Put any number of target creature cards from your graveyard on top of your library.
Draw a card.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Forever Young Discussion
4 days ago
There's a lot of good things going on with this deck already but there's some space for growth. you have a lot of life gain going on with out a whole lot to do with it to push you towards a win condition. First thing I'd do however is try to eek every last ounce out of Gyome I could. I want to preface this by saying I'm referencing a build I'm currently working on called Living your life that utilizes a similar idea to what you're working with here.
first thing I'd do is look at creature recursion. its inevitable that you're going to lose creatures via Sac or blocking. embrace it and take advantage of what Black and Golgari is really good at which is bringing things back from your grave yard. cards like Regrowth , Nature's Spiral , Forever Young , and Gravepurge are all 2 to 3 drop cards that will bring creatures or permanents back from your grave yard for around $.25 each. another great card for this would be In Search of Greatness which lets you put a permanent onto the board during your upkeep with a CMC equal to 1 plus the highest CMC of another permanent you have.
now here is where things can get kinda spendy. Exquisite Blood is a pricey card that is the lynch pin in many 2 card infinite life gain life drain combos. it is objectively expensive and would likely be your most expensive card in this deck but would highly recommend it down the road because with it and one of the two cards above sacrificing a single food token (which can be done at instant speed) will trigger this infinite combo giving you the game win. Like I said its pricey so maybe not a purchase for now but I'd look at it for down the road
other things that would be beneficial would be cards with life link like Moldering Karok and something that can spread counters around. I am particularly a fan of Willowdusk, Essence Seer for her ability to put counters on creatures in the amount of life gain. its easy to make creatures 20/20 really fast with her and cards like Ageless Entity which adds counters to itself for the amount of life you gained. those cards both came with the precon that Gyome was packaged with but if you are getting cards from your friend these can be had for under a dollar each.
Finally, just because I like having as many win cons in a deck as I can get, Glistener Elf is a fun card to have as it deals damage in the form of poison counters. pairing it with proliferate spells or doubling spells (which can be pricey so maybe a down the line purchase) can bring a game to an end very quickly. imagine gaining 10 life, having willowdusk and glistener elf on the board with your swift foot boots equipped, putting 10 counters on glistener elf and running her through with Rogue's Passage , another card that is in the witherbloom witchcraft pre con but will only run you .40 if you don't have it, for an instant win.
Lastly get some cards in there that mess with your opponents boardstate. Black is really good at creature destruction either directly or in the form of -x/-x counters and golgari is decent at targeted permanent destruction. It takes up space in your deck but I always recommend having 3-5 creature destruction cards in my black decks and 3-5 recursion cards otherwise magic just feels like playing solitaire until you can draw a win con.
Sorry that was a lot wordier than I thought it was gonna be so if you need clarifications let me know.
1 month ago
Not a terrible list. There are some subpar cards in here though, although I'm sure some of them fit the "legendaries I like" bill and so that's just down to fun vs winning.
Forever Young is not usually great recursion. It seems good, but it messes with your draws. You'd rather just have other cards drawn or spells that bring creatures back onto the battlefield. The two runes are just kind of okay. There's no obvious downside, the power level is just a tiny bit shy of where cards should be in Constructed formats. Tajuru Blightblade is also low power. You want something with abilities that will benefit the rest of your deck, not something that trades with anything that blocks and leaves with no other value. Jaspera Sentinel is a little slow, and there are better elves to look at for an elf deck. Sarulf, Realm Eater is very slow for a sweeper and hits your own creatures as well, most of whom in the elf package are small. Sculptor of Winter is decent ramp, but you don't need it. An elf deck should be fast and aggressive, and in this one you can have your larger creatures as a backup plan later.
2 months ago
needs more cheap targeted removal ala Heartless Act and Doom Blade . I'm a huge fan of Price of Fame in black because it can be 2 mana and also lets you surveil 2 which can be key to find more cards. Since you're more of an agro deck an early Fatal Push or Eliminate could work really well. Forever Young might also be a good inclusion
2 months ago
Sorry for the double post, I forgot something:
Are cards like Bone Harvest a thing in Syr Konrad, the Grim ? If not, they should definitely be. There aren't many cheaper ways of selectively taking all or most of your creatures out of the graveyard. And these are great with Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Bolas's Citadel , as well. Just fill your grave, control Bolas's Citadel , cast Bone Harvest / Footbottom Feast / Gravepurge / Forever Young , put all creatures from your graveyard on top of your library with Gary being the last one, then cast all of them and get a massive Gary trigger.
2 months ago
Rogues are my least favourite deck to play against ever, just difinitively and I saw the teferi control decks with no wincon, and also 80% of people seem to play it, don't know what's going on there if anyone does
anyway not sure how useful it'll be but there are no ways to recycle the graveyard in standard at the moment and believe me I've tried, so I started running an ANTI-mill deck, here's some of the best options for it
- Literally anything with escape
- Egon, God of Death Flip,(doesn't technically stop mill but benefit's off it)
- Mythos of Brokkos , It is effectively a double permanent tutor
- Bala Ged Recovery This is universal and great
- Forever Young I think technically this is the only other mass graveyard into library thing left, and it's not perfect but it's alright
hope this helps, sorry that there aren't any perfect answers, if your dealing with rogues specifically and not just ruin crab and co, I suggest Nylea's Intervention as a good utility card.
