|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Planar Chaos (PLC)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Magus of the Tabernacle
Creature — Human Wizard
All creatures have "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature unless you pay (1)."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Magus of the Tabernacle Discussion
1 day ago
Next I think you really need to up the number of cards in your deck that give you lands, sword of the animist is GREAT but it can't do all the work so here's a catalog of them:
- Wayfarer's Bauble
- Burnished Hart
- Expedition Map
- Gift of Estates
- Myriad Landscape
- Surveyor's Scope
- Thaumatic Compass Flip
That's all I could find and the ones that put them onto the battlefield are notably better because combat tricks.
These next suggestions are if you stay more artifact focused, and just general good cards for Voltron:
- Basilisk Collar
- Emeria sheperd
- Umezawa's Jitte
- Sram, Senior Edificer
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator
- Sword of Vengeance
- Masterwork of Ingenuity
- Sculpting Steel
- Blinkmoth Urn
- Silent Arbiter
- Cathedral of War
- Remember the Fallen
- Leonin Abunas
- Magus of the Tabernacle
Sorry if I went too overboard... Also sorry for the lack of black voltron, I just don't know much black voltron-y stuff. Ok. to-da-loo!
6 days ago
You almost have all the forms of Nahiri!
Also I think in a voltron deck you should have fewer quantity of creatures and more quality creatures. For instance run 8 REALLY good creatures that can be voltron'd or help you voltron vs. 20 creatures that are good in white but not specifically voltron.
Here are a few cards I play in my voltron deck Samurai From The Past! that I think will be of some service too you:
- Spectra Ward: Great card, does a LOT
- Armored Ascension: You only play plains, why not?
- Gift of Immortality: If you are trying to get commander damage across this is a great, otherwise its decent
- Spirit Loop: This may read like lifelink, but it is not lifelink, so you would be able to gain double the life if a creature with lifelink and spirit loop deals damage.
- Remember the Fallen: Solid recursion
- Open the Vaults: Great to bring your stuff back and isn't as expensive as Replenish
- Open the Armory: Great tutor for enchantment or equipment without the pricetag of Enlightened Tutor
- Ajani Steadfast: His +1 is great for Voltron, his -2 is meh, and his ult is great.
- Dispatch: Another path for this deck
- Vedalken Orrery: You always want to be able to play cards at instant speed, as it gives you more control of what happens to the board, specifically your board.
- Scourglass: this deals with problems and keeps all your equipment around to reequip
- Loxodon Warhammer: One of the best non-sword voltron pieces
- Argentum Armor: With the likes of Caged Sun and Extraplanar Lens, you have plenty of mana and you can just go in with a big dude and blow up people's stuff
- Basilisk Collar: Don't underestimate this card, it's so good.
- Magus of the Tabernacle: This is in my Konda Voltron deck (Samurai From The Past! Check it out please!), and it puts a huge strain on go wide strategies and makes players very carefully assess what they want to do in their turn. Either they pay the to keep their 5 creatures or they play a spell, while you are just going to pay the for whatever creature you have Voltron'd
- Leonin Abunas: Great to help deal with people picking apart your assembled voltron creature
- Leonin Shikari: Again instant speed is always a big deal, combat tricks and what not.
1 week ago
Suggestions for fun stuff:
- Catastrophe is a super-fun board wipe, especially if you want to go the land destruction/threatened land destruction route. Play of the Game is also maybe a good idea in a multiplayer setting.
- To protect yourself from mean opponents who hate fun, I could suggest Spirit of the Hearth, Leyline of Sanctity, Seht's Tiger...
- More O-Ring effects could be fun, so maybe Admonition Angel could be worth a look.
- Also, in lieu of Moat, maybe Magus of the Moat and, in that same vein, Magus of the Tabernacle could help to ensure that people don't mess with you (too much).
