Choose one —
- Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. You gain X life.
- Exile up to twice X target cards from graveyards.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Erebos's Intervention occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Erebos's Intervention Discussion
6 days ago
3 weeks ago
Ugh, I'm getting flashbacks to losing a 30-minute game to this kind of deck...
You can't really go wrong here with a few Ugins, as you'll likely be hitting 8 mana most games that your removal works. I don't really see what Gray Merchant is doing here, but I guess he helps against aggro. Then again, I think the control matchup is where you're struggling at the moment. Anything with counterspells will likely run you over at the moment. Some extra win-cons like Ugin will help with that, but besides that, I'm not sure what else we can really do in mono-black.
3 weeks ago
Seriously though, this looks sweet as hell. The infinite mana angle seems nasty, but not overly pushed, which should lead to good gameplay. Freed from the Real tends to be a surprisingly loud threat and my guess is that it's likely going to be a bit too greedy, especially considering you have fairly limited protection. Pemmin's Aura is good enough because the protection is built-in, and the added evasion will help you close some games. I've also found that cards like this tend to suffer quite a bit to the Chaos Orb s in our meta but YMMV.
The first thing that stood out to me was that you have significantly less interaction than you typically play, and I'd bet that it'll feel a bit uncomfortable having to be so selective with your answers. I'd recommend adding Windgrace's Judgment and Assassin's Trophy to improve your flexible removal, and some number of Erebos's Intervention , Battle at the Bridge , Profane Command , and Black Sun's Zenith to up your creature removal and creature count (Hydra tokens) at the same time. Also, these do really well against indestructible threats (cough Blightsteel Colossus + Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger cough) like gods and such.
You could probably also use another counterspell or two, but if you don't want to lean too hard that direction, that's understandable.
The second main thing I noticed is your mana ramp package—I'd look at it fairly critically and consider your goals. For example, I'd keep all creatures that tap for 2 or more mana ( Bloom Tender , Incubation Druid , Selvala, Heart of the Wilds ) as they give you more paths to going infinite. I'd cut the ones that only make 1 mana ( Birds of Paradise , Manaweft Sliver , Leyline Prowler ) as they tend to be a bit of a liability compared to land fetch spells and you aren't inherently taking advantage of the fact that they are creatures.
I'd also focus on the curve of your mana ramp. I think you should prioritize 2 cost spells like the three on-color signets, and the land fetch spells Nature's Lore , Farseek , Rampant Growth , and Sakura-Tribe Elder . Swapping these for your 3-5 cost mana ramp will give you more chances to cast Zaxara on turn 3 and get the ball rolling on both bigger mana and generating hydras. The way I see it, you could have a signet + Zaxara to use on turn 5 or spend that same turn casting a Gilded Lotus which is the same mana output but a turn slower. Basalt Monolith is the exception here as it goes infinite.
The final thing I'd encourage is to play more land. You really need to always hit Zaxara early for your deck to do it's thing, and maximizing your potential to consistently hit 4 mana on curve is going to pay dividends. At 34 I'd say you're 2-3 short of what I'd recommend for a mana-hungry deck like this, and you're actually at 33 right now because Winged Temple of Orazca starts as a Hadana's Climb Flip and likely shouldn't be counted as a land.
Here are the baseline swaps I'd recommend:
Out - Birds of Paradise - Manaweft Sliver - Leyline Prowler - Yavimaya Elder - Freed from the Real - Capricopian - Seedborn Muse - Chromatic Lantern - Darksteel Ingot - Replicating Ring - Gilded Lotus - Opulent Palace
In + 2 Forest + 1 Island + 1 Swamp + Farseek + Nature's Lore + Sakura-Tribe Elder + Golgari Signet + Simic Signet + Dimir Signet + Profane Command / Erebos's Intervention + Windgrace's Judgment / Assassin's Trophy
These aren't super exciting changes but they'll massively help your initial consistency. I'd play the deck a buch before deciding what swaps would be best beyond this.
Stoked to see the deck in action!
4 months ago
4 months ago
Oh, i swapped out the 3x Sanctum of Stone Fangs And added a Hagra Mauling Flip, Wishclaw Talisman and Erebos's Intervention, the Sanctum didn‘t have enough impact, rather have a cheap Tutor with claw to geht the combopiece needed in the lategame and lifegain with removal,...
4 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
5 months ago
Temporal Extortion could be pretty nice with K'rrik, you either reduce someones health by half, take an extra turn or with Vilis on board, you can pay half your life and draw that many cards. It gets even crazier if your playgroup allows you Panoptic Mirror.
Beacon of Unrest - to get your citadel/sensei/reservoir combo piece back into play.
Sadistic Sacrament - probably one of my most favorite black cards. Exiling up to 15 cards from target opponent's deck can be really huge or game winning. Especially since you would pay only for kicker cost and with K'rrik.
Priest of Gix - maybe not as good as Overeager Apprentice, but could work aswell.
Emergence Zone - is a great utility land to combo out at the end of your opponent's end step.
Malakir Rebirth Flip - to protect K'rrik or Vilis, which would also draw 2 cards or just use it as an extra land if needed. For only and isntant speed spell, its really nice card to have. Erebos's Intervention - could help with removing some annoying indestructible creature, gain some life back and help agaisnt some graveyard focused decks. Also similar to Suffer the Past.
6 months ago
Ramp (12): Burnished Hart, Nirkana Revenant, Pitiless Plunderer, Solemn Simulacrum, Ashnod's Altar, Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, Sword of the Animist, Thran Dynamo, Black Market, Revel in Riches, and Cabal Coffers.
Card Advantage (10): Erebos, God of the Dead, Midnight Reaper, Razaketh, the Foulblooded, Night's Whisper, Read the Bones, Sign in Blood, Geth's Grimoire, Skullclamp, Costly Plunder, and Skeletal Scrying.
Removal (16): Murderous Rider, Plaguecrafter, Shriekmaw, Bone Splinters, Consuming Vapors, Profane Command, Virtus's Maneuver, Ob Nixilis, the Hate-Twisted, Cast Down, Drag to the Underworld, Erebos's Intervention, Gang Up, Hideous End, Tendrils of Corruption, Dictate of Erebos, and Grave Pact.