3 months ago
4 months ago
Orange+: Thank you for the kudos.
The Minus counter theme is something that grew while going through my collection. I do realize that Ifnir and Carnifex Demon don't target, and that actually is the reason I included them. The deck has two cards that can steal opposing creatures. The first one is Grave Betrayal, which is just ridiculously powerful, but also costs seven mana. The second one is Necroskitter. If I were to target a creature which e.g. Cauldron of Souls, it would die before getting the counter, so Necroskitter wouldn't trigger. The demons can spread the minus counters without targeting, so the next targetting ability will give me control over them. A thing that seems very interesting in this regard is that proliferate doesn't target. I don't yet know what to make of this, but I'm pretty sure there is a way to abuse this...
The auras are meant to be used just as you said. They can protect my creatures when I attach them without an active Horobi. Swiftfoot Boots are especially important here. Protecting either K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth or Magus of the Coffers is crucial. Unhallowed Pact and Unholy Indenture habe a special little place in that regard: They can simply be protection, but enchanting an opposing creature with either before putting out Horobi is another way to steal them.
There are overall three spells like that: Bone Harvest, Forever Young, and Gravepurge. They are somewhat of a combo with Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Bolas's Citadel. Fill my grave with lots of creatures, control a Citadel and have a Merchant in hand or graveyard. Cast one of the three recursion spells, put all the creatures on top (If Gary is in the Grave, put him on the bottom of the creature pile). Cast all the creatures with Citadel, then cast Gary into a crowded board and drain an obscene amount of life. When we have enough mana, Death Denied or Reaping the Graves can do a similar thing.
There is one find in particular that I really like in the deck: I've always wanted a reason to play Skeletal Wurm. Horobi is propably the only deck that can make use of it, and it plus the not so small number of other activated abilities is the reason I included Necrotic Ooze. This can be a very powerful creature that can protect itself from Horobi's influence.
5 months ago
Lhurgyof - I would personally keep those cards away from Syr Konrad and use them in deck with
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Vilis, Broker of Blood
, etc... also from the new set:
(I know this is few months old comment, so you probably know about it already).
nieds - I see you already got a lot of really good cards, I'll just type some of them that I cut out since they're kinda meh in this kind of deck below. Anyway, you can check my Syr Konrad's deck here: For the Void. Im still switching few cards, explaining why I chose every card in the deck description, etc. I decided to go with mix of reanimator+aristocrats with several infinite combos. So I would welcome any feedback aswell and you might get some inspiration right there! :)
Some cards I would cut and why:
- is good in voltron / attack based decks, but here it looks like a random card that can gives you some life back (which black/other artifacts can do just better than lifelink artifact), but for 6 mana its meh. You could replace it with
, which is three times mana cheaper and provides you with another utility ability. Or simply
as another pseudo mana rock that also gives you a bit of life.
2) Sensei's Divining Top - I know SDT is amazing on its own, but I wouldnt personally bother with it, unless you would go for the Aetherflux Reservoir + Bolas's Citadel + Sensei's Divining Top combo. I would switch it for either Viscera Seer (as another free sac outlet), or my choice for my deck was Shadows of the Past (with any infinite creature generator+sac and Bolas's Citadel, you can just "tutor" and cast whatever you want from top of your deck - think I explained it in my deck's description already or I add it sometime later).
3) Painful Quandary - Again, good card, just doesnt fit that well in my opinion. Goes well with Mindcrank and Archfiend of Despair but thats probably about it. I would rather put it in some discard focused deck. Instead of this, card like Morality Shift would be really cool for sure. Or cards like Forever Young / Gravepurge / Death Denied to proc Syr Konrad's ability and recast them with Bolas's Citadel + another card draw sources. Or you could also stick to enchantments liie Mortuary / Haunted Crossroads (parts of my infinite combos).
4) From planeswalkers I would personally keep only Liliana of the Dark Realms (to help with land drops and deck thining) and Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools (creates more tokens than Lilianas, decent card-draw and punish opponents for letting you -10 him). Other Lilianas are not bad for sure, just either slow or not that fascinating as they seems to be. Karns are just out of place.
Cards I would put in for sure:
- even on its own, it triggers Syr Konrad's ability twice and only for everytime! As you might already know, I use it with
to make infinite etb/die/sac triggers.
2) Bog Witch - discarding (creature) cards to trigger Syr Konrad's ability; is basically Dark Ritual on a stick which you could use to Reanimate / Animate Dead / Victimize right after. Also is 1/1, so another target for your Skullclamp .
3) Doom Whisperer - big good stuff with ability to filter your deck and put creatures directly from your library into the graveyard.
4) Haunted Crossroads - even on its own, its great way to get your creatures back (on top of library for Bolas's Citadel), next to Phyrexian Reclamation .
5) Emergence Zone - simply to give your spells Flash when you would need them, really nice utility land (similar is Winding Canyons but only for creatures, so eh).
6) Malakir Rebirth Flip - cheap way to "protect" your creature, triggering Syr Konrad's ability or another land if needed.
7) Tainted Strike - absolute game winning beast card with Syr Konrad and either any creature/sac generator, boardwipe with 10+ creatures on board, or discard/mill cards.
8) Diabolic Intent - you got plenty of token generators, so this is just mana-cheap tutor.
9) Feed the Swarm - more ways to deal with enchantments and creatures.
I hope some of this will help and you like some of those cards! :)