: Add to your mana pool.
, , Sacrifice Haunted Fengraf: Return a creature card at random from your graveyard to your hand.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Haunted Fengraf Discussion
6 months ago
If you want to make a "legal" 5 color eldrazi deck, Esika, God of the Tree Flip is a good option, as the creature side color fixes you for those weird colors, and the enchantment side could allow you to cheat out those huge eldrazi creatures. Unfortunately it would mean you would have to redo the mana base to accommodate and probably cut some of the little eldrazi creatures
If you choose to keep your current commander, there are actually a few cards that take advantage of your commander being colorless. Things like War Room and Commander's Plate are super good, as you wouldn't have to pay life and the armor gives protection from EVERY color!
For the colorless mana base, I'd look into replacing a majority of your Wastes with utility lands. There are DOZENS of different utility lands that function like a wastes and come with an added bonus. Off the top of my head, some decent cheap options are things like Haunted Fengraf , Rogue's Passage , Ghost Quarter Cascading Cataracts
If you choose to play your commander as colorless, it would also mean you'd have to cut the cards with colored mana symbols in their mana costs. I'd replace them with ways to generate big amounts of mana. Things like Thran Dynamo , Voltaic Key Manifold Key , Sculpting Steel Worn Powerstone , Sol Ring , Everflowing Chalice , Hedron Archive , Dreamstone Hedron . I would still keep a few wastes around, as you could use cards like Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart to ramp further. And I would definitely look into finding interaction and card draw that is colorless, as those cards are a a premium in that color identity.
Also, I would say that you probably have too many lands. I could see you running like 38-39 lands. It'd mean that you'd consistently hit a land drop every turn in addition to your ramp, making it a lot easier to cast your commander.
Hope those suggestions help, regardless of the direction you choose to go!
6 months ago
@Grind Thank you!
I like Scavenger Grounds , I remember playing that in standard! Will probably replace Haunted Fengraf . I've found that this deck is very hungry for untapped green mana turn one and two, so I'm hesitant to cut too much green from the deck!
I also like the other suggestions! Not sure what I would cut at this point, though Thrashing Brontodon or Kraul Harpooner might be on the block, as I'll admit they're pet cards (though pretty decent), as the other's seem like they'd be more consistent.
10 months ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
11 months ago
For removal, how about cards like Pacifism. I see you have Journey to nowhere, which is definitely better, but to shut down another creature from combat is quite useful, and devastating against certain voltron decks. It wont stop combo commanders, but is still nice to have.
For a deck with so much equipment, you might need a bit more ramp. Everflowing Chalice, Mind Stone, Orazca Relic, Bonder's Ornament, and Magnifying Glass can help you get the mana when you need it then you can ditch or use them for the card draw when you need it lategame.
Monocolored Utility lands may also be nice in some areas, since you aren't playing anything close to devotion, and in monocolored, colorless lands hurt you by a generally negligible amount. Cards like Radiant Fountain, Quicksand, Forge of Heroes, Cave of Temptation, and Haunted Fengraf are nice utility. You may also want to add the Panoramas that grab plains (Bant Panorama, Esper Panorama, and Naya Panorama + Warped Landscape) since you can landramp with them if you get a Scaretiller in play, and if you don't get him, they don't really affect you otherwise.
1 year ago
Cut the duplicates
- 1x Snow-Covered Forest
- 1x Snow-Covered Island
- 1x Snow-Covered Swamp
- 1x Forest
- 1x Island
- 1x Swamp
- 1x Dryad Arbor
- 1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
- 1x Tainted Wood
- 1x Tainted Isle
Other good (utility) lands which are always good:
- Scavenger Grounds = mass graveyard-hate (exiles EVERY yard, which is including your own) on a land: because it's colorless you can... no you should play it everywhere (except in decks like muldrotha here which care a lot about the ohn graveyard)
- High Market/Miren, the Moaning Well = sac outlet on a land (I can highly recommend those lands
- Reliquary Tower = only worth the slot if you have TONS OF CARDDRAW I never found this card good outside of blue and black decka with wheel effects or cards like Ad Nauseam or Necropotence
- Geier Reach Sanitarium/Mikokoro, Center of the Sea = let's draw cards
- Haunted Fengraf/Buried Ruin = let's bring things back
- Rogue's Passage = make creatures unblockable
"Slow Lands" which sadly enter the battlefield tapped but, (in my opinion) are worth that downside:
Bojuka Bog = graveyard-hate on a land: which is every of my black decks, because somebody is always playing graveyard strategies
The Tri-lands = like Opulent Palace
I can also highly recommend visiting as a source of inspiration.
It would really appreciate it if you would visit some of my decks and leave comment there
1 year ago
Okay, so I've decided Pollenbright Druid isn't really a necessity so I'm not going to add it. In fact, my playtesting has brought me to the conclusion that I need less lands, so I'll bump it down to 22. I don't think I'll use Jungle Hollow since the life gain is unnecessary (we have the omnivore), but some kind of special land sounds nice. Maybe I'll playtest with a Haunted Fengraf or two.
Playtesting also helped me decide that Thallid Germinator is kind of unnecessary as well. I really like the idea of Fungal Infection since the deck can't really do any removal until Deathspore Thallid hits the table.
1 year ago
Anyone got ideas for nonbasic lands I could be using? I tried Tranquil Thicket but it was always frustrating to get a hand with Thallid and your only green land need to come in tapped... Maybe Haunted Fengraf is a good idea?
1 year ago
Just wanna say that I really love the idea and concept of this deck so +1 from me! Have you considered Lightning Greaves / Thousand-Year Elixir since you do run a couple of creatures that has tapping activated abilities? If budget allows, I think that running a Crucible of Worlds package (with fetches) might be neat since you do have a couple of lands that would benefit from recursion. If you do consider it, I would recommend Haunted Fengraf (recursion theme) and Expedition Map for land tutor. I also think that Emeria Shepherd fits really well in your deck but I'm not sure if it fits the curve. Last but not least, since you're running Felidar Sovereign , maybe Approach of the Second Sun is another great alternative win con to complement the lifegain subtheme? Good job!