Driven / Despair
Until end of turn, creatures you control gain trample and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
Aftermath (Cast this spell only from your graveyard. Then exile it.)
Until end of turn, creatures you control gain menace and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card."
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Driven / Despair Discussion
1 week ago
I know Phyrexian Swarmlord is 6 cmc, but I think it might be better than Phyrexian Hydra . It synergizes great with both of Hand of the Praetors 's abilities and also works well with Driven / Despair .
Also there's Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon , the cool infect creature no one uses outside of EDH. This might be the one good modern deck for it.
I also see you don't have a sideboard yet. Viridian Corrupter should be good there.
2 months ago
Dance of the Manse : For pillowforty decks like Pramikon to return removed stax pieces like Suppression Field (very strong card as it includes fetchlands and PW's and shuts off a nice variety of other stuff....mainly all of my other decks as they often assemble creature loops), or Oath of Lieges , or Confounding Conundrum (vs pesky ramp) and so on. It's in mah baby Pramikon Hurr Durr Slow Game.
Ghostly Pilferer : You want to have a value piece vs commanders and a discard outlet for potential reanimator style and the ability to draw on its own? Here you go. Speaking of reanimator: get yourself some ape snake with Thieving Amalgam . This thing takes over the game, if reanimated early (sure Grave Titan , Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur , Sire Of Insanity and a heap of others do so too, but they are not as cheap as mah boi or make it a non game like the Sire or Jin-Gitaxias do). It's like a battlecruiser version of Consecrated Sphinx .
6 months ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
9 months ago
You could consider adding a Desert package (Desert of the Glorified, Desert of the Indomitable, Grasping Dunes, Endless Sands, and possibly a few of the more minor ones) in order to enable Ifnir Deadlands. If you do, I might consider cutting Opal Palace as your colorless landcount is perhaps a bit on the high side.
Nesting Grounds seems fun in this list.
Tectonic Edge doesn't really fit the current meta, since nobody's running any of the broken lands that would actually warrant getting destroyed.
Your swamp count is only at...9, if you count the budget fetchlands and Urborg. That's a bit low to make Tainted Wood work.
Generous Patron, Seshiro the Anointed, Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, Skullclamp, Moldervine Reclamation, and Driven / Despair are your only ways to accrue much in the way of card draw. It's over the minimum threshold I'd set to run Reliquary Tower, but I'd keep in mind that the Tower is rarely going to do much for you, so cutting it wouldn't be the worst.
11 months ago
- Stubborn Denial with a Commander, that has 4 power. For countering target noncreature spell feels really good. Love the card in Tasigur, the Golden Fang.
- Return to Nature just because it is reprinted so often it is no junk. So versatile at each state in the game for so little investment.
- Aven Mindcensor I also slept in this card, but once you flash him in on somebody searching his library (yes Cultivate counts, as does cracking fetchlands), you will get that little evil feeling of joy.
- Compost, if your meta likes playing black. Spells cast do count for this...So nice.
- Nature's Claim the cheapness of the card makes it absolutely worth an include. Bonus points for targetting your own stuff to screw someone's lethal math over.
- Driven / Despair makes your tokens become a true menace. In Hapatra, Vizier of Poisons the card is a bomb, maybe it is elsewhere aswell.
1 year ago
FunkiestBunch and OptimalGreen: Yeah, this set didn't give me much for Hapatra :( These days, the only new things that get added here are powerful draw sources, tutors, and (in the right block) -1 counter sources. With that said, Nylea's Intervention was an upgrade over Sylvan Scrying as a way to tutor Gaea's Cradle (since it can potentially grab me one or two other utility lands, or deal with fliers in a pinch).
Regarding Contamination, I've... considered it forever. I don't run many artifacts, but in theory my mana dorks should let me still have access to green. The bigger issue is that this deck is primarily green, especially in its wincons -- I have trouble winning with only black, and it cuts off my biggest mana generator (Gaea's Cradle). Though amusingly, it would make Cradle tap for B even when I control no creatures XD
I've considered Liliana, Dreadhorde General for a while. I love her as a card, and her ult is backbreaking, but Eldrazi Monument has proven to be pretty great. It permits an infinite combo with Yawgmoth, and makes me dodge most board wipes (ie, the easiest way to shut me down). Plus it's one of my three major ways to deal with fliers, and it's also one of my all-time favorite cards. Driven / Despair continues to be a disappointment every time I slot it back in, because of its one-shot nature. I just never seem to get it at the right time to really profit, even though on paper it looks amazing.
I'm running a good amount of interaction here -- I'm running 13 cards that I would consider to be a form of interaction, of which 9 are instant speed removal or protection. I'd never turn down more, of course, but what other interaction are you thinking?
1 year ago
1 year ago
Narcomoeba triggers amalgam, and it is also very good with Driven / Despair, which a lot of lists run. I guess if you want to be more midrangey, it works. Decimator seems a lot better in this deck, tapping opponent's creatures doesn't do much, as it's fine to trade your recurrable creatures for their blockers.