|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Mind vs Might (DDS)||Common|
|Urza's Legacy (ULG)||Common|
Combos Browse all
Return target creature to its owner's hand. Untap up to two lands.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||ibraJG84 , sonnet666 , Benniator , Doom_of_Valyria , tragic_slip , NOGzFTW , NorthernCrow , jtfran02 , Supremespeed , MoJoMiXuP , LTmiller|
6 hours ago
Hey, first time I've seen an actual silver-bordered card as a viable Commander and not just a gimmick, +1
Consider an infinite blue mana combo: five Islands + High Tide + Peregrine Drake with tutor help from Johnny for Snap and Deadeye Navigator. Use this combo with Johnny to tutor for Blue Sun's Zenith, draw the deck and then play all cards in the deck.
Other cards to consider are:
Good luck with your deck.
4 days ago
Hey, looks good for a first Commander deck.
Talrand can be a nice budget control Commander, but he needs a lot more instants than I see here. Spells that can help you dig for other cards as well as draw. Take more advantage of Talrand's ability to make creatures and play more cheap mana instants and sorceries instead of so many creatures. Creatures like Mnemonic Wall who you've included and my suggestions of Archaeomancer, Docent of Perfection and Curious Homunculus are the kind of abilities you want with creatures because they also go with the control/ Drake making strategy of Talrand. Creatures such as Slither Blade and Storm Fleet Aerialist look out of place because if controlling you don't want aggressive creatures or creatures that benefit from being aggressive.
You're on the right track with including several good cards: Brainstorm, Mystical Confluence, Mana Leak, Negate, Blue Sun's Zenith, Sol Ring, Thought Vessel, Reliquary Tower, Echoing Truth, etc. There's however a lot of cards that can be replaced for better budget options.
Even if you're on a budget there's still a lot of budget blue cards you can include. I'll start with cheap draw, currently there's not enough cheap mana draw. You have Brainstorm which is good, but you need more. Cheap mana draw is good with Talrand you're both drawing a card and gaining board presence with a Drake for a small amount of mana. These cards don't just draw and make Drakes, but they also let you dig for other cards. Specific answers such as a counterspell, bounce even land.
Tide, Snap and Archaeomancer can make an infinite Drake creation combo from casting Snap, making a Drake each time it's cast. Snap lets you untap two Islands which can then produce more mana because of Tide. Snap can continuously bounce Archaeomancer back to your hand letting you play him again and get back Snap from the graveyard. Best thing about these cards are they're all good alone if not using them with the combo.
- Play High Tide, any Island tapped now makes two blue mana.
- Tap two Islands for four blue mana. Play Archaeomancer get back Tide.
- Tap Island for two mana play Tide again, any Island tapped now makes three blue mana.
- Tap the one Island left giving you four total blue mana. Play Snap target Archaeomancer untap two Islands.
- Tap two Islands giving you eight total blue mana. Play Archaeomancer get back Snap.
- Play Snap target Archaeomancer untap two Islands.
- Each iteration now you'll get eight mana and one Drake by playing Archaeomancer and Snap leaving you with two blue mana left each time.
This combo is done on your turn so all the Drakes will not be able to attack until the next turn. It forces one of your opponents to have a board wipe or they all lose. To shut this combo off for the turn make sure you have Archaeomancer in your hand before you end the turn. He's the most vulnerable of this combo since he's a creature; protect him in your hand don't have him in play. He's the best way to start the combo again because he can get back Tide from the graveyard.
The buyback ability on Capsize lets you pay the cost and return Capsize back to your hand. For six mana this is a repeatable spell to create a Drake and bounce any permanent back to opponent's hand, even a land. As a result Capsize is very good with Talrand. It can also bounce a permanent you control this can be good with creatures who give you something when they enter the battlefield such as Archaeomancer.
If you're using a gain control strategy then I suggest these two cards:
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
Well I have some suggestions. First you have way too many mana rocks. Gilded Lotus, Coalition Relic and Chromatic Lantern should be the first to go. With the mana base you have there is no need for sub-optimal ramp such as Chromatic Lantern or Coalition Relic and your mana curve is low enough that Gilded Lotus is just too much. You should also cut at least 1 signet or 1 talisman maybe one of each. Other artifacts that should go are Lightning Greaves because Kess, Dissident Mage is not at all necessary to a full storm build and having a card just to protect her from destruction isnt worth a card slot. Now as for your win conditions, if your going 1 creature then you should really just use Aetherflux Reservoir. Using Reiterate on Lightning Bolt with Paradox Engine is kinda clever but its very mana intensive, requires you to run lots of sub-optimal mana rocks and if you streamline your deck you will consistently get to an Aetherflux Reservoir win much faster. Take out Tendrils of Agony and Lightning Bolt. Now for Paradox Engine. This card doest synergize at all with Kess, Dissident Mage's ability and since you only get one spell each turn from her your going to need to rely on your deck for your gas. You should 100% replace Paradox Engine with High Tide and build your deck around that card. Add cards like Frantic Search, Time Spiral and Snap. Replace Vault of Whispers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Sulfur Falls, Seat of the Synod, Great Furnace, Glimmervoid, Drowned Catacomb and Dragonskull Summit with Island's. You should also take out Winds of Change, without Notion Thief its not really a great card since you might just refill your opponents hands. There are several other questionable instants and sorceries but this is already a lot coming at you so ill just link to a couple different decks people have been trying out to give you examples. The final few cards I will suggest are Mystic Remora, Paradoxical Outcome, Future Sight, Necropotence, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top and Hurkyl's Recall
1 month ago
Thank you for your suggestions! I think that Capsize, Snap or Reality Shift are better removal than Echoing Truth; and Cyclonic Rift is the best to clean the board and it's less situational than Echoing Truth. I already knew Bribery and it's a bit too expensive for me, but it's a really good card for sure, I'll keep it in mind! The other 3 cards are very interesting, especially Spelljack (I was looking for funny or less boring counters to add to this deck, you really hit the point on that). Thank you again!
