Altar of the Brood
Whenever another permanent enters the battlefield under your control, each opponent puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
|Have (2)||metalmagic ,|
|Want (2)||pegonça , Deathholme|
Printings View all
|Khans of Tarkir (KTK)||Rare|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Altar of the Brood + Shielded by Faith + Siona, Captain of the Pyleas
- Altar of the Brood + Oona, Queen of the Fae + Sage's Row Denizen
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Altar of the Brood occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Altar of the Brood Discussion
1 day ago
@Rivrek: Thank you. Moved Ishkanah to fringe competetive because you just need infinite black mana to win and another viable way to win, is together with Food Chain and Altar of the Brood/Blood Artist. I don't know how me missed that, but don't be to harsh with us. With over 1000 possible commanders, somethin like that can happen, haha :D
2 days ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
1 week ago
Not sure if you still want help with this deck, but there are some more sub par choices you're running in the deck and not much on the instant department. Pyroblast, Red Elemental Blast, and Burnout could be beneficial. You could also remove some of the sorceries that make goblin tokens since honestly, you have enough creatures as is and krenko can get out of control very easily. If you slot Ashnod's Altar in, you could replace some other cards with something that could be used as a finisher like Comet Storm. If you get enough etb's happening, you can mill everyone at once with Altar of the Brood as well.
2 weeks ago
So just to clarify, the wincondition in this deck is mill, right?
From what I can understand, you want to tutor for Altar of the Brood or Hedron Crab, and then try to go infinite / near infinite on land drops by returning them to your hand and replaying them. Is this assesment correct?
Could be interesting to have some information about synergies and wincons in the description, and assuming this is a cEDH combo deck, how fast and how reliable the combo is.
And what happens if both Altar of the Brood and Hedron Crab goes to the graveyard? Do you then have to rely on getting infinite / near infinite mana and winning with Blue Sun's Zenith and instant card recursion?
Anyways, cool deck, upvote from me :)
2 weeks ago
If I were you, I would take out the Altar of the Brood (putting one card in the graveyard of the opponent at a time is not that useful to you and will often help them). I would also take out the Skullclamp as it doesn't synergise fully with the rest of your deck (you need to have a little more 1/1 for it to be very useful)
2 weeks ago
You only run 5 other zombies to get Gravecrawler back, I would probabky replace those small artifact creature with some more zombies. Also, in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck, I run Phyrexian Altar with Tortured Existence aswell, in addition with Desecrated Tomb for infinite loop. From the new Commander Legends set, Tormod, the Desecrator could be used instead of Desecrated Tomb too. It honestly works great, not only for Syr Konrad himself, but also for cards like Bitter Ordeal, Altar of the Brood, Ayara, First of Locthwain or simply Grave Pact as a creature board wipe.
3 weeks ago
Actually, why do you run Panharmonicon? It can't trigger Impact Tremors or Purphoros if he's not a creature. It basically only works with Altar of the Brood, Muxus, and a couple other cards. It seems like a dead draw most of the time.
4 weeks ago
First of all, no creature in commander is too expensive, unless you have enough ramp or ways to cheat it out.
( There is an infinite combo of Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Triskelion . There is fairly a lot of ramp in black, if you really need it, like Black Market; Songs of the Damned; Bubbling Muck; Magus of the Coffers, etc.
I use some basic black ramp cards in my For the Void and it works just fine, nothing extra :D
Something to protect Mikaeus and other creatures, like Lightning Greaves and Malakir Rebirth
Flip is very nice. Or just Reanimate whatever dies.. which can even draw you cards if you would control Vilis, Broker of Blood.
Swampwalk is fine, definitely if with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth on board.
Landbase look fine, maybe Emergence Zone is really nice utility land, so you can cast anything at instant speed after you sac it.