|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters (MMA)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Counter target spell with converted mana cost 2.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||ironax , fireborne1986 , dplerner , Pyre_Vulpine96 , Duct-Tape-Guardian , wackozacko , CampbellStev , Swamy , golgarigirl , , , TehDelta , TheDuggernaught , AlertKnave8075 , TheRealPeaches|
|Want (6)||Zelpoke , hardhitta71194 , philktoken8998 , TheDuggernaught , KB2187 , BladeMasta220|
Spell Snare Discussion
1 week ago
Dear Thank you for your commentary! Never expected so large text just for my deck.. you really deserve that position in Top Helpers.About Fetches. i know it.. Flooded Strand is esential for it and in time i will buy it somehow. But thats limit Arid Mesa and Scalding Tarn with Snapcaster is really not for my budget :D Dispel, you are right about it i changed it with Spell Pierce for now, later Remand and Spell Snare
You are absolutely right about Kari Zev... I changed it with Dire Fleet Daredevil what you think (cheaper Snapcaster) ??
Saheeli is out, Supreme Verdict in my opinion is good plan B in situation where i wont have any creatures in BF.
Its hard to make Sideboard for me. I dont have that many experiences with competitive gaming so im not sure what should i put in and what to not to cover majority of decks. It will take some time :D
Thank you Sir !
1 week ago
Hey there! This looks like a pretty solid deck, but I have a few suggestions for you. Also, I used to run a pretty similar deck, which you can take a look at here: Delving into America.
- First of all, I would look to upgrade your mana base as soon as possible. Your mana is what allows you to do the things you want to do, and if you get stuck on colors, it feels pretty bad. Even if you can't afford Zendikar fetches like Arid Mesa and Scalding Tarn, I would add in some more shocklands and go up to the full 4 Flooded Strands. Your mana will become much more consistent, and your deck will feel a lot more streamlined.
- While Dispel definitely has its uses, I see it as more of a sideboard card. While most Modern decks do run instants, it's just not as consistent as you need your maindeck cards to be.
- I'm also not a huge fan of Kari Zev, Skyship Raider. She gets blocked or killed very easily, and just isn't worth 2 mana in Modern. I'd replace her with something like Young Pyromancer.
- Supreme Verdict also seems a little out of place here. Jeskai Delver wants to play threats, then disrupt your opponent, and you really don't want to play a T3 Geist of Saint Traft straight into a T4 Supreme Verdict. It feels bad.
- Finally, Saheeli Rai doesn't really do anything here. None of your threats are particularly worth copying, and her +1 has minimal impact on the game. She doesn't even see any Standard play at the moment.
Now for suggestions:
- Electrolyze is great at killing Lingering Souls tokens, and can even be a 3-for-1 in the right scenario.
- I like Remand and Spell Snare as counterspells in Delver, as they can keep your opponents from playing their cards after you land an early threat.
- I'm also fond of running a single Blessed Alliance in the maindeck. It's great against Burn, and can also help you out a lot against fringe decks like Bogles or Infect.
- Finally, I'd recommend adding a sideboard to your deck. There's a common saying in competitive Magic that a constructed deck isn't 60 cards, it's 75. Give your sideboard some thought; don't just jam cards in there. If you're planning on just playing with friends, think about what kind of decks you play against a lot, and what cards are good against their decks. You can check out the sideboard from my above deck if you'd like, or look up some articles on sideboarding with Jeskai Delver.
In any case, great job here! Good luck with your deck!
1 week ago
If you go TiTi, you should go all the way with 4 and 4 Opt.
PWs are bad in Modern, and only decent if they can protect themselves. For example, Gideon of the Trials and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar both lock down our opponent's biggest threat forever, so they have to play at minimum 2/3+ creatures to get through, at which point we board wipe. They're great in control and midrange where our whole deck consists of removal and blockers; I forgot that you have about 10 combo pieces which don't protect our PWs, so forget I mentioned them.
The counterspells in Modern are also bad. For example, Dispel is so narrow you'll spend most games never casting it (partly because you're usually tapped out), and you don't want to play a mainboard card only useful against 10% of decks (e.g. control); that's what the sideboard is for. Muddle the Mixture is good because at the very least it turns into TiTi, and can even kill a Past in Flames, Scapeshift, Living End, or Ad Nauseam. Mana Tithe is mediocre like you said, but at least it's relevant against every deck. Even if we never cast it, having the opponent pay 1 more for all spells out of fear as long as we have W open is great tempo! It's not really a serious choice though haha. Spell Snare is great because it can get a Mana Leak, or at least something good in every single deck. If you really want more counterspells mainboard (I don't recommend too many), it should be Remand, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, more Mana Leak, Mana Tithe, or more Muddle the Mixture.
