benefit of giving you back some life.
There are 3 routes for combo that you can also go -- the first involves Bloodline Keeper Flip and Intruder Alarm. The second route is Sanguine Bond + Exquisite Blood + vampire's ability to easily ping for 1 somehow to trigger the combo. The third is Mindcrank or Duskmantle Guildmage + Bloodchief Ascension.
I can definitely help you refine a list once you have a basic archetype in mind. Right now you seem to be in between aggro and midrange. Which is perfectly fine. You can mix and match a little bit. Devotion, as another user suggested, is also viable -- however vampires do not really have a ton of super good ways to use oodles of mana.