1 month ago
Only got a couple of suggestions for ya ever try Rewind in stead of Insidious Will or Snap instead of Rapid Hybridization just to have a couple more un-tapers at instant speed? Thats all i got and if want anymore ideas check out my friend's deck Mizzix's Maelstrom, i know its but kinda has the same idea behind it.
1 month ago
The miscreant is the only creature aside from spellstutter that actually WANTS to be bounced.
Ninjas I guess sort of want to be bounced, but not really. They need to be bounced, piggybacked, and then cast for ninjitsu. Which is a fair bit of resources if you are planning on doing this regularly, or with multiple ninjas in a turn. I think its more efficient to keep your Ninjas in play if you can ensure that they can connect on their own for cheap, especially since the original creature deals no damage. I dont think Walker of Secret ways is really worth an include due to this fact, and the fact that it cannot target spellstutter or miscreant.
You need to keep your faerie count up, or else your spellstutters will suck, Id consider replacing the Impostors with Quicklings. The flash is what makes the difference, especially when you are already running a number of reactive cards that you need mana open on opponents turns for.
If you are still wanting to bounce your ninjas in order to piggyback in, Snap is good as it is 'Free', ensuring you will be able to aford to ninjitsu the creature out again on the same turn, or keep threats off your opponents field while still casting threats yourself.
Withdraw is another great card for this. Bounce an opponents creature with the first target, then bounce your own guy because you choose not to pay the 1 mana.
And depending which route you end up going, and how tribal it is, Thalakos Seer may dilute the tribe a bit, but its just so much value with ninjas. Guarantees you can piggyback in, and also gives you a card when bounced or killed. Its a more reliable miscreant basically.
Ive always wanted to run Vela the Night-Clad but I dont have the black for it.
As for your concern about the lack of hard removal in my deck, its meant to play aggro tempo moreso then control. My cmc curve is super low which allows me to play more threats quicker in the early game, and I cant afford to not put pressure on my opponent by holding my mana open for counterspells or instant speed removal. Being able to repeatedly bounce via mistblade shinobi helps keep large ground creatures tied up, and the aforementioned Snap is a big tempo swing early on. The Seer, Shadowrifts, and Deep Hours keep the threats and mana coming a a steady pace as to not run out of steam early.
1 month ago
Hey I've been playing Kess, Dissident Mage since she was released and I love her. Some simple changes you could make to your deck are as follows-
- Kess, Dissident Mage loves instants and sorceries more than creatures, she especially loves Tutors and "cantrip's" (spells that do an effect and then replace themselves) since she can cast them twice they become card advantage. You have many cheap options I would add Gitaxian Probe, Ponder, Preordain, Impulse, Opt and maybe Serum Visions and Brainstorm for cantrips and Gamble, Dark Petition possibly Merchant Scroll, Beseech the Queen and Mystical Tutor for tutors. The cantrips will also help you hit early land drops.
- Your mana curve is pretty scary for a deck with only 29 lands you need to take that down a bit or add more lands probably do both. Decks with 29 lands run all the cantrips and have a average CMC of around 2 not 3.5
- You have Windfall how about a Notion Thief? Its quite powerful when flashed in in response to someones draw spell.
- The dragon theme doesnt make any sense and is very counter intuitive to what your deck is trying to do. You should probably cut all the dragons and dragon related spells.
- My favorite win condition for Kess, Dissident Mage is using Aetherflux Reservoir and Isochron Scepter with Dramatic Reversal to cast infinite spells and gain infinite life. If you went that rout adding Fabricate, Muddle the Mixture maybe Shred Memory and Whir of Invention would probably be a good idea.
- I think you could also probably cut The Locust God, Skullclamp and Unstable Obelisk instead of those add Dimir Signet and hopefully Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Dominance and for draw add cards like Fact or Fiction, Manifold Insights or Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. You can add Faithless Looting and Frantic Search to preload the graveyard to pay for the last two spells.
- Dark Petition, Dark Ritual and Cabal Ritual are great mana producing spells for Kess, Dissident Mage
your counter magic suite is a little weak you probably want Chain of Vapor, Swan Song, Counterspell, Delay and Dispel along with Negate. take out any counterspell that cost more than 2 mana.
- Baral, Chief of Compliance is super good at reducing the cost of your spells as well. With him add Red Elemental Blast and Pyroblast depending on meta.
- These changes will make you weaker to creatures run Reality Shift, Snap, Rapid Hybridization, Fire Covenant and Earthquake