Board wipes have the same problem, where they're great in 20% of matchups and useless elsewhere. Another great example of a sideboard card.
You can try this:-1 Finks-1 Dispel-1 Mana Leak-1 Muddle-1 Verdict (put in sideboard)+3 Remand+2 Opt
Spreading Seas also seems nuts since you don't have much going for 2-drops (we can't play TiTi turn 2). You just spend turn 2 cycling, and incidentally automatically win the game vs. Tron and mana-greedy decks haha. If you play it, you should play all 4 since it gets better in multiples.
1 week ago
MVP12, Thanks for all the feedback! In terms of your suggestions, I had cryptic command before, but it was too expensive at the time. I'll add it back in. Thanks!
I was really reluctant adding Runechanter's Pike back in, but the deck needed another win condition. People countering my polymorphs really shut down the deck.
Another problem that I keep having is answering creatures while they're on the board. idk. I really like Search for azcanta in this list, and I kinda regret selling my one copy that I opened at prerelease. Two Questions: Why only one copy each of Logic Knot and Spell Snare? Also, where would I find room for 3-5 more lands?
1 week ago
Oh I didn't realize you were actually going to buy the deck. Things like fetchlands are necessary in the most competitive decks, but aren't significantly better for the money spent. Here's a $75 cheaper mana base that wouldn't decrease your win rate more than 1%. It might even be better if your meta plays lots of Leonin Arbiter, Ghost Quarter, and Blood Moon, which is why basics have real upsides.
- 4 Flooded Strand
- 2 Windswept Heath
- 5 Plains
- 4 Island
- 1 Irrigated Farmland
- 2 Hallowed Fountain
- 4 Glacial Fortress
I would also goldfish or playtest online before dropping all that cash. I goldfished and noticed Thing in the Ice Flip is extremely clunky. You want to play it as an early blocker, but that means you'll never flip it. To flip, you need to hold onto TiTi AND a cantrip (or another cheap spell; that's a huge opportunity cost); otherwise the opponent gets a free turn to Dismember all that work. Basically, cantrips are key, so we might as well just play more cantrips to find Finks and Glen Elendra. If you cut Titi, you can also cut Muddle the Mixture and are free to play as many board wipes as you want - precluding the need for Titi in the first place - win win!
Also I didn't notice Drift of Phantasms. That seems strictly better than Idyllic Tutor because it can fetch every combo piece, Solemnity, Unlife, Finks, AND Station, AND can be used as a desperation blocker!
So here are the trades I would make to make a final polished version:
- -1 land (as previously discussed)
- -4 Thing in the Ice
- +1 Gideon of the Trials (fetchable with Phantasms; sometimes auto-wins vs. Ad Nauseam, makes your opponent overextend into Verdicts, and at least gives you an extra turn to Verdict)
- +1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
- +1 Gideon Jura / Jace, Architect of Thought / Gideon of the Trials (Planeswalkers are particularly amazing when you have board wipes and a some blockers)
- +1 Supreme Verdict
- +1 Path to Exile
- -2 Idyllic Tutor
- +2 Drift of Phantasms
- -2 Declaration in Stone (Detention Sphere is just better and can be fetched with Phantasms)
- +2 Detention Sphere
- -2 Muddle the Mixture
- -1 Dispel (you already have Glen Elendras)
- -1 Mana Leak
- +1 Snapcaster Mage / Vendilion Clique / Kitchen Finks
- +1 Glen Elendra Archmage
- +1 Mana Tithe / Spell Snare
- +1 Opt
3 weeks ago
Remand, Mana Leak or Spell Snare are better than Psychic Strike. You have enough mill power that you don't necessarily need a counterspell with more mill. Leak and Remand would work better with Mesmeric Orb, forcing them to really pay out the nose for that spell they want.
3 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
Counterspells to look at: Remand (good against most match ups, side out against burn and stuff), Disallow/Void Shatter (yes theyre 3 mana, but counterspell proper isnt in modern), and Spell Snare (sideboard). Etched Champion works well and have you thought about Reverse Engineer?