Eat to Extinction
Exile target creature or planeswalker. Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card into your graveyard.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Eat to Extinction Discussion
1 month ago
For an aggro deck, this deck isn't very fast. However, since I don't quite get what you're going for, I'll stick to more basic card selections. Bloodchief's Thirst is both creature and planeswalker removal and is just way better than Eat to Extinction or Mutual Destruction . Heartless Act is better than Mutual Destruction as well. Of course, if you're an aggro deck, you probably shouldn't be sideboarding in too much removal for fear of slowing your deck too much. Necromentia , for example, is far too slow and will sometimes give your opponent a blocker.
In general you just have a lot of cards that aren't great for aggro. This might work okay as a midrange deck, but stay away from three-mana anthem effects like Glorious Anthem . Use Rally the Ranks if you must, and cut the cats.
1 month ago
Withercrown is terrible removal/drain. By rule of thumb, things that give your opponents decisions are bad for you because they'll choose what's best for them. Eat to Extinction also isn't great. Heartless Act is just way better, or Extinction Event for exile if you really need it.
You should probably be focused on the board though, and not on removing your opponent's things or disrupting their hand. This is an aggro deck, after all. Perhaps Embercleave is good here.
2 months ago
if you try it be warned you may start playing cards that don't make any sense to normal people
example today i swapped out Snuff Out for Eat to Extinction
any normal magic player would tell you Snuff Out would be the better choice
but for me i have a tight cmc and this card slot is dedicated to spending 4 mana so the casting cost reduction has no value
next i am running Living Death while already milling players adding destroying creatures to a function doesn't make sense to me
thats why exile is a low priority function in the deck, also self mill is a mid priority
so Eat to Extinction synergizes with two priority functions while fitting into the card slot dedicated to 4 cmc, instant, with 1 black mana symbol to cast.
one card clearly has a better power level yet the other card fits the pattern and therefore will perform better in the deck
2 months ago
it's not really a matter of proactive vs. reactive here. it's simply a matter of who's turn it is. that can sometimes put you in a less strategic place if you think about it.
shepherds ability can be better used reactively in more typical senses, like sacrificing a creature in response to counter an opponent's Eat to Extinction or waiting for the opponent to tap out so you know they can't respond with Cling to Dust to exile the creature before you can. (i don't know what cards people play these are just examples)
with shepherd vs. tergrid, it's more of a unique interaction that can be restrictive of both players simply because it gets down to the real nitty gritty of the rules.
-correct me if i'm wrong on anything anyone thanks
4 months ago
I am confused by this deck, for I do not understand its purpose. To start with, you have some some demons - big, expensive demons - and a small amount of ramp to help get them out eventually but I don't see any real synergy or payoff beyond Liliana's Contract. Many of these, as well as cards like Severed Strands, have abilities that require sacrificing other creatures but you have almost no token producers to make fodder and your other creatures seem to have been chosen to be useful when they're still alive. I would think about adding in more cheap things, preferably with a death trigger (low CMC is good for Citadel too) and maybe even Grave Pact effects if you take this further. These could replace things like Gifted Aetherborn (you have no vampire synergy and if you just want Deathtouch Foulmire Knight does that and more). Might be worth checking out some of the Rakdos Sacrifice staples such as Demon's Disciple, Village Rites and Archfiend's Vessel. Not having Rune-Scarred Demon is pretty strange too. Finally I think some of your other spells can just be upgraded: for the same price as Murder you could have Hero's Downfall/Murderous Rider or one more gives you the excellent Eat to Extinction; In Garruk's Wake is so expensive you'll usually wish you had a straight Damnation or Kindred Dominance while Beacon of Unrest gives you some more options and is reusable when compared to other spells. I wouldn't bother with Desecrated Tomb at all - design is great but at the end of the day it costs three and the return on it is a singular 1/1 when you resurrect something. This will not win you a game of commander. On the subject of reanimation, if that's one of your main lines then graveyard stockers such as Buried Alive are vital. While I quite like the look of the deck I would think about which aspects you like about it most (controlling opponents, value sacrifice, reanimation, casting big demons etc) and focus on just two or three of these. This will make your deck increasingly consistent and harder to disrupt as you'll have more redundancy. Hope that helps!
Oh and don't play Karn. You need him in the 99 to access that sideboard (which doesn't exist in EDH, so check with playgroup before you play that btw) and even then you'll probably only ever get one activation. If those cards are strong enough to be in your deck, and I see none which combo with with the rest of it beyond being good like the swords, then make room for them there. Do you honestly think that any opponent will allow you to untap with a Karn after they see you fetch Mycosynth Lattice? No, they'll kill him and leave you with a card that does absolutely nothing for you as you have no "artifacts matters" strategies and in fact might benefit them by being able to tap lands for other colours, something of no use to you in mono-black. I run him in a Karn, Silver Golem deck that is specifically focussed on artifacts but even there it's all about the static and I only play him when I think he'll survive. The "sideboard" he can fetch is the set of Kaldra pieces and Argentum Armor for flavour which I mainly keep on hand to swap out for the harsher stax cards.
5 months ago
Cool deck! You might like these:
- Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar (emotional support.. lizard?)
- Contagion (could represent fleas, and has a nice cat in the art)
- Bolt Hound (is a pup and supports your commanders)
- Black Cat
- Jackal Familiar
- Cruel Feeding
- Feed the Swarm
- Eat to Extinction
- Dust Corona (could depict fleas?)