- In terms of Planeswalkers, the only one I can think of that might be useful is Elspeth Tirel, largely because she resets the board quite a bit and provides protection (plus, she's not the huge target that Elspeth, Knight-Errant or Elspeth, Sun's Champion are).
1 month ago
Yeah I'm hoping that I can get a quick Ghostly Prison in there by turn 3 in most games for fast creature decks. I think that as my deck moves to more and more creature combo pieces, cards like Porphyry Nodes and Magus of the Tabernacle get a little scarier for me lol.
As far as Teferi/Knowledge Pool, I absolutely love this combo and it's basically impossible to break. I just need a way to get them out much faster.
1 month ago
I completely forgot about Ethersworn Canonist! Thanks for reminding me! Tbh, I only have Cranial Plating/Etched Champion in there because I haven't really devised another wincon yet.. And that combo just seemed to go best with the deck, but I'd be happy to switch it up for something else.
Thanks for the reply!
1 month ago
I love Grand Arbiter Augustin IV decks, and I have one of my own that I have playtested a bunch, so here's some things I've noticed.
What I really like about this deck: I've never heard of Cleansing Meditation but it's such a great include now that I think about it that I think I will add this to my own list. Your enchantment base also has a lot of cards that I will definitely consider for my own list. The creature base also seems really solid, while being minimalist enough for all the other important spells. The land base is also pretty budget oriented (even though, and IDK if you know this because it doesn't say it on the price meter, but The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale is like 2 grand lol, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see this elsewhere, but it seemed weird because you don't have any other super expensive stuff - if you want a similar effect there is Magus of the Tabernacle).
Some general concerns: Mana Leak and Unsubstantiate are fine in other formats, but due to the high amount of mana in EDH games, they aren't very good in EDH in my opinion. Some of my favorite creatures like Magus of the Tabernacle, Peacekeeper, and Magus of the Moat are also not present.
Anyway, it's a great list, I love this sort of deck, and I wish you luck at making the entire EDH table really hate you for decks like this (that's why I play mean decks, IDK about you...)
1 month ago
You can run the sun, You only run one PW. It should be fine. In case things get a little rough though, always have a good bounce instant such as: Blink of an Eye Into the Roil Venser, Shaper Savant (My favorite)
I like running these cards in my deck in conjunction with the orbs. I run 3 PWs, that's the only reason I don't play the sun.
As for mana rocks, I see now some good one's in your deck. If, and only "if", you want to go big test out Mana Vault, Mana Crypt. Mox Amber Should work just fine as well. I am concerned for need to rebuild after a Armageddon, you could consider running Flagstones of Trokair, Oboro, Palace in the Clouds for recursion, and Land Taxis a must. Voltaic Key to untap the rocks. Commander's Sphere and Darksteel Ingot, Mind Stone. If you're feeling low on colored mana, Coalition Relic and Chromatic Lantern can help.
Select your rocks carefully to match your playstyle. Just, don't overdue. You need to stax the hell out of them, mercy is not an option here.
If you need some more staxing effects, might I suggest: Energy Flux to break artifact themed-decks. Pendrell Mists and Magus of the Tabernacle to break creature heavy decks. Cards that steal control of permanents can also be good. By the way,Phyrexian Metamorph is a great card for a sneaky play (either coping something good or something like a Ulamog).
Dismiss into Dream can be situational, but can also be a great weapon against pump, equipment or aura decks.
5 months ago
I think a big problem with control is the multiplayer aspect of EDH. impossible to counter everything from 3 players, and trying makes you the target. I'd go with stax, what GAAIV already does.
Stax: Chancellor of the Annex,Spelltithe Enforcer, Kataki, War's Wage, Overburden, Meekstone, Lodestone Golem, Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Fatespinner, Windborn Muse, Magus of the Tabernacle, Magus of the Moat, Trinisphere, Suppression Field, Pendrell Mists
Even if you don't go into the stax strategy hardcore, a lot of these might still be useful for you. Good luck!