Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska (DDM)||Common|
|Commander 2013 (C13)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Mold Shambler Discussion
8 months ago
Oh man, I didn't expect that to be a real edit you made. I think it'll work great! Now that you did it:
Easy replacements for Nature's Claim are Knight of Autumn and Reclamation Sage, so those might be a good include. Any replacement for Beast Within will obviously be much worse, but Meteor Golem and Mold Shambler are what I can think of off the top of my head. And I honestly can't think of anything to replace Natural Order or Tooth and Nail.
Other things: You're running 16 noncreature spells. Nikya of the Old Ways might limit you a bit, but I think it has enormous potential and might be worth a look.
I've also found that Captain Sisay is busted in this kind of deck if you have $15 that you're willing to spend.
I still love the deck!
9 months ago
Okay buddy here we go!
I think we need to fix a lot of things here. Ramp is an easy fix, we'll get some more instant/sorceries that get lands because they are safest. Then we'll work on getting more counters on Hallar in more efficient ways. We'll also swap out some of your kicker spells for other kicker spells that do better things.
Cards to look at:
- Snake Umbra It's protection and draw
- Ordeal of Nylea Counters and ramp
- Wolfbriar Elemental an "eh" kicker but lots of tokens if you get the mana
- Vigor awesome against Neheb and Torbran
- Verduran Emissary kicker and removal
- Thicket Elemental kicker and free creature, but it costs a lot so maybe not
- Pir, Imaginative Rascal another hardened scales
- Mold Shambler kicker and removal (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Citanul Woodreaders kicker and draw (better than Thicket Elemental)
- Rishkar's Expertise draw and free spell
- Greater Good is good for drawing cards in the event a board wipe or removal happens. Yeah you have to discard 3 but who cares when you're hopefully drawing 8+ by sacking Hallar
- Return of the Wildspeaker another draw or a buff
- Hunter's Insight Since Hallar has trample you'll definitely get cards, but this can be 3 mana draw 8+ if he's unblocked
- Canopy Surge cheap kicker that also hits players so you can bring them down lower
- Chandra's Ignition boardwipe/damage players
- Breath of Darigaaz cheap kicker that also jits players
- Quest for Pure Flame cheap damage doubler to help you close a game. One Hallar activation puts 3 counters on it.
- Hour of Devastation solid boardwipe that hopefully won't kill Hallar
- Tectonic Reformation For cycling lands
- Solidarity of Heroes cheap kicker that doubles counters
- Heroic Intervention protection
- Savage Offensive cheap kicker that's a combat trick sorta
- Blade of the Bloodchief might be good with Elenda and Teysa sacking all those creatures.
- Primal Vigor double counters
- Llanowar Reborn easy +1 at the cost of it coming in tapped, great in opening hand
- Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter mana and +1s
- Rishkar, Peema Renegade mana and +1s
- Forgotten Ancient more counters
- Farseek 2 mana ramp
- Sakura-Tribe Elder 2 mana ramp
- Rampant Growth 2 mana ramp
- Nature's Lore 2 mana ramp
- Kodama's Reach 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Cultivate 3 mana ramp and guaranteed land drop
- Explore 2 mana ramp and draw
Cards to maybe cut
- Azusa, Lost but Seeking only good early game or if you're drawing a ton of cards, replace with any 2 mana ramp card
- Elvish Visionary replace with Explore
- Grand Warlord Radha Looking to go lower on creatures, replace with 2 mana ramp spell
- Grunn, the Lonely King replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Loyal Guardian replace with better +1 counter option
- Rummaging Goblin Replace with better draw
- Savage Ventmaw 2 mana ramp spell
- Servant of the Scale replace with better +1 counter
- Skizzik replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Untamed Kavu replace with cheaper kicker or at least a kicker that draws cards or is removal
- Fog You know I don't like these but I know you like them. I'd replace with Heroic Intervention
- Magmatic Insight replace with Tectonic reformation
- Expedite replace with draw spell
- Darksteel Ingot 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Locket 2 mana ramp
- Gruul Cluestone 2 mana ramp
- Repercussion is way, waaaaaaaaaaaay to risky now with Neheb AND torbran. replace with anything really
- Forced Adaptation Replace with better +1 or doubler
- Radha, Heir to Keld replace with 2 mana ramp spell
So with all that I hope you're mana will be more consistant and your draw will be more powerful, then you'll be able to dump more counters on Hallar and snipe some wins. If not, your kicker spells will have more impact because they'll draw or remove or ramp. Focus on the 2cmc ramp cards, then swap out the kicker spells, then get those draw cards in there.
Here's a Deck you can also look at
11 months ago
i think Sage of Epityr and Coiling Oracle can be some nice creatures to put in for better deck filtering to fin more relvant tools. Terastodon and Mold Shambler seem like they could be nice add in as well. Tamiyo, Field Researcher seems like a nice fit too.
1 year ago
Some suggestions Verdant Force although big, you should be able to get enough mana as it makes tokens on every upkeep. Tendershoot Dryad is another one I would definitely recommend to add as the ascend trigger is super easy to go off from. Thelonite Hermit is another good one. Thallid Soothsayer is a bit slow but it gives card draw and goes with the theme. Mold Shambler is like a bad Reclamation Sage but goes with theme. Nemata, Grove Guardian is an interesting dude as he gives a worldly buff when going for the kill.
Hope these may help!
2 years ago
Everflowing Chalice acts as ramp and a kicker trigger
Comet Storm can be a game winner, or a board wipe, but it's also a kicker spell
Mold Shambler is removal and a trigger
Molten Disaster is an uncounterable trigger/ board wipe
Verdeloth the Ancient creates a big board with enough mana
A lot of bad kicker spells out there, but these are all semi playable.
I'd stay away from +1/+1 stuff because you're missing some crucial cards in white.
2 years ago
Are you wanting to push Saproling tokens, or fungus tribal? Honestly, I think you could find a balance, which could give the deck more angles of attack. The problem I am now running into is that there are so many MtG cards in existence, we have to cut cards that seem like "auto-includes" based on theme, but simply don't measure up to the game play.
This brings up another decision point: do you want this deck to win ever? Or are you just making a deck where you push the theme without regard?
I assume you are already planning to add Saproling Migration, Sporecrown Thallid, Thallid Soothsayer and Slimefoot once Dominaria is released.
2 years ago
Thank you very much! I am glad you like the list. It s a fun deck and can be powerful, but to be more competitive it needs some spells to counter the graveyard hate. Often you will encounter Bojuka Bog, Relic of Progenitus, Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, Scavenging Ooze, and Deathrite Shaman to name a few. Some cards to consider are:
Next up are cards you can swap in that are not as expensive to acquire.
To allow for the anti graveyard hate cards listed above, I would consider cutting for budgetary reasons: Yawgmoth's Will, Rise of the Dark Realms, Survival of the Fittest, Sylvan Scrying, Diabolic Servitude, Entomb, Coffin Queen.
You can change a lot of cards in the list aside from those mentioned here. Two cards I would not change and would pick up as they are very useful in the list are Volrath's Stronghold and Phyrexian Tower. You can sacrifice a creature to the tower gaining 2 black mana and use that mana to activate the stronghold to put the sacrificed creature back on top of your library. Volrath's Stronghold by itself is also a way to save at least one creature from your graveyard from getting exiled as mentioned in the graveyard hate you would face.
This should give a good sense of what type of cards to think about and try. I have used many of these cards on my way to getting to the list today. Another two good cards that are rarely bad are Wurmcoil Engine and Batterskull. Just good Value cards. Batterskull is not a creature to reanimate, but it is a creature when the artifact enters the battlefield. I hope this helps!