- Furor of the Bitten (bitten by fleas = rage!!)
- Uncontrolled Infestation
- Basilisk Collar
- Sparring Collar
5 months ago
Optimator: Hello there! Always gotta love Vilis decks, especially as detailed as this one :D A lot of cards in Maybeboard would fit the deck really well (I just have no idea why you got some cards two or three times there), but I would try to minimalize the maybeboard as much as possible, to not look the deck so chaotic.
I run Vilis in my Syr Konrad's For the Void deck.. he doesnt really fit the theme/idea of the deck so well, but Vilis is just too badass to cut out :D (anyway, any feedback/suggestions would be welcomed aswell <3 )
Some cards in deck I would cut, why, and their replacement:
1) Falkenrath Noble - might be a nice card in an aristocrat deck, there isnt really any way to generate->sac big amount of your creatures to abuse Falkenrath Noble as much as possible, also costs . If you want an aristocrat, Bastion of Remembrance could be a possible option aswell. Its cheaper, gives you a 1/1 token and has the same effect as F.Noble. Sure, can't attack or block, but Bastion is also harder to remove since its an Enchantment.
2) Leaden Myr - as you already mentioned, a possible cut for some other mana-rock.. I would switch it for Malakir Rebirth Flip as an another kind of "protection" to either Vilis or another important creature at the moment. With Vilis on board, it even draws you two cards (destroy protection, draw two cards, triggering aristocrat-like effects at instant speed for only ? YES PLEASE! ). In worse case scenario, its also additional land drop. Another possible replacement could be Blood Celebrant, which synergies well with both Vilis and K'riik.
3) Liliana's Contract - would probably fit better in some Demon tribal deck or Conspiracy deck. You also have only six Demons in your deck, all of them with fairly high mana cost. As a better card-draw, I would add either Greed, since it draws you 3 cards with Vilis on board, maybe even Skullclamp that would draw you two cards every turn with Ophiomancer, but Greed would be most likey better option, since there isnt really any other way to generate a lot of tokens every turn.
4) Crux of Fate - no Dragons in your deck, not even so many of them in black in general, so outside of politic reason, other 5CMC or less boardwipes would be better. I personally love Life's Finale, its more expensive than Crux of Fate, but enables you to look and search in target opponent's deck and put up to 3 creatures from their deck into theri graveyard, which would synergize with Chainer, Dementia Master, Geth, Lord of the Vault and some other.
5) Ruinous Path - sorcery speed removal is kinda meh, so something like Hero's Downfall is just better. I personally like Eat to Extinction, even if its more expensive, it helps with top-deck managment (+exiles targeted creature/pw).
6) Cut few swamps for:
6a) Cabal Stronghold - Stronghold is cheap, can tap itself for and can give you plenty of later on.
6b) Emergence Zone - I personally love this utility land, just because it gives you spells Flash whenever you sac it. It doesnt ETB tapped and can help you casting some stuff when you sac it.
7) Chaos Wand - might be a fun card, but doesnt really fit the deck at all. I would cut it for Bontu's Monument to make a lot of your big black stuff cheaper and another small source of life-gain.
8) Big mana-rocks: Gilded Lotus and Thran Dynamo - I used to run those too, but slowly started replacing them with cheaper mana rocks like Thought Vessel and Arcane Signet. Hedron Archive is okay-ish since it can draw you two cards when you no longer need it, but with Vilis and especially mono-black, there can always be enough card draw.
9) Spellbook - would be fine, if you didnt manage to get your Reliquary Tower or Venser's Journal on board, but otherwise its just a dead card that does nothing to you anymore. I would rather replace it with Ivory Tower to get some life back.
10) Curtains' Call - I would replace this one for one of the following:
10a) Devour in Shadow/Vendetta - cheap removal that can potentionaly draws you X cards aswell.
10b) Dismember - depending on how big the creature is, but since you could cast it for only one and draw 4 cards aswell, its decent choice aswell.
10c) Snuff Out - free removal in 99.999% time, which can draws you 4 cards aswell, but not for black creatures, which, depending on your opponent's deck, might be important. Still most likely a better option.
10d) Tragic Slip - goes through indestructible, but requires a creature to die to be maximum effective, which might be sometimes a problem. Still, really good one.
10e) Malicious Affliction - another cheap removal, which is also locked to non-black creatures, but is able to destroy two creatures if a creature died already, so similar issue like Tragic Slip.
10f) Profane Command - I just totally love this card. Its not instant, but can be really flexible in various situations, so I would probably go for this as a replacement.
10g) Erebos's Intervention - similar to Profane Command, it flexile aswell, providing you to remove some indestructible creature and get some life; or serves as a fairly decent graveyard hate at instant speed.
I won't go through cards in maybeboard, even though there is plenty of really nice cards that would work so well in Vilis's deck, like Bolas's Citadel, Doom Whisperer, Font of Agonies and Phyrexian Reclamation and many more, it would just be a little too much, I would say... :D
I hope some of my suggestions will help, gonna upvote this for sure, just because it looks really nice, especially with so many possible cards that could easily fit so well :)
5 months ago
Deadly Rollick is a new removal spell that can cost 0 when you have your commander out. also Eat to Extinction is another removal that has built-in self-mill on it, that can deal with planeswalkers too.